Herm Edwards Rant Toward Mccoy and Murray

Protocal69

Herm's an animated guy. Terrible coach, but he actually makes a good point here.

He's upset that players aren't more professional and put their own egos ahead of the team.

Was Shady really unprofessional and egoistical?

Looking at the totality of Shady's behavior since coming here, I'd say no. But his remarks about Chip should have probably been saved for private conversations with friends and family.

Herm's right that players should think about their fellow players in the locker room before opening their mouths to the media. But Shady's case is far from the worst.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwards made a complete fool of himself -nothing new. Show some stones, Hermmy and do what you said; Walk off the set.

Quick question: Who's more likely to be in the League next year, Shady or Chip?

That's his schtick. Rant and rave about something to make it seem bigger then it is.

Personally I have no issue with what Shady said and I watched the whole interview. He is (and has always been) a pretty candid and intelligent guy. He does not like Kelly, doesn't back off from what he said and doesn't want to be fake about it. He pretty much said that there is no reason to exchange pleasantries because we don't have a relationship like that.

I am sure that you have all moved on to new jobs and when you go back to your old place of work you are happier to see some than others. You have different levels of relationships with former co-workers, bosses, etc...

I have become a BIG fan of Shady. I always knew that he was good but had no idea how good until watching this year. He plays smart, hard, hurt and can play 3 downs. He is the EXACT type of guy that you want on your team. We are very, very fortunate to have him.

What an **** Herm Edwards comes across as. I guess he missed the three times Shady said its not about me. I just want to win. I don't want to get too hyped up and hurt my teammates. I don't care about the statistics.

I saw Herm go balistic....wondered if there had been another interview by McCoy where he got out of line.....but, no, Herm just decided to go off...not based on anything said by McCoy in the Media this week.

Lebretard brings sports radio into the 21st century - with all the political correctness, hyper-sensitivity, and sanctimony of the next generation.

I think that might be going too far, because he spoofs himself as a race baiting blowhard all the time.

He is no Sully though, who is of the 'current/past' generation, that's for sure!

ESPN's sole purpose in the sports world, at this point, is to make sure that controversy is always swirling. About 80% of their programming revolves around "this vs that" kind of "discussion". I get the essence of what Herm Edwards is saying, and I can't say that I completely disagree with him in essence...his "take" is that of an NFL coach. However, he is not an NFL coach anymore, and is taking money to be part of the exact machinery he professes to hate so much. For that, I have zero respect for him. What an ass.

Also, at this point, it is hard for me to get too riled up over something stupid an athlete may say. I think it is obvious, most of these guys are adults, only chronologically... they are paid for their physical skills, not their verbal skills. and nuanced thinking.

Shady is my man hundred grand. I have no problem with him expressing how he feels. These players aren't slaves. "Shut up and play"? Gtfoh. More fans need to just shut up and watch the games and stop telling players how they should behave.

I saw Herm go balistic....wondered if there had been another interview by McCoy where he got out of line.....but, no, Herm just decided to go off...not based on anything said by McCoy in the Media this week.

It sounded, to me, that this was his scripted reaction, and not a reaction to anything that McCoy actually said.

I don't need any further evidence that Herm Edwards is an idiot so won't bother reading his thoughts. I just came back from the gym where I watched the beginning of the ESPN show with Stephen Smith-Skip Bayless (with no sound of course) and read Smith's comments which were pretty spot on. Shady hasn't said or done anything that harms the Bills -- and that's what matters. Dude is bitter about his former coach trading him -- big deal. He's not the only former player who's been less than complimentary about Chip Kelly.

ESPN's sole purpose in the sports world, at this point, is to make sure that controversy is always swirling. About 80% of their programming revolves around "this vs that" kind of "discussion". I get the essence of what Herm Edwards is saying, and I can't say that I completely disagree with him in essence...his "take" is that of an NFL coach. However, he is not an NFL coach anymore, and is taking money to be part of the exact machinery he professes to hate so much. For that, I have zero respect for him. What an ass.

