Tyrod Taylor had a quietly spectacular day

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telling me to use google to find the stats that you conveniently eliminated to yield your own narrative is hilarious. Especially after I already found them and had to post them.

Tyrod had a spectacular day in the same way that you're spectacular at watching football games with an unbiased opinion.

Actually, you posted nothing of the sort. I posted three of TT's key third-down plays that helped the Bills win ONE game, namely against Dallas. The majority of my post was irrefutably Dallas-related, and how the Bills' game plan was a good fit for that particular opponent. For whatever reason you cited the TEAM's third-down conversion percentage for the game, and then the season. If you think blanket stats that include many third-down runs on a RB-first team are relevant to Tyrod's three good third-down plays from one game, then I have to question just how much you know about football. And when you have to twist other peoples' words to make your "point," you don't have one. You're not able to show me where I called Tyrod "spectacular," because I didn't. Insisting I did won't make it so.

Look, attribute inaccurate/false quotes to me all you want. But understand that you look pretty desperate doing so, regardless of how many other TT haters you get to back you up.

Actually, you posted nothing of the sort. I posted three of TT's key third-down plays that helped the Bills win ONE game, namely against Dallas. The majority of my post was irrefutably Dallas-related, and how the Bills' game plan was a good fit for that particular opponent. For whatever reason you cited the TEAM's third-down conversion percentage for the game, and then the season. If you think blanket stats that include many third-down runs on a RB-first team are relevant to Tyrod's three good third-down plays from one game, then I have to question just how much you know about football. And when you have to twist other peoples' words to make your "point," you don't have one. You're not able to show me where I called Tyrod "spectacular," because I didn't. Insisting I did won't make it so.

Look, attribute inaccurate/false quotes to me all you want. But understand that you look pretty desperate doing so, regardless of how many other TT haters you get to back you up.

So you looked at three times Tyrod threw for a first down and said, look he won the game (which I agreed with). I looked at the whole year's 3rd down percentage (you didn't like that) and now I'm the one cherry picking stats that knows nothing about football.

Edited by fridge

300 yards passing and coming from behind, which he's never done. Only time TT has looked good is in games the Bills dominated. Yes I m happy for the most part with his play, but overall it was a disappointing year.

Rams are the only other team not to throw for 300 yards in 2015.

The offense was better then expected, but the Bills completely underutilized their best player SW and they have a coaching staff still thinking that 70's football wins in 2015.

Edited by Billsfan1972

So you looked at three times Tyrod threw for a first down and said, look he won the game (which I agreed with). I looked at the whole year's 3rd down percentage (you didn't like that) and now I'm the one cherry picking stats that knows nothing about football.

You didn't even get THIS right! Show me where I wrote that Tyrod "won the game." Now you're saying you agreed with something I never said? Man, I'll give this one more try against my better judgment.

Two of Tyrod's third-down conversions were key plays in extending drives on which the Bills scored. Here's my quote from that post. Again, show me where I said that Tyrod single-handedly won us the game, as you continue to insinuate I did: "While not flashy with passing numbers, TT did more than enough to keep drives alive and help us win. Go ahead and rip on him for the INT. Fact is, TT was money yesterday in more ways than most care to acknowledge or comprehend. He's not a franchise guy yet, but he's the closest thing we have and he'll get another chance to improve and prove it next year."

As to your second point, I don't care that you looked at the whole year's 3rd-down conversion percentages because that's not at all a true measure of TT's personal performance for yesterday's game which was the subject of my post. You know this thread is about one game, right? Hint -- The word "day" in the title. If you wanted to go there, fine. But don't use an apples-to-oranges stat as a "rebuttal" in an apples-to-apples conversation. Maybe you did it intentionally because looking at all passing third-down conversion plays from yesterday sure as heck doesn't help you out. Better yet, apply your logic to the Pats-Cowboys game. Brady must not be a franchise quarterback because New England (the whole team) only converted 3/10 third down conversions -- right? Nothing else should be factored in because fridge said so; Brady SUCKS! (Yup, that's what it's like when someone claims you said something you didn't).

I welcome all comers in debates, but stay on point, understand context and use correct attribution. Whatever the reason, you took my post as a direct attack on you. I take no responsibility -- and make no apologies -- for others' insecurities.

Understood but its sort of mind boggling and off putting that the best thing this team's came up with in 16 years is Tyrod Taylor...

And as much as he scrambles, while he is good at it, he will never make it through a full NFL season with the defenses in this league nowadays.

