Bills Trade Cassel to Cowboys

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4745458/in-trade-for-matt-cassel-cowboys-make-sure-they-are-covered

The Bills sent a 2017 seventh-round pick to the Cowboys for a 2017 fifth-round pick as well, NFL Media's Albert Breer reported, according to a Cowboys team source.

The Cowboys will get Cassel and the Bills' seventh round pick in 2017 for their fifth rounder in 2017. Because of previous trades the Cowboys did not have a fifth-, sixth- or seventh-round pick in 2016 to offer up to Buffalo.

The move also comes with a salary-cap crunch as well. Cassel makes $2 million, which is a lot more than the $660,000 Weeden makes, and can earn another $2.15 million in playing time and playoff incentives.

Any other quarterback would have cost far, far less and possibly not offered as much protection in case Weeden gets hurt or does not play well with Romo missing at least the next seven games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4745458/in-trade-for-matt-cassel-cowboys-make-sure-they-are-covered

The Bills sent a 2017 seventh-round pick to the Cowboys for a 2017 fifth-round pick as well, NFL Media's Albert Breer reported, according to a Cowboys team source.

The Cowboys will get Cassel and the Bills' seventh round pick in 2017 for their fifth rounder in 2017. Because of previous trades the Cowboys did not have a fifth-, sixth- or seventh-round pick in 2016 to offer up to Buffalo.

The move also comes with a salary-cap crunch as well. Cassel makes $2 million, which is a lot more than the $660,000 Weeden makes, and can earn another $2.15 million in playing time and playoff incentives.

Any other quarterback would have cost far, far less and possibly not offered as much protection in case Weeden gets hurt or does not play well with Romo missing at least the next seven games.

Another contract extension coming? Bradham?

I think it's stupid to unload Cassel! We may need him!!! If and when TT goee down, I think Matt had the experience to not get us in trouble! AND, all we got were 2017 draft picks. How about something now????

We'll be fine. Just because we traded our backup QB (who we basically cut to begin with) doesnt mean the sky is falling. Doug wouldnt have shopped him if he thought we really needed him.

Should have gotten more as we had Cowboys by the short hairs. They needed someone with experience to hold the fort and give them a chance till Romo returns. Should have done better.

Getting anything for Cassel was a coup.

Has anyone checked on Vic Carucci tonight? He might be inconsolable.

FireChan too.

And of course cassel as insurance for 6 months

That and veteran guidance for Tyrod/EJ.

@mikerodak

End result of Bills’ trades with Vikings, Cowboys involving Matt Cassel:

Gave up: ’15 5th, ‘16 7th, ’17 7th

Gained: Tony Steward, 2017 5th

Well conidering we cut him before we traded him, we basically get those picks for free.

Well, if we were going to get rid of a QB, Cassell would have been my first choice to go. Doesn't see like we got all that much for the guy, but what do I know?

The team literally outright cut him a few weeks ago, and brought him back on the cheap.

A 5th for Meh is a steal.

At least the Cowboys have a good enough line to protect his statuesque arse

@jchenelly: Matt Cassel was angry after he was told Tyrod Taylor won the starting position. It was his representative who broke the news to Jay Glazer.

@jchenelly: @jhanley2020 In the end, Buffalo was still the best opportunity for him and his family. He expected more interest than there was then.

@jchenelly: Matt Cassel was angry after he was told Tyrod Taylor won the starting position. It was his representative who broke the news to Jay Glazer.

@jchenelly: @jhanley2020 In the end, Buffalo was still the best opportunity for him and his family. He expected more interest than there was then.

Chenelly only brings straight fire.

Whats amazing about getting a 7th round pick? He should have been able to get more with the Cowboys being nowhere for several weeks at QB...

Not a 7th round pick, a 5th round pick two seasons from now. The Bills GM is amazing! I agree, it seems like the Cowboys were a team in need and the Bills didn't get much in return. In a few weeks, with few more QB's going down with injuries, Cassel would have been worth more. I wonder if the ghost of Buddy Nix woke up and got snuck back into One Bills Drive.

Did you even bother to read before getting upset? You think he only got a 7th?

OK I read a different article...the one article said it was a 7th round pick...so we get a 5th and give them our 7th...not bad I guess...recouped our 5th we trade to get him...

Not a 7th round pick, a 5th round pick two seasons from now. The Bills GM is amazing! I agree, it seems like the Cowboys were a team in need and the Bills didn't get much in return. In a few weeks, with few more QB's going down with injuries, Cassel would have been worth more. I wonder if the ghost of Buddy Nix woke up and got snuck back into One Bills Drive.

Doesn't matter how many QB's go down. Cassel isn't worth much. You think someone will give a 3rd rounder or something like that for him. Makes no sense. You still need to be realistic. Now if Cassel was considered a very good QB, then the price goes up. Cassel doesn't know the system, doesn't have Dez... he won't play unless it's totally a mess in Dallas.

On the face of it, this trade makes little sense. Given that the 5th we're getting is two years from now, Cassel alone should have been plenty. Why would we have to also cough up a 7th? I hope the early reports are wrong, because Cassel and a 7th for a 5th two years from now does not seem like a good trade.

The 7th is also 2 seasons from now.

But still, why give up that seventh at all?

Because Dallas (or any team for that matter) still has to get a body back in return, and it likely was a deal breaker if we didn't throw it in. It's almost impossible to tell where the two teams will be in the standings after 2016 and how strong or weak the back end of the 2017 draft will be. If the later rounds are strong, there is a better chance that those two picks could be a wash. If it's weak, that extra 7th makes for good currency to possibly move around.

If you don't think that getting a 5th for Cassel is a good deal, you are WOEFULLY misinformed about the general draft pick trade value for players.

Only a team in desperate QB need would even remotely consider giving up a 5th for him. The Bills got MAXIMUM value.

And saved a few mil to boot!