Robert Woods

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt get more "empty word" then this post

Absolutely. Here's a snippet from one of Woods' pre-draft scouting report: http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/08/robert-woods-scouting-report.html

Hands/Catching

+ Has some of the best hands in America

+ Large soft hands, watches the ball in and does a good job at maintaining focus and adjusting to the ball

+ Makes the tough catches look easy, will go after every ball and put his body on the line

+ Catches the ball well in tight spaces, will go over the middle and lay out

+ Presents large catching target due to leaping ability and ability to go get it

+ Knows how to use his body to shield the defender from the ball

+ Will drift toward sideline to create separation on deep sideline/fade routes

– Has an occasional concentration drop, which he needs to clean up

– Sometimes he leaps or leaves his feet when it’s not necessary while the ball is being deliver

Route Running

+ Stong route runner, crisp clean breaks, explosive when running double moves

+ Doesn’t lose speed when coming in and out of breaks

+ Creates separation with long strides and sudden, quick breaks

+ Accelerates at the top of his routes and is fluid in change of direction

+ Well developed route tree, USC moves him all across the formation, including slot

+ Is lethel when running fade routes and red zone combinations

+ Does a good job of maintaining control and balance of his body and never looks out of control

+ Works back to the ball and keeps moving when the play breaks down

+ Is utilized in the short passing game a lot – quick passes, 3 step slants, bubble screens.\

+ Can make things happen after the catch

+ Possession type WR, but also has the ability to be a home run threat

+ When running vertical routes, Woods attacks the DB

+ Woods does a very good job of stemming his routes and getting position on the DB

+ Beats press coverage at the line with quickness and elusiveness

– Can and will struggle against stronger and more physical cornerbacks who can get their hands on him quickly

– He can clean up some of the unnessary shake and jukes while running routes and try to make each route look the same

Intelligence

+ Recognizes and understands different coverages

+ Finds soft spots in zone and works his way open

+ Has a great rapport with QB Matt Barkley, can adjust and break off a route based on coverages

+ Knows what the down and situation is and has shown good “in game” situational awareness

It doesnt get more "empty word" then this post

I'm sorry that I want better than what we've been seeing from this team for so long. IMO, the Bills have not had a legitimate #1/2 combo since Moulds/Price. Their last year on the team, both WR's had over 1,200 yards receiving each. Having a legitimate #2 WR takes the pressure off the #1 WR, as well as opens up the run game. In that last season with Moulds/Price together, Travis Henry had over 1,400 yards rushing as well. If the Bills had a better option at the #2 WR position, you're looking at a possible 8-10 more TD's (which could of made the difference in winning a couple more games last year and making the playoffs), plus it would have opened up the run game even further.

I'm sorry that I want better than what we've been seeing from this team for so long. IMO, the Bills have not had a legitimate #1/2 combo since Moulds/Price. Their last year on the team, both WR's had over 1,200 yards receiving each. Having a legitimate #2 WR takes the pressure off the #1 WR, as well as opens up the run game. In that last season with Moulds/Price together, Travis Henry had over 1,400 yards rushing as well. If the Bills had a better option at the #2 WR position, you're looking at a possible 8-10 more TD's (which could of made the difference in winning a couple more games last year and making the playoffs), plus it would have opened up the run game even further.

So you're down on Woods and Price is your idea of a solid #2?

Absolutely. Here's a snippet from one of Woods' pre-draft scouting report: http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/08/robert-woods-scouting-report.html

Hands/Catching

+ Large soft hands, watches the ball in and does a good job at maintaining focus and adjusting to the ball

+ Makes the tough catches look easy, will go after every ball and put his body on the line

+ Presents large catching target due to leaping ability and ability to go get it

– Sometimes he leaps or leaves his feet when it’s not necessary while the ball is being deliver

Route Running

+ Well developed route tree, USC moves him all across the formation, including slot

+ Does a good job of maintaining control and balance of his body and never looks out of control

+ Is utilized in the short passing game a lot – quick passes, 3 step slants, bubble screens.\

+ Woods does a very good job of stemming his routes and getting position on the DB

– Can and will struggle against stronger and more physical cornerbacks who can get their hands on him quickly

– He can clean up some of the unnessary shake and jukes while running routes and try to make each route look the same

Intelligence

+ Has a great rapport with QB Matt Barkley, can adjust and break off a route based on coverages

+ Knows what the down and situation is and has shown good “in game” situational awareness

It's nice that you brought up Woods' pre-draft scouting report, but this is the NFL. The NFL and like any other major professional sport is about "what have you done for me lately."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2016/1/20/10796944/buffalo-bills-jim-monos-no-2-wide-receiver-robert-woods-percy-harvin

"But it could also mean that the front office is not satisfied with the play of some of the team's younger options, chiefly 2013 second-round pick Robert Woods; The 23-year-old Woods, who has effectively served as the Bills' No. 2 receiver for most of the last three seasons, seems to know that he'll need to prove himself to Buffalo's coaches if he's going to stay with the team past his rookie contract, which expires after next season."

So you're down on Woods and Price is your idea of a solid #2?

Are you smoking crack? I was making a comparison to the last time the Bills has an effective #1 and #2 WR together on the team. Price injured his neck and has been retired for a while now, so why on earth would he be available to return to the NFL?

IMO, I thought it was a terrible idea that the Bills extended an offer to Harvin as the Bills will be lucky to get six games out of him before he goes on IR. If they were going the FA route on a WR, they should go after Anquan Boldin as he played two years in Roman's system in SF and at age 35, could be had at a decent price.

Somewhere.....there is a violin....

ehhh....never mind

I'm sorry that I want better than what we've been seeing from this team for so long.

No one is arguing that you can't want better for the team, or even that Woods is the ideal #2 WR for this club. All I've said is that your analysis as to why Woods has struggled is factually inaccurate.

There are plenty of reasons to question Woods' long term fit with the Bills. But questioning his route running is up there with questioning the guy's toughness or blocking. It's just a really weak argument to make, let alone substantiate.

It's nice that you brought up Woods' pre-draft scouting report, but this is the NFL. The NFL and like any other major professional sport is about "what have you done for me lately."

And if you were to ask coaches, players, and scouts in the NFL today they'd all tell you Woods runs terrific routes. Running routes isn't his problem. Nor are his hands.

Durability questions? Sure. Attitude questions? Sure. Is his skill set better suited to be a slot 3 guy than a true #2? Sure. All reasonable points you can bring to the discussion. But saying he runs poor routes or has questionable hands is just throwing words against the wall and hoping they stick.

No one is arguing that you can't want better for the team, or even that Woods is the ideal #2 WR for this club. All I've said is that your analysis as to why Woods has struggled is factually inaccurate.

There are plenty of reasons to question Woods' long term fit with the Bills. But questioning his route running is up there with questioning the guy's toughness or blocking. It's just a really weak argument to make, let alone substantiate.

And if you were to ask coaches, players, and scouts in the NFL today they'd all tell you Woods runs terrific routes. Running routes isn't his problem. Nor are his hands.

Durability questions? Sure. Attitude questions? Sure. Is his skill set better suited to be a slot 3 guy than a true #2? Sure. All reasonable points you can bring to the discussion. But saying he runs poor routes or has questionable hands is just throwing words against the wall and hoping they stick.

IMO, Woods would be a better #3. I love his blocking ability, especially when he threw a DB into another defender last season, which helped TT get open for a TD, that was awesome. But like I said, he had his share of drops and his route running was not sharp last season. Now maybe it was learning a new system, trying to get in sync with TT, the groin injury, but his route running was definitely off last season and his career has been disappointing so far in Buffalo. Like the article I posted stated, if Woods doesn't greatly improve, it's doubtful that he'll be extended here in Buffalo beyond his rookie contract.

Somewhere.....there is a violin....

ehhh....never mind

So what are your bright ideas? Just stay with who the Bills currently have at the WR position?

IMO, Woods would be a better #3. I love his blocking ability, especially when he threw a DB into another defender last season, which helped TT get open for a TD, that was awesome. But like I said, he had his share of drops and his route running was not sharp last season. Now maybe it was learning a new system, trying to get in sync with TT, the groin injury, but his route running was definitely off last season and his career has been disappointing so far in Buffalo. Like the article I posted stated, if Woods doesn't greatly improve, it's doubtful that he'll be extended here in Buffalo beyond his rookie contract.

So what are your bright ideas? Just stay with who the Bills currently have at the WR position?

For the moment....YES

- We have one of the very best wide receivers in the league in Sammy Watkins...the guy is practically uncoverable

- We have one of the better tight ends in the league in Clay....we paid so much for him because he fits Roman's offense perfectly.

