The Truth About This Team

The truth is:

Early expectations were too high.

Taylor is new. McCoy and Williams are new. Harvin and Clay are new. Ryan and Roman and Thurman are new.

Things are going in a good direction. There's a good core of players on this team, and some good young talent.

They just aren't ready to be a playoff level team yet. They will look great some weeks, and leave you scratching your head other weeks. Everyone wanted them to be a top AFC contender right out of the gate, and those expectations were unrealistic. It takes time for all these new pieces to come together and gel.

They will be OK in the long run. The upcoming schedule is favorable. If they can stay at .500 through the growing pains they will be in good shape for a late WC run, and even if it doesn't happen this year they are building something better than what they've had for the last decade.

Hogwash.

We went 9-7 last year and have 3 pro bowlers on the D Line.

We're not losing because the guys haven't figured how to play together, We're losing because we make bone headed mistakes and come out "flat" (Jerry Hughes' word) against a team perceived to be worse than us. Guys are getting out muscled for the ball and fumbling instead of going down or out of bounds.

Our players have been smoking their own tweets. It starts at the top and Rex needs to somehow humble the team and reign them in.

Edited by reddogblitz

The truth is:

Taylor is new. McCoy and Williams are new. Harvin and Clay are new. Ryan and Roman and Thurman are new.

Things are going in a good direction. There's a good core of players on this team, and some good young talent.

They just aren't ready to be a playoff level team yet. They will look great some weeks, and leave you scratching your head other weeks. Everyone wanted them to be a top AFC contender right out of the gate, and those expectations were unrealistic. It takes time for all these new pieces to come together and gel.

They will be OK in the long run. The upcoming schedule is favorable. If they can stay at .500 through the growing pains they will be in good shape for a late WC run, and even if it doesn't happen this year they are building something better than what they've had for the last decade.

Agree with your premise, disagree with your conclusion. I think that this is a new team that needs to find its way, but that by the end of the season, they will definitely be playoff caliber (and hopefully in playoff contention). There is a ton of talent, they just need to learn to gel. Hell McCoy wasn't even around in the preseason and now he's out. Roman's gotta learn how to call plays for this team, not ones he's worked for in the past. Rex needs to know what attitude gives he and his team the best chance to win, regardless of bravado. I don't see all of that taking a full season.

The reason I feel this is different, is that when we were clicking (albeit against bad teams), the plays we were executing we on a different level. They were intricate and powerful. And the plays I saw our players make were ones made by stars. Not the ryan fitzpatrick or doug flute scrappy type of plays, but real prime time NFL premium plays, and all types, short and long distance runs, and short, mid and long range passes. They have it all. They just need to learn how to click so that every thing is second nature, and they need to learn how to take on the winner's mentality.

Ok, fine that may take a full season, but I think we can get to the playoffs before everything is in perfect place. Cause when it is...

SUPERBOWL, BABY!!

Edited by BillsBackersChicago

Agree with your premise, disagree with your conclusion. I think that this is a new team that needs to find its way, but that by the end of the season, they will definitely be playoff caliber (and hopefully in playoff contention). There is a ton of talent, they just need to learn to gel. Hell McCoy wasn't even around in the preseason and now he's out. Roman's gotta learn how to call plays for this team, not ones he's worked for in the past. Rex needs to know what attitude gives he and his team the best chance to win, regardless of bravado. I don't see all of that taking a full season.

The reason I feel this is different, is that when we were clicking (albeit against bad teams), the plays we were executing we on a different level. They were intricate and powerful. And the plays I saw our players make were ones made by stars. Not the ryan fitzpatrick or doug flute scrappy type of plays, but real prime time NFL premium plays, and all types, short and long distance runs, and short, mid and long range passes. They have it all. They just need to learn how to click so that every thing is second nature, and they need to learn how to take on the winner's mentality.

Ok, fine that may take a full season, but I think we can get to the playoffs before everything is in perfect place. Cause when it is...

SUPERBOWL, BABY!!

