A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

The referees have an impossible job. They are instructed by the league office to emphasize certain infractions. What frustrates me to no end is the arbitrariness of many of the calls (as you noted). If a minor infraction has no bearing on a play or is not near where the play goes to it shouldn't be called. The referees have lost a sense of perspective and situational awareness. Is there a kickoff and punt return play where the call for blocking in the back isn't called? Because of the increasing amount of penalty calls it is less enjoyable to watch a game. The refereeing in general has become a pet peeve of mine. I'm tired of it!

Agreed. The only thing I would add is that they are almost always making the call as it happens in their little area and aren't privy to what is going on elsewhere. Not most of the time but a lot of times they make the call without any idea of whether it will have a big affect on the play. And you really don't want them picking up flags because it didn't. Once in a great while when a play is close or other info makes them pick it up and that's okay. It's actually good. But they never should pick up a flag after it was thrown just because they then realized it didn't have anything to do with the play. I understand you didn't suggest they should. All I'm saying is half the time when they reach for it they wouldn't know yet.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree on Gilmore and one of my colleagues who is a fellow NFL fan (Browns sadly for him) thinks Gilmore is a top 5 corner and is still fuming that the Browns didn't pick him #3 overall in 2012. That is a tad higher than I have him but I think he is better than the TBD consensus.

My theory as to why so many people don't appreciate Gilmore as much as I think they should is because they resent the Bills drafting a CB with a high first round pick. The year in which they drafted Gilmore he was picked in the vicinity of where he was ranked i.e. near the top. While many people disagree with me (and you) he has played up to his lofty draft status. What more can one ask for?

My theory as to why so many people don't appreciate Gilmore as much as I think they should is because they resent the Bills drafting a CB with a high first round pick. The year in which they drafted Gilmore he was picked in the vicinity of where he was ranked i.e. near the top. While many people disagree with me (and you) he has played up to his lofty draft status. What more can one ask for?

I really do think that most bills fans realize that gilmore is a good player and merited the pick. The critics are loud, but they are few.

Agreed. The only thing I would add is that they are almost always making the call as it happens in their little area and aren't privy to what is going on elsewhere. Not most of the time but a lot of times they make the call without any idea of whether it will have a big affect on the play. And you really don't want them picking up flags because it didn't. Once in a great while when a play is close or other info makes them pick it up and that's okay. It's actually good. But they never should pick up a flag after it was thrown just because they then realized it didn't have anything to do with the play. I understand you didn't suggest they should. All I'm saying is half the time when they reach for it they wouldn't know yet.

In general I agree with what you stated. Where I have a different take is that instead of working as individuals and responsible for certain designated areas on the field. they should act more as a unit. This would call for more film work with the refereeing team and more communication prior to the game.

How does one legislate judgment? If there is a marginal holding call by the RT and the running play goes to the left then the official should let it go. It has no bearing on the play but can have a disproportionate affect on the game if the back breaks a big play.

It's a tough job where usually one side is going to be dissatisfied with the call. What I find upsetting is that the problem with the arbitrariness of the calls seems to be getting worse.

I really do think that most bills fans realize that gilmore is a good player and merited the pick. The critics are loud, but they are few.

Are you pointing the finger at NYC Bill? Maybe if he went to Alabama Gotham Bill would be more receptive towards him? In his defense he has slowly but steadily come around on him. LOL

I was critical of Gilmore for being inconsistent.....and he deserved it.

He's improved a lot in the past 30 games or so but that was no given.

As much as people think fans are too critical here.......there is a bigger faction that want to give participation trophies to their celebrity crushes.

Cases in point.......guys like CJ and SJ13.

I was critical of Gilmore for being inconsistent.....and he deserved it.

He's improved a lot in the past 30 games or so but that was no given.

As much as people think fans are too critical here.......there is a bigger faction that want to give participation trophies to their celebrity crushes.

Cases in point.......guys like CJ and SJ13.

No doubt. I'm referring more to the dislike of cb picks here ( and not just bill) because their mistakes are so visible and hence easy to peg as problems. Gilmore is one of the top 15 cbs in the nfl, and while not the best I'll take it. I watch other teams with bad cbs get shredded on a regular basis. The bills don't despite having a truly feeble pass rush.

No doubt. I'm referring more to the dislike of cb picks here ( and not just bill) because their mistakes are so visible and hence easy to peg as problems. Gilmore is one of the top 15 cbs in the nfl, and while not the best I'll take it. I watch other teams with bad cbs get shredded on a regular basis. The bills don't despite having a truly feeble pass rush.

Playing CB is one of the most difficult positions in the NFL now with all of the rule changes. You breathe on the WR its PI...

Ridiculous. Most fans appreciate him but he's always drawn some bad penalties for one thing. People who understand the game don't care where someone is drafted. They just want to see them consistently produce. Should people not appreciate Taylor because he was a low draft choice and thus cannot possibly play, or Karlos for that matter?

Are you pointing the finger at NYC Bill? Maybe if he went to Alabama Gotham Bill would be more receptive towards him? In his defense he has slowly but steadily come around on him. LOL

:) Funny you should say that! The Tide has a kid at corner who is a freshman, Minkah Fitzpatrick. Remember that name. Saban doesn't even start this kid! He plays him at nickel and on special teams. If he stays healthy and focused, he is going right to the NFL and right to the Pro Bowl. Do watch #29 if you have a Bama game on.

Dave, teams that are set at quarterback, LT and DE SHOULD draft first round corners if they see a special talent. The Bills? Generally speaking, are really not one of these teams.

I am one of the few on this board that was not so impressed with Levy. Reed, Smith, Kelly, Talley, Thurnman, etc. all seemed to age at the same time. In lieu of trying to find replacements, he drafted defensive backs. Some were good and some were not so good. This resulted in losing football games.

When he came back in 2006 he held even more sway and was even worse. He came away from the 2006 draft with a 37.5 (as I recall) million dollar Donte Whitner, and a couple of early round dbs who sucked. That draft destroyed this team for many years and I absolutely knew it would. And yes, he DID also get Kyle Williams in round 5.

Gilmore? He is "good." But, how many games has he taken over and won for the Bills. One? Two? He has 8 interceptions in 3 1/2 years. Again, this is "good." But imho, a cornerback is almost never someone to build a team around, especially a team with qb problems.

Finally, a defensive back doesn't have to be a top 10 pick to produce. Darby is proof of this. So is Robey, who has 5 sacks and a pick in his short career, and Searcy (4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 5 picks in 4 1/2 seasons). Hey, Revis went at #14.

So, was Gilmore worth the #10? I suppose his talent says yes. Did his selection result in wins? Sure, a couple. But he also lost us some games along the way.

The bottom line is that we must hope that Tyrod is the real deal!!! It's mostly about the QB these days whether we like it or not.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

Dave, teams that are set at quarterback, LT and DE SHOULD draft first round corners if they see a special talent. The Bills? Generally speaking, are really not one of these teams.

I am one of the few on this board that was not so impressed with Levy. Reed, Smith, Kelly, Talley, Thurnman, etc. all seemed to age at the same time. In lieu of trying to find replacements, he drafted defensive backs. Some were good and some were not so good. This resulted in losing football games.

When he came back in 2006 he held even more sway and was even worse. He came away from the 2006 draft with a 37.5 (as I recall) million dollar Donte Whitner, and a couple of early round dbs who sucked. That draft destroyed this team for many years and I absolutely knew it would. And yes, he DID also get Kyle Williams in round 5.

Gilmore? He is "good." But, how many games has he taken over and won for the Bills. One? Two? He has 8 interceptions in 3 1/2 years. Again, this is "good." But imho, a cornerback is almost never someone to build a team around, especially a team with qb problems.

Finally, a defensive back doesn't have to be a top 10 pick to produce. Darby is proof of this. So is Robey, who has 5 sacks and a pick in his short career, and Searcy (4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 5 picks in 4 1/2 seasons). Hey, Revis went at #14.

So, was Gilmore worth the #10? I suppose his talent says yes. Did his selection result in wins? Sure, a couple. But he also lost us some games along the way.

The bottom line is that we must hope that Tyrod is the real deal!!! It's mostly about the QB these days whether we like it or not.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always looked at Levy the coach as a manager type. Not a knock by any means, because it took a special type of coach to manage the talent and egos of those teams.

Levy the GM set the team back 5-10 years. Arggg.

Bill, you could say almost the exact same thing for a LT and a DE. Look at Joe Thomas, how many games has he "taken over and won" for the Browns? How about JJ Watt? Sure, there were a couple games last year were he willed the Texans to win by his play but still not nearly as much as a good QB would. Does that mean no team should pick those positions in the first round? Or in the top ten? So, a team with QB problems probably should only select QBs in the first round.

And to your other point, you can find DE and LT not in the first round as well. Jason Peters and Greg Hardy are examples of that. Is it harder/rare? Of course it is, just like it is for finding a starting CB. Can you find "serviceable" CBs past round 1? Of course.

