Where did it go wrong in 2015

bisonbrigade

I am with ha brother. Let's see what they do long term with Fitz. They ain't winning a Sjper Bowl with him, of that I am almost certain. I am willing to bet they ain't winning a playoff game either with Fitz. Take it a step farther, I am willing to bet the Bills win a payoff game before the Jets. And my damn dog is named Fitzy, cuase I admire the hell out the guy.

I can tell you the exact moment this season turned, and it's all on me. I distinctly remember standing at the trough, Bills had just marched down the field and scored 7 and the Pats had gone 3 and out....I was out of my mind and started singing out loud

" I gotta feeling....Buffalo going to the Super Bowl"

They promptly went 3 and out, and our season has been a chit show ever since.

My bad!

>>>>Take it a step farther, I am willing to bet the Bills win a payoff game before the Jets.<<<<<

Your post was good, and funny. That said, you might want to re-think the above sentence. I would hate to see you in the poor house.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a break with the new system bull ****.

The NY Jets have a new system new coach new QB new GM and are sitting at 9-5 in the thick of the playoff race.

Why do people have to make lame excuses like this? To convince themselves things will get better? I don't get it.

Not my point. and i am not making excuses.

I think fans got over excited too soon.

>>>>Take it a step farther, I am willing to bet the Bills win a payoff game before the Jets.<<<<<

Your post was good, and funny. That said, you might want to re-think the above sentence. I would hate to see you in the poor house.

:lol: Name a nice fun bet...i am in. Course, we may both be six feet under in 3040 when one of thee franchises wins a playoff game, but could be 3 weeks too!

Just nothing that involves pictures on the internet....as everybody loses in that bet! :thumbsup:

In a TE stoked division, the Bills defense is flat out not equipped to compete.

Gronkowski, Jeff Cumberland (6'-4), and Jordan Cameron (6'-5) can create matchup nightmares for the Bills who have very poor coverage LBs.

Brown was rated worst in league, Lawson is good for run stuffing and blitz only, Bradham is worse than Brown and Tarpley should not be on an NFL roster.

Once the TEs get to level 2, now the Bills flyweight DBs are supposed to stop them? Darby is 5' 11 and Robey is 5' 8, 165. Those are matchups made well south of heaven.

Extremely poor coverage LBs combined with flyweight DBs who cannot tackle big men in a TE happy division is a recipe for disaster.

That is where it effin went wrong in 2015!

Edited by jethro_tull

Kim Pegula hiring Rex Ryan --> Rex Ryan asking for Tyrod Taylor.

That's where it went wrong. Both of them suck at what they do.

The Pegulas hiring Rex Ryan and Rex bringing in all his cronies from the Jets D coaching staff, including Thurman as DC seems like a logical place.

I don't get all the Taylor hate. Where is the MagicalWonderQB available to the Bills who was better? The Bills traded for a QB, signed a dark horse FA, and kept EJ. Is there any argument that Taylor is the best of the 3?

The offense improved from 20th in the league to 13th in the league. The defense skidded from 4th to whatever they are now - 18th? 20th? 'Nuff said where the problem is.

No, that was Bills fan 4 life.

LOL...despite what the numbers say.

26TD; 12INT; 245yds rushing; two rushing TD's; 9-5.

Tyrod's #s 20TD's 5 picks 450 yards and 3 rushing TD's; Not bad for a first season playing

6-8................................because Tyrod can't rush the passer, cover, or tackle???

He doesn't suck. He's decent, and he was decent last year too. There's an in-between category good and sucks.

Yes, This. I love it how people around here (including people I respect) have no space between "great" and "awful".

Fitz is a competent NFL QB who is not gifted enough to be in the top-tier of NFL QBs - but then, we got pundits saying that about Russell Wilson. I forget who said it, but someone summed Fitz up pretty well: a QB who is not good enough to be retained by multiple teams, which then do a totally inadequate job of replacing him with someone better.

Yes, This. I love it how people around here (including people I respect) have no space between "great" and "awful".

Fitz is a competent NFL QB who is not gifted enough to be in the top-tier of NFL QBs - but then, we got pundits saying that about Russell Wilson. I forget who said it, but someone summed Fitz up pretty well: a QB who is not good enough to be retained by multiple teams, which then do a totally inadequate job of replacing him with someone better.

Fitzy has had back-to-back very good seasons. His team has a winning record. The Fitzy hate is envy, nothing more or less. Particularly since any objective observer would realize everything the Bills have done since dumping him has resulted in essentially zero progress.

Whaley's plan to win was surrounding EJ Manuel with skill players and rely on his defense. Using two 1st rounders on Watkins was dumb then and has been a bust. Same for Manuel who he had faith in.

The defense probably over-achieved the past two seasons and has now been exposed as average.

The plan this off-season will be to re-tool on defense but expect more mediocrity with Whaley and Rex.

I wish the D was average. :bag:

It went wrong the moment fat headed Rex Ryan got rid of Jim Schwartz. One could even argue the team was doomed to failure upon the actual hiring of Ryan, but if you're looking for the precise moment, then it was right as Schwartz was let go. It is not a coincidence the very team Ryan was fired from actually got better once he left town.

If anyone really expects this team to win more than 5 games next year with Ryan as coach is very seriously delusional.

I do not like Rex Ryan but while your statement is true, it's not all because Rex is gone. Chan Gailey was brought in as OC and improved their offense. Fitz was brought in and took the QB job from Geno (thanks to IK). I don't believe the Jets would be 9-5 with Geno as QB. Brandon Marshall was brought in and has had a Pro Bowl season. This also made Decker the #2 receiver, which is what he is. Revis and Cromartie were brought back and Leonard Williams was brought in thru the draft.

I'm not saying the Jets would be 9-5 if Rex was still there and all of these other changes were made but it's not all because Rex is gone.

The root cause is Pegs not cleaning out all of Ralph's trash from the get-go. Relying on a proven chump like Russ Brandon to assist with the decision-making process was a recipe for disaster.

This may not be too far off, actually. If we're looking for a common denominator, Brandon came to the Bills in 1997 and has steadily expanded his role ever since, especially since 2006 and including a stint as de facto GM where our drafts were horrible.

Why pay Millions for defense line players and ask them to fall into coverage

LOL! This

"Almost every big name on this roster was either acquired for way too much or cast aside by the rest of the NFL. When the Bills hired Rex Ryan, he almost satisfied both criteria. The Bills already had a good defense. They needed offense the one thing the rest of the league agreed was beyond Rexs purview. Then we found out they were coming into camp with a quarterback battle between EJ Manuel and Taylor? And McCoy was supposed to change everything? It was a disaster in the making."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/tell-your-grandkids-about-the-2015-buffalo-bills/

Posted this link in another thread, thought it more appropriate here.

I disagree with almost every big name on the roster was acquired for way too much or cast aside by the NFL. I can think of 5 players that fall into that category?

It went wrong during week 2 against the Pats!!

Where did Rex Ryan go wrong in his first season in Buffalo?

461529298-645x356.jpg

By Chris Trapasso

Boy has the tenor changed on Bills head coach Rex Ryan in Western New York.

He was inheriting an elite defense and an offense with a collection of new shiny toys. THIS was year. Fast forward 11 months — Buffalo will miss the playoffs for the 16th-straight season, and many want Rex fired. What happened?

These are some thoughts on where Rex went wrong, his future in Buffalo and the state of the Bills moving into 2016.

In a TE stoked division, the Bills defense is flat out not equipped to compete.

Gronkowski, Jeff Cumberland (6'-4), and Jordan Cameron (6'-5) can create matchup nightmares for the Bills who have very poor coverage LBs.

Brown was rated worst in league, Lawson is good for run stuffing and blitz only, Bradham is worse than Brown and Tarpley should not be on an NFL roster.

Once the TEs get to level 2, now the Bills flyweight DBs are supposed to stop them? Darby is 5' 11 and Robey is 5' 8, 165. Those are matchups made well south of heaven.

Extremely poor coverage LBs combined with flyweight DBs who cannot tackle big men in a TE happy division is a recipe for disaster.

That is where it effin went wrong in 2015!

ANd yet we are 3-2 in our division beating both Miami and the Jets.

ANd yet we are 3-2 in our division beating both Miami and the Jets.

Good point but the matchup issues remain. They didn't win when it counted- e,g, the Patriots, and teams out of the division have exploited the weak LBs / flyweight DBs with their tight end based passing game- most recently the Redskins (Jordan Reid) and going back to the Bengals game as well with Tyler Eifert. Other teams are watching and modeling a TE based offense as modeled by the Patriots.

The Bills defensive personnel roster has failed to match up against this type of offense. It isn't coaching- it's size and athleticism issues.

Edited by jethro_tull

Great article (there's also another thread about it: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183945-article-where-did-rex-go-wrong-in-his-first-season-in-bflo/)

Amazing, it seems to be saying it wasn't ALL on Rex, or ALL on the players (and definitely not on Tyrod), but missteps on both sides.

I don't see Rex going anywhere, so let's hope that he takes some of Chris' advice...

Great article (there's also another thread about it: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183945-article-where-did-rex-go-wrong-in-his-first-season-in-bflo/)

Amazing, it seems to be saying it wasn't ALL on Rex, or ALL on the players (and definitely not on Tyrod), but missteps on both sides.

I don't see Rex going anywhere, so let's hope that he takes some of Chris' advice...

Trapasso is one of the best guys to follow as he often provides excellent insight on all things Bills. :thumbsup: