Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations about Tonight's Game

Rapid Reaction - 10 Observation about Tonight's Game

10) It was a class move and it brought a tear to my eye when the Bills dedicated the broadcast booth to the late, great Van Miller.

For many of us Van's voice will forever be the one that we equate with the greatest plays in team history.

One word for the Pegulas for honoring Miller - Vantastic!

9) Ronald Darby had a "Welcome to the NFL, Rookie" night as the Panthers targeted him on many occasions and he was burned for a TD.

Still, I thought the first-year CB showed good form for the most part and I believe that he will learn from tonight's game and be a better player as a result.

8) Matt Cassel was, well Matt Cassel-like. The veteran signal caller completed 7-8 for 45 yards. He threw a bunch of short passes and showed efficiency in the pocket.

If he ends up winning the QB battle, the Bills can win using his "dunk and plunk" style of passing, but man there just isn't any sizzle on that steak.

7) EJ had the biggest play of the evening, a beautiful 51-yard bomb to Deonte Thompson that put the Bills up by 7 late in the 3rd quarter. He finished 4-8 for 77 yards and wasn't helped by some drops from his TEs, which seemed to really tick-off Rex Ryan in the post-game presser.

Still there seems to be a pall around EJ that I'm not sure he'll be able to shake. At least he kept himself in the conversation tonight.

6) Tyrod Taylor has that "it" factor. While he had pedestrian passing numbers for the night, 5-9 for 49 yards, his legs provided many thrilling moments as he rushed 6 times for 47 and 7.8 YPR.

He led the team to two TD drives and at times looked like Michael Vick in his prime when he took off and made defensive linemen look like park statues in the wake of his high-powered jets.

He will get the start in next week's game against the Browns. Another dynamic performance could propel him past Cassel in the QB competition.

5) Karlos Williams looks like a real gamer. He ran 14 times for 40 yards and plunged the ball in for his first NFL TD. His upright running style reminds one of the great Eric Dickerson.

Bryce Brown's career in Buffalo is in real jeopardy.

4) John Miller looked good, really good. The 3rd rounder from Louisville has been drawing rave reviews since way back in mini-camp and it's easy to see why. He opened up some big holes in the running game and was stout in pass protection.

It appears, at this early juncture, that the interior of the Bills OL is light years ahead of where it was last year at this time.

3) Admittedly, I knew very little about TE Matthew Mulligan before this game. I hope to keep learning more as I liked what I saw from the former Tennessee Titan.

He blocked well and caught both balls targeted his way. Chris Gragg is another vet firmly on the hot seat.

2) It may surprise some of the pundits ripping Rex Ryan and the Bills for picking up IK "Jawbreaker" Enemkpali, but the kid looked big, fast and strong tonight. He had a couple of solo tackles and a QB hit.

It's just an early return, but IK might be OK for the Bills and not just an excuse for Rex to rattle the cage of Gang Green.

1) Speaking of Rex Ryan, I was actually touched by the fact that he seemed so pissed that the 3rd stringers lost the lead late and gifted a one point loss to the Panthers.

Not that I care that the Bills lost, nor do I think Rex should worry himself about such a trivial manner. It's more that I love the passion that he shows.

After the two-faced lip service given the "Bills' Way" by Doug Marrone, it is truly refreshing to have a Head Coach that really cares, down to his bones, about winning and establishing a winning culture around his team.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, Rex and I have a feeling those wins will pile up when it really matters.

Next up is a visit by the Browns at SJF before a Thursday night tilt between the two Lake Erie foes. Should be a fun week, can't wait.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10) It was a class move and it brought a tear to my eye when the Bills dedicated the broadcast booth to the late, great Van Miller.

For many of us Van's voice will forever be the one that we equate with the greatest plays in team history.

9) Ronald Darby had a "Welcome to the NFL, Rookie" night as the Panthers targeted him on many occasions and he was burned for a TD.

Still, I thought the first-year CB showed good form for the most part and I believe that he will learn from tonight's game and be a better player as a result.

8) Matt Cassel was, well Matt Cassel-like. The veteran signal caller completed 7-8 for 45 yards. He threw a bunch of short passes and showed efficiency in the pocket.

If he ends up winning the QB battle, the Bills can win using his "dunk and plunk" style of passing, but man there just isn't any sizzle on that steak.

