Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

& it doesn't change the fact that the jets ended the season, basically the same schedule, with 2 more wins. That defines better. Would you like me to go back and find crap teams who beat the eventual SB champion? Your point would be that the crap team is better because, well, because it fits your narrative.

Incorrect. The jets had a better season. They were not a better team. Bad teams over perform all the time. Good teams underperform just as often.

I've had my fair share of Homer moments over the years. I'm sure I'll have more. But this sentiment belongs in the Homer Hall of Fame.

By zero stretch were the Bills a better team than the Jets last year ... regardless of their head-to-head matchups. Only a Homer of preposterous proportions would think otherwise.

Zero stretch? Not even the 120 minute stretch where the Bills outclassed the Jets on the field?

Your argument needs work.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incorrect.

So, what you are saying is the 2015 Colts are a better team than the 2015 Broncos because they beat them head to head. I want to give you one more chance to admit that your homeristic approach has you talking gibberish.

So, what you are saying is the 2015 Colts are a better team than the 2015 Broncos because they beat them head to head. I want to give you one more chance to admit that your homeristic approach has you talking gibberish.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the 2015 Bills were a better team than the 2015 (and 2014, 2013) Jets. The Jets won more games playing an easier schedule, by that metric they had a better season.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the 2015 Bills were a better team than the 2015 (and 2014, 2013) Jets. The Jets won more games playing an easier schedule, by that metric they had a better season.

You're saying that if a team beats another team they are better, regardless of the overall record of both teams. Now you're throwing in strength of schedule (even though they basically played the same schedule).

Overall record matters. Head to head is something that a losing team's fan base can point to & puff out their chest and shout "we're better than them, even though...."

Sorry, this is one of the silliest arguments I've ever been involved in at this place. Better equates to more wins.

With that I now bow out of this conversation because if I don't I'm likely to lose the little bit of my mind that I still have.

You're saying that if a team beats another team they are better, regardless of the overall record of both teams. Now you're throwing in strength of schedule (even though they basically played the same schedule).

Overall record matters. Head to head is something that a losing team's fan base can point to & puff out their chest and shout "we're better than them, even though...."

Sorry, this is one of the silliest arguments I've ever been involved in at this place. Better equates to more wins.

With that I now bow out of this conversation because if I don't I'm likely to lose the little bit of my mind that I still have.

That's not what I'm saying. That's what you want me to be saying but it's not.

I've had my fair share of Homer moments over the years. I'm sure I'll have more. But this sentiment belongs in the Homer Hall of Fame.

By zero stretch were the Bills a better team than the Jets last year ... regardless of their head-to-head matchups. Only a Homer of preposterous proportions would think otherwise.

I actually agree with you that the Jets were a better team than the Bills last year. I suspect, however, that our reasons for why that is the case are vastly different. You fail to understand that the offense outperformed anyone's wildest wet dreams and meanwhile, the defense did not hold up its end of the bargain. With every post, you are intimating that the reason the Jets did finish with a better record than the Bills last year is because they got better QB play than us. Which, of course, they did not.

Then again, you have now stated that:

a) The Bills QB situation is the worst it has been in your memory as a Bills fan, including the 1985 season, in which they were coming off of 2-14, just lost Joe Ferguson, their QB for the last decade, and were going into camp with a washed up Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison duking it out. They finished 2-14 again. But that, to you, was a better QB situation than a firmly-entrenched-as-starter Tyrod Taylor.

b) Tyrod Taylor is the worst (32nd best) starting QB in the NFL right now. There is literally not one NFL team you would not trade QB situations with.

c) And best of all, EJ Manuel > Ryan Tannehill > Tyrod Taylor.

You are not a homer at all. You are like the complete opposite of a homer.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I agree with you guys on this one but to be fair, for our two games that weren't the same, we got the Bengals and the Chiefs. They got the Browns and the Raiders. They dismantled the Browns as we would have. You switch the Bengals and the Browns and we're both 9-7. I think the caller's point is that yes, the Jets finished with a better record than the Bills last year, which is undeniable- they were a better team. But it's not like we have any ground to make up to overtake them. I don't think they're any better than us right now. I would be shocked if the Bills weren't ahead of the Jets in most preseason power rankings.

Incorrect. The jets had a better season. They were not a better team. Bad teams over perform all the time. Good teams underperform just as often.

Zero stretch? Not even the 120 minute stretch where the Bills outclassed the Jets on the field?

Your argument needs work.

The Bills must be the best team in the NFL every year....

