Cam Newton tears down packers sign fan files police report

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D bag move. What's next - throws mud at fans wearing other team's colors? He's a simpleton.

Sort of like Bills fans throwing batteries at Brian Cox?

Not the same. Bills fans were douches and simpletons.

This is a what a leader of a team does.

no he's not a thug. one of the best QB in the NFL

The panthers shouldn't have let the sign in the building. Like cam said you don't see that stuff at lambeau

He's definitely not a thug. He's one of the Best QBs in the league.

This is freaking awesome I love Cam Newton

protecting his house and his team he tried to

have Cam Arrested

video link with story http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000576181/article/fan-upset-cam-newton-tore-packers-sign-down?campaign=Ext_Email_NL_REG_9_20151109_BUF&cvosrc=Ext_Email.Epsilon.NL_REG_9_20151109_BUF

picture of the sign

Great player.....love watching him play.......wish we'd have gotten him.......but he is just one of those people that has a knack for being inappropriate.

Everybody would like their superstar player to be smart, thoughtful etc.. but sometimes you get Cam or A-Rod or Bruce Smith and have to deal with their lack of certain social skills.

Bills fans threw batteries at Bryan Cox? Really? I don't remember this happening.

WRT Cam ripping down the sign, I am completely okay with it. The jackass should have known better than to hang that giant sign. He had to expect SOME reaction.

This is much adou about nothing. You can make the point he over stepped his bounds, and you can also make the point he is a leader on his team and in his house.

Cam, just keep winning. Everything else works itself out. You did your best in the press conference to stand behind your decision, but also not defame the Packers fans.

Personally, I could care less.

What a stupid move by Newton. No need to have done this other then to be cute. Its what a teenager would not a professional. That this was tolerated makes me hold disgust for the way the populus believes.

Newton had no business in the stands. His business is on the field.

He wasn't in the stands. He was on the field. Populous not populus. He could have directed security to remove it, but hey, I kind of like the gesture.

Don't tell me you'd hate on Kyle Williams or Cordy Glenn (or McCoy for that matter) doing similar to a Pats*** fan's field level gimondulous sign.

A team leader takes a stand against a Packers Backers club in N Carolina? Ooh, such fierceness, such fire.

Leadership, my ass.

GO BILLS!!!

He wasn't in the stands. He was on the field. Populous not populus. He could have directed security to remove it, but hey, I kind of like the gesture.

Don't tell me you'd hate on Kyle Williams or Cordy Glenn (or McCoy for that matter) doing similar to a Pats*** fan's field level gimondulous sign.

Yep. Any Bills player who did the same would be just as much of a douche. Fans have a right to cheer their team and bring signage in that pursuit, just so long as the signage adheres to stadium policy. It's my understanding that since the sign wasn't attached, but rather being held by the fans, they were in compliance. If that's wrong, my mistake.

Still no excuse for a player being a douche nozzle to visiting fans.

GO BILLS!!!

Dob's beef is all for naught, anyway. Panthers stadium policy is that "No banners or flags expressing support of visiting teams may be affixed to or displayed on any surface," per the team's official site.

Except it is not exactly correct:

Panthers to replace Packer fan's banner that Newton took

Panthers executive director of stadium operations Scott Paul said Monday night on the team's website the team will review its current policy on banners and flags. Paul said the banner was in compliance with stadium regulations even though the team policy is that no banners or flags expressing support of visiting teams may be affixed to or displayed on surface.

it looks like the fan is also trying to get tickets ($3700) also paid for because fan did homework ahead of time:

''I was shocked because that was the one thing that I wanted to prevent by following all of the policies, all the procedures,'' Dobs told ABC 11 in Fayetteville. ''Going through everything that you asked me to do, and then you steal my property.''

I agree it should not be allowed and while there are ways around (T-Shirts with letters on them as example the opposing fan could make trouble for Cam although only for the banner not the tickets. Maybe Carolinia will also look at who sold tickets and determine if they were sold illegally.

Yep. Any Bills player who did the same would be just as much of a douche. Fans have a right to cheer their team and bring signage in that pursuit, just so long as the signage adheres to stadium policy. It's my understanding that since the sign wasn't attached, but rather being held by the fans, they were in compliance. If that's wrong, my mistake.

Still no excuse for a player being a douche nozzle to visiting fans.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. But I've never been as into the "this is our house, don't bring that into enemy territory" schtick as some fans. I'm also not that into "our guys do no wrong."

It's not a huge deal or anything but it's kind of immature act and distraction which is, if I were a panther fan, something I'd probably be hoping that cam would be grown out of.

Douchebag hangs a Pats**** Country sign at the Ralph? I hope any member of the Bills team rips it down and pisses on it. Wear your jersey and hat, cheer and shout, but respect the home turf.

Or what?

Some big, bad home team player is gonna rip my signage to shreds? Some insulted fan is gonna take matters into his own hands?

IT'S A PHUCKIN' FOOTBALL GAME FOR CRISSAKES!!!

Not some tribal turf war that fans think they are part and parcel to. What a sad commentary.

GO BILLS!!!

Douchebag hangs a Pats**** Country sign at the Ralph? I hope any member of the Bills team rips it down and pisses on it. Wear your jersey and hat, cheer and shout, but respect the home turf.

I'm all for guys wearing whatever they want. Couldn't care less about signs. Normal cheering is whatever- enjoy the game you are attending. If they are really getting after the home team fans around me that bugs me. But it likewise bugs me when the home fans go hard after a visitor

Respect the turf? Meh.

Edited by NoSaint

I like that the sign was torn down, and like that it was Newton that took care of it even more. It's a great dramatic gesture, and that's all it was to me. And they won the game! I'm not worried about "immaturity", or whether he was being a douche to the opposing fans, it was a cool way to rile up the fans, and victimless. They won the game, Newton is playing excellent and they are 8-0. Looks like he knows what he is doing...

Newton is loopy, but he hasn't been busted for PED's, cheating, racing cars, drugs, or beating up women. There is nothing to get upset about here.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Banner replaced, but not by Panthers....yet.

On Wednesday, Dobs saw the replacement banner for the first time at a UPS store in Fayetteville. Fellow veteran Steve Milburn had the banner made for Dobs after hearing what happened in Charlotte.

The banner is now on its way to Dobs' family in Wisconsin. The plan is to have the banner signed by members of the Packers. Then, it will come back to North Carolina, where it will find a permanent spot in Dobs' "man cave."

Or what?

Some big, bad home team player is gonna rip my signage to shreds? Some insulted fan is gonna take matters into his own hands?

IT'S A PHUCKIN' FOOTBALL GAME FOR CRISSAKES!!!

Not some tribal turf war that fans think they are part and parcel to. What a sad commentary.

GO BILLS!!!

:beer:

Those tweets are pretty funny.

Never knew peer pressure had such a big influence on @CameronNewton sorry for telling you to take the sign down! #PantherCountry

Derek Anderson@DAnderson314 Nov 9

Sorry bud for telling you to rip that banner down yesterday! Didn't realize people would have a problem! @CameronNewton

Roman Harper@Harp41 Nov 9

Keeping it 1f4af.png it may have been my fault @CameronNewton took that dudes sign I came in the locker room telling everyone how mad I was about it

Guess I shouldn't have told @CameronNewton I felt like ripping the banner down when I came out for warm ups! It was ugly tho

My fault guys I told @CameronNewton 2 take the sign down... Long time rival 4 me! #nopackno #KeepPounding #myfaultman

a few things that no one has pointed out:

1) it was veterans appreciation day and the fan in question was a vet.

2) the fan in question got prior approval from BOA stadium personnel before he hung it:

“I followed all the rules. I got pre-approval to have that banner, and look what it got me. We were shocked. When Cam ran up, we thought he was going to talk to us, or even sign our banner. But instead he ripped it out of our hands and almost took my son-in-law’s finger with it."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article43718883.html

a few things that no one has pointed out:

1) it was veterans appreciation day and the fan in question was a vet.