7) EJ had the biggest play of the evening, a beautiful 51-yard bomb to Deonte Thompson that put the Bills up by 7 late in the 3rd quarter. He finished 4-8 for 77 yards and wasn't helped by some drops from his TEs, which seemed to really tick-off Rex Ryan in the post-game presser.

Still there seems to be a pall around EJ that I'm not sure he'll be able to shake. At least he kept himself in the conversation tonight.

6) Tyrod Taylor has that "it" factor. While he had pedestrian passing numbers for the night, 5-9 for 49 yards, his legs provided many thrilling moments as he rushed 6 times for 47 and 7.8 YPR.

He led the team to two TD drives and at times looked like Michael Vick in his prime when he took off and made defensive linemen look like park statues in the wake of his high-powered jets.

He will get the start in next week's game against the Browns. Another dynamic performance could propel him past Cassel in the QB competition.

5) Karlos Williams looks like a real gamer. He ran 14 times for 40 yards and plunged the ball in for his first NFL TD. His upright running style reminds one of the great Eric Dickerson.

4) John Miller looked good, really good. The 3rd rounder from Louisville has been drawing rave reviews since way back in mini-camp and it's easy to see why. He opened up some big holes in the running game and was stout in pass protection.

It appears, at this early juncture, that the interior of the Bills OL is light years ahead of where it was last year at this time.

3) Admittedly, I knew very little about TE Matthew Mulligan before this game. I hope to keep learning more as I liked what I saw from the former Tennessee Titan.

He blocked well and caught both balls targeted his way. Chris Gragg is another vet firmly on the hot seat.

2) It may surprise some of the pundits ripping Rex Ryan and the Bills for picking up IK "Jawbreaker" Enemkpali, but the kid looked big, fast and strong tonight. He had a couple of solo tackles and a QB hit.

It's just an early return, but IK might be OK for the Bills and not just an excuse for Rex to rattle the cage of Gang Green.

1) Speaking of Rex Ryan, I was actually touched by the fact that he seemed so pissed that the 3rd stringers lost the lead late and gifted a one point loss to the Panthers.

Not that I care that the Bills lost, nor do I think Rex should worry himself about such a trivial manner. It's more that I love the passion that he shows.

After the two-faced lip service given the "Bills' Way" by Doug Marrone, it is truly refreshing to have a Head Coach that really cares, down to his bones, about winning and establishing a winning culture around his team.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, Rex and I have a feeling those wins will pile up when it really matters.

Next up is a visit by the Browns at SJF before a Thursday night tilt between the two Lake Erie foes. Should be a fun week, can't wait.

And that was without Incognito starting at LG.

Sorry, but I gotta disagree with you on this point. I was very discouraged with his display in the passing game.

Funny, over the past several years during the preseason I would say to myself, "The offense looks fit for the morgue...but it's just preseason so keep your head up."

After today's preseason game I'm saying, "Hey the offense looked alive...but it's a preseason game so keep things on an even keel."

After years of being disappointed I want to keep myself emotionally balanced, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't encouraged after today's game. Did they light it up? No, but they looked like an NFL offense for a change. With our defense that's enough.

Funny, over the past several years during the preseason I would say to myself, "The offense looks fit for the morgue...but it's just preseason so keep your head up."

After today's preseason game I'm saying, "Hey the offense looked alive...but it's a preseason game so keep things on an even keel."

After years of being disappointed I want to keep myself emotionally balanced, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't encouraged after today's game. Did they light it up? No, but they looked like an NFL offense for a change. With our defense that's enough.

Its a more interesting and alive than the marrone "2 runs stuffed up the middle, 3rd and long sacked" scheme

I was most impressed by Tyrod, then EJ, and i expected Cassel's safe play calling. Like ChevyVanMiller said, "no sizzle on the steak." I agree.

The OL did look impressive overall

The Defense did good, but unfortunately Darby did get burned by former teammate Kelvin Benjamin. I expected the Panthers to take the size advantage over Darby.

Hopefully Tyord starts next game and EJ follows. May i add EJ's 51 yd TD was the best throw of the night by any QB.

I actually liked Bryce Browns performance and think he should stick, as long as he doesn't put the ball on the ground.

So everyone has been saying since his debut in Philly. I like him too, but fumbling even in minimal contact situations is alarming.

I have had season tickets since 97 and this was probably only the third or 4th preaseason game I have been too. I get home from work all set to take my 6 year old daughter & she is in tears when I get home saying she hates football & doesn't want to go. So much for that idea, so I looked at my 11 year old son & said lets go. Only stayed a half so I can't really comment on the second half but here was my take.

