NFL Live: Bills teams worst Super Bowl opponents as per Jaws

KDIGGZ

Bills were destroyed by the Redskins. that was about as one sided a game, forget a SB, I've ever seen. men vs boys. Rose Bowl Dallas SB was just turnovers -- who knows who the better team was... the other Dallas game we led at half , then ThurFumble sent that one away....

we were the better team vs. Giants, Parcells was smart to run right at 250lb Jeff Wright and it worked. still had it won, but we know what happened there....

This is about the most concise and accurate recap of the Bills' 4 SB losses I've seen. After the first 10 minutes of the Washington SB I thought "there's no way we win this."

We also should have given the ball to Thurman about 40 times in the first one.

I agree with many of you. Here are my thoughts . . .

Before many of the games, there was a feeling of dread because I felt one of the teams was over-matched. The Bills were never overmatched - they laid eggs, but were never overmatched!

Minnesota Vikings (Outclassed by all except the Dolphins.)

Superbowl IV (1970) lost 23-7 to KC

Superbowl VIII (1974) lost 24-7 to Pitt

Superbowl IX (1975) lost 16-6 to Miami

Superbowl XI (1977) lost 32-14 to Oakland

Denver Broncos (Completely overmatched in their last 3 losses. Lost a big 1st half lead and collapsed against Giants.)

Superbowl XII (1978) lost 27-10 to Dallas

Superbowl XXI (1987) lost 39-20 to Giants

Superbowl XXII (1988) lost 42-10 to Washington

Superbowl XXIV (1990) lost 55-10 to SF

Superbowl XLVIII (2014) lost 43-8 to Seattle

Patriots were never in SB XX (1986) vs the Bears who toyed with them and ran the Fridge and the score to 46-10

San Diego - in their only SB XXIX (1995) they lost badly to SF 49-26. I think they were spotted the 26 pts - I don't remember SD scoring. I just remember all the Steve Young TD passes.

Raiders loss to Tampa in SB XXXVII (2003) 48-21. This was unfair, Gruden (just left the Raiders) andknew everything the Raiders would do on both sides of the ball.

Giants loss to the Ravens in SB XXXV (2001) 34-7. DEE-fense. Giants never seemed to have a chance and when Dilfer started slinging TD's, you knew it was over.

Buffalo's turnover fest vs Dallas and the game against Washington don't come close to those listed above.

Good take except Tampa SB. If you remember, Bill Callahan was also on Oakland's team as the OC when gruden was there so they both knew each other. As far as Jaws, I've always noticed Jaws goes out of his way to bust on the Bills. I guess that's why Lackawanna HS changed their stadium name back to Lackawanna Stadium from Ron Jaworski Stadium.

No where near the worst but lets face it, outside of Bruce Smith the defenses were not good. AFC was the weaker conference.

We had better players but were outcoached against the Giants. Washington and Dallas had size and speed the likes of which the Bills had no chance against. If SanFrancisco could have made it to one of those SuperBowl games the Bills would have matched up far better.

Talley, Bennett, Conlan, Odomes, Kelso, Hansen, etc.?!?!?! So, now we're even getting unnecessarily negative about the glory days of the team. The yardage stats are a bit deceptive b/c they were on the field by design more than any other defense, but they had an above average if not dominant defense, although, ok, they were "not good" in the Super Bowls, if that's what you mean. Yes, they got outcoached (and were also unfocused) for the Giants. They had a terrible start in the second, were definitively overmatched in the third, and started well and fell apart in the fourth.

On balance, the AFC was the weaker conference, but the Bills more than held their own at that time (weren't they something like 13-3 against the NFC in the regular season), and the team deserves to be considered one of the better teams of all time (and probably would be if they had just won the first SB).

Once Jaworski left Lackawanna after HS he really never spent much time in WNY. In reality he's much more of a Philadelphian than a Buffalonian, having been there essentially since playing for the Eagles (even during his stints with KC and Miami he maintained a home in S. Jersey). Just another guy who's forgotten his WNY roots. He does manage some decent golf courses in the South Jersey/Eastern PA area.

The Stan Humphries led Chargers were the worst bar none.

They only made it one time and got completely destroyed.

That was probably the worst single performance. I happened to be in Vegas the weekend before that game and talked myself into betting on the Chargers +19 1/2. :lol:

Denver Broncos (Completely overmatched in their last 3 losses. Lost a big 1st half lead and collapsed against Giants.)

Superbowl XII (1978) lost 27-10 to Dallas

Superbowl XXI (1987) lost 39-20 to Giants

Superbowl XXII (1988) lost 42-10 to Washington

Superbowl XXIV (1990) lost 55-10 to SF

Superbowl XLVIII (2014) lost 43-8 to Seattle

They were pretty over matched against Dallas too. That was about as big a blowout as a 17 point win gets.

I forgot about the 2000 Giants; that was not a good team. Horrible Super Bowl.

SB I Kansas City Chiefs. A guy still drunk from the night before scored 2 TDs on 'em.

Not even close. That was a competitive game into the 3rd quarter. The Chiefs were a good team that was just not as experienced as the Packers and they weren't quite yet ready for the big stage. They essentially had the same team in SB IV that beat the Vikings 23-7.

The Bills were never the worst opponents in those SB's. The statement is ludicrous. The only SB game that the Bills were overmatched was the 1992 Redskins game. And that was because the skins were so great that season. The ist one they were by far the better the opponent and the 3rd one they got unlucky with the Kelly injury and the gift TDs on turnovers.

The Broncos sucked reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllly badly the year before the Bills made their first Super Bowl.

It is a stupid discussion topic but then again it is ESPN.

Honestly Jaws should know better...

The first SB the Bills were the better team...The Giants had to play the perfect game to beat them and still should have lost if Norwood can hit a 47 yarder...The 2nd was just the Skins year...They were a machine...The 3rd and 4th were against one of the greatest NFL teams ever assembled...Those Cowboys teams were basically All Star rosters on both sides of the ball...

The Bills SB teams were better than a few SB winners, and just about every SB losing team...So...Shut up Jaws... B-)

Bills were destroyed by the Redskins. that was about as one sided a game, forget a SB, I've ever seen. men vs boys. Rose Bowl Dallas SB was just turnovers -- who knows who the better team was... the other Dallas game we led at half , then ThurFumble sent that one away....

we were the better team vs. Giants, Parcells was smart to run right at 250lb Jeff Wright and it worked. still had it won, but we know what happened there....

Two different conversations going on here. The Bills team that lost to the Redskins sucked that day but the 1991 Bills were a hell of a team. It was probably the best of those Bills teams (certainly '90 or '91). I think the conversation is more about teams that simply weren't that good going into the game.

Have we already forgotten about the Broncos vs the Seahawks a few years ago.

That game wasn't even fun to watch.

Yes but the 2013 Broncos were an excellent football team. They were favored in the game.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I didn't see the Jaws segment, but it seems like he might be saying that the Bills teams were the most overmatched going into their Super Bowl appearances, not that they necessarily were the worst teams to play in the Super Bowl, or that they gave their opponents the easiest game. As I recall, the only Super Bowl the Bills were favored in was their first, against the Giants.

As I recall, everyone who was paying attention, kind of wondered how the Bills defense (good, but not elite in those years) was going to match up with the Redskins, and the Cowboys in back to back years. The Redskins were a machine the year we played them (Rypens' fluke season) and the Cowboys were a model of offensive efficiency, with one of the greatest offensive lines in modern football history, in an era where that mattered more than ever.

We can all come up with Super Bowls that were even worse than the ones the Bills lost in, but remember, when the Broncos were losing Super Bowls with Elway, they had a really good defense...as I recall, the top defense the year they got blown out by the Giants.

If Jaws meant that the Bills teams gave the worst performances in the Super Bowl, than he is the tool he appears to be.

For me, the worst Super Bowl performances by a team that I can remember (my Super Bowl Memories go back to about 1977), would have to be the 1985 Patriots, 1994 Chargers, 2000 NY Giants, and the 2014 Broncos....the Bears team that lost to Manning's Colts was pretty bad too...and if I am being objective, the 1992 Bills. Ironically, other than "wide right", the Bills most memorable Super Bowl moment came out of that game, when Beebe robbed a showboating Leon Lett of a touchdown.

Edited by Buftex

^^it was teams over matched from the start. The question was are the Broncos the worst opponent in Super Bowl history vs a seemingly unstoppable Panthers team. He said no, the Bills teams were (probably specifically the last one where nobody gave us a chance and didn't want us there)

Clearly, and I would say without question, the most overmatched team in a Super Bowl was the 1985 Patriots against the Bears. That game was a mere formailty. There was not a single person alive who thought that game wouldn't be over after the first quarter.

