NJ.com: Chip Kelly has lost team, might not be back

YoloinOhio

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The U. Very interesting.

Bring it on!

The reality of the resources the U will put into the football program is that it pales in comparison to what the football factories like Bama/Texas/FSU can.

So a guy like Chip Kelly is very unlikely to end up at the U.

If he did......you'd know that he just plain wants to win.

The right coaches can string national championships together at the U.....because the HS talent within an hours drive of the U is surreal......but they won't get paid and the U will not build them new facilities or a new stadium.

May seem hard to believe but for coaches winning national championships is second to getting paid.

I think you guys are missing an obvious option for him...Tennessee Titans with his boy, Mariota. Hell he's probably so interested in making the move to coach Mariota that it wouldnt surprise me if he is spreading these rumors that he has lost the team himself. It looks a lot better for him if he gets fired and then goes to Tennessee than if he pulls a Marrone to get there.

This is a really good point

CBF

This is a surprise how? It's always a problem when a leader thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and goes against conventional wisdom of what works. He's reaping the benefits of running out of town McCoy, D. Jackson, and two mediocre drafts.

He's meant for college. He needs to stay where he can be effective. This is why I don't like hiring college coaches. It's a different game. Outside of Jimmy Johnson, how many other guys made the transition well? Spurrier, Saban, etc.

This is a surprise how? It's always a problem when a leader thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and goes against conventional wisdom of what works. He's reaping the benefits of running out of town McCoy, D. Jackson, and two mediocre drafts.

He's meant for college. He needs to stay where he can be effective. This is why I don't like hiring college coaches. It's a different game. Outside of Jimmy Johnson, how many other guys made the transition well? Spurrier, Saban, etc.

Pete Carrol

Well, the second time around

CBF

Harbaugh... Until that blew up

And Marrone, obviously :lol:

Edited by YoloinOhio

What will Peter King write about now? Poor Peter loved Chip so much that he was literally running a weekly "Chip Kelly is the smartest man (other than my other mancrush Billy B.) in the NFL" piece in MMQB calked something like "the Chip Kelly Quote of the Week".....,

I didn't remember he actually interviewed.

I do remember a lot of fans wanted him to be the next Bills coach. But thought the organization was too cheap to present him with a serious offer.

For a while, people wondered who would be the better HC - Kelly or the guy we landed instead, Doug Marrone? Seems funny in retrospect.

my memory of this is that he turned down the interview altogether. right?

His biggest arrogance is that he feels his masterful schemes win the day and not star players.

Yep, he thinks his schemes that work in college will work in the pros.

For someone who obviously thinks he is the smartest guy in the room he could not figure out that the difference from a college defense with 3, 4 or maybe 5 NFL caliber players was vastly inferior to an even bad NFL defense with 11 NFL caliber players and NFL caliber coaches.

I haven't seen a lot of Eagles games but I do check the TOP and his team seems to only average about 20-25 minutes of possession, can't do that in the NFL as his defense will wear down. It's up to him to adjust and he seems either incapable or is just ignorant and won't. So glad he is not in Buffalo.

It is amazing to me how many successful college coaches don't understand that their "genius" is largely INSTITUTIONAL.

I coach college athletics for a living. There are haves and have nots in every sport and every level. In my game, the perennial top NCAA teams are almost all (a) big state universities or (b) ELITE academic schools. If you are not one of those you'll have a hard time placing in the top 10-15 at NCAAs. It can be done, but it's harder. Mine is not either, but we hang in there. There are a few schools that I'd love to have a crack at coaching, because I know the talent in my pool of prospects would increase dramatically.

BUT, there are MANY MANY more where it would decrease (for reasons I won't bother with here), and I'd have very little chance to match the level of success we're accustomed to. So most people would consider my school to be on of the "haves" at my sport and level.

So when we do well, am I good, or just lucky? Well, I'd rather be lucky than good anyway, so I'll just say I'm happy I have a job I love.

Things that vary widely that affect your ceiling as a college program are not only facilities and financial resources, but location, tradition, what majors are on offer and the general academic prestige of the school. Cost is a huge one for the overwhelming majority of NCAA athletes who receive little or no athletic scholarship money.

Obviously the factors that influence the ceiling in big time college football are different than for other sports/levels. My point is that a coach who lands in a spot that already has it's institutional <ahem> ducks in a row, can look like a SUPER GENIUS, when in fact they're just another good coach at a school who's trying harder to win. Coaching matters, obviously, but there are more competent coaches than there are high-potential programs for them all.

Getting the head job at The University Of Nike is 80% of Kelly's genius. The other 20% was his own innovation and creativity, which he deserves credit for, of course.