- We throw to our running backs a TON in this offense

- We have nine....count them NINE wide receivers on the roster right now......Whaley start stock piling them towards the end of last season (maybe in anticipation of this?) Hankersan is a 4.4 height/weight/speed guy.....the other guys all have size.

- The DRAFT has not even happened yet

- The extensions for Gilmore and Glenn look promising before the season starts.....maybe before the draft? What would stop us from picking up a 3rd to 4th receiver at that time?

You are acting like we have no receiving talent.....we have a TON of receiving talent.

With Sammy Watkins, a versatile TE and as the only team in the NFL who ran the ball on more than 50% of offensive plays...why does it matter so much who the no. 2 receiver is when capable talent like Robert Woods and perhaps Percy Harvin are on the roster?

For the moment....YES

- We have one of the very best wide receivers in the league in Sammy Watkins...the guy is practically uncoverable

- We have one of the better tight ends in the league in Clay....we paid so much for him because he fits Roman's offense perfectly.

- We throw to our running backs a TON in this offense

- We have nine....count them NINE wide receivers on the roster right now......Whaley start stock piling them towards the end of last season (maybe in anticipation of this?) Hankersan is a 4.4 height/weight/speed guy.....the other guys all have size.

- The DRAFT has not even happened yet

- The extensions for Gilmore and Glenn look promising before the season starts.....maybe before the draft? What would stop us from picking up a 3rd to 4th receiver at that time?

You are acting like we have no receiving talent.....we have a TON of receiving talent.

-I agree 100% about Sammy.

-Clay was very good last year, but not great. He's a great blocker and made some good catches and IMO, is an upgrade over Chandler.

-You make great points about our RB's. I would like to see Roman/TT use Karlos Williams more in the passing game.

-While we have nine WR's, I'm not thrilled about who we have outside of Sammy. Maybe some will emerge from this group, but I'm tired of going with castoffs from other teams hoping they'll pan out. TJ Graham had 4.4 speed, Glass Goodwin has 4.27 speed, just because someone is fast does not automatically translate them into a great player.

-Good points about the draft. I'm hoping the Bills will draft a WR in the early rounds to compliment Sammy. Having a legitimate #2 WR to take some of the pressure off of Sammy will open up the passing game more, add more receiving TD's, as well as free up Sammy, plus the run game will benefit as well. The Bills only had 26 receiving TD's between TT and Manuel (that's below the league average). If the Bills had about another 8-10 more last season if Harvin could have stayed healthy, that could have made the difference in a couple of games and possibly going to the playoffs.

-That would be great to get Glenn and Gilmore locked up before the season starts.

Then I'd lose all my hard-earned credibility.

How much more fired can the guy get already? Lol!

With Sammy Watkins, a versatile TE and as the only team in the NFL who ran the ball on more than 50% of offensive plays...why does it matter so much who the no. 2 receiver is when capable talent like Robert Woods and perhaps Percy Harvin are on the roster?

Jim Monos, the director of the Bills player personnel doesn't seem sold on Woods either.

http://www.buffaloru...ds-percy-harvin

"But it could also mean that the front office is not satisfied with the play of some of the team's younger options, chiefly 2013 second-round pick Robert Woods; The 23-year-old Woods, who has effectively served as the Bills' No. 2 receiver for most of the last three seasons, seems to know that he'll need to prove himself to Buffalo's coaches if he's going to stay with the team past his rookie contract, which expires after next season."

Harvin is injury prone and a head case and can't be relied upon to stay healthy for an entire season. Banking on Harvin to stay healthy for an entire season at this point would be foolish.

Hands/Catching

Route Running

Intelligence

That burned my retinas and the word lethal was spelled incorrectly

Josh Reed, Stevie Johnson and David Nelson all say "hello!"

You are saying it is the fans fault Jerry ?

I don't think you really mean that.

I was very disappointed in Robert last year. Till i read the details of the groin injury. he gets a pass from me. Lets hope he and TT can some synergy going

: )

Josh Reed, Stevie Johnson and David Nelson all say "hello!"

Im sorry but this makes no fricken sense at all

David Nelson was an excellent number 3

Stevie Johnson was a 1000 yard receive for us

Currently we have a number 1 better then ALL of them.....we are looking for a THIRD receiver....read this carefully.....a THIRD receiver