Rex press conference - Roman

RalphOP83

The problem with Rex is he's a defensive coordinator, not a head man. A head man has a full grasp of all phases of the game and Rex hands everything over to the offensive coordinator and lets him run the show....completely. I really don't think Rex offers much input on the offense, so if there are any complaints here I think it ultimately falls on him.

The problem with Rex is he's a defensive coordinator, not a head man. A head man has a full grasp of all phases of the game and Rex hands everything over to the offensive coordinator and lets him run the show....completely. I really don't think Rex offers much input on the offense, so if there are any complaints here I think it ultimately falls on him.

Not true. A great leader is also a great delegator. He is in control on the decision to punt and explained that if we didn't run backwards on third down that we would have called the offense back out. Not sure what you want him involved in offensively. Trust your coaches to coach.

There are so many variables to that and so many things we don't know that I don't think you can say that with any certainty. We don't know how much Rex tells Roman to do. We don't know whether on critical 3rd and short or fourth and short that Rex or Roman makes that call. A lot of defensive HCs defer and just as many make the calls themselves. I think Rex is very involved in the offense but for the most part lets Roman run it. One thing, however, that is all on Rex to me is the way the Bills waste so much time getting plays in late in the game. If Rex the HC sees we are wasting too much time, which we clearly are, it's incumbent upon him to force the issue and either make Roman get them in quicker or insist on TT allowed to call his own plays. It's clearly a problem.

There are so many variables to that and so many things we don't know that I don't think you can say that with any certainty. We don't know how much Rex tells Roman to do. We don't know whether on critical 3rd and short or fourth and short that Rex or Roman makes that call. A lot of defensive HCs defer and just as many make the calls themselves. I think Rex is very involved in the offense but for the most part lets Roman run it. One thing, however, that is all on Rex to me is the way the Bills waste so much time getting plays in late in the game. If Rex the HC sees we are wasting too much time, which we clearly are, it's incumbent upon him to force the issue and either make Roman get them in quicker or insist on TT allowed to call his own plays. It's clearly a problem.

In listening to the presser he does sound frustrated with the time it takes to get plays in offensively. Sort of to what the OP is saying, I could sense a little frustration. Nothing major, but his D stepped up and the O did not.

Adding the double RB package was a cute wrinkle, but we needed to challenge the pats*** more over the middle when they stack the box. I truly hope we don't die by the run this season.

Yeah hopefully they can hire a GOOD offensive coordinator. Idk what Greg Bloman is doing, but he's literally blowing the game with his stupid calls.

3rd and 3, lets run Tyrod to in the gun formation straight up the middle -.-

3rd and 1 on opening drive he decided to not run up the middle.

there was a 3rd and 6 on the NE side, and he goes for the big play instead of calling a play to get the first down. The play ultimately ended up in McCoys dropped TD pass

Oh and the numerous runs he designed to go on the outside were ridiculous. I don't understand his logic behind calling the same plays over and over, such as the run sweep to the left...

Blasphemy.

Our passimg plays look prehistoric to me. In a league and era that favors the passing game we don't utilize it to our advantage. Do we run quick slants with clay or Watkins much? Do we try screens to Watkins r even try to get him, our best playmaker the ball? Do we try yo hit Clay with quick timing routes in the middle? We run a boring ground and pound game made for the 60s. Need sme passing game creativity and to he Our playmakers involved.

People, the Pats had to cover 10 yards to finish the game off and they ran the ball three times having Tom !@#$ing Brady on their squad.

Sometimes OCs call bad plays, it happens and everything gets magnified when you don't have a great QB under center.

I better hope Ryan isn't mad at Roman or makes him the scapegoat, he had some bad plays but today the players failed to step up to the plate and make the plays to win the game.

People, the Pats had to cover 10 yards to finish the game off and they ran the ball three times having Tom !@#$ing Brady on their squad.

Sometimes OCs call bad plays, it happens and everything gets magnified when you don't have a great QB under center.

I better hope Ryan isn't mad at Roman or makes him the scapegoat, he had some bad plays but today the players failed to step up to the plate and make the plays to win the game.

agreed. Roman is working with what he has. I don't agree with every call but I also don't watch 100 hours of film on the opponent. Sometimes the execution matters more. And if the execution was there, he would be a genius this morning.

As far as the time getting in play calls - I thought that was a headset issue. Again. This I don't understand.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I cant understand the lack of effort in getting Watkins the ball. WR screens/short crossing routes....etc. It takes an effort but who would we rather have the ball in their hands than #14. Give me any other team with a #1 WR they find ways to get the ball to them, Geez Amendola had 9 catches before Watkins had 1 Antonio Brown had 17catches in 1 game--I am sure the defense was covering him--its all about the effort to get the ball to him

sorry just frustrated..........

why did we sign Charles Clay??

Tired of Mario getting hurt/sick............he I here to get us over the "hump" against division foes.

That makes no sense...McCoy was open and dropped a TD pass.

It makes a lot of sense, it's a low percentage play; boom or bust and we busted. I much prefer those type of chances on first or second down when you have time to recover and get a first down, just a personal preference.

The ball, like many last night, was not thrown well. Too much air under it, too much time in the air.