I actually agree with you that the Jets were a better team than the Bills last year. I suspect, however, that our reasons for why that is the case are vastly different. You fail to understand that the offense outperformed anyone's wildest wet dreams and meanwhile, the defense did not hold up its end of the bargain. With every post, you are intimating that the reason the Jets did finish with a better record than the Bills last year is because they got better QB play than us. Which, of course, they did not.

Then again, you have now stated that:

a) The Bills QB situation is the worst it has been in your memory as a Bills fan, including the 1985 season, in which they were coming off of 2-14, just lost Joe Ferguson, their QB for the last decade, and were going into camp with a washed up Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison duking it out. They finished 2-14 again. But that, to you, was a better QB situation than a firmly-entrenched-as-starter Tyrod Taylor.

b) Tyrod Taylor is the worst (32nd best) starting QB in the NFL right now. There is literally not one NFL team you would not trade QB situations with.

c) And best of all, EJ Manuel > Ryan Tannehill > Tyrod Taylor.

You are not a homer at all. You are like the complete opposite of a homer.

You are close, but not really.

I think Tannehill is better than EJ, but EJ is better than Taylor.

Secondly, if you're trying to tell me that Taylor had a better 2015 (or career, for that matter) than Fitzpatrick, you are delusional.

Lastly, I don't intimate - I tell it like I see it. I did not, nor would I, say that the Jets ended up with the better record because of QB play. They had the better team. They had better coaches, QB and most importantly - defense. Defense is a huge reason the Bills went 8-8, just like it was a huge reason the Jets went 10-6.

So as much as you enjoy trying to make me out to be that guy who just hates Tyrod and blames everything bad on Tyrod ... I'm not. It's a team game and the Bills team sucked last year. The Jets were better.

End.

The reports were the offer was ~Chase Daniels money. Some said "not quite as good" others said "a bit better"

Chase Daniel got a 3 year, $21M contract, $12M guaranteed, $7M a year, $6M signing bonus. How I interpret "not quite as good" "a bit better" is that the salary was a bit better (recent reports are $8M) but some other aspect not as good - the signing money or the guaranteed.

Chase's contract was on a hope he would get better based on inside information of his progress but with signing a #1 QB which they had no guarantee to be able trade to that slot. Not with 3 QBs not sure what they will do.

It makes the Jets a favorable matchup for us, perhaps. It doesn't make us a better team vs. the rest of the league. Hence two winning records since the turn of the century.

Why is it so difficult to simply admit that the Jets were a better team last year?

Easy to admit it is a better team for Gungy and we should be happy for him!

Matchups within the division are more accurate as a qualifier for better team. Have to win in the division. Get outside the division and you really start to get a feel if your team is worth their salt. Even more so if you play on the opposite coast. Overcoming the odds is when a good team shines.

But record is everything at the end of the Day. That is how the league is designed.

at least until they expand the playoffs so everyone can get in !

Chase's contract was on a hope he would get better based on inside information of his progress but with signing a #1 QB which they had no guarantee to be able trade to that slot. Not with 3 QBs not sure what they will do.

Easy to admit it is a better team for Gungy and we should be happy for him!

The Iggles have spent a pile on QB.

They paid Chase Daniel a $6M signing/roster bonus this year, and guaranteed him $12M.

They gave Bradford $11M signing bonus this year, $7M salary, and guaranteed him $22M.

Now they're going to owe something like another $22M in contract, likely $10-12M in signing bonus, to their new shiny Wentz.

Near as I can figure, they've got something like $22M in cap space tied up in the QB position

That's a lot of $$ for 3 guys one of whom may or may not be Magical Franchise Man. You might think the QB position is real important or something.

But you can't say they didn't explore every angle.

I understand that they're hoping Chase Daniel has a high ceiling - but c'mon man, this is his 7th year in the league and he's completed 50 passes. You can't, or at least I can't, blame Fitz for feeling he's shown more than that.

& it doesn't change the fact that the jets ended the season, basically the same schedule, with 2 more wins. That defines better. Would you like me to go back and find crap teams who beat the eventual SB champion? Your point would be that the crap team is better because, well, because it fits your narrative.

So the two games in which they played different teams...that were of a much different quality. I'm not sure those 2 games are the ones you want to hang your hat on.

I know he does a lot of brain training to keep his mind sharp to try and ward off the effects of concussions. I wonder if he's realizing that it's not worth it to play anymore at X amount of money. It would only be worth it if he was making more.

Or he could just be bluffing because he doesn't really have much leverage at this point. The Jets can just get Hoyer for cheap and there's not going to be much of a dropoff

Dude has made far more than he could have reasonably expected coming into the league between contracts with the Bills, Texans and Jets the last few years...I'm sure he has invested well and has a ton of cash piled up...he doesn't need to play anymore, TBH.