Jadeveon Clowney still not ready to play - on PUP list

This guy isn't a bust. Sammy is, though. :bag:

Has one human being on planet earth called Sammy Watkins a bust ever?

I heard he was also put on the MUP list.

(Mentally Unable to Perform)

100% Bust

Imo

The guy looked like a complete beast when he was in there last year. My interpretation of a bust is a player who can't hack it, not someone who falls victim to unfortunate injuries. Give the guy a minute, would ya?

Isn't the surgery he had basically a career ender for athletes? I may be mistaken but the explosiveness doesn't come back.

Revis just revealed this week or maybe last that he actually had microfracture surgery on his knee as well when he was out. He said he finally felt 100% in like week 6 or 7 LAST SEASON. His injury was in October of 2012. It's a long recovery process and a painful one, but you can come back from it. You are probably more thinking of older athletes and taller athletes (NBA's Greg Oden for example) where it is much more difficult to come back from.

Certainly not an easy road, but if he works the rehab the right way, he can come back full speed.

Isn't the surgery he had basically a career ender for athletes? I may be mistaken but the explosiveness doesn't come back.

Yes. Microfracture surgery usually means a player comes back a shadow of his former self. Clowney's entire game is built around his explosiveness off the ball. It's safe to say there is little chance he will return as the domimant player he was before. Damned shame.

GO BILLS!!!

I know plus we traded 2 picks and didn't get one in return. Plus we could have traded one of those other picks for 2 more picks so we essentially traded 4 picks for nothing.

Ugh, the worst. 4 picks, and all we got was the worst WR taken in the first round, he can't even take a hit without complaining that his ribs are broken. Ugh.

that surgery sucks. i had it 8 years ago on my left knee and now it is basically worthless. i was an extremely active athlete person and now if i'm on my feet all day i'm limping. sports are out, other than a little cycling. no more running, no more beer league hockey, no more ultimate frisbee...i have a buddy who plays rugby and i was about to take it up but that is out of the question now.

the rehab is pretty miserable (what rehab isn't, i guess). i spent 6 weeks post-surgery on a couch with my leg in a machine that flexes/extends the knee slowly once per minute. 8 to 12 hours a day of that. oh and my wife was pregnant, so i couldn't help her with anything. You can imagine what a pleasant mood everyone was in.

It took almost two years for the pain to go away so that i could walk around without pain. i know other people have had better results, but there are a lot of stories like mine. Knowing what it is like for me I really hope that kid is able to pull it together and do what he loves again.

honestly some days it hurts so bad i'd have been luckier to have my leg amputated at the knee so i could run on one of those prosthetic legs that look like leaf springs.

So, good luck Jadaveon Clowney. I hope you make a full recovery.

The guy looked like a complete beast when he was in there last year. My interpretation of a bust is a player who can't hack it, not someone who falls victim to unfortunate injuries. Give the guy a minute, would ya?

Nope. poor work ethic. he is going to bust> i agree with Leroi.

The way he tried to save himself his last college season has bit his arse hard.

and even though its wrong as hell. its been suggested that Sammy might bust> wait was that Marrone?

I will eat the crow if J C recovers and shows why he was drafted so high.

big risk i thought. stupid texanz

Holy double standards Batman! So you are patient with a DE but not a qb? How does that make sense? That beast has 7 tackles and 0 sacks in 4 games. Prior to that, he had 3 sacks an entire year in college. Basically, he hasn't made a big impact since he nearly killed that guy in a bowl game a full 2 years ago.

I'm the last guy to tell bust after a year. But I do think he got severely overrated and was living off his sophomore year. He had a lot to prove and I hope he gets a chance. But he had a questionable motor ever before the injury.

Has any team have more bad luck with #1 overall picks than the Texans? (Yes, I know, the Bills.)

Bills have done pretty well in that dept. with OJ and Bruce. Two of the best ever..........So, Walt Patulski didn't work out that well.....

The team that had bad luck for a long time were the Colts. It seemed like they drafted #1 every year.

I can't believe some folks on here are calling him a Bust. Career ending injuries don't make you a "bust." It's just bad luck. If you still consider that being a Bust then your definition of the word is pretty useless.

I feel for the poster who went through this and his experience is not uncommon.

Clowney lost articular cartilage off the surface of his knee. Articular cartilage never comes back. The surgery attempts to grow firbrocartilage which is inferior and will last a few years in a best case scenario. I'm actually surprised they didn't try a newer procedure like chondrocyte transplantation in which your own cells are grown ex vivo outside your body and then placed back in.

Studies show that 40+% of lay people don't come back to play sports. In the NFL, 30-40% can't make it back and those that do are limited in ability and career longevity. It's worse in the NBA and has prematurely ended the promising careers of Oden, Roy, Bynum and others.

I feel very bad for Clowney. I hope he makes it back but the best case is a few productive years. He could come back longer but that would be an exception.

I'll be rooting for him. No 20 something deserves to have a promising career yanked from him before he even has a chance to play.

Refresh my memory - was he hurt his last year of college? How did he only have 3 sacks?

I don't recall but I thought there were criticisms that he was basically taking his last year off to avoid injury.

Refresh my memory - was he hurt his last year of college? How did he only have 3 sacks?

He had a sports hernia his entire final season at SC. That's pretty tough to play with I would imagine.

Not sure. Watched him get smoked by no name ACC lineman over and over again.

YouTube hit made him a star.

This is patently false. He was a dominant force his sophomore season with 13 sacks and 23 tackles for loss. His size and speed combo was something that had NEVER been seen before. At 6'6 265 he ran a 4.53 40 WITH a sports hernia injury lingering. He was also the #1 player coming out of HS and was performing like it his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. Anyone who follows CFB and NFL Prospects knew of him long before that one hit.

Edited by Mark80

He had a sports hernia his entire final season at SC. That's pretty tough to play with I would imagine.

This is patently false. He was a dominant force his sophomore season with 13 sacks and 23 tackles for loss. His size and speed combo was something that had NEVER been seen before. He was also the #1 player coming out of HS and was performing like it his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. Anyone who follows CFB and NFL Prospects knew of him long before that one hit.

He had a muscle strain and has had his work ethic questioned by Spurrier (shout out to Gilmore!). http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/19/spurrier-on-clowney-amazing-talent-ok-work-ethic/

He is a physical freak. But there has never been a DE with less sacks taken #1 overall in the history of the sport.

He had a muscle strain and has had his work ethic questioned by Spurrier (shout out to Gilmore!). http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/19/spurrier-on-clowney-amazing-talent-ok-work-ethic/

He is a physical freak. But there has never been a DE with less sacks taken #1 overall in the history of the sport.

That article is out of date, that is what he thought he had and he tried to play through it. It was later discovered to be a sports hernia.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jadeveon-clowney-sports-hernia-junior-season-south-carolina-062714

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361948/article/jadeveon-clowney-played-through-hernia-injury-in-13

Yeah but if you just take into account the first two healthy seasons that is not the case. Mario had only 11 sacks in his first 2 college seasons, Clowney had 21.

I'm not going to refute any comment on his work ethic though, as I agree it has raised questions all throughout his career. When you are such a dominant physical specimen in HS and even CFB, you may not have to be the hardest working guy to be successful. That changes at the NFL level though.

Edited by Mark80

All I know is if Joey Bosa only has 3 sacks this year I am jumping off a bridge. If a guy is dominant he can get to the QB in college. College OL, even with double teams, shouldn't be able to contain a #1 overall pick talent.

That article is out of date, that is what he thought he had and he tried to play through it. It was later discovered to be a sports hernia.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jadeveon-clowney-sports-hernia-junior-season-south-carolina-062714

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361948/article/jadeveon-clowney-played-through-hernia-injury-in-13

if he was truly hurt that's different.

Holy double standards Batman! So you are patient with a DE but not a qb? How does that make sense? That beast has 7 tackles and 0 sacks in 4 games. Prior to that, he had 3 sacks an entire year in college. Basically, he hasn't made a big impact since he nearly killed that guy in a bowl game a full 2 years ago.

I'm the last guy to tell bust after a year. But I do think he got severely overrated and was living off his sophomore year. He had a lot to prove and I hope he gets a chance. But he had a questionable motor ever before the injury.

His entire rep was one YouTube video.

Yeah but if you just take into account the first two healthy seasons that is not the case. Mario had only 11 sacks in his first 2 college seasons, Clowney had 21.

I'm not going to refute any comment on his work ethic though, as I agree it has raised questions all throughout his career. When you are such a dominant physical specimen in HS and even CFB, you may not have to be the hardest working guy to be successful. That changes at the NFL level though.

Agreed. If you can't produce across from Watt, you have no chance in this league. I hope he gets a chance to prove it and injuries aren't the reason.

I can't believe some folks on here are calling him a Bust. Career ending injuries don't make you a "bust." It's just bad luck. If you still consider that being a Bust then your definition of the word is pretty useless.

I feel for the poster who went through this and his experience is not uncommon.

Clowney lost articular cartilage off the surface of his knee. Articular cartilage never comes back. The surgery attempts to grow firbrocartilage which is inferior and will last a few years in a best case scenario. I'm actually surprised they didn't try a newer procedure like chondrocyte transplantation in which your own cells are grown ex vivo outside your body and then placed back in.

Studies show that 40+% of lay people don't come back to play sports. In the NFL, 30-40% can't make it back and those that do are limited in ability and career longevity. It's worse in the NBA and has prematurely ended the promising careers of Oden, Roy, Bynum and others.

I feel very bad for Clowney. I hope he makes it back but the best case is a few productive years. He could come back longer but that would be an exception.

I'll be rooting for him. No 20 something deserves to have a promising career yanked from him before he even has a chance to play.

Good post.

His entire rep was one YouTube video.

again, as has been said, if you dont follow college football, yea.

the dude was a physical freak, and was VERY productive in his sophomore year outside that hit. did he potentially coast his junior year? very possible. is that a red flag? definitely. but an nfl team didnt make him the #1 overall pick despite those question marks based on a youtube video of one play.

Edited by NoSaint

@caplannfl: LB Jadaveon Clowney placed on active/PUP list by #Texans.

good job Houston, way to not get a QB with the first pick (slow clapping)

again, as has been said, if you dont follow college football, yea.

the dude was a physical freak, and was VERY productive in his sophomore year outside that hit. did he potentially coast his junior year? very possible. is that a red flag? definitely. but an nfl team didnt make him the #1 overall pick despite those question marks based on a youtube video of one play.

that is exactly what happened, I never saw a guy not try like he did that year.