Exactly, the goal should not be to just make the playoffs and lose in the first game (being down in South Florida, that is/was pretty much the hope for the Dolphins). This team is too talented for that. The goal is a deep playoff run, and they cannot achieve that without going through growing pains and overcoming adversity. So much better this happens now than late in the season when it's too late to make adjustments and the opponents can duplicate what they see on film as working. Plenty of time to adjust and make counters, and plan for the counters to the counters.

I think all fans understand this and accept this. Even the most optimistic kool-aid fan accepted these limitations going in. What's frustrating is the sloppiness, especially the stupid penalties. Glenn, Hughes, Wood, Bradham — these guys have all taken too many penalties this year and they all should know better at this point.

It's the defense that has me worried. Generally the Bills are quite good at rush defense, but against the pass we're getting killed. This is the case with very few injuries on defense, except for McKelvin and A. Williams.

I've been wondering for a few weeks now whether the defense is better this year than last. The conclusion for me, so far, is that it's not as good this year. Sacks are way down, passing yardage and more to the point the ease of beating us through the air is way up. I think Darby is doing well and the coverage generally seems to be fine initially, but rushing the passer has become a weakness and the QBs are getting too much time. Eli was not throwing just quick, short routes. There were several plays that took longer to develop, and he was not usually hurried. What has me really upset is that Ryan has the Bills blitzing so seldom. The other teams don't seem to be worried about the threat because we don't do it enough.

If Ryan can't make defensive adjustments as the game moves along, he needs to let his defensive coordinator coordinate the defense, instead of being Ryan's puppy.

I wonder what Jim Schwartz is doing these days.

Agreed.

Just having Watkins on the field takes away from any other double coverage

we really missed him

CBF

Yup. And all the bluster about Karlos hid the fact that Shady is still the most talented RB on the team and a great player who makes defenses account for him.

i am not ready to make any rash judgements, but i must admit that on more than one occasion during the past 3 games, i did make mention while watching the game with friends

how i thought schwartz's D seemed more aggressive, and just plain . better. not ready to jump off the rex bandwagon, but JMHO

Edited by dwight in philly

The truth is:

Williams is the only rookie. The rest have been around the league for a while. Poor excuse.

Hogwash.

We went 9-7 last year and have 3 pro bowlers on the D Line.

We're not losing because the guys haven't figured how to play together, We're losing because we make bone headed mistakes and come out "flat" (Jerry Hughes' word) against a team perceived to be worse than us. Guys are getting out muscled for the ball and fumbling instead of going down or out of bounds.

Our players have been smoking their own tweets. It starts at the top and Rex needs to somehow humble the team and reign them in.

The OP isn't hogwash and it appears you're still in post-game rage. This tells me you discounted that the Giants have had double-digit 4th quarter leads in every game and they're begining to find ways to survive them. We're not there yet. It's evident by players yelling at each other for missed assignments and I'll offer as a case in point that through our 4 games, it's either a blowout easy win or we're smashed so hard we can't overcome. We haven't been in a close game dog fight yet. How we'll react to that will determine our ultimate success. Again, if not this year, very soon. IMO.

The OP isn't hogwash and it appears you're still in post-game rage. This tells me you discounted that the Giants have had double-digit 4th quarter leads in every game and they're begining to find ways to survive them. We're not there yet. It's evident by players yelling at each other for missed assignments and I'll offer as a case in point that through our 4 games, it's either a blowout easy win or we're smashed so hard we can't overcome. We haven't been in a close game dog fight yet. How we'll react to that will determine our ultimate success. Again, if not this year, very soon. IMO.

Every year its "very soon". Fans are growing tired of the circus year in and year out and its been going on a long time (15 going on 16 years). The roster wasnt a complete overhaul and there is too much talent for this bafoonery.

The loss of Watkins, Shady, Miller, and then Glenn were too much to overcome offensively.

Sorry, but this is a lame excuse. Every team has injuries. Football is a game of attrition. You gotta win with who suits up. Good terms do it all the time. I remember a playoff game once where the Oilers won without Earl Campbell who was pretty much their whole team. Speaking of he Oilers, I remember another playoff game where a team beat them without their starting HOF QB. And another team that won the SB without their starting HOF QB.

The Giants were playing without Cruz.

