Bills claim the Geno jaw breaker IK

FluffHead

I think this is a Patriot move for the Bills. Pick his brain on the Jets defense for a few weeks, then cut him.

I wish someone would ask a coach or GM if this is anything ever considered. It just doesn't seem to be realistic. If teams could take advantage this way, it would happen all the time, plus teams would be more protective of their systems. Just seems way to easy a way gain an advantage, but I don't think that advantage exists.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if a re-post, but I haven't seen this in the thread as yet:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/13/ik-enemkpali-new-york-jets-geno-smith-punch-buffalo-bills-coaches-nfl

"...a member of the [bills] staff contacted a current Jets player who was in the locker room to get an account of what happened. According to the version some members of the Bills heard, Smith was mouthing off about the debt in the locker room, and Enemkpali told Smith to come over and say it to his face. Smith did, and put his finger in Enemkpali’s face, at which point Enemkpali slugged him."

There's a lot of good stuff in that article everyone should read it (including Dennis Thurman as a young player getting taken into custody and interrogated for hours by the FBI for attempted bank robbery :P )

As soon as he heard the news of the bizarre altercation Tuesday afternoon, Ryan started telling his staff that Enemkpali would look good in a Bills uniform. During a staff meeting Tuesday night, after Enemkpali appeared on the waiver wire the Bills received around 5 p.m., GM Doug Whaley asked Ryan what he thought of the player he coached during his final season in New York.

“All he does is shut his mouth and work,” Ryan told Whaley. “I’ll stand on the table for the guy.”

“Coach, if you say that, if you believe in him like that,” Whaley replied, “I got your back.”

Twenty-four hours later, Enemkpali was a Buffalo Bill.

“We like him,” Thurman said. “We’ll get him here, and we’ll corral him, and we’ll surround him with our veterans and make sure we address the things we need to address. There can be no more missteps. Obviously there is a risk that we are taking, but for the talent he has, at this point we’re willing to gamble.”

In fact, Ryan and company liked Enemkpali enough that he had been on the Bills’ watch list in case he became available after roster cutdowns.
Edited by stevewin

The press conference already happened. There was video:

Classic scene from a clasic movie. RIP.

Skurski tweeted that Rodak shot over 100 for nine holes of golf yesterday.

Even for a non-athlete that's difficult to do -- for example, the first time I ever played I shot 130 -- for 18 holes.

This guy must be a complete dork.

Honestly, i do not remember hearing anyone I know including myself a horrid golfer shooting 100 for nine holes. LOL

There is no indication that it was "a fight both entered into willingly".

Your suggestion that Geno could face a "disorderly conduct charge" is silly.

Gino could be charged with maintaining a disorderly jaw though.

Doesn't change the fact that it wasn't a fight.

Teammate puts his finger in your face, you push him off, swat it away.

Or, you break it off and shove it up Gino's azz.

Touché.

Not with a 20 ft barge pole.

Hey, the league can't suspend IK! Their report didn't correctly take into account Newton's Laws of Motion and the Conservation of Momentum. And I'm pretty sure they didn't explicitly include breaking the jaw of a teammate. It's a sham I tell you, a conspiracy!

I remembered the Steve Smith case from a few years back, and he was suspended by the team for 2 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3516153

At the end of the article they say he won't receive any additional punishment from the league. So it leaves the door open, plus with the current CBA he could get something.

Actually, yes they should. These guys go to work every day just like the rest of us. Anyone who thinks otherwise believes the son of a guy who is best known for a weak punch on the sidelines is going to accomplish anything

No they don't. They play football for lots of money...They're off from February to July.....

I remembered the Steve Smith case from a few years back, and he was suspended by the team for 2 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3516153

At the end of the article they say he won't receive any additional punishment from the league. So it leaves the door open, plus with the current CBA he could get something.

Alas, I was making fun the Brady apologists.

Actually, yes they should. These guys go to work every day just like the rest of us. Anyone who thinks otherwise believes the son of a guy who is best known for a weak punch on the sidelines is going to accomplish anything

No, they shouldn't. Just as Special Operations forces aren't treated the same as Admin troops. There's a reason why the collective responses from ACTUAL NFL FOOTBALL PLAYERS are the polar opposite of the responses on this board from people who've never been elite at anything.

And if you think Buddy Ryan is best known for trying to smack Kevin Gilbride, then you should read more about football history because your perspective is at best uneducated.

I haven't read much about it but it sounds like a young drunk who made a really bad decision. Instant @$$hole, just add alcohol. Let he who is without teenage sin cast the first stone.

I never punched a cop. So I can say he was a dumbass for punching a cop.

I also don't buy that football players punch each other in the face on a regular basis as you say.

If I'm wrong, prove it.

I never punched a cop. So I can say he was a dumbass for punching a cop.

I also don't buy that football players punch each other in the face on a regular basis as you say.

If I'm wrong, prove it.

There are training camp fights every single year. Every single team.

And he didn't "punch a cop" in the traditional sense of the phrase. He punched an uncover cop who was essentially being a bouncer. But don't let that get in the way of how it gets spun. And I never said he wasn't a dumbass. He's a football player. That's almost expected.

Did you know Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard?

There are training camp fights every single year. Every single team.

And when was the last time before Monday broken bones were involved?

A round of fist to cuffs on the practice field in helmets and/or pads is not the same thing as what happened at Jets camp. If it's so common, how come Coach Bowles **** canned IK so fast?

Edited by reddogblitz

No, they shouldn't. Just as Special Operations forces aren't treated the same as Admin troops. There's a reason why the collective responses from ACTUAL NFL FOOTBALL PLAYERS are the polar opposite of the responses on this board from people who've never been elite at anything.

And if you think Buddy Ryan is best known for trying to smack Kevin Gilbride, then you should read more about football history because your perspective is at best uneducated.

I !@#$ing hate agreeing with you.

I good fighter ends it quickly.

IK is a good fighter.

Everyone can use a reset in life.

Breaking Geno Smiths jaw aint good .

But it really aint all that bad considering the circumstances.

may i say we all should always want to be the bigger Man or Woman.

Sometimes sh.t happens. we each should learn from our mistakes right ?

Hope he has learned and focuses on being a good football player. and an even better person.

All the media stuff is just that. stuff..

Go Bills!

And when was the last time before Monday broken bones were involved?

A round of fist to cuffs on the practice field in helmets and/or pads is not the same thing as what happened at Jets camp. If it's so common, how come Coach Bowles **** canned IK so fast?

So now we're debating the end result of said punch? No thanks.

There have been some pretty significant melees that have involved guys swinging their helmets at each other. Football players fight sometimes. It's usually over something stupid that develops over time. This time a backup defensive player knocked out an unpopular and underperforming QB. There's plenty of nuance to the story but at the end of the day it's nowhere near the big deal people are making it out to be and the only reason it's even news is because Smith apparently has a glass chin. I would venture to guess that there have been MANY locker room skirmishes over the years in the NFL that are artfully covered up because "what happens in the room stays in the room". But when your starting QB loses a quarter of the season for a broken jaw, it's pretty tough to keep what happened under wraps.

You should ask Bowles your question because I don't really care. I suspect his response will be the typical "culture change" that every new coach will spew when taking over a losing team that's been having off field issues. If I was betting my money on it, I'd definitely bet the vast majority of the Jets' players wouldn't give a crap about what happened and probably think Geno got what he deserved. Fred Jackson said the message the BILLS got from the signing was that Rex has player's backs. Take from that whatever you want but that's very telling.

I !@#$ing hate agreeing with you.

Being correct doesn't happen often for you. I'd say I can understand it but obviously that's not the case. :nana: