Garbage Time

Sorry to bring up New England game one more time, but I am sick of all the references posted in the media about TT's "garbage time" rally. I live in New England and know that many Pats fans were worried he was pulling a "Tom Brady like" rally out of his ###. Anyway, I was excited at the 4 minute mark and even down to the last gasp that we might somehow pull the game out.

As Bills fans, we have seen way to much of last minute rallies that killed us and a few we still enjoy (Houston playoff game). For those of you who were around in '86 when Kelly first came to the Bills, there were several rallies that fell just short. I'm hoping Tyrod is the start of something like that, but with a little fast forward on the wins while we can afford this defense.

I think it's somewhere in between. There was some garbage time play, but agree the game was way to close for NE to just play it out. NE also doesn't seem to be a team to just play it out, they seem to prefer burying teams and keeping their foot on the gas.

There's a big difference between coming from way back and a rally just falling short. Often there's a reason it fell just short because the other team wasn't going to let it go further. Rally's falling short often give false hope. But I do agree this one was somewhere in the middle I think.

BB's arrogance allowed the Bills to get back in the game. Going for it on fourth down instead of taking field goals. Throwing instead of running the ball and the clock. BB wanted to make a statement with a huge blowout and it backfired. If he was smarter

NE* would have won by 20 plus.

That said I'm glad it happened and I don't think BB or their defense was happy with letting any team score three TDs in the fourth and get back in the game. In the the end I think BB thinks about that and not the win and kicks himself.

How can it be garbage time when we are down by 8 driving down the field, and if we convert, we tie the game with a 2 pt conversion. The game was still winnable so I agree with you. Most likely we don't score and get a 2 pt conversion, but it's not as if we were down by 14. There was also at least a minute left in the game when TT threw the tipped pass.

That ball was a little to high for SWAT and a little too low for Woods. It's too bad TT didn't see Woods as he was another 5 yards down field, wide oipen, and had running room to take it down field.

Moving onto the Fish.

Garbage time is only garbage time if the game is out of reach IMO.

Clearly, when a team pulls to within 5 points with 4 minute remaining, it's still a game. Further, when that same team has the ball with more than a minute remaining and it's still a 1-score game, then you aren't in garbage time.

If folks want to say that NE let up and that's why Buffalo came back, that's fine. I disagree, as I believe they had zero intention of letting Buffalo put together 3 TD drives in a row.

Garbage time is only garbage time if the game is out of reach IMO.

Clearly, when a team pulls to within 5 points with 4 minute remaining, it's still a game. Further, when that same team has the ball with more than a minute remaining and it's still a 1-score game, then you aren't in garbage time.

If folks want to say that NE let up and that's why Buffalo came back, that's fine. I disagree, as I believe they had zero intention of letting Buffalo put together 3 TD drives in a row.

i think Belichik wanted to score 50+ and expected the Bills to lie down. The Pats offense was brilliant that day, as was his coaching, but his arrogance showed and it almost bit him in the A**. Edited by YoloinOhio

i think Belichik wanted to score 50+ and expected the Bills to lie down. The Pats offense was brilliant that day, as was his coaching, but his arrogance showed and it almost bit him in the A**.

That could be the case...I just assumed that they continued to throw because it was by far the most likely path to getting 1st downs and keeping the clock moving. I have no idea, however, why they'd throw two deep balls on 4th-and-1 plays, and then not go for it (QB sneak style) on 4th-and-inches inside the Buffalo 15 to end the game, opting instead to kick the FG.

i think Belichik wanted to score 50+ and expected the Bills to lie down. The Pats offense was brilliant that day, as was his coaching, but his arrogance showed and it almost bit him in the A**.

I think that's EXACTLY what happened and why it might have been one of the best wins ever, had we pulled it off. Belichick is well known for running up the score and trying to rub it in. (Two straight shots to Chandler in the end zone?) It's the Patriot* Way and goes hand in hand with the cheating. To have that backfire and see him lose because of his own ginormous ego would have been one for the ages! I'm hoping he becomes the Pete Rose of football. (I'm a firm believer Deflate Gate did not originate with Brady.)