Also, at this point, it is hard for me to get too riled up over something stupid an athlete may say. I think it is obvious, most of these guys are adults, only chronologically... they are paid for their physical skills, not their verbal skills. and nuanced thinking.

What I took from that is his underlying frustration is the huge amount of time spent discussing and moralizing on what players say, instead of breaking down games. Throw in deflategate, Hardy, Rice, TO, etc I think he just had enough.

I think his anger at shady is more that if players would just not talk about that stuff, the media wouldn't have anything like that to talk about, and they would talk about the games.

He was about to walk off stage in protest, and I'm sorry but no way dude is getting that worked up about what one player said to the media. This is a much deeper issue for him, definitely wasn't what he signed up to discuss and hopefully this leads to some changes in how espn does things (it won't, but would be nice).

Love when he says he never did anything like that when he was a player, then he gets shut down with a "there was no constant media attention, internet, or interest in you at all as an individual player Herm" line. He's a fool. What Shady said was hilarious, and justified IMO. He said he's not shaking Chip's hand. Big deal. Chip traded him without even calling him first to tell him. Shady is perfectly justified to not want to shake his hand.

Just listened to this - sounds like he didn't listen to mccoy's comments at all or in full. So he made a fool out of himself to anyone who did know what he said, which completely contradicts what Herm said that he said. Lol. Guessing ESPN doesn't care and is appealing to the masses who didn't hear his comments. Par for the course.

Edited by YoloinOhio

What I took from that is his underlying frustration is the huge amount of time spent discussing and moralizing on what players say, instead of breaking down games. Throw in deflategate, Hardy, Rice, TO, etc I think he just had enough.

I think his anger at shady is more that if players would just not talk about that stuff, the media wouldn't have anything like that to talk about, and they would talk about the games.

He was about to walk off stage in protest, and I'm sorry but no way dude is getting that worked up about what one player said to the media. This is a much deeper issue for him, definitely wasn't what he signed up to discuss and hopefully this leads to some changes in how espn does things (it won't, but would be nice).

So people in the media don't have functioning brains and can't make decisions about what to talk about?

Herm Edwards is nothing but another 'look at me do my act' media douchebag.

Sophistry. I think too much of a big deal is being made of this, but McCoy certainly didn't have to say the crap he did about not shaking Kelly's hand. That is all about him regardless of whatever qualifiers he may add.

I don't care that much at all about this tempest in a teacup, but Edwards, blowhard that he is, is not wrong.

I really don't see how anyone can watch that entire interview and think Shady made it all about him. You just can't.

So people in the media don't have functioning brains and can't make decisions about what to talk about?

Herm Edwards is nothing but another 'look at me do my act' media douchebag.

They have production meetings where they choose the topics that will be discussed. Those choices are typically made by the show's producers, not the talent. Producers get their marching orders from the executives, so no he doesn't get to pick what he talks about.

Actually similar to coach/gm relationship. GM picks the players, and coach chooses how to use them. Sounds like Edwards is getting sick of his GM (producer) forcing players (topics) on him that don't match his scheme (desired discussion topics). Think he might even be thinking about it that way, because he said pretty much exactly that right before he really blew up.

We're in a different era than when Herm was a player. That's what he doesn't get. Social media is rampant and it's nearly impossible for a player to not be quoted with a comment, unless he takes the Marshawn Lynch route and eats fines every week. McCoy could have left it at the fact he hasn't stayed in touch or otherwise communicated with Kelly since leaving. That's it. That's all he had to say. It's none the less irresponsible for the media to take one quote out of the context of the entire discussion and focus on it. That's really what Edwards is doing here in his rant.

Personally I have no issue with what Shady said and I watched the whole interview. He is (and has always been) a pretty candid and intelligent guy. He does not like Kelly, doesn't back off from what he said and doesn't want to be fake about it. He pretty much said that there is no reason to exchange pleasantries because we don't have a relationship like that.

I am sure that you have all moved on to new jobs and when you go back to your old place of work you are happier to see some than others. You have different levels of relationships with former co-workers, bosses, etc...

I have become a BIG fan of Shady. I always knew that he was good but had no idea how good until watching this year. He plays smart, hard, hurt and can play 3 downs. He is the EXACT type of guy that you want on your team. We are very, very fortunate to have him.

I was not a big fan of the comments McCoy made in regard to Chip when he was traded and thought they were off base, but made in the heat of the moment, he's a Eastern PA guy and was living the dream and that was ripped away from him and he found out 2nd hand. Who wouldnt be upset?

This interview I thought was pure McCoy and I agree with him; It is what it is, no love lost. He's emotional, and moving on, but has not forgotten what happened. Could McCoy have handled it a little better, sure.

The trade was not handled well or professionally by Kelly and the Eagles in how it was leaked, and Kelly knows that, Im sure he would do it differently if given a chance, and called McCoy immediately.

As a Buffalo Bill, McCoy has been great on the field and a team guy all the way, on and off the field. I agree the Bills are lucky to have him and he has quickly become a personal favorite of mine.

As far as Herm goes, sounds like he didn't add any context to the interview or take the time to listen to what was actually being said. Certainly comes across ignorant of this in his rant. McCoy's comments had nothing to do with the Bills team nor was he being selfish, or being unprofessional. Herm was frustrated about the lack of professionalism in general around the league and went off inappropriately using McCoy's interview as part of the tipping point in his rant.

Edited by P51

They have production meetings where they choose the topics that will be discussed. Those choices are typically made by the show's producers, not the talent. Producers get their marching orders from the executives, so no he doesn't get to pick what he talks about.

Actually similar to coach/gm relationship. GM picks the players, and coach chooses how to use them. Sounds like Edwards is getting sick of his GM (producer) forcing players (topics) on him that don't match his scheme (desired discussion topics). Think he might even be thinking about it that way, because he said pretty much exactly that right before he really blew up.

Exactly. Nailed it! If you hate your job Herm just quit don't lose your mind on television

McCoy is a terrific player and no one is saying otherwise. No one is even saying that he is a bad guy. There is nothing unusual about having bad feelings after being traded from a team and an area that he didn't want to leave. There is nothing unusual about venting after an unexpected trade that he had no inkling was going to occur. So it is not too difficult to understand how he felt.

But there is a wider context here associated with him being traded by the Eagle HC. McCoy made earlier public comments that Kelly's personnel decisions were influenced by racial considerations. Those volatile comments made McCoy look foolish for the obvious fact that the black players who departed were replaced by black players. Kelly privately tried to reach out to him and discuss the issue with him. McCoy refused to talk to him. So on the one hand McCoy publicly insinuates that Kelly is a racist and when the former HC privately tries to discuss the issue with him and clear the air he refuses to take the call. That's cowardly behavior.

McCoy doesn't have to shake hands with anyone he doesn't want to after a game. That's his prerogative. But when he publicly says prior to the game how he is going to act after it then it shouldn't be surprising that he is going to draw a lot of attention to this issue. Even if a reporter brought up the issue with him he should be smart enough to realize that his comments would receive a lot of attention.

Putting aside the McCoy and Kelly dynamic here what are dealing with here? We are dealing with the cold blooded business of the NFL where players get traded and cut and coaches and staff get fired. It's part of the business that everyone is subjected to. If he has trouble dealing with the cold realities of the business he chose then he needs to adjust his thinking.

In general I agree with the sentiments that Herm Edwards expressively stated. Without a doubt my leanings are toward the old school than the self-indulgent new school approach.

I agree with him. I hate watching sports shows when it's all about so and so said such and such on Twitter. Sports shows have turned into gossip shows. Thus, I watch a lot less.

It's not only sports. Most media has gotten lazy and just reports what's going on Twitter and people's reaction to it.

If I cared what was going on on Twitter I'd look at Twitter.

Give me something I can't get on Twitter.

