Robert Woods

This was going to be almost my exact response. Woods was a high floor - low ceiling guy coming out. He is the same player that they drafted. A solid, contributing WR. Those people that thought that he was going to be ahead of Sammy on the depth chart were the ones that have soured on Woods. He doesn't have that level of talent. He is a pretty good football player. If he was the Bills 3rd best WR they would be in good shape.

Also, I agree with Bill's thoughts on the OL.

Agreed. I thought we had that situation where Woods was #3 as Harvin was #2. I think with the injuries Sammy and Percy sustained, plus Woods' groin thing, we never got to see all three of them out there at full-go (with maybe weeks 1 and 2 as the exception?). I know we want that bigger bodied guy too, but I would have liked to see that healthy trio, plus Hogan and Clay, out there down the stretch.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I thought we had that situation where Woods was #3 as Harvin was #2. I think with the injuries Sammy and Percy sustained, plus Woods' groin thing, we never got to see all three of them out there at full-go (with maybe weeks 1 and 2 as the exception?). I know we want that bigger bodied guy too, but I would have liked to see that healthy trio, plus Hogan and Clay, out there down the stretch.

I think the roles can be a little overrated in thinking you need a speed guy, a size guy, a possession guy, and the feature guy

Even if you duplicate skill set and have 2 or 3 real speed guys, how many teams have corners deep enough to handle that? Really I think it's getting maximum talent on the roster and then creating a scheme that lets it shine. Ties through to the same arguments I make for BPA instead of need in the draft.

If healthy, I agree that trio would've been good with clay at TE to top it off, even though none are 6'6. The shiftiness and scrappiness permeating the group would be hard for a secondary to match up with.

Edited by NoSaint

I think the roles can be a little overrated in thinking you need a speed guy, a size guy, a possession guy, and the feature guy

Even if you duplicate skill set and have 2 or 3 real speed guys, how many teams have corners deep enough to handle that? Really I think it's getting maximum talent on the roster and then creating a scheme that lets it shine. Ties through to the same arguments I make for BPA instead of need in the draft.

If healthy, I agree that trio would've been good with clay at TE to top it off, even though none are 6'6. The shiftiness and scrappiness permeating the group would be hard for a secondary to match up with.

To your point about having 2 or 3 speed guys, isn't that what this offense is designed for? The offense is primarily predicated on running and throwing deep. Obviously throws of all depths are part of the scheme, but it's the deep ball that takes pressure off of the run and the run that makes teams load the box only to get beat deep. The Bills aren't going to have two or three WRs who are the complete packages, but they have to have speed across the board at WR to pressure secondaries so the offense can run properly.

To your point about having 2 or 3 speed guys, isn't that what this offense is designed for? The offense is primarily predicated on running and throwing deep. Obviously throws of all depths are part of the scheme, but it's the deep ball that takes pressure off of the run and the run that makes teams load the box only to get beat deep. The Bills aren't going to have two or three WRs who are the complete packages, but they have to have speed across the board at WR to pressure secondaries so the offense can run properly.

It seemed that was the goal with Sammy, Percy, Goodwin... And woods isn't slow. I know a lot of posters want the big body for the redzone but I think we are fine even if we add an agile guy that can get a step off the line and run away from a guy too.

The OL is a top 10 unit though. There are some on this board that believe it is a weakness. It is actually a strength. I think that is his point.

Yes that was my point. And furthermore, people on this board are constantly saying stuff like "we just simply don't have that talented of a football team." Well prior to last season, more than one source that I saw (one was nfl.com) ranked the Bills as having the 1st or 2nd most talented roster outside of the QB position in the NFL. How many Bills made the NFL's top 100 players list last year- 5 or 6, right? Sorry some of you, but this team actually is very talented, deal with it. I know there's another thread for it but in my not so humble opinion, it's on the head coach to make this thing go. Like immediately.

