RD 2, Pick 41: LB Reggie Ragland, University of Alabama

Beerball

Wtf. He was worth 19 but not 2 4ths? Does not compute.

To you it doesnt compute, to me it does. Based on your comments I could understand you being like wtf but, A lot of things changed during last nights draft tho, a lot of people fell to the 2nd and Shaq fell to us. Im not mad at it just didnt see it coming with a trade up. Im psyched our defense finally has a leadership guy tho.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL may WANT to trend toward the pass game, however the majority of the NFL QBs worth anything are nearing 40 years old. I simply dont see the top QB talent being replenished. The running game is going to make a comeback when these young QBs start proving they cant play like Brady, Manning, Breesect.

That's fine. Brady is still in the division for the near future and if you want to take the crown you need to act accordingly. We already have Preston Brown, now you add in Ragland who is a similar player. When they go no huddle your going to see Ragland gassed while we get picked apart. Is Ragland the problem? Nope. The problem I have is trading up with a favorable board and taking a player who really doesn't put you any closer to where your trying to go. Will he have some big hits? Yep. Is he a good kid and a better leader than Preston in the middle? Yep. He will still get exploited when it matters most? Jake Coker gassed him why won't Brady?

It's never popular to question a decision but when I look at the likes of Ragland, Preston, Corey G, a very questionable Awil, and a bigger guy in Lawson playing opposite Hughes that really only leaves Zach Brown and Hughes to cover outside of the safeties. Neither one of our safeties are sure things right now. Very weak down the middle defending the pass. So now Hughes your best pass rusher is defaulted into coverage? So now Lawson may or may not have less time doing what he excels at? Did Whaley draft two guys who are elite at what they do? Yep. Do they mesh with each other and the talent around them? I just think we are way to slow in the front 7 and trading up wasn't really nessecary. Flame away, I'm not some poster who continually bashes Rex and company. Oh well.

If they were considering Ragland at 19, I have no problem with them moving up to get him so as to not miss out on him, using an extra 4th this year, and a 4th next year. And the difference in points to move up, per the draft value chart, was 80 points. Their 4th this year is 60 and the 4th next year is considered a mid-5th rounder this year, which is about 33 points. As for the aorta, likely won't be an issue for him until his playing days are over.

Wrong thread for this so this will be my last comment here but Rex took him from promising to the lowest graded LB in the league then mocked him for being timid and dumb. Now they draft a guy in the same position. You don't have to be a psychic. Brown seems like a good dude and I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

They wont release Preston we need him for depth, and it coulda also been the sophomore slump and having to be the QB of the defense with a new playbook, and moving to MLB was a all little too much for him to overcome

That's fine. Brady is still in the division for the near future and if you want to take the crown you need to act accordingly. We already have Preston Brown, now you add in Ragland who is a similar player. When they go no huddle your going to see Ragland gassed while we get picked apart. Is Ragland the problem? Nope. The problem I have is trading up with a favorable board and taking a player who really doesn't put you any closer to where your trying to go. Will he have some big hits? Yep. Is he a good kid and a better leader than Preston in the middle? Yep. He will still get exploited when it matters most? Jake Coker gassed him why won't Brady?

It's never popular to question a decision but when I look at the likes of Ragland, Preston, Corey G, a very questionable Awil, and a bigger guy in Lawson playing opposite Hughes that really only leaves Zach Brown and Hughes to cover outside of the safeties. Neither one of our safeties are sure things right now. Very weak down the middle defending the pass. So now Hughes your best pass rusher is defaulted into coverage? So now Lawson may or may not have less time doing what he excels at? Did Whaley draft two guys who are elite at what they do? Yep. Do they mesh with each other and the talent around them? I just think we are way to slow in the front 7 and trading up wasn't really nessecary. Flame away, I'm not some poster who continually bashes Rex and company. Oh well.

If we grab the BPA at Saftey, NT, CB, and WR with the rest of our picks I think it will work out. We have good CBs with Darby and Gilmore and Robey (i know he slumped last year but hes good), I think Saftey is the biggest hole they gotta fill now.

I feel like something needs to be clarified for the people who complain about Ragland's speed.

Yes, there are knocks on his speed. But that means Ragland is too slow to be Von Miller; it doesn't mean he's too slow to play mike in the NFL. He has all the makings to be a good/really good lb for us.

I don't mind Ragland...I'm on record saying I would be fine with him at #49...

I would have preferred not giving up two 4th's...But they are trusting the value on their board...So... B-)

If they really like the kid (and they did since they considered him at 19) and thought he'd be gone by 49, I have no problem with the trade up. Since they have another 4th this year, it softens the blow, and next year's draft is a concern for a year from now.

Ragland's a nice fit in Ryan's defense, though, because he can be the cerebral center of the defense.

The former Bama backer isn't just an old-school thumper, although that is primarily his game. He registered four sacks over the last two years under Nick Saban, which should mean some nice versatility in Ryan's defense.

And 10 passes defensed is nothing to sneeze at, not to mention, as Doug Whaley pointed out after the pick, a good example of his athleticism.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Had to listen to the picks on NFL Radio. I found myself fist pumping when Ragland was selected. Just love the pick and the value. We had an extra 4th this year, so we basically gave away next years 4th to move up and get a 1st round, immediate starter at LB from an NFL style college defense. I could care less about his wonderlic. His speed is more than good for an ILB, especially in a 3-4. I just see a beast who will help with our run support, clog the holes, and overall lead this team.

This pick makes me like the Lawson pick a ton more. I'm very, VERY happy with how this worked out.

Edited by FireRex

I was out to eat. Just getting back now. They had the draft on TV there but I couldn't hear it. Did you guys all freak out when they traded up? Everyone had to be thinking QB. Who trades up to get a MLB besides the Bills?!

Anyhow, I think Ragland will be a good player but I'm concerned that they think he can be the weak side LB. Typically that's a super athletic guy like Bradham or Kiko. I would have pegged Ragland as the thumper guy like what Preston Brown does. I guess we'll see! Whaley wanted him at 19 if Shaq wasn't there so that'd pretty telling

Oh boy. This feels like a Rex move -- so obsessed with stopping the run.

Not too thrilled about this, but on the bright side our current ILB's are so terrible it's almost guaranteed he starts.

I just don't understand how you can think one while also thinking the other.

For real?

I was out to eat. Just getting back now. They had the draft on TV there but I couldn't hear it. Did you guys all freak out when they traded up? Everyone had to be thinking QB. Who trades up to get a MLB besides the Bills?!

Anyhow, I think Ragland will be a good player but I'm concerned that they think he can be the weak side LB. Typically that's a super athletic guy like Bradham or Kiko. I would have pegged Ragland as the thumper guy like what Preston Brown does. I guess we'll see! Whaley wanted him at 19 if Shaq wasn't there so that'd pretty telling

I wasn't think QB at all. Round three or later.

This also annoys me.

Rex is living in the past. Kicking the **** out of the QB means A LOT more then stopping the rush.... But Rex is smarter than everyone.

We get it. In a thread about Reggie Ragland, youve made your feelings on Rex perfectly clear multiple times. You got anything else?

Scared?

After watching last season I don't expect it to get any better. The defense may get better but I can see the offense taking a step back as we sacrafice this draft for Rexy.

No confidence in their abilities. Scared to see what becomes of the team under their tutelage.

At the same time, I cannot be unhappy with the talent that is being given to them.

Unless you know that Ragland would have been available at 49 then how can you say he fell to us? You preferred Ragland over Lawson or you thought Lawson would be gone by 19? If it's the latter you CANNOT be disappointed in how this draft has worked out.

2 4th round picks...BFD.

I am not disappointed at all. I thought Lawson would be gone before 19 realistically, then a million trades and Tunsil sliding changed a lot. I think this draft has really worked out in our favor so far

EDIT: I said fell to us because I thought someone in the 1st AFTER 19 would have drafted him, I was wrong tho.

Edited by Marty McFly

Scared?

After watching last season I don't expect it to get any better. The defense may get better but I can see the offense taking a step back as we sacrafice this draft for Rexy.

Sacrifice? The Bills have studs at #1 WR, RB, and TE, very good OL at LT, LG, C, a promising QB, and some decent backups at WR, RB, and TE. I think Miller will be a lot better in his second season. That leaves RT. Not a whole lot in the draft, but they still a chance to address it. They weren't going to take a RT with either of their top-2 picks.

Sacrifice? The Bills have studs at #1 WR, RB, and TE, very good OL at LT, LG, C, a promising QB, and some decent backups at WR, RB, and TE. I think Miller will be a lot better in his second season. That leaves RT. Not a whole lot in the draft, but they still a chance to address it. They weren't going to take a RT with either of their top-2 picks.

If the guys on offense stay healthy, they will be good with the talent on hand.

When did 4th round picks become gold?

Seriously is there anything that would make some of you happy?

^^^^

This. Maybe someone can post the current starters who were 4th round picks.

But....you wanted him in the first. So that means you don't think a first round pick is worth a 2d and two fourths?

Depends who the pick is but, nah I was surprised. Still support it, I woulda taken him in the 1st if the whole world didnt slide to us 1st.

I just don't understand how you can think one while also thinking the other.

For real?

Because I don't think he's a 3 down LB. We'll see when teams go hurry up to try and trap him on the field.

If you're going to trade up, then trade up for Jack.