Sunday Ticket - Start your Engines

Griz

Called. Got transferred to retention. I just basically told them my bill was too high.

I also told them that I have Bills season tickets (which I do) and that I could go to 8 games a year. 2 others are on national TV. And now there is one internet only game. That only leaves 5 games. She gave me the Season Ticket Max for free.

She then offered the $10 off for 12 months as an HD credit. She offered the $5 off for six months as paperless bill credit (which I already have). I then honestly just said that I saw some other people that got $20 off for 12 months and asked her if she could do that. She told me it wouldn't let her do that, so she would just give me an additional $120 instant credit right now if I wanted. Ummmmmmm.........yeah, gimmie that! Very nice phone call. My bill this month was $1.81. I'm very happy today.

She actually told me to call back and ask for more discounts when these ran out!

Nice JOB!!! Sounds like my deal last year from a guy who was a Falcons fan and than my instant credit to cover NHL center ice :-)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice JOB!!! Sounds like my deal last year from a guy who was a Falcons fan and than my instant credit to cover NHL center ice :-)

The weird thing for me though is that I've never had anywhere near the success of getting the NHL package discounted like I can get for the Sunday Ticket. Ever. Mystery.

Edited by Lv-Bills

I just called -- took it kind of easy on them and asked if any discounts are available; didn't threaten to cancel or anything. Wound up with about $230 in discounts. Might call back later and go to customer retention, but even if I don't this isn't too bad.

Turns out I got a better deal than I thought. Just logged into the account to verify the credits and in total they're crediting me $343.50. It's hilarious how they did it -- $10/mo for 6 months off ST price, $10/mo for 12 mos. for being a loyal customer, $2.50/mo. for 3 mos. off the HD service, $5/mo. for 6 mos. off sports package, and then $7/mo. for 6 mos. off the three movie packages. So I did basically get ST Max for free.

The weird thing for me though is that I've never had anywhere near the success of getting the NHL package discounted. Ever. Mystery.

I've tried a few times to get the rest of the baseball season for free and got no where. Said they couldn't touch that one. Maybe the same as hockey.

I finally broke down and made the call yesterday. Started with the online chat as many recommended here. Was offered $10 off for 6 months. Declined and got the code and was told to call regular customer service and they would see the code on my account and transfer me to special unit who finds the "great deals on Sunday Ticket." Called and rep said that unit did not exist, jerked around for the better part of a half hour, offered me the same $10 for 6 months. Asked to be transferred to Retention and she said that her offer was best available, so Retention unnecessary. I told her to please transfer me anyway and she did. Talked with Retention guy for a while and got FREE basic ticket with $102 to upgrade to Max in exchange for 1 year commitment. Also decided to upgrade to Genie for free with 2 year commitment. DTV has an 8 year contract with the NFL, so I know I will be with them anyway. Surprisingly, no other discounts or credits, but he said to call back in October when the last of my existing ones expire. He did offer free MLB Package, but I declined, as I only watch MLB during playoffs and wanted to save my "credits" for other discounts. I tried for NHL instead, but no offers available. Overall, I was very pleased. I spent the better part of 90 minutes on it, and had I not been on vacation, I definitely would not have had this kind of time.

My best advice to the board, based on my experience: don't waste your time with the online chat and customer service, go straight to Retention. It would have cut my time investment in half. Side note, I'll be in Buf the first week of November and I recently picked up lower bowl seats on StubHub for the Miami game. Can't wait! Sabres have a home game the day before too!

Edited by msw2112

I've tried a few times to get the rest of the baseball season for free and got no where. Said they couldn't touch that one. Maybe the same as hockey.

It sounds like it comes down to having an exclusive deal with one but not the others.

I got the baseball season free 2 years ago. Loved it. But they wouldn't give it to me for any discount last year. After today I am off until the end of July so I will be calling next week for sure. These sound like some very good deals that people have gotten.

It sounds like it comes down to having an exclusive deal with one but not the others.

The agent was running through disclaimers about programming availability and I told her I knew they'd renewed ST for 10 years within the last year or so. She said "We will NEVER give up Sunday Ticket", LOL.

Made my call today to upgrade to Genie and lower ST cost. First young lady was friendly but could only give me $9 for 6 months off ST. Told me Genie would be $299 plus install and $23 monthly. She transferred me to retention. Second young lady gave me ST for free for being loyal customer since 2003. Then gave me free Genie + 3 genie minis and free install. HD is free for 12 months, DVD and whole home are $13/month with 24 month commitment. She also gave me $5/ month off 'just because' for 6 months. Took me @45 minutes of pleasant conversation with 2 lovely sounding young ladies. I'm calling it a good day, with savings of @$700 + free install and 3 free genie minis.

You guys are the BEST..

I have had Direct TV for 2 years and my initial contract is up the end of this month. I went on chat and said "My contract is up. I would like the best deal you have right now" After a couple minutes of small talk I was given an 800 number with a pin for retention. After about 5 minutes of small talk he offered me $30 off per month for 12 months. I thanked him, told him how much I appreciated what he did for me and said can you do anything with Sunday Ticket. He checked and gave it to me for free. So over the next year I get $360 off my bill plus Sunday ticket at no cost. Also my contract expires next July again. Life is good.