Personally, I think Fitz is a better qb than Taylor. Obviously with more time, this can change. Edited by C.Biscuit97

300 yards passing and coming from behind, which he's never done. Only time TT has looked good is in games the Bills dominated. Yes I m happy for the most part with his play, but overall it was a disappointing year.

The offense was better then expected, but the Bills completely underutilized their best player SW and they have a coaching staff still thinking that 70's football wins in 2015.

Just nitpicking but the whole 300 yards thing is a bit silly. EJ had 298 and I believe Taylor had a 290 game. That said, we aren't a good passing team.

Me thinks that Bills fans GROSSLY overestimate the play of the offensive line because of the run game when they mostly sucked at pass blocking, and GROSSLY underestimate Taylor's escapability, scrambling, throwing on the run, and actual running as an element of his overall QB play, even if they acknowledge he's a sensational runner.

Given the protection he got, he was extraordinary and one of the very best in the league at getting production from those snaps. As far as actual production he was in the middle of the league, which was very good.

This.

Personally, I think Fitz is a better qb than Taylor. Obviously with more time, this can change.

Fitz sees the field better and understands his options better. I don't think he's a more talented player, and his limitations and crunch-time mistakes always reveal themselves. I love the guy to death, and I think he should have been the Bills' quarterback the last two seasons, but he is not carrying any team to the Super Bowl. I think Tyrod absolutely could once he gets more experience.

Just nitpicking but the whole 300 yards thing is a bit silly. EJ had 298 and I believe Taylor had a 290 game. That said, we aren't a good passing team.

You're not nitpicking at all. Russell Wilson didn't hit 300 yards in the regular season his first year as a starter, and he was criticized for that. He finally did it in the second round of the playoffs that year, which the Seahawks lost to Atlanta. Wilson did it only once this year, twice last year, and twice in 2013. That's six games with 300+ yards in four years (including playoffs) out of 71. Brees did it nine times this season -- including one for 400+ and one for 500+ -- and the Saints have a worse record than we do. I agree that it's a silly stat.

Edited by Felonious Monk

Um, well, maybe they think that what you term "70s football" wins in 2015 because in 2011, it won 13 games and went to the conference championship; in 2012 it won 11 games and went to the superbowl; in 2013, it won 12 games and went to the conference championship? Of course it had a pretty tough defense (#2 or #3) to go with it at that point, but given the Bills rank last year on D, perhaps it wasn't toooo much of a stretch to think they might achieve a comparable result with a comparably stout D?

Moreover, in 2012, 2013, and 2014 Roman could look to the north, where this team formerly called the SeaSnakes (now Seahawks in honor of #22) was running over people about as well, and going to playoffs, winning the superbowl, and losing the superbowl. They have a short QB who is noted for his scrambling ability.

Perhaps that is another reason why our coaches think they can win with "70s football"?

I do agree that Sammy Watkins was under-utilized, in part because Tyrod didn't seem to see him.

You're not nitpicking at all. Russell Wilson didn't hit 300 yards in the regular season his first year as a starter, and he was criticized for that. He finally did it in the second round of the playoffs that year, which the Seahawks lost to Atlanta. Wilson did it only once this year, twice last year, and twice in 2013. That's six games with 300+ yards in four years (including playoffs) out of 71. Brees did it nine times this season -- including one for 400+ and one for 500+ -- and the Saints have a worse record than we do. I agree that it's a silly stat in determining W's and L's.

Yup. 300 yard games these days are as much a function of a team using a lot of screens and slants (NE) in lieu of run plays, or deficient running games, as they are of great passers. Kelly Holcomb had some big yardage days but I would take Tyrod over him 100 times out of 100.

Yup. 300 yard games these days are as much a function of a team using a lot of screens and slants (NE) in lieu of run plays, or deficient running games, as they are of great passers. Kelly Holcomb had some big yardage days but I would take Tyrod over him 100 times out of 100.

Ding ding ding.

You are absolutely correct. Being a bit of a stats geek, I once put myself together a giant table and had me some fun looking at what QB stats actually seemed important to the outcome of a game (stats geeks think messing around with tables of numbers is fun, that's what makes us stats geeks). Not only is passing yardage not correlated with winning, it has a week *negative* correlation with winning.

Possible reasons why:

1) teams who can't run successfully, maybe because it's being shut down hard, tend to pass more 'cuz they got to. They are usually passing under pressure, and have more opportunity to make mistakes such as throwing picks or fumbles.

2) teams who are trailing by several scores, tend to pass more. Because they are pushing to make things happen, again, they may also be prone to make more mistakes

3) some Ds give up a lot of yards, but are stingy on points. This can generate a lot of pass yardage without putting anything much on the scoreboard

No one compared Taylor to Holcomb except for you. Of course you would take Taylor over Holcomb 100/100 times.

300 yard games are not a complete barometer for QB success, I agree with that. I do think that yardage is a qualifier for "spectacular," which I believe is the essence of this thread.

Edited by fridge

You're not nitpicking at all. Russell Wilson didn't hit 300 yards in the regular season his first year as a starter, and he was criticized for that. He finally did it in the second round of the playoffs that year, which the Seahawks lost to Atlanta. Wilson did it only once this year, twice last year, and twice in 2013. That's six games with 300+ yards in four years (including playoffs) out of 71. Brees did it nine times this season -- including one for 400+ and one for 500+ -- and the Saints have a worse record than we do. I agree that it's a silly stat.

And I might add...after going to the Superbowl twice in 3 seasons, the playoffs his first season, and playoffs again this season, you can still google "Russ Wilson Not Elite" and find a bunch of pundits (and Mike Pettine) opining about how Wilson is Not All That.

300 yard games are not a complete barometer for QB success, I agree with that. I do think that yardage is a qualifier for "spectacular," which I believe is the essence of this thread.

Well, if your point is just Taylor played a good game despite his INT and 0 TD, made 3rd down conversions when he needed to, and had a lot to do with getting the win, but he wasn't quite "spectacular" in most uses of the word....I would tend to agree.

Well, if your point is just Taylor played a good game despite his INT and 0 TD, made 3rd down conversions when he needed to, and had a lot to do with getting the win, but he wasn't quite "spectacular" in most uses of the word....I would tend to agree.

Yeah, Taylor was good. He's been fine in a number of games this year. He's an average QB and that's about what we should expect from him, to beat 4-11 teams at home in a glorified preseason game.

Well he is for sure better than any we have had in a long time & i personally hope that once & for all this will give the FO at One Bills Dr. the foot balls to get rid of EJ .

Tyrod is a gamer and has a lot more that he could & will learn but i don't know that he is the future ?

He is a Bills type of player ! The underdog guy thats looking to prove he is that guy . That being said for goodness sake

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !! don't give him a huge contract like the Bills did to Fitz until he proves himself further, & if you do want to give him a bigger contract make it a incentive based contract !

:wallbash::wallbash:

He can't throw over the middle if his receivers aren't there. That's Roman's playcalling, as is running on 2/3 of the plays.

PTR- i agree this is due to a lack of trust from Roman on TT as to designing plays over the middle. i would like to see TT see the whole field. He does miss some guys at times, but so does most NFL QB's.

My standard Tyrod post:

- he's exceeded my expectations

- he still doesn't see the middle of the field, holds the ball too long, and bails from he pocket instead of climbing to safety

- he's done enough to merit going into the offseason as the starter

- a veteran backup should be signed

- a high draft pick (rd 1-3) should be used on a potential franchise guy

100% correct.

No one compared Taylor to Holcomb except for you. Of course you would take Taylor over Holcomb 100/100 times.

Holcomb is just an example of how you can both be a bum and produce a 300 yard day. There is a litany of such QBs.

100% correct.

agreed

Tyrod is the only reason this team sucked this year. Sorry. lol

wtf is wrong with you

/thread

BTW i seriously enjoyed your optimism.

He has been a beacon of hope. and damn if he has not tried to lead by example.

But he better listen to Eric Wood, and take care of himself for the long term

My standard Tyrod post:

- he's exceeded my expectations

- he still doesn't see the middle of the field, holds the ball too long, and bails from he pocket instead of climbing to safety

- he's done enough to merit going into the offseason as the starter

- a veteran backup should be signed

- a high draft pick (rd 1-3) should be used on a potential franchise guy

This is all true, but I'll add:

Taylor has often run when he doesn't see a receiver open, including times he hasn't properly gone through progressions to find someone who is open. He's to be complimented that he's made a lot of positive plays instead of negative ones in those instances. But he's still not recognizing open receivers in some instances and he's taking a lot of additional punishment by pulling the ball down so often. He threw 18 times and ran 14 times against Dallas. Maybe 2 or so of those runs were called. So that means he pulled the ball down and ran on pass plays about 40% of the time in that game. That's way too much. I wish I knew the season numbers. If Roman called more pass plays and he kept up that running percentage Taylor would get killed. He's got to improve his reads and progressions or this is his ceiling.

Taylor has often run when he doesn't see a receiver open, including times he hasn't properly gone through progressions to find someone who is open. He's to be complimented that he's made a lot of positive plays instead of negative ones in those instances. But he's still not recognizing open receivers in some instances and he's taking a lot of additional punishment by pulling the ball down so often. He threw 18 times and ran 14 times against Dallas. Maybe 2 or so of those runs were called. So that means he pulled the ball down and ran on pass plays about 40% of the time in that game. That's way too much. I wish I knew the season numbers. If Roman called more pass plays and he kept up that running percentage Taylor would get killed. He's got to improve his reads and progressions or this is his ceiling.

He has progressed, and i did notice his eyes moving when i can see them via TV finally. I will consider him a work in progress. But worth the investment.

But Bills still need to stay in tune to finding The Guy. ya never know..

But yea Barley he needs to make some steps forward under Romans program for the team and his long term health.

Me thinks that Bills fans GROSSLY overestimate the play of the offensive line because of the run game when they mostly sucked at pass blocking, and GROSSLY underestimate Taylor's escapability, scrambling, throwing on the run, and actual running as an element of his overall QB play, even if they acknowledge he's a sensational runner.

Given the protection he got, he was extraordinary and one of the very best in the league at getting production from those snaps. As far as actual production he was in the middle of the league, which was very good.

I agree with this and three good players on a line doesn't make it great by any means. I also want to add that the Bills receiver corps really isn't as great as the fans think it is. The Bills still lacking that big WR target like a Mike Evans, Brandon Marshall, and past the #1, the rest are not so good IMO.

Tyrod did well in his first year of starting in an offense purposely limited by design in the passing game. I also feel the offense would have been helped greatly this year with even a top 15 defense and one that did better than 30th in sacks. A better defense gives the offense more opportunities / chances with the ball rather than the long drives from opponenets that ensued this year.

Our line is definitely better run blocking than pass blocking at this point - no question about that. Incognito has had some wobbles in pass protection down the stretch, Glenn seems to struggle with pure speed rushers (and deals better oddly with some of the better technicians at the DE spot) and Miller is a below league average pass protector at this stage whilst right tackle has been a turnstile.

However, that shouldn't be a surprise.... Rex and Roman want to be a run first football team and Whaley himself comes from that Pittsburgh model of you run to protect a young Quarterback. They drafted a guard who everyone knew was a really solid run blocker who was very raw in pass protection, they signed Incognito who was known as a strong run blocker.... they were building this line for the team they wanted. They then also picked a QB who cover up some of the deficiencies there might be in pass protection. This team is built the way they wanted to build it.

Carson Palmer? 7.

I think there are 3 elite quarterbacks in the NFL today - Brady, Rodgers and Roethlisberger. There are then from that point somewhere from 12 to 15 Franchise Quarterbacks and then there is everyone else who is still looking for the guy. However, even within the still looking bracket there are those who might have found the answer and those who definitely haven't. The Bills for me are in the former group with the Raiders (Carr), Jags (Bortles), Vikings (Bridgewater), Buccs (Winston) and Titans (Mariota). The latter group is Houston, Cleveland, Philly, St Louis, San Fran and then more contentiously in my opinion - the Jets (Fitz is a stopgap and is a FA), the Dolphins (they are going nowhere with Tannehill), the Broncos (not sold at all on Brock).

Personally, I think Fitz is a better qb than Taylor. Obviously with more time, this can change.

And I think it will. Fitz has been a starter for 104 games in his 11 year career. He started more games for St Louis and Cincy than Tyrod has for The Bills this year. Fitz has had a lot of time to develop on the field. TT's just starting out and I think he's a much better athlete than Fitz. Knowledge will come with experience. But he needs better OLine help to make that happen. JMHO.

It's a throwing league and when your QB loses most game when throwing over 20 passes your in trouble. Three wins when throwing over over passes is not a long term answer at QB. Wins against Miami, NYJ and Houston with 29, 27 and 21 attempts and losses in all other games he throws over 20 times is not a receipe for success in today's NFL. Yes you can beat the bad teams that way but will never have a chance to win big meaningful games or playoff games on a regular basis with that type of QB production.

The way I see it a true Franchise QB has the ability to carry his team to victory on a regular basis. His team goes into games expecting to win because they know he's the guy who can elevate the team to a win under almost any circumstance.

I like both definitions

Wins are a TEAM stat...not a QB stat

I think it would also be interesting to see a chart of the percentage of throws to the areas of the field over the course of the 16 game season

It seems to me that TT worked the sidelines pretty heavy early in the season......and started working the middle a lot more as the season went on.

