A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

1) Very, very impressed by Karlos Williams today. He bounced off of the line a couple of times and just wouldn't quit. I'm not the biggest fan of Whaley but keeping Karlos over Fred while sad, was clearly the right move.

2) Speaking of moves, did any of you catch the one by Watkins approx. 2 minutes into the 4th quarter? The play went for for 15 yards and Grimes was absolutely helpless.

3) The penalties are still quite disturbing. There were no less than 13 today. One would think that when you are penalized 13 times you would lose. But 260 yards or so on the ground still wins games for an NFL team, or so it looks.

4) Bradham and Brown had decent numbers today, but I didn't think either of them played well. Too many missed tackles.

5) Standing on a tower,

World at my command.

You just keep a turning while I'm,

playing in the band.

If a man among you,

Got no sin upon his hand.

Let him cast a stone at me for,

playing in the band.

Playing,

Playing in the band.

Daybreak,

Daybreak on the land.

6) Gilmore made a fine play on the last play of the first half when he defended the pass. Ryan was pumping his fist. It was good. Other than that I was less than impressed. He gave up too many passes and was penalized. He was also taken out of the play on a few runs. Shut-down? I don't think so. At least not today.

7) Good things happened when Rex let them blitz. Sorry folks, I just can't stand this sissy Jauron style defense.

8) Hey Miller, welcome to the NFL! The next DT he faces will look like Cinderella, no matter who it is. Suh is a freaking monster, and is clearly disturbed mentally.

9) Big Time kudos to Mr. Taylor. You know, he didn't need so much air under his deep passes to Sammy. The kid has a nice arm. And he ran just enough to take pressure away from his weapons.

10) Sammy too was fantastic today! I just love the way he gets open.

11) I laugh when they say our defense "bullies" other teams. We do not, at least not on defense. Our DL runs away from the LOS and the entire defense commits stupid penalties.

12) On the first drive, both Sammy and McCoy threw nice blocks.

13) Sorry people for being so critical of the defense after a win. :( They were causing me a great deal of nervous frustration. Rex needs to get his act straightened out imo.

14) Time now to beat the jets!!!

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7) Good things happened when Rex let them blitz. Sorry folks, I just can't stand this sissy Jauron style defense.

Bill you know that you and I have discussed defensive stylistic differences before. You are a blitz and send some more kind of guy I am a rush your 4 more often than not and be disciplined behind it. But Rex has always been a blitzing play caller - that is what he is renowned for. Week 1 against the Colts it is basically all we did. Something happened against the Patriots that has spooked him and he has gotten away from who he is.

The Rex scheme with blitzing might not be a perfect fit for this personnel but it works. Rex Ryan's scheme without blitzing is a mess there are just too many place for the Quarterback to go with the ball and not enough pressure because his front 4 plays in tighter.

I am good with Rex Ryan blitzing more. It is not my stylistic preference but I don't think his scheme holds up without it.

Question: what was wrong with Dareus today?

Dareus is (seems to be) being asked to stuff up two gaps and take on two blockers like a NT in 3-4. Which is not what his talent is based on. Waste of 100$ mil if it stays that way moving forward, he's just not big enough.

Different secondary with McKelvin in there. With Aaron Williams out, they need him to be the positive factor they were looking for that unit to be.

Left side of the line was opening up a lot of nice run lanes.

Nice to see them get Hughes going again, especially the well timed blitz up the middle.

One negative that needs to be corrected: where is Charles Clay? Will be hard for this time to attack Jets secondary, and they will need Clay to be a factor in the all important Thursday matchup

Edited by JTSP

Dareus is (seems to be) being asked to stuff up two gaps and take on two blockers like a NT in 3-4. Which is not what his talent is based on. Waste of 100$ mil if it stays that way moving forward, he's just not big enough.

Well and considering it doesn't really help our linebackers it's especially stupid.

And speaking of our linebackers - Manny Lawson is shot. His play has fallen off of a cliff. He just can't run anymore. This team needs 2 good new young LBs.

Good point... Where was Dareus? Was he on the field? Seriously.

Regarding point 9... I like Taylor. He did plenty good and he needs to be our starter. I'm not questioning that... But. But, he really needs to look downfield more. Too much of the offense is played within 10yds of the line. It seems he's either throwing short or long bombs, with very little in between. I'd like to see more mid range passes in that 20 yd type range. I think that would loosen the defenses up even more.

Our Defense still needs work. Plain and simple. They looked confused on most every snap. I don't know what they're doing, but they definitely need more time to figure it all out.

With those 2 caveats, this was a pretty darn good, complete win. We needed it and we got it! We're still in the hunt... Now lets take down the Jets!

And speaking of our linebackers - Manny Lawson is shot. His play has fallen off of a cliff. He just can't run anymore.

Agree.

Good point... Where was Dareus? Was he on the field? Seriously.

Regarding point 9... I like Taylor. He did plenty good and he needs to be our starter. I'm not questioning that... But. But, he really needs to look downfield more. Too much of the offense is played within 10yds of the line. It seems he's either throwing short or long bombs, with very little in between. I'd like to see more mid range passes in that 20 yd type range. I think that would loosen the defenses up even more.

Our Defense still needs work. Plain and simple. They looked confused on most every snap. I don't know what they're doing, but they definitely need more time to figure it all out.

With those 2 caveats, this was a pretty darn good, complete win. We needed it and we got it! We're still in the hunt... Now lets take down the Jets!

Excellent post. I have always said it is the 10-20 yard throws accurately, consistently and in big moments that separate the top 10 QBs from the rest of the league.

this team, the one we've been seeing week in and week out... i am so done with this team right now. they're wins are uninspiring and they really have no heart. it's great that guys like watkins and mccoy had great games - they're supposed to - because they're supposed to be all pro. The only two highlights of todays game I took away are John Miller is someone to appreciate and Karlos Williams makes me happy with his style of play.

The LB's, the DL, the S's are playing piss poor football. The CB's are up and down and it's disappointing. The OL is trying and working hard ... some times. The QB/Taylor is full of charisma and I appreciate it. The skill players on offense, well, I don't know why we can't get the ball to our playmakers. I don't know why Miami couldn't shut down Watkins. I don't know why we have Clay and Woods right now and wish they could get the ball.

this team, the one we've been seeing week in and week out... i am so done with this team right now. they're wins are uninspiring and they really have no heart. it's great that guys like watkins and mccoy had great games - they're supposed to - because they're supposed to be all pro. The only two highlights of todays game I took away are John Miller is someone to appreciate and Karlos Williams makes me happy with his style of play.

The LB's, the DL, the S's are playing piss poor football. The CB's are up and down and it's disappointing. The OL is trying and working hard ... some times. The QB/Taylor is full of charisma and I appreciate it. The skill players on offense, well, I don't know why we can't get the ball to our playmakers. I don't know why Miami couldn't shut down Watkins. I don't know why we have Clay and Woods right now and wish they could get the ball.

Any season in which the Bills sweep the Fish is inspiring to me.

Agree.

Excellent post. I have always said it is the 10-20 yard throws accurately, consistently and in big moments that separate the top 10 QBs from the rest of the league.

I actually think Tyrod has shown the ability to nail those throws. I think we'll see that side of his game emerge in short order.

The LB's, the DL, the S's are playing piss poor football. The CB's are up and down and it's disappointing.

Hate that defense will be our downfall, whenever that is.

Dareus was sick right before the game--he almost didn't play. Not that it's an excuse for other weeks but it might be why he was off today.

Amazing that the defense is so many people's concern, isn't it? But we are all really starting to wonder about them. I can't say if it's the scheme but sure are a lot of people who think so.

I don't know what more the fan base would want in a QB. Are you guys really now complaining that TT doesn't throw enough 10-20 yard passes? The guy was 11-12 passing today--nearly perfect with no turnovers. In a game where the running game is just rolling, what better performance could you ask for? One week he doesn't run enough. Next he had a bad half and people are pissed. Let's enjoy the guy!

Edited by Observer

I don't know what more the fan base would want in a QB. Are you guys really now complaining that TT doesn't throw enough 10-20 yard passes? The guy was 11-12 passing today--nearly perfect with no turnovers. In a game where the running game is just rolling, what better performance could you ask for? One week he doesn't run enough. Next he had a bad half and people are pissed. Let's enjoy the guy!

I am not moaning about Tyrod. He is a big reason we have 4 wins. I am just looking at those intermediate throws as the next step for him. He has been good.

Now that the Bills FO can see what a really good OG in Richie Incognito can do for a team you think they will change their minds about drafting an offensive linemen with a first round pick? Man, i hope the Bills find a way to resign him.

If Glenn walks they simply will HAVE to draft O-line 1st round unless Tyrod's play is such that they have to go QB.

Dareus was sick right before the game--he almost didn't play. Not that it's an excuse for other weeks but it might be why he was off today.

Amazing that the defense is so many people's concern, isn't it? But we are all really starting to wonder about them. I can't say if it's the scheme but sure are a lot of people who think so.

I'm not pissed or disappointed or demanding more of Taylor. He had a near flawless game. However, he has room to imporve. This isn't a bad thing, nor is it unexpected. I'm just stating what I think is the area of his game ..or perhaps the offensive philosophy.. that i think needs the most improvement.

What kills me is he had 12 passing attempts. In an entire game. Like 3 passing attempts per quarter. And yet, he still managed 181 yards and a TD.

This was the model of what Roman wanted to do on offense. Tyrod: 11-12 passing. TWELVE passing attempts the whole game. You know what that means? No mistakes. Plodding along on offense -- not really any 12 play sustained clock-eating drives -- but with nearly every play having the possibility of a playmaker breaking it open for a big one. Tyrod's first run. McCoy's first run. Karlos and Sammy on several occasions. Sure, I'd like to see the sustained drives come too, particularly when we have a lead, but ... I'm not complaining. Four big time playmakers were back today, and all made big time plays. Defense? First half and first drive of the second half, I wasn't that impressed. But after that, Hughes took over and again ... a big time playmaker made some big time plays.

Overall, some work to do, but the Bills pretty much did what Whaley, Rex, and Roman built them to do. Let's see more of this Thursday night!]

EDIT: they fooled me. The last drive was a 6+ minute, 10 play nail in the Dolphins' coffin.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I actually think Tyrod has shown the ability to nail those throws. I think we'll see that side of his game emerge in short order.

Hate that defense will be our downfall, whenever that is.

I watched a lot of Carolina/Green Bay. That's what our D should look like this year. A balance of blitzing and conservatism. An aggressive set of backs left on their islands, and LB's cleaning all the mess up in between things.

Any season in which the Bills sweep the Fish is inspiring to me.

We have beat them all but 2 times in the last 7 matchups. What has beating the fish ever got us? Since 2012 we have lost only 2 games, in other words. Beating the Patriots are all that matter; we are 11-3 against the Jets since 2010.

It is beating the teams like Cinci, Jax and the likes in our conference that are our downfall. Winning in our division has not mattered one bit for 10 years.

I think your criticism of the defense is warranted. It just isn't playoff caliber at this point. No two ways about it.

GO BILLS!!!

I have a feeling that could be in December against Romo in Buffalo. Him coming back and throwing it up like a madman - silence critics, etc.

Bill, it's nice to have you back and you must be getting healthy as you are again your game with this post tonight. I've been so impressed with Darby. As with many, i really questioned this pick which is why I'm a fan, not a scout.

You don't have two 100+ rushers without excellent line play. They deserve a lot of credit for this success.

I'm just so happy to see our stars out there. Now when we get Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams back, this defense will really improve.

What kills me is he had 12 passing attempts. In an entire game. Like 3 passing attempts per quarter. And yet, he still managed 181 yards and a TD.

Our QB throwing fewer than 20 times is part of the recipe as well. If our running game is as dominant as today then our offense is good.

I watched a lot of Carolina/Green Bay. That's what our D should look like this year. A balance of blitzing and conservatism. An aggressive set of backs left on their islands, and LB's cleaning all the mess up in between things.

And both those teams gave up about 30 points and we gave up 17. We did not play well on defense at all and yet we gave up 17 points.

This was the model of what Roman wanted to do on offense. Tyrod: 11-12 passing. TWELVE passing attempts the whole game. You know what that means? No mistakes. Plodding along on offense -- not really any 12 play sustained clock-eating drives -- but with nearly every play having the possibility of a playmaker breaking it open for a big one. Tyrod's first run. McCoy's first run. Karlos and Sammy on several occasions. Sure, I'd like to see the sustained drives come too, particularly when we have a lead, but ... I'm not complaining. Four big time playmakers were back today, and all made big time plays. Defense? First half and first drive of the second half, I wasn't that impressed. But after that, Hughes took over and again ... a big time playmaker made some big time plays.

Overall, some work to do, but the Bills pretty much did what Whaley, Rex, and Roman built them to do. Let's see more of this Thursday night!]

EDIT: they fooled me. The last drive was a 6+ minute, 10 play nail in the Dolphins' coffin.

this type of game plan is not built for long term success and success in the playoffs. I don't see it right now if we get there in a few years. Our offense tries to slow down the game and teams in the playoffs cannot be stopped of offense.

Our QB throwing fewer than 20 times is part of the recipe as well. If our running game is as dominant as today then our offense is good.

Yep. The only reason he threw 12 passes is because he didn't have to throw. The running game broke the game open. Plus, there were about 7 other pass plays called where he scrambled or got sacked.

And both those teams gave up about 30 points and we gave up 17. We did not play well on defense at all and yet we gave up 17 points.

both of those offenses are a hell of a lot more talented then Miami's. Green Bay has no OL and still managed to score. Carolina has turned in to possessing one of the best OL's right now.

this type of game plan is not built for long term success and success in the playoffs. I don't see it right now if we get there in a few years. Our offense tries to slow down the game and teams in the playoffs cannot be stopped of offense.

Well, after praising this offense today, you may be surprised to discover that I agree. But I'm a one step at a time guy after 15 years of not even sniffing the playoffs. And remember: the Broncos won a playoff game with Tebow and a great playmaker in D. Thomas on offense.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

And yet the defense is still so frustrating to watch. Coming off the bye there was hope that something would be done on the coaching end to change/ simplify schemes and let players make plays, or on the players end to grasp the D and play with fire without hesitating or thinking or making mistakes. Neither seems to have happened

Well, after praising this offense today, you may be surprised to discover that I agree. But I'm a one step at a time guy after 15 years of not even sniffing the playoffs. And remember: the Broncos won a playoff game with Tebow and a great playmaker in D. Thomas on offense.

The second series McCoy ripped off a 48 yard TD run. Karlos had two long runs. They were running well the entire game and then struck on deep balls when they had to. They didn't pass because they didn't have to, not because they couldn't. Do what is working is a very sustainable system. It's not at all that they are not capable of throwing the ball downfield. TT has proven that he can do that.

And yet the defense is still so frustrating to watch. Coming off the bye there was hope that something would be done on the coaching end to change/ simplify schemes and let players make plays, or on the players end to grasp the D and play with fire without hesitating or thinking or making mistakes. Neither seems to have happened

No question. I was furious with the tackling and over pursuit and giving up first downs and penalties. But they also only gave up 17 points. They made a great play on fourth and goal to get away with zero points. They made a huge turnover that was one of the biggest plays of the game.

The second series McCoy ripped off a 48 yard TD run. Karlos had two long runs. They were running well the entire game and then struck on deep balls when they had to. They didn't pass because they didn't have to, not because they couldn't. Do what is working is a very sustainable system. It's not at all that they are not capable of throwing the ball downfield. TT has proven that he can do that.

And I agree with that too. Look, the best way for this team to win (and keep winning) is to do what Rex and Roman built them to do: run the ball, get the ball into the hands of some elite athletes (McCoy, Watkins, now Williams, sometimes Clay, and of course Tyrod) and let them get the points on the board through individual effort. I don't think it's necessarily a recipe for success in the playoffs, but ... then again, isn't this kind of close to what the Seahawks have done? I hope I'm wrong.

I think your criticism of the defense is warranted. It just isn't playoff caliber at this point. No two ways about it.

GO BILLS!!!

This. I feel exactly the same way. Match this offensive production with last year's defense and then we have a winner.