Now, if you're saying a team doesn't need great CBs or a great LT or a great DE because they have a great QB, I would agree with that.

The sky and a Winning Mega Lottery ticket?

:) Funny you should say that! The Tide has a kid at corner who is a freshman, Minkah Fitzpatrick. Remember that name. Saban doesn't even start this kid! He plays him at nickel and on special teams. If he stays healthy and focused, he is going right to the NFL and right to the Pro Bowl. Do watch #29 if you have a Bama game on.

Alabama is certainly loaded with pro talent. What has perplexed me about Saban is that he recruits exceptional talent at all the positions except the qb position. What's the problem? Most of the qbs who play for him seem to be smart manager type qbs. I'm surprised he hasn't had an elite qb prospect in the fold, or I'm not aware of it.

Edited by JohnC

After rewatching the game I realize it could have been much much closer. The third quarter was going badly for us and could have easily swung their way. Luckily they screwed themselves.

Ridiculous. Most fans appreciate him but he's always drawn some bad penalties for one thing. People who understand the game don't care where someone is drafted. They just want to see them consistently produce. Should people not appreciate Taylor because he was a low draft choice and thus cannot possibly play, or Karlos for that matter?

Our problem is we watch our players too closely and only see highlights of others. We get hung up on every mistake while forgetting other players have the same flaws.

Bill, you could say almost the exact same thing for a LT and a DE. Look at Joe Thomas, how many games has he "taken over and won" for the Browns? How about JJ Watt? Sure, there were a couple games last year were he willed the Texans to win by his play but still not nearly as much as a good QB would. Does that mean no team should pick those positions in the first round? Or in the top ten? So, a team with QB problems probably should only select QBs in the first round.

And to your other point, you can find DE and LT not in the first round as well. Jason Peters and Greg Hardy are examples of that. Is it harder/rare? Of course it is, just like it is for finding a starting CB. Can you find "serviceable" CBs past round 1? Of course.

Now, if you're saying a team doesn't need great CBs or a great LT or a great DE because they have a great QB, I would agree with that.

Excellent post.

After rewatching the game I realize it could have been much much closer. The third quarter was going badly for us and could have easily swung their way. Luckily they screwed themselves.

Our problem is we watch our players too closely and only see highlights of others. We get hung up on every mistake while forgetting other players have the same flaws.

So true. Been saying this for years with respect to our offensive line. According to 90% of the posters on this website, our offensive line always sucks and has always sucked. "Oh imagine how much better (x running back) would have been if he had a decent offensive line..." Someone last week even intimated that Losman and Edwards were doomed and never got a fair shake because the line was so bad. The only year in recent memory that the Bills line really sucked was last year. In 2012 it may have been the best in football! People act as if every other line in the league is like the Cowboys current unit. People still talk about this year's line as if it sucks. It doesn't suck at all. It's at least average if it isn't above average.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

In 2012 it may have been the best in football! People act as if every other line in the league is like the Cowboys current unit. People still talk about this year's line as if it sucks. It doesn't suck at all. It's at least average if it isn't above average.

Whilst I agree with you that people generally think this line is worse compared to the rest of the league than it is (and the standard around the league is not good I have to say) the 2012 Bills line was definitely not the best in football. The 9ers were the best, but there were other very good lines about - the Browns and ironically Rex's Jets spring to mind. I think it was a top 10 group but that is as far as I'd go. Chan's system helped the line look better than it was.

This year I think the Bills line ranks somewhere between 14 and 20 in the league.... the problem is it is inconsistent. This weekend was its best outing of the season without any question, it has had bad days as well though - they were horrible against New England for example and were not great against the Titans either.

I've always looked at Levy the coach as a manager type. Not a knock by any means, because it took a special type of coach to manage the talent and egos of those teams.

Levy the GM set the team back 5-10 years. Arggg.

I completely agree. Levy was very good at managing people. I never thought of him as a football man in the traditional sense.

Whilst I agree with you that people generally think this line is worse compared to the rest of the league than it is (and the standard around the league is not good I have to say) the 2012 Bills line was definitely not the best in football. The 9ers were the best, but there were other very good lines about - the Browns and ironically Rex's Jets spring to mind. I think it was a top 10 group but that is as far as I'd go. Chan's system helped the line look better than it was.

This year I think the Bills line ranks somewhere between 14 and 20 in the league.... the problem is it is inconsistent. This weekend was its best outing of the season without any question, it has had bad days as well though - they were horrible against New England for example and were not great against the Titans either.

Without looking it up weren't the 2012 Bills 1st or 2nd in the league in both (least) sacks allowed and yards per carry? I think your post speaks to exactly what the other poster was talking about- how many games did you really watch and scrutinize the 2012 Cleveland Browns' offensive line?

I think we agree that this year's line is average. But so many people on this website insist it sucks and we need to go OL with our first three picks next year, etc. It's almost as if people do not watch other football games and understand that not every other QB in the league has ten seconds to throw every time he drops back.

Oh and how about the biggest fallacy of all- that Whaley hasn't addressed the offensive line! 2nd, 5th and 7th round picks in 2014 (both the 5th and 7th rounder were guys who graded way higher but had extenuating circumsta'nces) and then Incognito and 3rd rounder this season. It's unbelievable the way most posters think every line should look like the Cowboys. 'The OL sucks, the OL is the most important unit, we need to spend all our top draft picks to address the OL' has become almost as tired as the 'just plug and play any old running back, they're all the same' narrative.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Without looking it up weren't the 2012 Bills 1st or 2nd in the league in both (least) sacks allowed and yards per carry? I think your post speaks to exactly what the other poster was talking about- how many games did you really watch and scrutinize the 2012 Cleveland Browns' offensive line?

I watch a lot of football. I watch at least 4 or 5 games a week on game pass in condensed versions as well as the TNF live and the Bills and one other every Sunday live.

The Browns line has been the only good thing about their team for a number of years. I remember them being particularly good that year - it was Weeden's rookie year and he had all day back there at times and was horrible anyway.

I watch a lot of football. I watch at least 4 or 5 games a week on game pass in condensed versions as well as the TNF live and the Bills and one other every Sunday live.

The Browns line has been the only good thing about their team for a number of years. I remember them being particularly good that year - it was Weeden's rookie year and he had all day back there at times and was horrible anyway.

Not saying it wasn't but the Bills line was great that year too. You know what year the Bills QB's had all day? 2007- the year Jason Peters really busted out. I wrote a letter to The News that got published before the season started in 2008 and Peters was holding out about how the previous year was the best pass protection I had ever seen from a Bills team- including the Super Bowl era.

Thursday will be a big indicator of how the season will turn out. All and all I didn't think we played great defense and that we gave up a ton of yards shows that. The offense showed great sparks and Tyrod did a impressive job after sitting out two games. The biggest disappointment is the "D" and if that continues to struggle we are not going to make the playoffs. Rex has not impressed at all. Sad but true he isn't living up to his hype.

It was Miller's best game in my estimation. Yes he got beat by Suh a couple of times in pass protection but his angles in run blocking were excellent. It was a good day fom the line.

Thats a HUGE evaluation

Best game against the best DT in the league

There was a play in the game that summarizes the reactions on the board between the Gilmore bashers and Darby lovers. It was a 3 & 4 conversion when Landry converted with a tough catch in pretty tight coverage (IMO, great throw and catch. Good coverage, too. These two are not mutually exclusive). My point is, if it was Gilmore, we'd hear a lot of "he needs to finish plays" or whatever. With Darby, i haven't even seen anyone bring it up. The double standard with the two is amazing.

Its not a double standard. People christened Gilmores island. An elite cb. A shutdown guy. Darby after preseason many thought... including me that he was screwed. The kid is a rookie often matched against the other teams best receiver. When people name Darbys island they will expect the same plays to be finished. Its just that simple.

That bolded is absolutely true, and I don't get why more fans don't see that. Because of Chan's short, quick passing scheme, and Fitz's ability to scramble the line allowed a league low 23 sacks in 2011.(But also allowed 69 hits on the QB at 10th) In 2012 30 sacks put them in the top ten with 75 hits on the QB which puts them at 15th for that.

If you think only in terms of pass blocking then the lines haven't been that bad over the years. 2012 the Bills were still pretty bad in run blocking grading around 20th or so. You also need to recall the years (2009-2012) that Wood ended his season on IR, and there were just so many injuries to so many players year after year. It was like a revolving door at LT after Peters was traded, and before Glenn. It took a few years to replace Levitre who graded as their best linemen in 2012.

Currently the left side of the line is very solid with Incognito grading about the best with Glenn, and Wood right behind him. Its the right side of the line that has had difficulties.

On another note, In terms of the Bills DB's play this season, and considering the lack of QB sacks, pressures this year by the Bills defense going from 1st to 27th I'm really very surprised they are playing as well as they have been. The less the pass rush the longer the DB's need to maintain the coverage. That soft coverage scheme against the Patriots was downright ridiculous, and I really hope they don't do that again in two weeks.