And yes, Robert Woods is whatever. He's a quality #3 WR. They need another one. Everybody knows that. Do some of you realize just how good Sammy Watkins is and how lucky we are to have him on our football team? That I would question.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Yes that was my point. And furthermore, people on this board are constantly saying stuff like "we just simply don't have that talented of a football team." Well prior to last season, more than one source that I saw (one was nfl.com) ranked the Bills as having the 1st or 2nd most talented roster outside of the QB position in the NFL. How many Bills made the NFL's top 100 players list last year- 5 or 6, right? Sorry some of you, but this team actually is very talented, deal with it. I know there's another thread for it but in my not so humble opinion, it's on the head coach to make this thing go. Like immediately.

And yes, Robert Woods is whatever. He's a quality #3 WR. They need another one. Everybody knows that. Do some of you realize just how good Sammy Watkins is and how lucky we are to have him on our football team? That I would question.

I agree with most of what you say other than the D front seven was not talented in the way Rex's scheme calls for. Injuries also really bit the Bills. IMO the remaining talent gaps listed in priority are:

DE (that fits the scheme)

ILB

S (this actually becomes a position of strength if Graham and Williams are healthy and stay healthy)

#2 WR

ORT (Henderson may be the answer if healthy)

Depth at QB

2 or 3 of these will be addressed in the draft - 2 could easily fall of the list if incumbents return healthy

They gave up too much to get him :) Edited by Kirby Jackson

They gave up too much to get him :)

well they did imo.

But like when your daughter marries, and you find out he really is a good man.

Nothing before that matters.

Sammy is Family. Love the Kid.

needs a haircut though !!

IMO Woods is a great #3 because he can be a #2 when someone goes down. And, he still has upside.

Lets see how he plays with TT a second year in. and the groin is healed.

till then, i reserve judgement

The OL is a top 10 unit though. There are some on this board that believe it is a weakness. It is actually a strength. I think that is his point.

I agree with Gunner's characterization of the ol which is not far from yours. I do think though that nobody else in the league would be more dangerous with an elite line than Greg Roman. And nobody else is more reliant on that unit whether it's elite or not.

The Bills offense is nothing like it was under gailey, when a limited but heady QB de emphasized line play with a quick passing game, sometimes throwing 40 times a game. Most of the league is going this way because rule changes have enabled it. The Bills offense is in 1970, limited in the short and intermediate passing game and sometimes throwing as little as 15 times in a game.

So my take, other teams may not be building monster offensive lines but they don't run the offense we do. Other teams may not be concerned with depth on the o line, but still I think we should be. Virtually nobody else is trying to win the same way we are. Jmo

I think most people on this board do think we have a talented team and do realise that in Dareus, Gilmore, Watkins, Glenn, McCoy we have a core of super talented, mostly young, players that almost every team in the league would want.

Of course there are posters who have particular disdain for one or more of the above, but I think the majority here think that is a strong base to build from. I also think the majority think we have a Quarterback who showed genuine promise last season. Do some people think the line is worse than it is? Probably.... but that's either because they don't realise the standard of o-line play around the league is not what it once was and our compared favourably in 2015 with many others and partly because I have always suspected most fan bases overrate skill guys and underrate their lines.

So my take, other teams may not be building monster offensive lines but they don't run the offense we do. Other teams may not be concerned with depth on the o line, but still I think we should be. Virtually nobody else is trying to win the same way we are. Jmo

I think there is some truth in this. Roman is the best run coordinator in the league and therefore having a line that is skilled enough and agile enough and can adjust to all the different blocking schemes that requires is more important for us than it is for other teams.

I agree with Gunner's characterization of the ol which is not far from yours. I do think though that nobody else in the league would be more dangerous with an elite line than Greg Roman. And nobody else is more reliant on that unit whether it's elite or not.

The Bills offense is nothing like it was under gailey, when a limited but heady QB de emphasized line play with a quick passing game, sometimes throwing 40 times a game. Most of the league is going this way because rule changes have enabled it. The Bills offense is in 1970, limited in the short and intermediate passing game and sometimes throwing as little as 15 times in a game.

another fine post Aaron.

i am probably incorrect, but as the league design defenses against the passing game for years, and drafts accordingly, why wouldn't some team try to undermine that with a power run game?