That going for it on fourth down at the 48 definitely came back to bite him in the ass :lol:

That Patriot defense just isn't all that good, they are ranked 31st in the NFL right now. Re watch the game, and you should notice that after the start of the 4th qtr the Patriots never came after Taylor with more then four, and thus went into a prevent type defense, and that almost bit him in the ass too.

The film don't lie. I didn't see any let up in defensive pressure by Pats* in the last 12 minutes of the game.

I think at one point early in the fourth quarter, it was definitely garbage time. In very uncharacteristic fashion, it was THE PATS who slipped. They kept passing but stopped executing. Even though it was a loss, I think the 3TD rally showed its not the same old bills. The bills of old would indeed have let the pats score another 2-3 TDs.

It stopped being garbage time real quick when they made it two possessions.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

Sorry to bring up New England game one more time, but I am sick of all the references posted in the media about TT's "garbage time" rally. I live in New England and know that many Pats fans were worried he was pulling a "Tom Brady like" rally out of his ###. Anyway, I was excited at the 4 minute mark and even down to the last gasp that we might somehow pull the game out.

As Bills fans, we have seen way to much of last minute rallies that killed us and a few we still enjoy (Houston playoff game). For those of you who were around in '86 when Kelly first came to the Bills, there were several rallies that fell just short. I'm hoping Tyrod is the start of something like that, but with a little fast forward on the wins while we can afford this defense.

i was JUST going to respond to Sully's article about that. Referring to a 4th quarter comeback as garbage time is so ridiculous.

There was no garbage time in this game, the Patriots did not alter their game plan one iota, they were just stymied a bit at the end which allowed the Bills to get back in it. Garbage time games are easy to spot, this one gave me no impression that it was.

Tim-

That play kills me because you see it happen all the time and goes without being flagged.

I don't know...by the letter of the rules, face-guarding is NOT a penalty. However, every time it happens in a game, regardless of whether or not there's contact, they call it DPI. Every time. It's frustrating, but players need to know that and react appropriately by making the effort to get their head turned around in those situations. Odds are, had Bradham done that, it wouldn't have been called.

I don't like it either, but thems the breaks, ya know?

The film don't lie. I didn't see any let up in defensive pressure by Pats* in the last 12 minutes of the game.

From Joe Buscagula All-22 review on Tyrod Taylor.

26) QB Tyrod Taylor

"The blue print of how to stop Taylor is now out, and it’s on him to prove teams he can overcome the latest defensive scheme against him and regain some success for the team. On the first drive of the game, Taylor through short passes for yards after catch, and was able to use his legs. The drive resulted in a touchdown, and then the Patriots adjusted. They decided to take the short throws away from Taylor, kept eight-to-nine players in the box to take away his mobility, and dared him to throw it deep. Really, the Bills quarterback was just hesitant to do so, as it’s evidenced by the two tweets below:

As the game went on, the Bills had to sling the ball around, and the Patriots backed off their game plan with the contest — at that point, at least — well in hand. Taylor will see a similar defense against the Miami Dolphins, and now it’s on him to correct the problem. If he doesn’t, it could very well be a festering problem. It’s still a bit too early for that, though.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-all-22-review-grading-bills-vs-patriots

While Taylor did struggle, there were still some positive takeaways from the game, especially when the Patriots built up a lead and allowed Taylor to have more time in the pocket. While this may not seem like much, Taylor showed plenty of arm talent which will be critical to the Bills' success moving forward.

http://profootballspot.com/index.html/nfl/afc-east/buffalo-bills/buffalo-bills-all-22-review-week-2-vs-patriots-r12858/

Just the highlights will tell the story and notice how many the Patriots are sending after the score is 37-13. Pats rushed only four on the Woods TD, and only rushed with three on the Taylor run for a TD. Then the Pats defense only four on the Watkins TD. The Patriots changed their defensive game plan in the 4th QTR,and only rushed 4, and sometimes 3 while sending more into coverage. They stopped stacking the box with 8/ 9 /10 which gave Taylor more time in the pocket.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/0ap3000000534033/Patriots-vs-Bills-broadcast-highlights

Edited by Nihilarian

I don't know...by the letter of the rules, face-guarding is NOT a penalty. However, every time it happens in a game, regardless of whether or not there's contact, they call it DPI. Every time. It's frustrating, but players need to know that and react appropriately by making the effort to get their head turned around in those situations. Odds are, had Bradham done that, it wouldn't have been called.

I don't like it either, but thems the breaks, ya know?

That's the rub though. It's not a penalty but they make it one based on their own perception.

It was garbage time. We looked like crap we played like crap and they got lucky when NE had a comfortable lead and sat back on it for a while.

Gonna be interesting to see how they play on the road in Miami because if they look like they did against NE I'll never recover from it.

NE was the game that was going to prove to me if things were gonna be different. I take no solace in garbage time.

That's the rub though. It's not a penalty but they make it one based on their own perception.

Yep...I hate it too. Still think that defenders have to adjust to it though.

It was garbage time. We looked like crap we played like crap and they got lucky when NE had a comfortable lead and sat back on it for a while.

Gonna be interesting to see how they play on the road in Miami because if they look like they did against NE I'll never recover from it.

NE was the game that was going to prove to me if things were gonna be different. I take no solace in garbage time.

Suppose Sammy makes that great catch on the last INT. Buffalo has the ball at the 50 with about 50 seconds left and 2nd-and-10 (after a clock kill), down one score.

Garbage time?

Ironically, as bad as our D was getting shredded it was respect for our D that prevented NE from going ball control to run out the clock. They could not slow the game down out of respect for our D. That's how we got back in the.game.

Assume by this you mean that NE figured they couldn't run the ball...in which case I agree.

It is fun to say though.....Tyrod got his stats in Gaaaaah-bige time.

But yeah, pats never slowed up, they just happened to turn it over and blow 2 4th conversions trying to run up the score.

Had they flipped to burning clock I'm betting to would have ended a 3 score win.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Tyrod Taylor is getting a lot of criticism for his pocket presence...to me (who never actually played the game), that sounds like a very fixable problem. Either way, I figured there were going to be peaks and valleys as he settles into the starting job. At the end of the day, they lost to the Super Bowl champs, while Miami lost to the Jaguars.

I think the Bills do Miami fans a favor and beat the hell out of the Dolphins, thus paving the way for a mid-season firing of Joe Philbin.

Edited by SonofaK-Gun

every comeback starts with garbage time but if you pull off the win then they don't talk about it. The offense put up 32 points could have been at 37 had then converted the extra points. Its a stat for weak morning show people who can't throw a pillow across the room.

To me garbage time doesn't start until you can't possibly come back, that's the point. Let's say your down 45-10 with 2 minutes left and drive down for a touchdown- that's garbage time. How can it be garbage time if you can win?

That going for it on fourth down at the 48 definitely came back to bite him in the ass :lol:

That Patriot defense just isn't all that good, they are ranked 31st in the NFL right now. Re watch the game, and you should notice that after the start of the 4th qtr the Patriots never came after Taylor with more then four, and thus went into a prevent type defense, and that almost bit him in the ass too.

and the score at the start of the 4th quarter was 37-13. The Pats only rushing 4 and in the prevent, yeah i'd consider TT 4th quarter doings to be "garbage time stats" it's just that the Pats, who controlled the flow of the game allowed "garbage time" to begin a little too early.

When it counted earlier in the game and the Bills needed to answer any one of the Pats scores TT had no answer. TT only got yards and scores when the Pats allowed it.

That said, go TT and kill the Dolphins.

Edited by old school

I think BB knew it was still a game and did not deviate from his game plan. he's too smart for that.. stupid BB Stupid Brady!!! I hate U!!!!

Go Bills!!!

I think you are right that BB did not deviate from his game plan but I disagree that he felt it was still a game.

I think his game plan was to run up the score and try and embarrass the Bills. Evidenced by going for it on 4th downs, Brady having 59 pass attempts and only having 10 rushes(end arounds not included).