Geno Smith Punched, Jaw Broken, Out 6-10 Wks

Brady camp and NFLPA to file grievance against the Jets for cutting IK for no reason, saying, "Granted, there are rules in place against punching other players, but there is no clear punishment in place for "sucker-punching" someone. You cannot find it in any of the CBA or player conduct rules. So he's innocent, and you cannot cut him for that without telling him before practice if you sucker punch anyone today, we can cut you."

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious, but not good for the Bills since Geno was the worst QB on the roster.

Im dying to know what the fight was about.

Since he is a LB, Geno has been throwing to him all camp. Geno got mad when he dropped a few.

Funny that Cassel is held in so much higher regard than Fitzpatrick. They are both in their 11th season and have very similar stats:

Cassel:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8644/matt-cassel

Fitzpatrick:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

Also, the Jests situation is hilarious.

Edited by BarleyNY

Their coach said it was a sucker punch but the article said Geno put his finger in IK's face so I wouldn't call that a sucker punch. Either way he should get suspended for the year, way to ruin your career idiot.

I think we would have to concede it meets the definition. Geno may have put his finger in IK's face or said something, but we all know there's an NFL locker room etiquette and the correct lockerroom response to a mouthy teammate is to say something back or maybe a shove, at most a jab to the ribs, not a punch to the jaw. I'm sure Geno, the incumbant starting QB, was not expecting a punch to his face by a backup LB.

suck·er punch
noun
noun: sucker punch; plural noun: sucker punches; noun: suckerpunch; plural noun: suckerpunches
  1. 1.
    an unexpected punch or blow.

Brady camp and NFLPA to file grievance against the Jets for cutting IK for no reason, saying, "Granted, there are rules in place against punching other players, but there is no clear punishment in place for "sucker-punching" someone. You cannot find it in any of the CBA or player conduct rules. So he's innocent, and you cannot cut him for that without telling him before practice if you sucker punch anyone today, we can cut you."

That, and the evidence presented clearly does not comport well with the Ideal Punch Law. So proper procedures were clearly not followed and it'll be up to New Commissioner Robert Kraft to overturn the JESTS' punishment and reinstate IK on the JESTS.

I can't recall a guy that blew games in the last 10 minutes as often as Fits.

Great guy, some nice stats to pull you in, but blows it in the clutch. Just so disheartening, that I don't want him anywhere near this team.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think we would have to concede it meets the definition. Geno may have put his finger in IK's face or said something, but we all know there's an NFL locker room etiquette and the correct lockerroom response to a mouthy teammate is to say something back or maybe a shove, at most a jab to the ribs, not a punch to the jaw. I'm sure Geno, the incumbant starting QB, was not expecting a punch to his face by a backup LB.

suck·er punch
noun
noun: sucker punch; plural noun: sucker punches; noun: suckerpunch; plural noun: suckerpunches
  1. 1.
    an unexpected punch or blow.

I don't like that definition. That suggests any punch thrown outside of a boxing ring is a sucker punch.

Blessing in disguise for the Jets. If Fitz flames out, Smith can ease back in as a starter. Fitz does well, the Jets can take their time bringing back Smith. Smith, IMO, is not a starter. He is destined to be a very good back up. Several teams have guys who are really back ups starting.

Blessing in disguise for the Jets. If Fitz flames out, Smith can ease back in as a starter. Fitz does well, the Jets can take their time bringing back Smith. Smith, IMO, is not a starter. He is destined to be a very good back up. Several teams have guys who are really back ups starting.

Geno looked pretty good towards the end of the year last year, and was apparently having a really good training camp so far... he's got the talent, he just needs to make consistently better choices. I don't understand why people are so quick to judge young QBs these days. I blame Luck, RGIII and Wilson.

If Cassel starts, we will have started 3 Qbs that have started for 4 different teams in 3 years. I don't know why we haven't made the playoffs in 15 years. :)

This story is nuts. I always take training camp reports with a grain of salt but he apparently was playing well. This seems like some legal action might be coming.

You can't get blood from a stone though. I doubt the puncher has much to give.

Geno looked pretty good towards the end of the year last year, and was apparently having a really good training camp so far... he's got the talent, he just needs to make consistently better choices. I don't understand why people are so quick to judge young QBs these days. I blame Luck, RGIII and Wilson.

Watching that Miami game in Week 17, it seemed like it had started to fall into place a little for him. Couple of poor decisions and a fumble but improvement.

I'm a fan of the game and more good players makes the game better. I'm a little gutted for Geno, as unpopular as that might be.

In the Gang Green thread they are saying there are reports in the media now that Geno owed the guy money (some said 1K)