Does anyone else automatically skip BN Sully articles?

Bocephuz

Often times I see a BN headline and click on it.. and when I see the author is Jerry Sullivan I automatically close it out .. skip it.. and don't even bother to read it.

Anyone else?

I always skip him. I usually can tell the article is written by him just from the headline. For instance, I will bet you a dollar that the piece today titled, "Taylor still has much to prove..." is by Sully.

Edited by Dr. K

I always skip him. I usually can tell the article is written by him just from the headline. For instance, I will bet you a dollar that the piece today titled, "Taylor still has much to prove..." is by Sully.

Great point.. I read that headline.. thought to myself " This looks like a dumb Sully opinion article that will have very little fact based analysis to back it up" but I stupidly clicked on it anyway.. and sure enough it said " by Jerry Sullivan". I hate when I take the bait like that.. need to up my game.

Often times I see a BN headline and click on it.. and when I see the author is Jerry Sullivan I automatically close it out .. skip it.. and don't even bother to read it.

Anyone else?

I am pretty sure you wrote this after seeing the title and synopsis of his article on TT. I dont automatically take a pass on his articles, I do read it just to see what he has to say. Most of the times he is wrong. There is little to argue about on his Taylor article today. For all the good that Taylor has done, he appears to be a player of halves. too often, brilliant halves are masked by atrocious ones. I am not ready to buy into him as a long term answer. Just the best we have right now.

Great point.. I read that headline.. thought to myself " This looks like a dumb Sully opinion article that will have very little fact based analysis to back it up" but I stupidly clicked on it anyway.. and sure enough it said " by Jerry Sullivan". I hate when I take the bait like that.. need to up my game.

Is that because it conflicts with your opinion of TT ?

I am pretty sure you wrote this after seeing the title and synopsis of his article on TT. I dont automatically take a pass on his articles, I do read it just to see what he has to say. Most of the times he is wrong. There is little to argue about on his Taylor article today. For all the good that Taylor has done, he appears to be a player of halves. too often, brilliant halves are masked by atrocious ones. I am not ready to buy into him as a long term answer. Just the best we have right now.

Is that because it conflicts with your opinion of TT ?

Has nothing to do with today's article or TT.. his article could be about any player or subject and I would skip it.

For example.. he wrote an article last year like week 6 or something.. saying the Bills should "absolutely" sign Kyle Orton to an extension. 3 or 4 weeks later after the Chiefs game he completely contradicted himself writing an article saying Orton was not the answer. He has zero credibility with me

Edited by Bocephuz

Has nothing to do with today's article or TT.. his article could be about any player or subject and I would skip it.

For example.. he wrote an article last year like week 6 or something.. saying the Bills should "absolutely" sign Kyle Orton to an extension. 3 or 4 weeks later after the Chiefs game he completely contradicted himself writing an article saying Orton was not the answer. He has zero credibility with me

Sure. But the timing of your post is certainly curious. Also, if you clicked on his article today, did you read it ? What specifically do you disagree with ? I too have seen each and every game this season. Stats are totaly in his favor, but somehow I am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling of consistency with TT. I am willing to attribute it to not having enough experience. But that is exactly the spirit of his article today - its too early to tell if he is 'the one'.

Sure. But the timing of your post is certainly curious. Also, if you clicked on his article today, did you read it ? What specifically do you disagree with ? I too have seen each and every game this season. Stats are totaly in his favor, but somehow I am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling of consistency with TT. I am willing to attribute it to not having enough experience. But that is exactly the spirit of his article today - its too early to tell if he is 'the one'.

He's lost credibility with me so I don't read his articles. That is the whole point of my post. Maybe he made some good points about TT.. maybe he didn't... doesn't matter to me. I've read enough of his articles over the years to form an opinion that he typically writes uninformed, knee jerk opinion pieces containing absolute statements.. and then typically 2 or 3 weeks later he will write something that completely conflicts what he said a few weeks before.. and typically he doesn't even acknowledge his previous opinion.

I was simply asking a question to others if he has lost credibility with them.

All fair points and I apologize if I jumped to conclusions regarding your intentions. But I had detected a favorable bias in your posts re: TT and thought that his article today annoyed you cos it did not fit your analysis.

Peace out.

PS - eball show some respect please, and get rid of that damned abomination! :lol:

I second that wholeheartedly. How do you un-watch something so hideous ?

He's lost credibility with me so I don't read his articles. That is the whole point of my post. Maybe he made some good points about TT.. maybe he didn't... doesn't matter to me. I've read enough of his articles over the years to form an opinion that he typically writes uninformed, knee jerk opinion pieces containing absolute statements.. and then typically 2 or 3 weeks later he will write something that completely conflicts what he said a few weeks before.. and typically he doesn't even acknowledge his previous opinion.

Exactly. It's not that he isn't right about one thing or another now and then. It's his consistent pissy attitude and knee jerk trolling. Life is too short.

Edited by Dr. K

That is why I love the front page of TBD, just by the two or 3 sentences there you can tell who wrote the article.

Gleason, Sullivan and Harrington I believe the Pegulas have shut them out of both organizations. I believe that stems from them trying to make a fool of the Pegulas after that meeting at the News right after the Sabres purchase. I believe it slants their opinion so dramatically that the opinions they offer do not merit consideration.

Now this Tyler Dunne dude, he is the real deal. Seems to have great access, players seem to open up to him, and seems like he works his ass off. That Gilbride article today another great example of that.

As I have told the news, I cancelled my digital subscription after the " loser" Bucky column in the spring and now just access for free like everyone else. Am I sure there are some kind of guild rules that those 3 jokers can't be sent packing , but when even one of them is gone, I will gladly pay my fair share again.

Esmonde BTW, is another guy I will not read

I pretty much stopped reading BN coverage of everything. Not just Bills but Sabres and UB as well. Their trademark brand of snark isn't just for the pro teams in town. Bucky's latest column s##t all over UB AD Danny White (who just took the AD job at Central Florida.) Bucky also wants UB to stop trying to be big time in Athletics and just be like Canisius or Niagara because that's all we can hope to achieve. As you can imagine the fans at UBfan.com and UBbullrun.com are tearing into Bucky, and one guy wrote a terrific rebuttal to his load of manure.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2015/11/19/9760476/the-buffalo-news-clown-car-tries-to-run-down-white-one-last-time

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I always skip him. I usually can tell the article is written by him just from the headline.

Likewise. I try not to even click - hoping that over time enough people will stop reading him that the BN will fire him and hire someone who actually has something intelligent to say and is not just running on autopilot.

On the other hand, I try to click every Tyler Dunne article. It is refreshing to see a reporter actually reporting - doing the legwork, calling non-obvious people for comments, etc. rather than just spewing back press conference material and hot takes.

I guarantee much of the wariness of TT comes not from his play but his pedigree. If Taylor were our #1 draft pick people would be creaming their jeans over the year he's having. Edited by PromoTheRobot

As I have told the news, I cancelled my digital subscription after the " loser" Bucky column in the spring and now just access for free like everyone else. Am I sure there are some kind of guild rules that those 3 jokers can't be sent packing , but when even one of them is gone, I will gladly pay my fair share again.

I am nearly at that point myself. Shame, because I do want to support the business.

I read it all. Reading an opinion that differs from mine doesn't piss me off. Not sure why people avoid things they don't like. Even people I tend to disagree with can have a point of view I might not have considered.

And fwiw, there was nothing wrong with his article today other than his pov was a pretty obvious one.

I will read them and agree with MDH that it's good to read articles that don't agree with your perspective. Sully turns out to be right often enough because the Bills have been so bad but like another poster said above there is a difference between being negative and critical. People should understand however that Tyler Dunne and Sully have two completely different jobs and the way they write and research their articles is not the same. I agree that Sully is often lazy however.

I will read them and agree with MDH that it's good to read articles that don't agree with your perspective. Sully turns out to be right often enough because the Bills have been so bad but like another poster said above there is a difference between being negative and critical. People should understand however that Tyler Dunne and Sully have two completely different jobs and the way they write and research their articles is not the same. I agree that Sully is often lazy however.

It's not that I disagree with Sully, it's that I never learn one flipping thing from him. He never has a fresh idea or an interesting, non-obvious take, at least in my eyes. And yes, Dunne is a reporter and Sully is a columnist, but a columnist can still do some legwork, whether it's talking to different people to develop his take or looking at interesting data that can suggest a new perspective. Does he ever do this?

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

It's not that I disagree with Sully, it's that I never learn one flipping thing from him. He never has a fresh idea or an interesting, non-obvious take, at least in my eyes. And yes, Dunne is a reporter and Sully is a columnist, but a columnist can still do some legwork, whether it's talking to different people to develop his take or looking at interesting data that can suggest a new perspective. Does he ever do this?

No, which is why I called him lazy. But his job is to get people talking and reading and he's good at it. I bet his bosses love him even when 90% of his readership seems to hate him.

No, which is why I called him lazy. But his job is to get people talking and reading and he's good at it. I bet his bosses love him even when 90% of his readership seems to hate him.

Howard Stern has always said my fans listen to me on average for 1 hour and 20 minutes and my haters listen on average 2 hours and 30 minutes a day.

Every. Single. Time.

Anyone else?