2) the fan in question got prior approval from BOA stadium personnel before he hung it:

“I followed all the rules. I got pre-approval to have that banner, and look what it got me. We were shocked. When Cam ran up, we thought he was going to talk to us, or even sign our banner. But instead he ripped it out of our hands and almost took my son-in-law’s finger with it."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article43718883.html

In post #58 I pointed it out that he already went thru vetting of his sign.

Being a veteran is not reason why to break rules but it appears not applicable.

makes me like Cam even more. Awesome move. Cam: enforcing stadium policy when no one else will. League and stadium MVP!

^I'm with this guy.

I like that the sign was torn down, and like that it was Newton that took care of it even more. It's a great dramatic gesture, and that's all it was to me. And they won the game! I'm not worried about "immaturity", or whether he was being a douche to the opposing fans, it was a cool way to rile up the fans, and victimless. They won the game, Newton is playing excellent and they are 8-0. Looks like he knows what he is doing...

Newton is loopy, but he hasn't been busted for PED's, cheating, racing cars, drugs, or beating up women. There is nothing to get upset about here.

^this guy can come along this time. :-x

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

Cam should (will) deal with this. "I am sorry that i hurt your son in - laws finger, and I will compensate you commensurately for his pain and any medical costs, and for your embarrassment. Next time respect the house, Please."

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

Cam should (will) deal with this. "I am sorry that i hurt your son in - laws finger, and I will compensate you commensurately for his pain and any medical costs, and for your embarrassment. Next time respect the house, Please."

Oh for phuck sake. Nobody was disrespecting anyone's "house." Fans of opposing away teams have every bit as much right to show support for their teams as any of the home fans. The sign didn't violate stadium policy, the man had permission to display it and some knuckle dragging idiots with a misguided notion of sportsmanship objected. Pitiful.

See if you can wrap your brain around this concept: the Packer fan wasn't showing disrespect for the Panthers; he was showing respect for the Packers. See the difference?

GO BILLS!!!

This is turning into a bit of a silly story.

BOA should compensate this guy. They stupidly gave him prior approval.

Why was it stupid? Because a fan shouldn't show support for the away team? Sorry, but what's stupid is anyone even remotely suggesting a fan doesn't have the right to show support for his favorite team and that players are free to rip banners and signs out of the hands of any fan of the opposing team.

It's a sad commentary that anyone can find fault with a guy who just wanted to attend a game and show support for his team in a way that didn't infringe upon anybody else's enjoyment.

GO BILLS!!!

Why was it stupid? Because a fan shouldn't show support for the away team? Sorry, but what's stupid is anyone even remotely suggesting a fan doesn't have the right to show support for his favorite team and that players are free to rip banners and signs out of the hands of any fan of the opposing team.

It's a sad commentary that anyone can find fault with a guy who just wanted to attend a game and show support for his team in a way that didn't infringe upon anybody else's enjoyment.

GO BILLS!!!

But what if people saw the sign on tv?!? Can you imagine the shame it would bring to the entire region knowing opposing fans could attend a game in Charlotte without fear of what could happen to them?!?!

But what if people saw the sign on tv?!? Can you imagine the shame it would bring to the entire region knowing opposing fans could attend a game in Charlotte without fear of what could happen to them?!?!

#protectthehouse!

#it'saphuckingfootballgamesogrowthephuckup

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

I think everyone agrees home field advantage is a real thing. An opposing teams banner in the end zone of your own stadium takes away from that advantage far more than just cheering for your team in the stadium. They shouldn't have allowed it for competitive reasons.

Did he have a approval? Sure. Should Cam have torn it down? No. We are mixing emotional and rational thought in this thread though.

But the argument that the sign did nothing, and that who cares it's just a game is asinine. They are competing for a reason.

I think everyone agrees home field advantage is a real thing. An opposing teams banner in the end zone of your own stadium takes away from that advantage far more than just cheering for your team in the stadium. They shouldn't have allowed it for competitive reasons.

Did he have a approval? Sure. Should Cam have torn it down? No. We are mixing emotional and rational thought in this thread though.

But the argument that the sign did nothing, and that who cares it's just a game is asinine. They are competing for a reason.

Oh lord. You really think leaving the banner would sway anything at all on the field?

:huh:

A sign affects the game?

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall