Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

Absolutely.

It does feel wrong to crap on a 10 win season, but It's the truth though, isn't it? Take a look at their season.

I don't know man. You are what your record says you are. The Jets were thought of as garbage going into the season and they won 10 games and had a good look at the playoffs. They had a good season.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is pure speculation that Bills would win get them to .500. Bills sometimes lose games they should win and there is no guarantee with Bengals defense and their attitude of "I don't care if it is against the rules, I'll complain about fines later" that Tyrod would have come out healthy out of that game. Tyrod LIKE Fritz sometimes takes too many chances running the ball past down marker.

If you think that he would have been worse vs. Jacksonville I don't know what to tell you.

Fitz threw almost 9 more times a game than Taylor. It was more on him to carry his offense than TT. Also, wasn't Taylor's offense totally tailored (look at that pun!) to his strengths as well?

Taylor was better at protecting the ball and running. Fitz was better in almost every other statistical category. Obviously, Taylor's arrow seems to be pointing up while Fitz is going down. But Fitz was a very solid to good qb who helped a Jets team most people thought was going to be bad have 10 wins.

Thats fair. If asked to do more though, I wouldn't have expected the mistakes to skyrocket. They would have grown but so would all of the other stats.

I have been banging the Fitz drum since he was here. I said, "be careful what you wish for." He is definitely a starting QB IMO.

Of course bud. If for no other reason for us to endlessly comment as it is fun. It is cutting into my "Big Bang Theory" and "The Blacklist" episodes. Thank god for on demand.

They are DVRed at my house!!

I have to go to a rehearsal dinner and am dreading it!! I am going off my phone and tuning out for the 1st 2 hours. I will start the draft at about 10:30 EST.

If you think that he would have been worse vs. Jacksonville I don't know what to tell you.

Thats fair. If asked to do more though, I wouldn't have expected the mistakes to skyrocket. They would have grown but so would all of the other stats.

I have been banging the Fitz drum since he was here. I said, "be careful what you wish for." He is definitely a starting QB IMO.

That's fair as well. I think Taylor can be a better qb with worse stats next year. He did a solid Alex Smith impression this year. I want to see more from him winning games, especially with his arm.

We will see what happens next year. Teams will be studying him hard this offseason. Hopefully he progresses on the Russell Wilson track more than the Mike Vick one.

I have to give credit to the jets GM for standing his ground here and knowing Fitz's real value

This is the kind of logic that the Bills began using post Donahoe.

That's when it all went to complete sh*t.

Nate Clements? Too expensive, just draft another in round 1. Then it turns into McKelvin. First round pick wasted trying to get back to square one and didn't even do that.

But they saved money.

Pat Williams becomes Deadweight McCargo.

But they saved money.

Fletcher becomes Poz.....who becomes a free agent and leaves while Fletch is still playing well in Washington. :lol:

Savedmoney!

Travis Henry becomes McGahee becomes Lynch becomes Spiller....a 2nd and 3 firsts for three guys that didn't even finish their first contracts in Buffalo....then you gotta' pay LeSean McCoy $40M for 800 yards because Spiller was a flop.

Saved, saved, saved..... then spent somewhere around $60M in used and guaranteed cap space for the production of Spiller and McCoy(to date).

But I digress......

The Jets should come to an agreement with Fitz, even if they gotta' actually pay more than they think he's worth.

This isn't the Fitz that was in Buffalo.......he's still a choker but he's a considerably better QB and they are a pretty talented team that can win now if a few things fall right.

They aren't a good enough organization to be careless with an opportunity like they have this year......they come around far too infrequently.

Fitzgerald should jump at that!!

I agree, they think that they are playing hardball but they have no options.

Plus you would think Fitz would recognize that some of the best seasons he's had statistically have been with Chan Gailey. Grass isn't always greener.

The Jets with Fitzpatrick are the 2nd best team in the division.

The Jets without Fitzpatrick are battling for the basement with Buffalo.

HUH?

The Jets with Fitzpatrick are the 2nd best team in the division.

The Jets without Fitzpatrick are battling for the basement with Buffalo.

HUH?

2015 would argue that point.

To be better you have to beat a team.

Fitz showed what he is, and has always been, the last game of the season against the Bills. Our D was mediocre all season, but forced him into several poor decisions, and he imploded, like he usually did.