Agreed

I am forced to agree also. kid does put the work in. waiting for his shot to shine.

This year he might.

I think most people on this board do think we have a talented team and do realise that in Dareus, Gilmore, Watkins, Glenn, McCoy we have a core of super talented, mostly young, players that almost every team in the league would want.

Of course there are posters who have particular disdain for one or more of the above, but I think the majority here think that is a strong base to build from. I also think the majority think we have a Quarterback who showed genuine promise last season. Do some people think the line is worse than it is? Probably.... but that's either because they don't realise the standard of o-line play around the league is not what it once was and our compared favourably in 2015 with many others and partly because I have always suspected most fan bases overrate skill guys and underrate their lines.

I think there is some truth in this. Roman is the best run coordinator in the league and therefore having a line that is skilled enough and agile enough and can adjust to all the different blocking schemes that requires is more important for us than it is for other teams.

another good post Bill.

Let Roman do what Roman does best.

I mean look at the guy. he exudes the attitude of grinding, a trench fighting mentality perhaps? Close combat like jiu jitsu until the weakness appears.Then throw it to Sammy

I have liked Woods since college. He was very polished route runner as a rookie, something that is pretty rare. Likely because he came from a pro style offense. Not sure how many people know that he was a 5 star recruit out of HS at Safety. He has A certain edge to him when he plays, which I appreciate. His blocking is outstanding. I do think he lacks explosiveness at times as a WR. I love him as a #3. As a #2 he's serviceable but someone you are always thinking it would be nice if you could upgrade to someone bigger or someone faster. I do think he's made some pretty impressive plays/catches in his time in buffalo. He would be in the Marvin jones category IMO if he had consistently good QB play his first 3 years.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I have liked Woods since college. He was very polished route runner as a rookie, something that is pretty rare. Likely because he came from a pro style offense. Not sure how many people know that he was a 5 star recruit out of HS at Safety. He has A certain edge to him when he plays, which I appreciate. His blocking is outstanding. I do think he lacks explosiveness at times as a WR. I love him as a #3. As a #2 he's serviceable but someone you are always thinking it would be nice if you could upgrade to someone bigger or someone faster. I do think he's made some pretty impressive plays/catches in his time in buffalo. He would be in the Marvin jones category IMO if he had consistently good QB play his first 3 years.

QB ing so much defines the receiver.

i am probably incorrect, but as the league design defenses against the passing game for years, and drafts accordingly, why wouldn't some team try to undermine that with a power run game?

I like your thinking, cutting against the grain as it were. The upside of going against trend.

Other teams are still pounding the rock of course but we do it with a throwback sort of conviction, even a debatable amount of dependence. which still works I think when its done as well as Greg does it.

:thumbsup: Agreed

:thumbsup: Agreed. He's got heart. Not great after the catch. Serviceable 2, quality #3. I still wonder if he can do a little more work downfield than we've seen so far.

Edited by Aaron

This is what I think.

Let him run the #2 spot, or slot. I prefer the slot because of his size. We need a big guy, let's say 6 foot 4 or so who has great football judgment.

I think Woods is a #3 guy, who'd shine against a 3rd DB.

I just started cutting Woods. Got 18 cord to go,

get it in before the snow flies!

Woods. I think we will see some noticeable improvement this year. Thing with TT was he never seemed to get a good feel for his receivers timing.

I think the offseason and camp etc. He will gain a comfort and trust level that will be reflected in the pass game overall.

Now wheres my Koolaid !!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to stay away from this one because I like Robert, always have. IMO he's definitely a #2 and seeing the likes of Moulds and Reed acknowledging this, I feel better about having Woods on the team as a #2. He played through a groin injury, new HC,new OC, new QB, new scheme, etc. He should get this season as a #2 to show he can do it. If he is healthy and doesn't produce, then we should look for a # 2. Having said this, if we find someone to overtake him as the #2, I'm all for it, but I don't see this as a real issue unless he doesn't recover from the groin injury.