Just like productivity from working from the pocket......to my naked eye was not great in the beginning and throws improved as the season went on.

I saw him climb the pocket on a play yesterday and make a great throw

once again.......progression

They broke it down for brady who was perfectly even. And I think Kaepernick under Roman and someone else. I appologize. Any rate.Kaepernick and Taylor were the only 2 to have such a large deviation. There was even 1 or 2 they mentioned who throw the ball over the middle more than anything. They basically deduced that Romans system calls for those passes, most likely to open up the middle for running

I'm sorry, but Hogan would've been the LAST person I would've thrown the ball too in that situation. Sammy Watkins was the ONLY OPTION

To you and me... but not tbe guy throwing the ball. HE NEVER EVEN LOOKED LEFT.

The guy has 13 starts, doesn't matter how long he backed up Flacco. You don't get a sense for the speed of the game in practice and it certainly doesn't come from watching on the sidelines. 3rd down conversions aren't only on the QB, a lot of it has to do with play calling. I think Roman's play calling in critical situations is atrocious. If you want Tyrod to pass for a first down he's gotta have more than 2 routes to choose from.

People criticize his tendency to throw it up down the sideline in those spots but he's throwing to Watkins so my question is, why is your best receiver running a go/fly on 3rd and 8? Seems to be a regular thing. I think Clay was seeing a lot of targets because he is at least running a sensible route in those situations. And don't even get me started on the short passing game. I loved seeing Bridgewater stand up from center and shoot a pass to his outside receiver last night. Watkins made his living off of those kinds of plays in college and Roman hasn't done it once.

You can't just point at the guy with 13 starts and put it all on him. The defense regressed significantly this year, they have over a half mile in penalties, the play calling is suspect on 3rd down and in the red zone and I can't remember a team with more injuries (maybe under Jauron?). The whole team has struggled this year and I think Tyrod is the least of worries.

I dont THINK anyone is putting it on Tyrod. What i think the major grievance is with the people who want to force him into elite franchize mode. I bet you Tyrod is teetering on the line of qualifying for most of his accolades. I would be curious how he falls in line with regular starting qbs with atleast 13 games this year. Basically passing attempts, yards, completions. We know the TDs and completion percentage is not too skewed. But when your qb throws under 20 times multiple times in a season. He better have a high completion percentage.

Just curious where he stacks up

It's a throwing league and when your QB loses most game when throwing over 20 passes your in trouble. Three wins when throwing over over passes is not a long term answer at QB. Wins against Miami, NYJ and Houston with 29, 27 and 21 attempts and losses in all other games he throws over 20 times is not a receipe for success in today's NFL. Yes you can beat the bad teams that way but will never have a chance to win big meaningful games or playoff games on a regular basis with that type of QB production.

I think fans here forget about the most important aspect about being a viable starting QB in the NFL. It's not about completion percentages or QBR, it's about what you do in the fourth quarter when your team needs big plays in the passing game to win the close games. This is Taylor's biggest failure so far, but it's something you can chalk up to fact that he's still developing as a starting QB. It's not a knock, it just is what it is right now.

The best thing for the Bills on Sunday would be for Taylor to win this game with his arm in the final seconds. It would go a long way for him and this team to have confidence that he is getting it and turning the corner to becoming the long term answer. If he doesn't and they lose that doesn't mean he's not the answer, just that he still has next year to prove he can eventually do it. But at some point he needs to start doing this or it's on to another QB.

I think fans here forget about the most important aspect about being a viable starting QB in the NFL. It's not about completion percentages or QBR, it's about what you do in the fourth quarter when your team needs big plays in the passing game to win the close games. This is Taylor's biggest failure so far, but it's something you can chalk up to fact that he's still developing as a starting QB. It's not a knock, it just is what it is right now.

The best thing for the Bills on Sunday would be for Taylor to win this game with his arm in the final seconds. It would go a long way for him and this team to have confidence that he is getting it and turning the corner to becoming the long term answer. If he doesn't and they lose that doesn't mean he's not the answer, just that he still has next year to prove he can eventually do it. But at some point he needs to start doing this or it's on to another QB.

I'll settle for winning in a blow out to shut these !@#$ing Jets fans up

His assessment of Tyrod Taylor and his development was the best part of Whaley's WGR interview. While carefully positive, Whaley clearly laid out what Taylor needs to do to take the next step. I hope Tyrod is listening.

OTOH, a lot of what Tyrod needs to do depends on having an upgraded rt. side of the line in front of him.