Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

I wonder what the ballpark figure is around Fitz's contract offer.

The reports were the offer was ~Chase Daniels money. Some said "not quite as good" others said "a bit better"

Chase Daniel got a 3 year, $21M contract, $12M guaranteed, $7M a year, $6M signing bonus. How I interpret "not quite as good" "a bit better" is that the salary was a bit better (recent reports are $8M) but some other aspect not as good - the signing money or the guaranteed.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably just saw his wife's visa bill

@briancoz

I spoke to a source who said the report about Fitzpatrick being willing to sit out is not true. Fitz wants to play. #nyj

His wife is a damn smart woman (a Harvard grad) and a very talented athlete in her own right. If she runs up a Visa bill, it's by keeping their kids in cleats and shinguards.

Both reports can be true. Fitz probably does very much want to play, and is also very much insulted by the value the Jets have put on him (like Chase Daniel, would be 23rd highest paid QB).

I don't know if I'd call TT a much better player than Fitz. I know we're a Bills board and can't give ex players' credit, but Fitz was really good. He was asked at times to win games for the Jets with his arm, something TT has rarely had to do. Fitz played really well in both games against NE.

TT certainly can be better than Fitz. But I don't see a much better player yet. We had to beat Kellen Moore and Fitz to even get to .500.

Yeah, I kind of see it this way. Fitz vs TT is sort of like asking if good buffalo wings are better than a good burger. Both can be mighty tasty, but they're neither of them high-end gourmet food and when they're not well-cooked from good ingredients, they can be pretty sad.

Taylor, despite what some here say, has an unknown ceiling at this point. He's started less than a season, he seems really motivated, he has the potential to improve. Hope springs eternal. He could become gourmet.

Fitz, a 10 year league veteran, pretty much "is what he is" at this point. At the moment, overall, I would have to say he's a better all-around QB than TT, but TT has a much better arm and throwing motion and obviously much better running ability, and the potential to improve his ability to read the field and make good decisions.

how did we sweep them?

This is a pet peeve of mine.

We swept the Jets because Hot Damn we were prepared. We had an effective game plan. Our players were well-prepared, disciplined and executed well.

We swept the Jets on a glimpse of what the Rex Ryan-coached Bills could become, if he only prepared every game as though he were facing the team that spurned him.

Edited by Hopeful

Is that what he's made? Wow. I'm sure it's decently invested and you're right, he need not play again. Edit: web reports say net worth of $24M which would align pretty exactly with that. If it's invested decently, a 4% draw is $.96M a year and a guy without a hugely lavish lifestyle can support his family in good style for that.

Yeah. Got cash earnings from Spotrac. I'm sure he's got a minimum amount of money he will play for and it clearly isn't what the Jets are offering. $1M a year sure would support a pretty lavish lifestyle in my view. Maybe not as much for someone's who made his kind of money, but he's smart guy. He knows how to weigh the risks here.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/ryan-fitzpatrick/cash-earnings/

Winning 5 in a row, and 6 of the last 7 games against the Jests doesn't make it an upset.

It makes it an asswhoopin'.

It makes the Jets a favorable matchup for us, perhaps. It doesn't make us a better team vs. the rest of the league. Hence two winning records since the turn of the century.

Why is it so difficult to simply admit that the Jets were a better team last year?

It makes the Jets a favorable matchup for us, perhaps. It doesn't make us a better team vs. the rest of the league. Hence two winning records since the turn of the century.

Why is it so difficult to simply admit that the Jets were a better team last year?

Because they weren't as evidenced by the fact the Bills beat them heads up twice.

If only there was a way to determine which team is better. And then repeat that same thing again several weeks later, in a different venue, just to be sure it wasn't a fluke the first time.

Oh well, I guess we will never know.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Because they weren't as evidenced by the fact the Bills beat them heads up twice.

Those two wins and $1 will still only get you a cup of Newman's Own at McDonald's.

I'm happy that beating the Jets twice/year = a successful season to you.

Going 10-6 and playing a meaningful Week 17 is more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

This is the kind of logic that the Bills began using post Donahoe.

That's when it all went to complete sh*t.

Nate Clements? Too expensive, just draft another in round 1. Then it turns into McKelvin. First round pick wasted trying to get back to square one and didn't even do that.

But they saved money.

Pat Williams becomes Deadweight McCargo.

But they saved money.

Fletcher becomes Poz.....who becomes a free agent and leaves while Fletch is still playing well in Washington. :lol:

Savedmoney!

Travis Henry becomes McGahee becomes Lynch becomes Spiller....a 2nd and 3 firsts for three guys that didn't even finish their first contracts in Buffalo....then you gotta' pay LeSean McCoy $40M for 800 yards because Spiller was a flop.

Saved, saved, saved..... then spent somewhere around $60M in used and guaranteed cap space for the production of Spiller and McCoy(to date).

But I digress......

The Jets should come to an agreement with Fitz, even if they gotta' actually pay more than they think he's worth.

This isn't the Fitz that was in Buffalo.......he's still a choker but he's a considerably better QB and they are a pretty talented team that can win now if a few things fall right.

They aren't a good enough organization to be careless with an opportunity like they have this year......they come around far too infrequently.

Great post. To be fair, though, you have to let players go on occasion. The problem for the Bills hasn't been that; it's been replacing them with high round picks. The Steelers used to always let good LBs go, but they replaced those guys with really good players from rounds 3-6. The Bills replace their departures with top 10 picks. There's a difference!

Those two wins and $1 will still only get you a cup of Newman's Own at McDonald's.

I'm happy that beating the Jets twice/year = a successful season to you.

Going 10-6 and playing a meaningful Week 17 is more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Now you've just changed your argument. I'm not arguing, nor do I believe, that the Bills had a successful season. They under achieved. But that's not the same question as which was the better team. Head to head the Jets got handled by the Bills twice -- once w their post season hopes on the line.

By the only measuring stick that matters -- head to head -- the Bills were clearly better than the Jests.

Now you've just changed your argument. I'm not arguing, nor do I believe, that the Bills had a successful season. They under achieved. But that's not the same question as which was the better team. Head to head the Jets got handled by the Bills twice -- once w their post season hopes on the line.

By the only measuring stick that matters -- head to head -- the Bills were clearly better than the Jests.

So you're telling me that ... at the end of the season that you think a 10-6 team is not better than an 8-8 team.

You must be derang ... wait, forget it.

Edited by Gugny

Can't believe I'm going to agree with Gungy here but head to head doesn't always determine who the better team was. Were the Rams better than the Seahawks last year? They swept the head to head meeting.

If the Bills went 8-8 and the Jets went 9-7 and the Bills swept I'd say the Bills have a case to make. But a 2 game swing in a 16 game season is too much to say the Bills were the better team. That being said I think the Bills underachieved and moving forward I'd expect them to finish ahead of the Jets this season but I'd give the nod to the Jets last year.

So you're telling me that ... at the end of the season that you think a 10-6 team is not better than an 8-8 team.

You must be derang ... wait, forget it.

Nope. I'm telling you the bills are better than a team they beat twice last year and the last five times they've played.

Can't believe I'm going to agree with Gungy here but head to head doesn't always determine who the better team was. Were the Rams better than the Seahawks last year? They swept the head to head meeting.

If the Bills went 8-8 and the Jets went 9-7 and the Bills swept I'd say the Bills have a case to make. But a 2 game swing in a 16 game season is too much to say the Bills were the better team. That being said I think the Bills underachieved and moving forward I'd expect them to finish ahead of the Jets this season but I'd give the nod to the Jets last year.

If a two game swing is meaningless why are we saying their extra two wins are more significant than the times they matched up on the field? There is so much luck that goes into winning games in the NFL because the teams are usually closely matched talent wise. The jets won two more games than the Bills, no one is denying that. All I'm saying is it is a really hollow argument to say the jets were better than the bills even though they haven't beaten them in going on three seasons.

Winning 5 in a row, and 6 of the last 7 games against the Jests doesn't make it an upset.

It makes it an asswhoopin'.

& it doesn't change the fact that the jets ended the season, basically the same schedule, with 2 more wins. That defines better. Would you like me to go back and find crap teams who beat the eventual SB champion? Your point would be that the crap team is better because, well, because it fits your narrative.

Nope. I'm telling you the bills are better than a team they beat twice last year and the last five times they've played.

I've had my fair share of Homer moments over the years. I'm sure I'll have more. But this sentiment belongs in the Homer Hall of Fame.

By zero stretch were the Bills a better team than the Jets last year ... regardless of their head-to-head matchups. Only a Homer of preposterous proportions would think otherwise.

Same schedule save for 2 games. Bills got Bengals and Chiefs (2 playoff teams combined 23-9) and the Jets got the Browns and Raiders (combined 10 and 22). Jets finished 2 games better and lost to the Bills both games.

THIS. Only a myopic contrarian that trips all over themself to not look like a homer would say the Jets are a better team.

Edited by Fortunesmith