1.) This T Taylor's game to lose. He is clearly going to be the front runner after tonight. Chevy phrased it perfect, he looks like young M Vick. You could tell he was just 2 steps faster than anybody on the field. He is going to miss some throws but it is not from a lack of arm strength, I hope he wins the job because...

2.) Cassell is what he is. Checkdown checkdown checkdown. The first drive I believe when they were driving he had a TE down the seam. Would of been a tough throw but a good QB tries that throw. He checked down to the flat for a 4 yard gain on 3rd & 8. It is going to be very aggravating to watch this offense with Cassel under center. Maybe the smart play, but I would rather go with TT.+ I could finally buy a jersey that will never be outdated since my last name is Taylor.

3.) I hate to say it but I think either Boobie Dixon or Fred is getting cut. I thought Williams looked really good, punishing back. & I think they would be crazy to cut Bryce brown. Kid has got to much upside. Can't see them keeping all 4 backs. One has got to go.

4.) This defense is going to be really good. I can't wait to Rex starts playing around with the blitz packages, just going to be a lot of fun to watch.

5.) This team is loaded with talent. It is evident when you watch them play live. I honestly think they have top 5 talented rosters in the league.

6.) I see good things happening this year. Sky is the limit. Haven't been this optimistic since the last 90's.

Edited by Gordio

Thanks for the thoughts Chevy, but I have a few Objections, or differing views . . .

9) Ronald Darby . . . I sure hope Leodis is back soon, and I hope they had a fire extinguisher in his locker after the game, because he got torched,

6) Tyrod Taylor . . . Tyron brings excitement, but QBs like Taylor become the focal point of the offense, and rarely utilize the skills of the skill players around them. He is not a pocket passer, and this team needs most a pocket passer. If he starts, it will only be a matter of time before Sammy, Percy, R Woods, Clay revolt, because they will be reduced to head-on-a-swival blockers far more than dazzling route runners

5) Karlos Williams , . . yes, he did look good, very good! . . . But so did Bryce Brown, not sure who you were watching on that one, to me, he seemed the most explosive of all our backs last evening

3) Matthew Mulligan . . . I could not follow his blocking, but didn't he have a drop, and 2 penalties. I was not impressed at all from what i saw

2) Enemkpali . . . I watched, didn't seem to add anything more than any other career back-up, he got flattened by a wide receiver 50 lbs smaller than him (lack of awareness, and not just emotionally and socially) . . . I seriously question if he is worth the risk, in my quick impressions I see little reward potential

My two cents . . .

Edited by CSBill

6) Tyrod Taylor . . . Tyron bring excitement, but QBs like Taylor become the focal point of the offense, and rarely utilize the skills of the skill players around him. He is not a pocket passer, and this team needs most a pocket passer. If he starts, it will only be a matter of time before Sammy, Percy, R Woods, Clay revolt, because they will be reduced to head-on-a-swival blockers far more than dazzling route runners.

Thank you. Tyrod Taylor has serious limitations as a NFL QB. Buffalo Bills fans better realize this pretty quick.

Thank you. Tyrod Taylor has serious limitations as a NFL QB. Buffalo Bills fans better realize this pretty quick.

It's not clear yet whether he can be more patient in the pocket, but I agree he's got some proving to do. If not defenses will adjust pretty quickly. One trick ponied don't last in the NFL. For example on the big play EJ hit, you can bet TT would have taken off running instead and missed the opportunity. His next start will be important, hope the browns defense sends a spy on him and dares him to beat them deep. We need to see if he can do it. His model should be Russell wilson, not vick

I saw a Bills team that looked the most prepared in PS game #1 than I can remember. So quick, start looking for flaws because there is no place for optimism here.

And Brown was very impressive carrying the ball. Fred and Boobie are the ones who should be worried.

Right qb's never improve. Your thoughts on Tyrod after his perfect showing are amusing as well.

It was just one catch, but clay looked downright dangerous. I'm not too concerned about the depth guys who look like drunks picked up from the bar. In the regular season clay will get most of the action

For tyrod- 6 runs is A LOT in limited reps. While athletic, and popping there's got to be concern on that volume. It'll be interesting if he can tighten up his efficiency.

Mulligan seemed meh. Now that we have a versatile starter I wouldn't be surprised with a little diversity of talent behind him and mulligan could fill niche roles.