But for some reason, a lot of successful college coaches (all sports and levels) don't seem to have the self-awareness to realize that their own super genius was not the biggest reason they excelled.

In college football, they get to the NFL where the playing field is MUCH more even and it's a different story. Kelly's moves seem to indicate he thinks he knows something no one else knows...which can only be called arrogant.

Chip Kelly is a very talented coach and if he chooses to stay in the NFL (in a quality organization with a competent QB, of course) he'll do well. But it looks like he needs to eat some humble pie.

One reason I love Rex is that when he makes a mistake, he stands up in front of the worlds and admits it. One thing I've learned being a coach is that you're better off when you're honest with yourself and others about your mistakes.

Kelly is sharp enough that if he can become good at this he can be an excellent NFL coach. Even in Philly.

I do love it when the Eagles suck, though. So I'm in no hurry for the light bulb to go on!

Edited by jester43

It is amazing to me how many successful college coaches don't understand that their "genius" is largely INSTITUTIONAL.

I coach college athletics for a living. There are haves and have nots in every sport and every level. In my game, the perennial top NCAA teams are almost all (a) big state universities or (b) ELITE academic schools. If you are not one of those you'll have a hard time placing in the top 10-15 at NCAAs. It can be done, but it's harder. Mine is not either, but we hang in there. There are a few schools that I'd love to have a crack at coaching, because I know the talent in my pool of prospects would increase dramatically.

BUT, there are MANY MANY more where it would decrease (for reasons I won't bother with here), and I'd have very little chance to match the level of success we're accustomed to. So most people would consider my school to be on of the "haves" at my sport and level.

So when we do well, am I good, or just lucky? Well, I'd rather be lucky than good anyway, so I'll just say I'm happy I have a job I love.

Things that vary widely that affect your ceiling as a college program are not only facilities and financial resources, but location, tradition, what majors are on offer and the general academic prestige of the school. Cost is a huge one for the overwhelming majority of NCAA athletes who receive little or no athletic scholarship money.

Obviously the factors that influence the ceiling in big time college football are different than for other sports/levels. My point is that a coach who lands in a spot that already has it's institutional <ahem> ducks in a row, can look like a SUPER GENIUS, when in fact they're just another good coach at a school who's trying harder to win. Coaching matters, obviously, but there are more competent coaches than there are high-potential programs for them all.

Getting the head job at The University Of Nike is 80% of Kelly's genius. The other 20% was his own innovation and creativity, which he deserves credit for, of course.

But for some reason, a lot of successful college coaches (all sports and levels) don't seem to have the self-awareness to realize that their own super genius was not the biggest reason they excelled.

In college football, they get to the NFL where the playing field is MUCH more even and it's a different story. Kelly's moves seem to indicate he thinks he knows something no one else knows...which can only be called arrogant.

Chip Kelly is a very talented coach and if he chooses to stay in the NFL (in a quality organization with a competent QB, of course) he'll do well. But it looks like he needs to eat some humble pie.

One reason I love Rex is that when he makes a mistake, he stands up in front of the worlds and admits it. One thing I've learned being a coach is that you're better off when you're honest with yourself and others about your mistakes.

Kelly is sharp enough that if he can become good at this he can be an excellent NFL coach. Even in Philly.

I do love it when the Eagles suck, though. So I'm in no hurry for the light bulb to go on!

Great post. Thanks.

Even if they lose out from there I still think chip gets another year. Too much guarantee to fire him, and he'll make the case with the high draft order he can finally build the roster he wants

I think he wants out of Philly about now! Team has quit on him it seems.

Very good and insightful post. I learned somethings too. I dont follow much sports besides Buffalo Bills.

Your description makes sense to me.

Thanks!

Probably the most insightful thing I've read in however many years on this site.

kj

Man, if there was ever immediate confirmation for an anonymous leak about a coach losing a team, today was it! That Eagles team reminded me of the Dolphins team we faced early in the season. Defenders out there jogging, watching guys run by, not even caring. They are done. Hopefully it stays that way for a few more weeks so we get a chance to cash in.

As far as his next job, I think USC is the best and most obvious landing spot. Coaches typically like to stay in-conference. Miami, Texas, and LSU dont seem like good fits for his style. Maybe Miami, but I dont see him in that area or that program affording him. LSU, they are hungry for an offensive coach that can develop a QB, but he wont want to play SEC defenses all the tim. He'll go back to the Pac-12 and the West Coast where he still has a lot of recruiting leads. IMO.

Thanks for posting. It's always nice to hear from someone with experience and insight.