KC vs The Pack ? 50 yrs Later?

That would be incredible match, to repeat Max McGee, Ray Nitschke, Willie Lanier, Dawson, Herb Adderley, Willie Wood, The Hammer Williamson, Fuzzy Thurston, wow....what a hype that could be for the fans of KC and GB.

Great thought D in Philly

The fix is in.

that thought does cross my mind.. lol.. but say it aint so!

That would be incredible match, to repeat Max McGee, Ray Nitschke, Willie Lanier, Dawson, Herb Adderley, Willie Wood, The Hammer Williamson, Fuzzy Thurston, wow....what a hype that could be for the fans of KC and GB.

Great thought D in Philly

:thumbsup:

The bills should have been in the first SB

Yep, at the time with technology being what it was The NFL printed the possible superbowl one combinations. based on on who made it too the conference championship games. At the time I think there was only one week between the championship games and the superbowl.

Somewhere buried deep in the man cave. And purchased in the early days of e bay. i purchased a pair of tickets still held together. The tickets quite large. were The Buffalo Bills vs. the Green Bay Packers for superbowl one. pretty cool useless artifacts. What it could have been.

It's nostalgic, but highly unlikely. GB will not beat AZ, then Carolina or Seattle. All three are much better teams. I'm pulling for AZ. It's too bad Big Ben, Antonio Brown, and Deangelo are hurt as that would be a neat rematch. Pittsburgh when healthy had a real shot at beating Denver and NE. They beat Denver a few weeks ago, and came close with NE in week 1 and did not have AB.

It's going to be a Manning v Brady I think, only because losing Greshem is tough on KC. I'll root for KC though.

i will always maintain the bills would have given green bay a much better game, and possibly could have won.. the D was good.. damn good..

Not that I watched the games but the historical data indictes the team was in rapid decline. Maybe the 64 or 65 teams could have given the NFL champ a run or won. The 67 team won 4 games and the 68 team won 1 game. The victory totals for the team from 64 to 68 were 12-10-9-4-1.

Edited by Charles Romes

Not that I watched the games but the historical data indictes the team was in rapid decline. Maybe the 64 or 65 teams could have given the NFL champ a run or won. The 67 team won 4 games and the 68 team won 1 game. The victory totals for the team from 64 to 68 were 12-10-9-4-1.

^^

This!

While the roster resembled the previous 2 Championship teams, Saban was gone, the Bills squeaked into the playoffs with a 9-4-1 record, while losing both games to East rival Boston. KC creamed us in the opener at Home and we were 3-3-1 at the mid point. Lamonica saw a lot of action at QB and Oakland snatched him away at seasons' end. The better team won that day as evidenced by KC continuing to make the playoffs, losing to Oakland in the next Title game then returning a to -and winning SBIV.

as has been discussed on here thousands of times, the downfall did start with the lamonica trade , and yes, the bills kind of backed in that year, but i think they had a D that year that was more in tune to stop the pack.. IMHO .. not sayin that would have won.. there has been lots of speculation over the years , especially from the players on that team, that they matched up better .

Edited by dwight in philly

The bills should have been in the first SB

I was at that AFL Champlonship game in 1966 and no the Bills should not have won. It was obvious over the course of that season that the Bills were on the decline. I remember having little hope walking into the "Old Rock Pile" that day.

I was at that AFL Champlonship game in 1966 and no the Bills should not have won. It was obvious over the course of that season that the Bills were on the decline. I remember having little hope walking into the "Old Rock Pile" that day.

the first play of the game , dudley meredith, a D lineman on the kickoff team fumbled the opening kickoff, fore-telling what was to come. and, again, they werent the 64-65 bills , but would loved to have seen them matched up against the pack.

^^

This!

While the roster resembled the previous 2 Championship teams, Saban was gone, the Bills squeaked into the playoffs with a 9-4-1 record, while losing both games to East rival Boston. KC creamed us in the opener at Home and we were 3-3-1 at the mid point. Lamonica saw a lot of action at QB and Oakland snatched him away at seasons' end. The better team won that day as evidenced by KC continuing to make the playoffs, losing to Oakland in the next Title game then returning a to -and winning SBIV.

You say that Oakland "snatched him away." I heard from an old-timer that the deal was made so that Oakland's fortunes would improve, and they did. Oakland's record and attendance were both improving even before Lamonica, but with him they rose from the middle of the pack to second in the AFL (to the Jets) in attendance. I don't necessarily agree with the old-timer, but he was quite sure that the trade was dictated by the league. http://www.oursportscentral.com/boards/showthread.php?t=1789

You say that Oakland "snatched him away." I heard from an old-timer that the deal was made so that Oakland's fortunes would improve, and they did. Oakland's record and attendance were both improving even before Lamonica, but with him they rose from the middle of the pack to second in the AFL (to the Jets) in attendance. I don't necessarily agree with the old-timer, but he was quite sure that the trade was dictated by the league. http://www.oursportscentral.com/boards/showthread.php?t=1789

I'm not familiar with the Raider perspective at the time, but it was clear to all League observers that Buffalo was rich at QB with the ever-improving, soon to be dubbed Mad Bomber routinely filling in for 2-time League Champ, Kemp. From a Bills point of view, its still hotly debated that we should have traded Jackie. There were rumors abound regarding romantic trysts with Daryl here, but the Bills did get Oakland's starting QB (Flores) and all-star WR in the trade -which looked good at the time.. Neither of which had any impact going forward on the field.

I'm not familiar with the Raider perspective at the time, but it was clear to all League observers that Buffalo was rich at QB with the ever-improving, soon to be dubbed Mad Bomber routinely filling in for 2-time League Champ, Kemp. From a Bills point of view, its still hotly debated that we should have traded Jackie. There were rumors abound regarding romantic trysts with Daryl here, but the Bills did get Oakland's starting QB (Flores) and all-star WR in the trade -which looked good at the time.. Neither of which had any impact going forward on the field.

at the time of the trade, getting art powell and flores seemed to be a good get, but lamonica taking off the way he did, while the bills starting to sink was tough to stomach.. the bills were aging and in hindsight all the signs were there that it was ending, but as young die hard . you didnt see it coming

at the time of the trade, getting art powell and flores seemed to be a good get, but lamonica taking off the way he did, while the bills starting to sink was tough to stomach.. the bills were aging and in hindsight all the signs were there that it was ending, but as young die hard . you didnt see it coming

Especially the annual azz-kickin's Dayrl's Raiders laid on us specifically. It seemed like every game was 52-10

Isn't it 49 years later?

50 - 1

Well, yeah.. But we made all these plans, so..

The Arizona Cardinals will kill the dream this weekend after the send Green Bay Packing.

I see what you did there. ;)

Except that KC and GB are the worst teams left in the playoffs. We are better than both

Who is "we"? Do you mean "The Bills"? If so, you are one die hard fan, but I just don't see it - especially considering we lost to KC.

the first play of the game , dudley meredith, a D lineman on the kickoff team fumbled the opening kickoff, fore-telling what was to come. and, again, they werent the 64-65 bills , but would loved to have seen them matched up against the pack.

He lived down the street from me during the season! He spent an evening in our living room, talking about football, etc. Cool stuff for a 6 year old or whatever I was.

The first year I remember is year after this - I remember the Raiders playing the Packers. So, I have no memory of the '64'66 Bills. Just when they fell off the cliff! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

not an earth shattering topic, but the fact it could happen makes this upcoming weekend even better , if that could happen.. also, KC could host the AFC championship game .that would be a great treat for their fans

Certainly would be neat, strictly from a historical perspective. But there are certainly better teams left in the playoffs that would provide better matchups and better games in the Superbowl.

He lived down the street from me during the season! He spent an evening in our living room, talking about football, etc. Cool stuff for a 6 year old or whatever I was.

The first year I remember is year after this - I remember the Raiders playing the Packers. So, I have no memory of the '64'66 Bills. Just when they fell off the cliff! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

that is cool.. every once in a while , back in the day, you would see a bill out and about.. this was pre juice and reggie at mulligans on hertel in the 70's

Edited by dwight in philly

i will always maintain the bills would have given green bay a much better game, and possibly could have won.. the D was good.. damn good..

The Chiefs put up 31 on us but only 10 on the Pack.

While we lost to the Chiefs 31-7, they lost to Green Bay 35-10.

We were better in '64 and '65 than we were that year.

Our D was good in '66 but KC's offense had a lot more weapons. And they still struggled to score on the Pack.

I wouldn't be shocked to find out the league rigged the system to get the magical rematch for SB 50 to be the same as SB 1

I also wouldn't have a problem with it because it would mean no Pats and that they would have been knocked out this weekend (which I think will happen anyway.....)

I think it would be harder to believe GB making it in this season then KC.

Isn't it 49 years later?

50 - 1

true, its 49 years, but its the first SB and the 50th SB

No one is celebrating Super Bowl 51, or making it any more special then SB 33, 47, 21, etc.