Clearly, and I would say without question, the most overmatched team in a Super Bowl was the 1985 Patriots against the Bears. That game was a mere formailty. There was not a single person alive who thought that game wouldn't be over after the first quarter.

Yeah that and 49ers-Chargers, which somebody else brought up have to be 1-1A. Weren't the Chargers like 18 point underdogs? They were such a random, unassuming Super Bowl team, having shocked the Steelers in the AFC Championship game. Meanwhile, that 49ers team was absolutely unstoppable.

Yes to the 85 Patriots

Id say the 00 Giants

95 Chargers were huge underdogs, like 19 points.

The 96 Patriots were also a supposed tomato can vs the Packers and 14 point underdogs

Something needs to be said for the 2007 Giants as well (even though they won)

Falcons vs the Broncos?

Yes but the 2013 Broncos were an excellent football team. They were favored in the game.

The SB era Bills were excellent football teams as well.

I'd have to say that that Seahawks-Broncos game was the most lopsided SB I've ever seen. Even worse than the Bears-Patriots SB.

Yep. I loved that 1980 squad...still one of my favorite Bills teams of all-time. They finally ended "0 for the '70s" against Miami on opening day & their 'Bermuda Triangle' defense was awesome. Fergy's gimpy ankle had just as much to do with that playoff loss to SD as anything, IMO...really limited the offense. I really believe that they would've been the Super Bowl XV champions...but we'll never know. What a crushing loss.

As far as bad SB opponents go, Denver in Super Bowl XXIV was pretty pathetic. 55-10 losers, down 41-3 at one point, & never really in the game. Oof.

I remember the classic picture of the speed limit sign after that Broncos loss. "Speed Limit 55, Broncos 10"

Once Jaworski left Lackawanna after HS he really never spent much time in WNY. In reality he's much more of a Philadelphian than a Buffalonian, having been there essentially since playing for the Eagles (even during his stints with KC and Miami he maintained a home in S. Jersey). Just another guy who's forgotten his WNY roots. He does manage some decent golf courses in the South Jersey/Eastern PA area.

Yeah, he never gave anything back to the community. I'm pretty sure they even took his name off a field that was once dedicated to him.

Yes to the 85 Patriots

Id say the 00 Giants

95 Chargers were huge underdogs, like 19 points.

The 96 Patriots were also a supposed tomato can vs the Packers and 14 point underdogs

Something needs to be said for the 2007 Giants as well (even though they won)

Falcons vs the Broncos?

That Falcons team was very good. I believe they were 14-2. And I think you are disqualified from the conversation if you actually win the Super Bowl. But yes, I think the '85 Patriots and '94 Chargers have to be at the top of the list.

The SB era Bills were excellent football teams as well.

I'd have to say that that Seahawks-Broncos game was the most lopsided SB I've ever seen. Even worse than the Bears-Patriots SB.

Of course they were. That is why Jaworski is wrong.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Yep. I loved that 1980 squad...still one of my favorite Bills teams of all-time. They finally ended "0 for the '70s" against Miami on opening day & their 'Bermuda Triangle' defense was awesome. Fergy's gimpy ankle had just as much to do with that playoff loss to SD as anything, IMO...really limited the offense. I really believe that they would've been the Super Bowl XV champions...but we'll never know. What a crushing loss.

As far as bad SB opponents go, Denver in Super Bowl XXIV was pretty pathetic. 55-10 losers, down 41-3 at one point, & never really in the game. Oof.

that loss has bothered me to this day, more crushing than "wide right" for the mere fact that the team jelled from that opening victory over miami and the kelly bills , greatest of all time certainly, was expected to win, we had confidence, those 80 bills finally made us "talkin proud" after a decade of futility.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the 2008 Cardinals 9-7 427 PF 426 PA in regular season or the 1979 Rams also 9-7.

My money is still on the 94 Chargers though!

Yeah but I feel like by the time that Cardinals team made the Super Bowl that they were a formidable foe. Plus it was a hell of a game so I wouldn't really consider them. I think to be considered you have to have been an average regular season team AND get smoked in the game.

Yeah but I feel like by the time that Cardinals team made the Super Bowl that they were a formidable foe. Plus it was a hell of a game so I wouldn't really consider them. I think to be considered you have to have been an average regular season team AND get smoked in the game.

Yea - that team played a hell of a game in the Superbowl.