Robert Woods

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time in the system breeds cohesion which leads to more success.

Yup.

How about consecutive years, with the same OC system and the same QB for once. Woods hasn't seen that since he's been here. Marrone changed the offense a couple of times and that was only in 2013.

Yep.

Perhaps there are people that think the offense is fine? Or they just need a lineman or 2. I think it is just getting to "acceptable", and a WR a couple notches above Woods will make the most difference. I think the line play was better than the WR play.

Short of a new QB, what would make this offense better?

We can certainly draft someone in the later rounds. But I say avoid expensive FAs and early draft picks on a #2 receiver.

I for one dig Woods. He's a warrior, great competitor and loves contact.

1) Woods is a great possession WR, doesn't have the speed, but runs great routes.

2) 2015 season he got injured. On one play against the Jags, I could see he was hurting throughout the game, but he came through BIG

3) He could have battled the groin injury throughout the season. In the Pats game he fumbles, he winces when trying for extra yards. It could of happened then, maybe earlier. Just like hammy's, groin injuries linger throughout the season.

We're so used to mediocrity in Buffalo, it is easy to think RW is good, or excellent, but he is just average. Take a look at the Steelers or Cardinals. all of those guys are Weapons. We have one in Sammy, and if you add TE, Clay. We need another big WR.

correct. Woods is good, but not what they need as TT will be throwing it 30 times a game next year now that 1st year proving ground is finally over. NFL is ultimately a throwing league and if you can't throw it you are not going very far. Look at the kids Seattle drafted this year and how they made a big difference. Gotta draft QB, WR, OT on the offensive side ... I'm sure they will. Who knows what round they'll come in, as they will draft DE/LB as well; depends on BPA at the time. Should be more fun this year as they are pretty loaded at many high impact positions right now. They can go out right now with today's group and win 10+ IMO.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

why don't you see him as a fit for what we need? We are a running team. Running teams need WRs that can block. Woods is our best blocking receiver. So woods is exactly what we need. The guy has one down year on a team that might throw the ball 20 times a game and also played with a torn groin most of the season while still getting open and everyone wants him gone.

You people are nuts.

If the most important thing you're looking for in a WR is blocking, then I have no idea what to say to you except that you should stop talking football. That insane. Incidentally, Greg Little is the best blocking WR on the team now. He can't catch for crap, but he's a hell of a blocker. If blocking is all that matters, then he's your starter.

The Bills predominantly run the ball, but they also rely on beating defenses deep throughout the game. If the run game pulls up defenders, then the receivers beat them over the top. If the defenders play back to prevent the deep ball, the. the run game thrives. Without viable deep threats nothing works though. Again, I like Woods. I just don't think he is the guy the Bills need opposite Watkins. He'd fit in better with other offenses - ones that emphasize short and intermediate routes - and that's where he belongs. He should wind up in one after next season.

Edited by BarleyNY

he's solid would benefit from another speed guy...Rivers threw it 661 Tyrod threw it 380 that's nearly 300 more passes for guys like Brees Rivers and some others. Your not gonna put up big numbers this year with limited pass attempts - As mentioned played through a groin injury and lined up most weeks. I would love to see them replace Hogan, he drops way to often for what he brings. Hogan also can never draw the PI flag I'm not sure if its lack of respect or what but it never happens. Side note Hogan also up there on special teams penalties

Edited by CardinalScotts

If the most important thing you're looking for in a WR is blocking, then I have no idea what to say to you except that you should stop talking football. That insane. Incidentally, Greg Little is the best blocking WR on the team now. He can't catch for crap, but he's a hell of a blocker. If blocking is all that matters, then he's your starter.

The Bills predominantly run the ball, but they also rely on beating defenses deep throughout the game. If the run game pulls up defenders, then the receivers beat them over the top. If the defenders play back to prevent the deep ball, the. the run game thrives. Without viable deep threats nothing works though. Again, I like Woods. I just don't think he is the guy the Bills need opposite Watkins. He'd fit in better with other offenses - ones that emphasize short and intermediate routes - and that's where he belongs. He should wind up in one after next season.

you said he wasnt a fit for the offense and I said him being a strong blocker alone makes him a fit(one of many reasons) and apparently the coaches value strong blocking.

We don't throw deep 100% of the time so we do need a receiver that is good at short and intermediate routes. Every team needs solid receivers with good hands and route running. Is woods a no.1 receiver? Nope. No. 2? Maybe, could be above aveage to good depending on QB and offense. No. 3? Yes and a good one on pretty much any team but maybe a couple.

He has put up decent numbers for a no. 2 receiver with crap for QBs or very low passing attempts as an offense. He doesn't need to be the no 2 though. He fits perfectly as a no. 3 in this offense.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

• 1 month later...

Its a good article

I think people are being a little too hard on Robert......he does in fact catch first downs.

Agreed. I don't think he'll ever put up monster numbers, but he's a useful tool for the offense.

Its a good article

I think people are being a little too hard on Robert......he does in fact catch first downs.

I don't think there is any Robert Woods hatred out there, just you'd wish he was a #3 or #4 instead of #2 - he's a guy you wish was an inch taller, 10lbs heavier and a tenth of second faster - he's not a guy I wish was off the team but at the #2 I want something better than he was last year - that could be an improved Robert Woods or Greg little/Greg Salas/Jarrett Boykin/Leonard Hankerson/ stepping up or some other option.

Why all the hate on Woody? He has incredible hands, blocks very well, produces when given the opportunity, and is tough as nails. Everyone on here is saying that we need to get a better number 2 guy, but I really like Woods. I get that drafting someone like Treadwell would be awesome, but don't you think we have other glaring needs? I'd say O-line, LB, and Safety are all bigger needs than WR. Woods has been pretty good for us and has done all he is asked to do, which is all we need out of a number 2.

Woods is a good WR2 when you have a big red zone threat like a Megatron or julio jones. since we got sammy we need a big body WR on the other side. I think Woody is a great receiver just not the big red zone threat we need to compliment Sammy. No one is gonna double team woods, Woods is gonna be a great slot WR when we draft a good X WR in the 3rd-5th round. Also since Tyrod wasnt the undisputed starter last season he didnt get time to build football chem with sammy or woods. Woods played hurt all season so I expect him to be a lot more involved next season when Roman throws a little more at Tyrod.

Woods is great. Doesn't have the speed as a number one, but is clutch throughout his high school/college/pro career. He had issues in 2015, but those could be results of a new scheme

and remember he played with a significant injury for 12 games.

I don't think there is any Robert Woods hatred out there, just you'd wish he was a #3 or #4 instead of #2 - he's a guy you wish was an inch taller, 10lbs heavier and a tenth of second faster - he's not a guy I wish was off the team but at the #2 I want something better than he was last year - that could be an improved Robert Woods or Greg little/Greg Salas/Jarrett Boykin/Leonard Hankerson/ stepping up or some other option.

Lets remember Woods had a groin injury last season that pretty much kills your speed and explosion. I think Woods is gonna be a great Slot WR we just need to find a red zone threat WR2 in the draft. Also looking forward to putting Deonte Thompson back on the field, he was great in preseason

Edited by Marty McFly

He's a good player but adding a top 60 wr (i.e. Ok #2, good #3) and playing a 3 wide with McCoy and clay on the field is likely our best shot at realistically improving the offense.

Wood likely leaves for a good 2nd contract so taking a wr early to develop is proactive team building (day 2? I don't know the wr draft slotting this year yet). Could be a big body or layering in more speed.