Robert Woods

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woods is like Josh Reed.

That's a bit harsh. Reed was a great practicer, no show at game time. Woods is better than that.

I'd like the Bills to find a veteran WR. I can't help but think of the difference James Lofton made. He was 32 at the time.

That's a bit harsh. Reed was a great practicer, no show at game time. Woods is better than that.

I'd like the Bills to find a veteran WR. I can't help but think of the difference James Lofton made. He was 32 at the time.

or add a Frank Lewis

Woods is below average. Mostly used as a blocker last year. If he was anything more he would have been used more. Why does this board always overrate our below average players?

Ahh TBD myth #471 that this board always overrates its own players. While that used to be true to a certain extent, there has been a swing in the opposite direction, which I believe now overcompensates for the overrating. For instance, very few people on this board realize a) how good Cordy Glenn is and b) that the Bills have one of the better OL's in football. They think it's an abomination that we have a question mark at RT as if every team doesn't have question marks all over their OL. Nobody on this board seems to appreciate just how good McCoy was when he was fully healthy last year. And yes, actually read this thread. Who said anything about Robert Woods being that good? I think most people know exactly where he stands. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Woods is below average. Mostly used as a blocker last year. If he was anything more he would have been used more. Why does this board always overrate our below average players?

Not a below average WR. may not be a # 1 or 2 but a good # 3 for sure. Not easy to look good catching passes with a 1 read QB.

As someone who frequently reads these threads but rarely posts, I felt compelled to comment. The thing with Woods is that at times he looks very good and other times it is as if he is not even on the field. And yes, sometimes he drops balls that he shouldn't. My good friend who happens to be a Pats* fan drools over Woods. For a second think of Woods going to NE and not Hogan. Scary thought, right? I think Woods is a good receiver who has suffered as a result of his youth and lack of experience at the pro level coupled with inconsistent quarterback play.

Woods is a role player that can contribute to any scheme but will likely excel only in ideal situations.

He's not a Sammy that has the skill to dictate against top corners in less than ideal situations.... and he's not a super specialized guy that can only play in a few schemes.

On his average day he's hogans ceiling, but he has a little more upside. He's the type of guy that is still valuable even if you don't build game plans around him in most settings. And with the right qb, playbook, pieces around him maybe he actually does play like a welker...

Ahh TBD myth #471 that this board always overrates its own players. While that used to be true to a certain extent, there has been a swing in the opposite direction, which I believe now overcompensates for the overrating. For instance, very few people on this board realize a) how good Cordy Glenn is and b) that the Bills have one of the better OL's in football. They think it's an abomination that we have a question mark at RT as if every team doesn't have question marks all over their OL. Nobody on this board seems to appreciate just how good McCoy was when he was fully healthy last year. And yes, actually read this thread. Who said anything about Robert Woods being that good? I think most people know exactly where he stands.

In SF Roman had the best RT in all of football, here he has one of the worst. Doesn't seem wise to me

The OL is a top 10 unit though. There are some on this board that believe it is a weakness. It is actually a strength. I think that is his point.

I personally have it comfortably 2nd quarter of the league. Not sure it is top 8 but I'd say it is not much below that. The right tackle position does hurt, but I agree with Metz that when you look around the league almost everyone has offensive line issues somewhere and lots of teams have bigger issues than us. I have also said numerous times on this board it is one of the thinnest position groups in the NFL. For example, Green Bay's line was very solid early in the year then Bakhtiari and Bulaga went down in quick succession and from then on the line was a mess. Almost nobody has proper depth there. Which is why I would have liked us to hold onto Urbik - because whilst he is a below average starter I believe he was one of the best inside swing guys out there. He hasn't signed anywhere yet which I find quite odd to be honest. Maybe he wants too much money?

As for Woods to come back on topic - for me he is still the player we drafted. I have not seen any development in the three years he has been here. You can talk about targets all you like but I don't see much marked improvement in his game - maybe his blocking but he was a solid enough blocker coming out - and that is the worry. You want to see an improvement curve and I don't. This is his last year as a Bill I'd put money on us letting him walk.

Edited by GunnerBill

I personally have it comfortably 2nd quarter of the league. Not sure it is top 8 but I'd say it is not much below that. The right tackle position does hurt, but I agree with Metz that when you look around the league almost everyone has offensive line issues somewhere and lots of teams have bigger issues than us. I have also said numerous times on this board it is one of the thinnest position groups in the NFL. For example, Green Bay's line was very solid early in the year then Bakhtiari and Bulaga went down in quick succession and from then on the line was a mess. Almost nobody has proper depth there. Which is why I would have liked us to hold onto Urbik - because whilst he is a below average starter I believe he was one of the best inside swing guys out there. He hasn't signed anywhere yet which I find quite odd to be honest. Maybe he wants too much money?

As for Woods to come back on topic - for me he is still the player we drafted. I have not seen any development in the three years he has been here. You can talk about targets all you like but I don't see much marked improvement in his game - maybe his blocking but he was a solid enough blocker coming out - and that is the worry. You want to see an improvement curve and I don't. This is his last year as a Bill I'd put money on us letting him walk.

In part that happens when you pick up the most polished guy with somewhat limited upside. He was near his ceiling. But that's ceiling is a productive Nfl player.

In part that happens when you pick up the most polished guy with somewhat limited upside. He was near his ceiling. But that's ceiling is a productive Nfl player.

This was going to be almost my exact response. Woods was a high floor - low ceiling guy coming out. He is the same player that they drafted. A solid, contributing WR. Those people that thought that he was going to be ahead of Sammy on the depth chart were the ones that have soured on Woods. He doesn't have that level of talent. He is a pretty good football player. If he was the Bills 3rd best WR they would be in good shape.

Also, I agree with Bill's thoughts on the OL.

Edited by Kirby Jackson