This is the bigs. No excuses offered,none accepted. Just win.

Edited by reddogblitz

Sorry, but this is a lame excuse. Every team has injuries. Football is a game of attrition. You gotta win with who suits up. Good terms do it all the time. I remember a playoff game once where the Oilers won without Earl Campbell who was pretty much their whole team. Speaking of he Oilers, I remember another playoff game where a team beat them without their starting HOF QB. And another team that won the SB without their starting HOF QB.

No, those are pretty valid excuses as to why the offense struggled. Sure injuries happen and that's part of the game. But to say that the result would have been the same with those 2 guys is specious at best.

I disagree. Left tackle, best WR, your elite runner and starting RG with a qb in his 4th career start is not that easy to overcome for a young offense that played very little together in preseason.

you're calling it an excuse, its more of a harsh reality.

I disagree. Left tackle, best WR, your elite runner and starting RG with a qb in his 4th career start is not that easy to overcome for a young offense that played very little together in preseason.

you're calling it an excuse, its more of a harsh reality.

Sure sounds like an excuse to me. If Carpenter makes the kick, TYrod throws the ball to Woods sooner on the 2 and Nigel makes the tackle we win easily. The game was there for the taking and we blew it.

Sammy and the OLine and McCoy had nothing to do with that.

Sure sounds like an excuse to me. If Carpenter makes the kick, TYrod throws the ball to Woods sooner on the 2 and Nigel makes the tackle we win easily. The game was there for the taking and we blew it.

Sammy and the OLine and McCoy had nothing to do with that.

You're joking, right?

The truth is:

15 friggin years and our expectations are too high??.. No our expectations are right in line with investment put into this team

and its a giant let down

I can't believe there are people trying to rationalize this..

No I'm not.

Are you saying if Dan makes the kick, TYrod throws the pass sooner, and Nigel makes the tackle we still lose?

No, I'm saying that with Sammy and Shady, it's a completely different ballgame. But there is no doubt the Bills beat themselves in their absence.

I'm glad Doug Flutie joined the board to bestow The Truth on us. We were dangerously short on The Truth until this post.

In all seriousness, it's too early to judge this edition of the Bills. The new owners have owned the team for just 1/4 of one season. The HC, OC, and DC have all coached the Bills for a grand total of 4 games. Our starting QB has just 4 starts under his belt. And we're 2-2 - two games from utter despair and 2 games from complete football euphoria. There's just not enough data to make a sound judgment yet - one way or the other.

How did Jim Kelly look after 4 starts? How did Marv Levy look 4 games into his regime? What tale-tell signs were already visible that suggested HOF careers?

It's too early to make any predictions about the remainder of this season that aren't mostly just speculation and guesswork.

These aren't excuses why we didn't win, they are excuses why we have other games to look forward to. We are undeniably better with Miller, Glenn, McCoy, and Watkins in the game. Therefore when they come back, we will be a better team.

Edited by What a Tuel

The truth is:

Yep, 4 games is way too early to judge this team. I predict the band will jump back on the wagon by the half way mark...

Edited by TPS

These aren't excuses why we didn't win, they are excuses why we have other games to look forward to. We are undeniably better with Miller, Glenn, McCoy, and Watkins in the game. Therefore when they come back, we will be a better team.

I'd say that it's an excuse as to why they didn't win that game. But injuries are part of the game. And I agree about the team going forward, health-permitting.

The truth is:

It's about time they start living up to high expectations. They had a top d last year and returned the same cast. We kept hearing this team is a competent QB away. Add to that mix McCoy and percey Harvin, a huge upgrade in OC in Roman and a guy that actually looks like he should be a competent QB. This team shouldn't be getting their teeth kicked in at home by a 1-2 team.

I'd say that it's an excuse as to why they didn't win that game. But injuries are part of the game. And I agree about the team going forward, health-permitting.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Has there ever been an NFL game with both teams at full strength without injuries?

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Has there ever been an NFL game with both teams at full strength without injuries?

I've already acknowledged that injuries are part of the game and it was bad luck that the Bills were missing two great players on their offense. What I'm trying to say is that those two guys missing was a major reason why they lost.

It's the defense that has me worried. Generally the Bills are quite good at rush defense, but against the pass we're getting killed. This is the case with very few injuries on defense, except for McKelvin and A. Williams.

I've been wondering for a few weeks now whether the defense is better this year than last. The conclusion for me, so far, is that it's not as good this year. Sacks are way down, passing yardage and more to the point the ease of beating us through the air is way up. I think Darby is doing well and the coverage generally seems to be fine initially, but rushing the passer has become a weakness and the QBs are getting too much time. Eli was not throwing just quick, short routes. There were several plays that took longer to develop, and he was not usually hurried. What has me really upset is that Ryan has the Bills blitzing so seldom. The other teams don't seem to be worried about the threat because we don't do it enough.

If Ryan can't make defensive adjustments as the game moves along, he needs to let his defensive coordinator coordinate the defense, instead of being Ryan's puppy.

I wonder what Jim Schwartz is doing these days.

This!!

Rex Ryan said he has never had a defense with this much talent, and yet the defense isn't playing anywhere near as good as last year. This years Bills defense is Ranked 22nd, and that's down from 30th because Manning kinda stinks. Still the defense against the pass is still ranked 30th.

No Bills player has as many as two lousy sacks yet? The team only has 7 sacks so far, and the big four only Mario-1, Marcell-1, Hughes-1, Charles-1, Graham-1, Bradham-1, Robey-1.

It sure as hell doesn't help to have the highest paid pass rushing defensive line players in the league dropping into pass coverage. Which in my view is completely absurd!! They should be rushing the passer each and every down, no question.

Current Bills DC Dennis Thurman is stinking things up, and I'd rather see Schwartz running the defense at this point. There is far, far to much talent on that D line to get this lack of production.

I think this team is going to be playing strong even with the tough schedule at the end of the season.........we just need to weather the injury storm and pull out these games that we SHOULD win

Texans, Eagles, Redskins, Cowboys, Jets. With most at home. Right now that's looking pretty soft at the end to me, considering Texans, Cowboys and Jets are at home. A playoff caliber team should win all 5 of those, or at least 4 of 5. That's my expectation. If we don't, we have no right to be in the playoffs.

No, I'm saying that with Sammy and Shady, it's a completely different ballgame. But there is no doubt the Bills beat themselves in their absence.

For what as decoys? I don't see a whole lot of production from either player from the start of this season to make that much difference.

McCoy 3 games, 43 rushes for 146 yards, 0 TD's- receiving 7 rec for 83 yards, 1 TD.

Watkins 3 games, 7 rec for 99 yards 1 TD.

That's thru three entire games! Pretty meager stats from my view. Some players have those stats after one game.

Tyrod Taylor playing in only his fourth start looked very shaky in the first half against the Giants, and he had only 36 passing yards the entire first half.

The team had only 2 first downs, 78 total yards from scrimmage at that the half, 42 rushing yards, and 36 passing. Taylor kept hitting receivers three yards behind the first down marker, and they went no further. Missed catches, dropped balls, overthrows. Growing pains!!

17 penalties on Buffalo giving the Giants 7 first downs. Not the good lord nor the gods of football were smiling on Buffalo Sunday.

For what as decoys? I don't see a whole lot of production from either player from the start of this season to make that much difference.

McCoy 3 games, 43 rushes for 146 yards, 0 TD's- receiving 7 rec for 83 yards, 1 TD.

Watkins 3 games, 7 rec for 99 yards 1 TD.

That's thru three entire games! Pretty meager stats from my view. Some players have those stats after one game.

Tyrod Taylor playing in only his fourth start looked very shaky in the first half against the Giants, and he had only 36 passing yards the entire first half.

The team had only 2 first downs, 78 total yards from scrimmage at that the half, 42 rushing yards, and 36 passing. Taylor kept hitting receivers three yards behind the first down marker, and they went no further. Missed catches, dropped balls, overthrows. Growing pains!!

17 penalties on Buffalo giving the Giants 7 first downs. Not the good lord nor the gods of football were smiling on Buffalo Sunday.

Decoys at least.