IK - it's possible I'm guilty of projecting, but while he has some talent there's no way you pick him out of the 90 as a positive without the broken jaw. but he's been here all of 5 minutes so I'm not going to write the book on him in this appearance

I saw a Bills team that looked the most prepared in PS game #1 than I can remember. So quick, start looking for flaws because there is no place for optimism here.

And Brown was very impressive carrying the ball. Fred and Boobie are the ones who should be worried

I'm glad you are in mid season form already

For tyrod- 6 runs is A LOT in limited reps. While athletic, and popping there's got to be concern on that volume. It'll be interesting if he can tighten up his efficiency.

Mulligan seemed meh. Now that we have a versatile starter I wouldn't be surprised with a little diversity of talent behind him and mulligan could fill niche roles.

IK - it's possible I'm guilty of projecting, but while he has some talent there's no way you pick him out of the 90 as a positive without the broken jaw. but he's been here all of 5 minutes so I'm not going to write the book on him in this appearance

I'm glad you are in mid season form already

Go kick your dog.

I agree with all of your other points but not on these. I thought Darby looked just fine. The throws he got beat on were all perfectly thrown balls that ANY CB would have a very hard time breaking up. The two on the sideline were perfectly placed in stride in the WRs arms towards the sideline where they were able to use their body as a sort of shield. Darby was right there on both of them, had his arm in there, and just got beat by tremendous throws and catches. On the TD it was a perfectly thrown back shoulder and high ball to a tall WR. It was perfectly placed and perfectly time. Virtually unstoppable if you don't maul the WR. He really only got beat on 1 play and that was the back shoulder play down the sideline. He ran right past it. But again, that was well timed and perfectly thrown, but he wasn't close on that one. The rest of his targets he was right there, broke up numerous plays, and looked legit for a 1st pre-season game to me.

EJ was 9-10 if you take out the three drops. Even though their replays were crap in the game, I went back in slow mo and watched them all again, they were all flat out drops for NFL WRs and TEs. He saved a huge loss on a bad snap by at least stopping it and the other snap was 100% on Urbik too. He made by far the prettiest throw of the day on the TD, was throwing lasers to the sidelines, and was going through progressions quickly. His throws were right on target, right on time on every throw except the roll out one and on this play he still came out ahead by avoiding that sack. He team just didn't help him out, hopefully those are plays our first and second team make. EJ deserves a shot with 1st teamers with that performance and I would still take him all day over Cassell.

Mulligan..ugh...all is see is the new Lee Smith. He looked slow, goofy, and he even was trying to get a unsportsmanlike penalty after one of the plays getting into it with a guy near the pile when the play was clearly over. No Thank You.

Edited by Mark80

Mostly agreed - but did you not watch Brown when he was in? He looked great (and didn't fumble). Anthony Dixon is the RB hurt by last night.

Say what? Mulligan may have blocked well - but he committed two drive killing penalties and looks helpless as a receiver. The TE's (past Clay) overall were brutal.

EJ Manuel Matt Cassel is and always will be mediocre. Tyrod Taylor has actual NFL game time to evaluate - not last night's pre-season game.

Cassel has nearly identical career stats to Manuel but with 11 years under his belt - not 14 games.

To have a better statistical year than Manuel's last two, Cassel would need to have one of his best years ever. What makes you think that will happen?

Edited by BobChalmers

EJ is starting to grow on me. He was all but left for dead coming into last night. But I like how he didn't get flustered by the Urbik miscues or 3rd teamer drops, kept his cool and took the shot downfield. He's playing with more composure and confidence now. If he puts it all together he has more upside than cassell or Taylor.

Edited by JTSP

This is me exactly right now. :thumbsup:

Pleasantly surprised by how the Offense looked, but keeping that tempered. Still, it has to be encouraging given the reports out of camp that we've heard so far. If nothing else, we're much closer to being "serviceable" than "horrible", and that is a good thing. I chalk that up to Roman and the much improved coaching on that side of the ball. Hopefully it wasnt just first week luck.

I'd really like to see Tyrod with the 1s and EJ with the 2s against Cleveland. And then EJ with the 1s against Pittsburgh.

The defense looks to be everything the hype has told us it will be, and THEN SOME. They are just plain nasty. Cant wait to watch them all year.