He has been with how many teams now, doesn't it make you wonder why he never hangs around very long?

He is average at best. I didn't like him when we signed him, and couldn't wait to get him out of here.

Weo, I almost fell off my chair, we agree on something. Just kidding bud as you have a lot of Well thought out ideas.

It doesn't hurt that bad, dose it? lol

Fitz showed what he is, and has always been, the last game of the season against the Bills. Our D was mediocre all season, but forced him into several poor decisions, and he imploded, like he usually did.

He has been with how many teams now, doesn't it make you wonder why he never hangs around very long?

He is average at best. I didn't like him when we signed him, and couldn't wait to get him out of here.

Yeah, the Jets should just tell their fans that they are going with Geno Smith--a guy who lost his job to Fitz....due to the humiliation of being punched by a team mate!

Or maybe they will say "Hey fans, we let "Pickspatrick" go and signed Verne TrHoyer--the guy who threw 4 ints in his playoffs appearance last season!!!"

Get your money back from that online GM course you took...

I know he does a lot of brain training to keep his mind sharp to try and ward off the effects of concussions. I wonder if he's realizing that it's not worth it to play anymore at X amount of money. It would only be worth it if he was making more.

Or he could just be bluffing because he doesn't really have much leverage at this point. The Jets can just get Hoyer for cheap and there's not going to be much of a dropoff

$39M in career earnings and a degree from Harvard. He's gonna be okay if he doesn't play again. This sort of situation is important with players that have made big money. Most won't play for anything but a premium contract after awhile. That's why so many are retiring when their play drops off. I remember Urlacher talking about it. He was diplomatic, but the gist was that he wasn't going to play for $2M. It just wasn't worth it to him after what he had already made.

I have to give credit to the jets GM for standing his ground here and knowing Fitz's real value

Fitz' real value is the same as Chase Daniel, a guy who has started 2 games and completed 50 passes in the NFL? I think he can make a case he's worth more than that.

I had heard, dunno if it's true, that one reason we didn't draft a QB until the end of the Chix/Nailey era is that the Bills consistently had lower round grades on QB they liked, than where they were drafted.

Now I understand looking at the QB market and saying "$12M guaranteed, $7M/yr for 3 years for a guy who has started 2 games and completed 50 passes in the NFL? That's NUTS!" or "$37M guaranteed, $12M signing bonus for a 4th year guy who has started 7 games and didn't look that great? That's NUTS!"

But if that's how the draft values a QB, and that's how other teams value a QB, then I guess standing your ground gives you a lot of moral value. But moral value doesn't complete passes.

I go with the media pundit who quipped that Fitzpatrick is a QB that teams have repeatedly moved on from, then done a completely inadequate job of replacing.

$39M in career earnings and a degree from Harvard. He's gonna be okay if he doesn't play again. This sort of situation is important with players that have made big money. Most won't play for anything but a premium contract after awhile. That's why so many are retiring when their play drops off. I remember Urlacher talking about it. He was diplomatic, but the gist was that he wasn't going to play for $2M. It just wasn't worth it to him after what he had already made.

Is that what he's made? Wow. I'm sure it's decently invested and you're right, he need not play again. Edit: web reports say net worth of $24M which would align pretty exactly with that. If it's invested decently, a 4% draw is $.96M a year and a guy without a hugely lavish lifestyle can support his family in good style for that.

I know he does a lot of brain training to keep his mind sharp to try and ward off the effects of concussions. I wonder if he's realizing that it's not worth it to play anymore at X amount of money. It would only be worth it if he was making more.

Or he could just be bluffing because he doesn't really have much leverage at this point. The Jets can just get Hoyer for cheap and there's not going to be much of a dropoff

And on the note of "teams have moved on...but done an inadequate job of replacing.."...I wonder if (in private) O'Brien would agree with you.

I doubt Fitz is bluffing. I think he and his agent had The Talk and that's how he feels. Jake Plummer retired after a 10 year season when he was replaced by Jay Cutler and traded off to Tampa Bay, feeling "I'd rather not play, than play under these conditions". I can see Fitz feeling "wow, I've had two back to back good years, best year of my 10 year career in 2015, and the NFL values me like a guy who's completed 50 damn passes and started 2 damn games? For that, I'll take my ball and go home - play with my kids and make it to all their games"

But time will tell.

Edited by Hopeful