I tried to stay away from this one because I like Robert, always have. IMO he's definitely a #2 and seeing the likes of Moulds and Reed acknowledging this, I feel better about having Woods on the team as a #2. He played through a groin injury, new HC,new OC, new QB, new scheme, etc. He should get this season as a #2 to show he can do it. If he is healthy and doesn't produce, then we should look for a # 2. Having said this, if we find someone to overtake him as the #2, I'm all for it, but I don't see this as a real issue unless he doesn't recover from the groin injury.

:beer:

Why all the hate on Woody? He has incredible hands, blocks very well, produces when given the opportunity, and is tough as nails. Everyone on here is saying that we need to get a better number 2 guy, but I really like Woods. I get that drafting someone like Treadwell would be awesome, but don't you think we have other glaring needs? I'd say O-line, LB, and Safety are all bigger needs than WR. Woods has been pretty good for us and has done all he is asked to do, which is all we need out of a number 2.

Agreed. Yep,

Fair take.

Woods seem to be reliable receiver but never seemed to get on same page as Tyrod, maybe because Tryod had trouble hitting in areas where Robert was effective.

Stats show him in same range as his rookie year but I expected more progress in 3rd year.

Year G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G
2013 14 14 85 40 587 14.7 3 57 2.9 41.9
2014 16 15 104 65 699 10.8 5 37 4.1 43.7
2015 14 9 80 47 552 11.7 3 37 3.4 39.4

We don't pass the ball enough to waste another high pick on a WR. If they find value in mid-late rounds that can surpass Woods that's great, until then I'm fine with Woods being the 2...we have a defense to revamp and half our offensive line looks like Swiss cheese.

Get healthy Woods.

Woods seem to be reliable receiver but never seemed to get on same page as Tyrod, maybe because Tryod had trouble hitting in areas where Robert was effective.

Stats show him in same range as his rookie year but I expected more progress in 3rd year.

I think most did. I know I did.

Until it came out that he played through a torn groin for much of the year. Then it kind of made sense.

While healthy Taylor was looking at Harvin a ton. You would have to ask the film room posters but I bet his looks/targets rivaled Sammy's.

I'd suggest they probably exceeded them. Cos whilst Rex loves people who have played for Clemson there is one group of people he loves even more..... people who played for the Jets.

That's why they need a different #2. And if, as someone else mentioned, Tyrod was targeting Harvin often (when he made it on to the field), perhaps they should look for a guy with similar skill set to Harvin?

I'd suggest they probably exceeded them. Cos whilst Rex loves people who have played for Clemson there is one group of people he loves even more..... people who played for the Jets.

Are there any ex-Jets who played for Clemson? Rex should sign them - for his staff.

100℅ my thoughts

100℅ my thoughts

I just feel that some are missing big picture (as in Romans scheme)

Yes.....we need speed to stretch the field but

- We are gonna run the ball a ton

- We are going to throw to our RBs a lot

- Robert Woods is one of the best blocking WR's I have ever seen.......

He is invaluable to this offense.....and has shown that he is good for WR number 2 numbers in previous years

I really could see the bills bringing in a burner after the draft or made a mid level pick guy.......but its not a priority to them when we lose Mario WIlliams, and Nigel Bradham and having the defense drop 20 spots in the previious year

I am expecting a HEAVY defensive draft of pieces that fit Rex Ryan defenses

He is invaluable to this offense....

Really?

He is worth keeping, but I think they could function without him.

As has been noted before, whenever teams commit to shutting down Watkins, the passing game dies. None of the other receivers have been able to take advantage of the skewed coverages (except maybe Harvin). If they can pick a guy out of a hat that can do that fine, but I'm skeptical that they will be lucky enough to grab one late in the draft. I was hoping they might find a FA.

I think Tyrod should be given as much help as possible.

Of course, the mess of the defense that Ryan has created will need fixing, and will dominate the draft. Watching a team rebuild is fascinating, I could do it for 20 years.

Edited by HoF Watkins