Our passimg plays look prehistoric to me. In a league and era that favors the passing game we don't utilize it to our advantage. Do we run quick slants with clay or Watkins much? Do we try screens to Watkins r even try to get him, our best playmaker the ball? Do we try yo hit Clay with quick timing routes in the middle? We run a boring ground and pound game made for the 60s. Need sme passing game creativity and to he Our playmakers involved.

I think that is a bit harsh on the run game. Roman's run game is creative and multi-faceted.... everything his passing game is not.

Lets hope Roman gets a job in the offseason. For as good as he is with the run game, our pass game is balls.

I disagree. I want consistency. Build on this year, don't keep changing. Find the things that went wrong and fix them. That includes game plans, play call, play execution, player selection (starters/backups) etc.

I think Roman has made some bad play calls, but nothing terrible. I would prefer to stick with him.

I disagree. I want consistency. Build on this year, don't keep changing. Find the things that went wrong and fix them. That includes game plans, play call, play execution, player selection (starters/backups) etc.

I think Roman has made some bad play calls, but nothing terrible. I would prefer to stick with him.

Something isn't working though. He's not utilizing Watkins. I can't even understand the excuses anymore. Every other team seems to have no problem getting their star WR the ball.

We have consistency.

There were two third and short plays which were terrible calls.

First was when everyone knew Taylor was going to keep it and Woods was left to block Chandler Jones.

Second was at midfield and everyone knew that they were going to hand off when instead two QB sneaks (if necessary) would have done the job.

Edited by snafu

There were two third and short plays which were terrible calls.

First was when everyone knew Taylor was going to keep it and Woods was left to block Chandler.

Second was at midfield and everyone knew that they were going to hand off when instead two QB sneaks (if necessary) would have done the job.

My biggest complaint is that Roman seems baffled by 3rd and 5 and shorter. Constantly over thinks the situation. Constantly does a designed run to Taylor. The worst was probably the last three calls in the London game.

You can't have it both ways. A play call like that when the Pats think you are going to run is what you want. It was a perfect call foiled by a perfect strip by the DB.

What do the Bills do most often on first down? I'd venture to guess that they also do it most often on second down too. It was a crappy throw and IMO not a play you try at that down & distance. That's just me though.

Something isn't working though. He's not utilizing Watkins. I can't even understand the excuses anymore. Every other team seems to have no problem getting their star WR the ball.

Yep. I live in and watch a lot of Arizona. They are always finding ways to get it to Fitz (they ran a bubble screen with him!) I get that this is a running offense, but McCoy doesn't need to be the center piece. They're wasting the talents of the younger guy.

There's no reason why Watkins shouldn't have 10-12 targets a game. They need to get more creative with him.

What do the Bills do most often on first down? I'd venture to guess that they also do it most often on second down too. It was a crappy throw and IMO not a play you try at that down & distance. That's just me though.

If the play isn't successful, fans are going to complain. That's what this is. Roman called a TD play. Once that call gets to Tyrod, Roman has no more control. The players have to execute.

Funny....because this is exactly what people said Rex needed to learn to do in order to be a successfull HC

If the play isn't successful, fans are going to complain. That's what this is. Roman called a TD play. Once that call gets to Tyrod, Roman has no more control. The players have to execute.

I always rail against that type of play on a third down, you're just going to have to believe me on this. Not saying I'm right or wrong...I hate drive killing plays and low percentage plays are more likely to kill a drive than your run of the mill get the first down play (on third down).

I always rail against that type of play on a third down, you're just going to have to believe me on this. Not saying I'm right or wrong...I hate drive killing plays and low percentage plays are more likely to kill a drive than your run of the mill get the first down play (on third down).

Exactly. It was a low percentage play. That's what 2nd down is for.

I agree. I think the argument that "well if it worked he's a genius" is kind of dumb. If McCoy held onto the ball, it doesn't become a great call, it just prevents criticism. I'd love to see that call on a 1st or 2nd down but on 3rd-and-manageable you want to see a higher percentage throw. Generally, McCoy has great hands and I like seeing him get a deep target. But situationally that is a questionable call.

I know I'm just a fan but I've watched every game this season of Roman's offense and I don't understand it from one game to the next.

As I stated in another thread, we deliberately will not throw to Clay or Watkins. We ignored Robert Woods for the entire season until last night.

Why do we have a fullback yet run out of shotgun sets a lot?

Why won't you throw to your best players EVERY game?

We have one great pass catching TE in Clay and a good one in Gragg yet we won't throw to them.

To me, it's bizarre. It feels like a coordinator trying to out think the room just like Hackett did.

I know I'm just a fan but I've watched every game this season of Roman's offense and I don't understand it from one game to the next.

As I stated in another thread, we deliberately will not throw to Clay or Watkins. We ignored Robert Woods for the entire season until last night.

Why do we have a fullback yet run out of shotgun sets a lot?

Why won't you throw to your best players EVERY game?

We have one great pass catching TE in Clay and a good one in Gragg yet we won't throw to them.

To me, it's bizarre. It feels like a coordinator trying to out think the room just like Hackett did.

It is very strange. There are some OCs that I think buy into their own press. They get called a genius once and then just start over complicating things so that they can be the reason for the success.