Edited by reddogblitz

Yeah, but ESPN is the main culprit in trying to stir things up. Look what they did with Rex Ryans' return to New York. It was the biggest story in all of sports for a few days, and Rex, basically, said nothing...but then they analyze what he meant when he said nothing, and start attributing things to the guys that they never said, or indicated. I am sure Edwards doesn't like players talking, who does? McCoy popped off about this stuff over the summer, kept insisting he didn't have anything to say, but they keep asking, and asking him anyways... ESPN has become all about everything but the game...it isn't a new thing either, it has been that way for a few years now...if Herm was so distraught over it, and is so angered by it, why is he still working there. It is the price of 24/7 over analysis of a sport, a recreation, that obviously, does not require that much analysis. If Herm can't stand it, then stop...so many viewers have!

Edited by Buftex

Exactly. Nailed it! If you hate your job Herm just quit don't lose your mind on television

I don't know, if I see something I don't like I will typically say something. If he raised what is a valid concern and something that could lead to espns eventual downfall (manufacturing news, and being basically a gossip, hot take rag) and then was told to go f himself essentially, I fully support what he did.

In some situations quitting is the most appropriate course of action, but other times more subversive means to bring about change, or to start a conversation, are necessary.

What if they told him right before they started filming, 'we don't care what you think, don't forget that espn makes the people, not the other way around, we pay you to read the teleprompter, not to have opinions.'

On top of that they are having massive layoffs and he is probably seeing talented disruptive leaders being let go, while kiss asses and followers keep their jobs.

Edited by HardyBoy

THE guy is a joke ,,,HERM EDWARDS rode GRUDENS coattails in Tampa went to NY where he stunk it up ! , then to KC where he was so bad he got the GM fired in the process!

He was actually a Dungy guy who was a defensive coach there from 1996-2000. He took over the HC for the Jets in 2001, and Gruden came in 2002 when they won the SB.

Well said. Not that NFLN is that much better, but i can't even watch ESPN NFL except for matchup, and Boomer on Sunday morning. The weekday stuff is horrible.

We're in a different era than when Herm was a player. That's what he doesn't get. Social media is rampant and it's nearly impossible for a player to not be quoted with a comment, unless he takes the Marshawn Lynch route and eats fines every week. McCoy could have left it at the fact he hasn't stayed in touch or otherwise communicated with Kelly since leaving. That's it. That's all he had to say. It's none the less irresponsible for the media to take one quote out of the context of the entire discussion and focus on it. That's really what Edwards is doing here in his rant.

This is a pretty solid post. The media is not the nearly the same as back in the day. Herm should understand that extracting one sentence from Q and A, with Bills reporters is already slanted. Then taking out of context was another error. We fans seem to make that mistake too.

Media pokes bear bear swings paw.

Not a very cool way of doing business.

Honey collects bees

Poop collects flies.

and it was Wawrow wasnt it? Whom pushed the agenda?

Or, a player could shut down his social media BS during the season like Hotrod did. You know, concentrate on football. Leave the other BS to the Kim Kardashian and Snoop Dog types.

The looks on the faces of his co-hosts were priceless. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Or, a player could shut down his social media BS during the season like Hotrod did. You know, concentrate on football. Leave the other BS to the Kim Kardashian and Snoop Dog types.

A) they shouldn't have to, do you shut off social media on your free time so you can focus on your job?

B) this is nothing new in our society, shown by the words of Elton John:

Even when you died

Oh the press still hounded you

All the papers had to say

Was that Marilyn was found in the nude

That was how long ago?

C) This is newer to sports though, and I think we can point to Tiger Woods as the tipping point, although the coverage of TO by espn, putting some of their best journalists (funny they used to have a ton of those) on TO watch was a very jarring shift to me at least. That was staged by the agent too, probably with the promise of future exclusive info.

I've cut the cord though so haven't had espn in my life basically for the last four years. Grantland (rip), Dan Le Batard Show (I've been in South Florida for the last 4 years and have been listening quite regularly well before he went to espn), and well written in depth articles that come across my Twitter feed is how I do sports now.

Really sad to see how espn devolved into what it is now. Cold Pizza compared to First Take enough said.

A) they shouldn't have to, do you shut off social media on your free time so you can focus on your job?

Herm and I disagree as to the first part.

As to the second part, yes. Actually I never turn it on because it's a total time suck and I really don't care what famous people are saying anyway.