Bills cuts - round 2

YoloinOhio

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

??

@Gil_Brandt: #Rams cut OT Isaiah Battle, the only player picked in this year's supplemental draft. They lose 5th-rounder in 2016 draft.

Intriguing. Not a roster guy but maybe Rex can get him to join their PS.

That larger practice squad should allow teams to carry less OL on their 53 man roster.

Said this in another thread......but the last OL is often the worst football player at his job on either side of the ball so if you can get by with 7 or 8 instead of 8 or 9.....and then have a bunch of them on the PS to elevate the following week if there is an injury.....that is REAL handy.

That 8th guy is going to suck either way.

I'm giving Goodwin three games to prove that he's anything but useless.... Andre davis should have gotten his spot, as far as I'm concerned.

And how long are you going to give him to actually complete three games?

O-line is the one positions where starters will play the entire game so agree depth isn't as big of a concern barring injury. But going as light as 7 or 8 is a bit of as risk for dealing with in-game injuries. Can one of our five TE's play line to finish up a game?? Do we send the injured OL player to the locker room and have them switch jerseys with a PS play and send him back out there to finish the game, a sudden injury healing. (You have to wonder if that's ever been tried, may have been an Al Davis trick) Plus PS players can't have more than what is it 4 years experience, so not exactly getting strong depth there. I agree that it's a good way to develop a young guy say like a Battle who may be a year away from being able to make the roster, but if all of a sudden you have two lineman get injured week one, you're in trouble the next week having to activate one off the PS. I'd like and kind of expect with their still open slot to see them sign a somewhat experienced interior lineman.

Intriguing. Not a roster guy but maybe Rex can get him to join their PS.

That larger practice squad should allow teams to carry less OL on their 53 man roster.

Said this in another thread......but the last OL is often the worst football player at his job on either side of the ball so if you can get by with 7 or 8 instead of 8 or 9.....and then have a bunch of them on the PS to elevate the following week if there is an injury.....that is REAL handy.

That 8th guy is going to suck either way.

O-line is the one positions where starters will play the entire game so agree depth isn't as big of a concern barring injury. But going as light as 7 or 8 is a bit of as risk for dealing with in-game injuries. Can one of our five TE's play line to finish up a game?? Do we send the injured OL player to the locker room and have them switch jerseys with a PS play and send him back out there to finish the game, a sudden injury healing. (You have to wonder if that's ever been tried, may have been an Al Davis trick) Plus PS players can't have more than what is it 4 years experience, so not exactly getting strong depth there. I agree that it's a good way to develop a young guy say like a Battle who may be a year away from being able to make the roster, but if all of a sudden you have two lineman get injured week one, you're in trouble the next week having to activate one off the PS. I'd like and kind of expect with their still open slot to see them sign a somewhat experienced interior lineman.

I agree it is better to have talent in reserve but I think once you get past the top 7 guys on NFL rosters most OL's are just a bunch of big, unathletic dudes who are mostly interchangeable. Does it make a difference if a Cyril Richardson is on the 53 or on the PS? If they gotta play you need a good OL coach and a good OC to make the situation manageable......and I think they have those. Joe D and Chan made a living with PS OL during the Ralph is cheap days. Hell Colin Brown actually looked serviceable when Joe D was here. It's not as much about talent on the OL as it is on the DL.

The comments made in the past year by think it was Henderson and also EJ makes it sound like the coaching staff of the Marrone era was about D-2 college level. Or may have been the coaches were fine, but Marrone's interference in giving different instructions than the positional coaches was the issue.

Probably wouldn't be a bad move to bring Richardson back to the PS assuming he doesn't first sign elsewhere as at least he does know the system. But would still like to see them sign on actual experienced preferably inside guy for the active roster

I agree it is better to have talent in reserve but I think once you get past the top 7 guys on NFL rosters most OL's are just a bunch of big, unathletic dudes who are mostly interchangeable. Does it make a difference if a Cyril Richardson is on the 53 or on the PS? If they gotta play you need a good OL coach and a good OC to make the situation manageable......and I think they have those. Joe D and Chan made a living with PS OL during the Ralph is cheap days. Hell Colin Brown actually looked serviceable when Joe D was here. It's not as much about talent on the OL as it is on the DL.

Bye Matt

@viccarucci: Former #Bills QB Matt Simms joining #Falcons' practice squad. Had interest from multiple teams, including #Texans.

For a guy like Simms, I think the ultimate goal is to be a no. 2 or maybe a no. 3 on the active roster for a team that has a weak no. 2.

If that is the goal, I think he was better off in buffalo or with the Texans. The falcons have TJ Yates, who I think is a pretty good backup. I doubt Simms ever gets of PS there.

For a guy like Simms, I think the ultimate goal is to be a no. 2 or maybe a no. 3 on the active roster for a team that has a weak no. 2.

If that is the goal, I think he was better off in buffalo or with the Texans. The falcons have TJ Yates, who I think is a pretty good backup. I doubt Simms ever gets of PS there.

Falcons cut Grossman and Yates