Darby had a tough game, there's no denying it. But it would be unfair and inaccurate to neglect to mention it was by design. Left on the field well into the 3rd (4th?) Quarter, and left in one-on-one press coverage with NO Safety help. This was a "sink or swim" teaching moment by Rex. They begged Carolina to pick on him to help develop him, and the Panthers complied.

Ultimately, regardless of the final score, walking away with ZERO injuries makes this was a win for the Bills.

EJ Manuel is and always will be mediocre. Tyrod Taylor has actual NFL game time to evaluate - not last night's pre-season game.

He has minimal game film and what's there shows a guy who throws for 54.3%, 5.7 YPA, 0 TD's and 2 INT's. That's a guy aspiring to mediocre.

This is me exactly right now. :thumbsup:

Pleasantly surprised by how the Offense looked, but keeping that tempered. Still, it has to be encouraging given the reports out of camp that we've heard so far. If nothing else, we're much closer to being "serviceable" than "horrible", and that is a good thing. I chalk that up to Roman and the much improved coaching on that side of the ball. Hopefully it wasnt just first week luck.

I'd really like to see Tyrod with the 1s and EJ with the 2s against Cleveland. And then EJ with the 1s against Pittsburgh.

The defense looks to be everything the hype has told us it will be, and THEN SOME. They are just plain nasty. Cant wait to watch them all year.

Darby had a tough game, there's no denying it. But it would be unfair and inaccurate to neglect to mention it was by design. Left on the field well into the 3rd (4th?) Quarter, and left in one-on-one press coverage with NO Safety help. This was a "sink or swim" teaching moment by Rex. They begged Carolina to pick on him to help develop him, and the Panthers complied.

Ultimately, regardless of the final score, walking away with ZERO injuries makes this was a win for the Bills.

Easley suffered an MCL sprain.

I didn't realize how short Darby is. He needs too play bigger. On the TD he got a face full of Benjamin's jock strap. But he always seemed to be in good position.

Bryce Brown is always a threat to fumble. Something about the way he carries the ball makes me nervous and if a boot like me can see it then the coaches must too.

Manuel has a cannon arm but sometimes all you need is a .22. A short charge on a cannon round isn't very accurate.

Edited by bmur66

I agree with most points, but I have to strongly disagree with Mulligan... I hope he doesn't get a mulligan by this coaching staff and is one of the first cuts... He was horrendous, and had too many mental errors! We have enough blockers, Felton and Connor can jump down and play in-line.... Ta ya mr mulligan.,,,

He ran really well last night

Brown looked great last night. Maybe his career here was in jeopardy because of a numbers situation, but last nights performance only helped him. I think Fred needs to be concerned, maybe Boobie, especially if they miss much more time.

I have had season tickets since 97 and this was probably only the third or 4th preaseason game I have been too. I get home from work all set to take my 6 year old daughter & she is in tears when I get home saying she hates football & doesn't want to go. So much for that idea, so I looked at my 11 year old son & said lets go. Only stayed a half so I can't really comment on the second half but here was my take.

1.) This T Taylor's game to lose. He is clearly going to be the front runner after tonight. Chevy phrased it perfect, he looks like young M Vick. You could tell he was just 2 steps faster than anybody on the field. He is going to miss some throws but it is not from a lack of arm strength, I hope he wins the job because...

2.) Cassell is what he is. Checkdown checkdown checkdown. The first drive I believe when they were driving he had a TE down the seam. Would of been a tough throw but a good QB tries that throw. He checked down to the flat for a 4 yard gain on 3rd & 8. It is going to be very aggravating to watch this offense with Cassel under center. Maybe the smart play, but I would rather go with TT.+ I could finally buy a jersey that will never be outdated since my last name is Taylor.

3.) I hate to say it but I think either Boobie Dixon or Fred is getting cut. I thought Williams looked really good, punishing back. & I think they would be crazy to cut Bryce brown. Kid has got to much upside. Can't see them keeping all 4 backs. One has got to go.

4.) This defense is going to be really good. I can't wait to Rex starts playing around with the blitz packages, just going to be a lot of fun to watch.

5.) This team is loaded with talent. It is evident when you watch them play live. I honestly think they have top 5 talented rosters in the league.

6.) I see good things happening this year. Sky is the limit. Haven't been this optimistic since the last 90's.

This just isn't true. He wasn't checking down, they were just shorter routes.

Overall I liked what I saw last night. However, everyone on Bryce Browns jock needs to realize he looked good against their 3rd defense. I have no confidence in him.

So? He was also playing with backups.