The agent was running through disclaimers about programming availability and I told her I knew they'd renewed ST for 10 years within the last year or so. She said "We will NEVER give up Sunday Ticket", LOL.

I actually had to correct the agent I dealt with when I signed up. He told me that with the ticket you get every single NFL game. I quickly butted in and said "except one". He had no idea and I'm sure that most don't either.

Adding all of the adult channels will do that.

Lol. It turns out my first year promotional package expires next month so my bill is set to go up 32/mo. She said the only way to reduce bill or get better deal is to change my Channel lineup. Asked which channels I watch and said ESPN, discovery, Disney, local channels, etc - she said that she didn't see a channel line up that was cheaper and still had sports channels. I asked about ST and she looked into it, came back, and offered 20 percent off. I basically pay 41.99/mo for 4 mos instead of 6.

She did give me 10 off/mo for 12 mos and 5 for 6 Mos but that doesn't come close to covering my increase. Oh and this was my second time calling. The first time I called they only offered me 5/mo for bundling with AT&T, but said I had to call AT&T to get it.

Geez, you all are killing it with these deals. Called today, first lady gave me nothing, asked to be transferred to retention, but was transferred to account services. She offered me $10 off for 6 months. Asked to be transferred to retention and was this time, but the retention lady gave me nothing, even telling me that the $60 off the first lady offered me was in error!!!

I'm gonna try again in a few days. I feel like so much of it is who you get and what kind of mood they are in that day.

Geez, you all are killing it with these deals. Called today, first lady gave me nothing, asked to be transferred to retention, but was transferred to account services. She offered me $10 off for 6 months. Asked to be transferred to retention and was this time, but the retention lady gave me nothing, even telling me that the $60 off the first lady offered me was in error!!!

I'm gonna try again in a few days. I feel like so much of it is who you get and what kind of mood they are in that day.

lol I think we got the same girl! At least Im not the only one!

Perhaps don't start out the conversation with, "Okay, bitches, who wants to be the first to drop to their knees and give me everything for free today?!"

I kid. I kid. ;)

Ha ha, trust me Kelly, I tried the sweet-talk approach. Same thing I did to get it for free last year and 100 the yr before that. Didn't hit em with the I'm cancelling my service until I got to the last lady and she went backwards from what I had already been offered!!!

Unreal. I called and did everything the same as you guys and they actually raised my monthly bill.

Called yesterday. First got customer service, she said they couldn't do anything. I then called back & got retention. Guy wasn't willing to budge either. He actually told me we have given it to you for free since 2009, don't you think this year you should pay for it. I then asked what is my buyout for the remainder of my contract. Said your locked into 2017 it is going to be $360. I then said well time warner offered me a $300 credit to switch over(I made that up) so maybe I will cancel. He said, "when do you want me to schedule your cancellation." I said let me think about. Guy was a total dick. I guess I went to the well one too many times. So it will cost me $250 for basic ST. So then I get even more pissed. I call my cheapskate brother in law, who comes over my house every Sunday in the fall eats all my food, drinks all my beer(even when I am not there as I got season tickets & usually go to 5-6 games per year) & ask him there not giving me a deal why don't we go haves on it. Being the kitty that he is he says sounds great but I got to ask my wife. His wife being the total B word that she is said absolutely not. At this point I am just going to probably cancel ST. It will be the first time I dont have it in probably 10 years. I am pretty disgusted.

Called yesterday. First got customer service, she said they couldn't do anything. I then called back & got retention. Guy wasn't willing to budge either. He actually told me we have given it to you for free since 2009, don't you think this year you should pay for it. I then asked what is my buyout for the remainder of my contract. Said your locked into 2017 it is going to be $360. I then said well time warner offered me a $300 credit to switch over(I made that up) so maybe I will cancel. He said, "when do you want me to schedule your cancellation." I said let me think about. Guy was a total dick. I guess I went to the well one too many times. So it will cost me $250 for basic ST. So then I get even more pissed. I call my cheapskate brother in law, who comes over my house every Sunday in the fall eats all my food, drinks all my beer(even when I am not there as I got season tickets & usually go to 5-6 games per year) & ask him there not giving me a deal why don't we go haves on it. Being the kitty that he is he says sounds great but I got to ask my wife. His wife being the total B word that she is said absolutely not. At this point I am just going to probably cancel ST. It will be the first time I dont have it in probably 10 years. I am pretty disgusted.

Here's what I did this year so try this: Call back and tell them you are canceling. Get transferred to Retention and tell them you want to cancel but schedule the cancellation for two weeks out. If you talk to a different rep in Retention you may get some better offers, for some reason different reps seem to offer different discounts, but if you don't get what you want then stick to setting up a cancellation date around the end of the month. Once they put you in their system as definitely cancelling the service, then more discounts magically open up for you. You may or may not get and email within a few days saying something to the effect 'We heard you are canceling, we want you back' and listing some discounts including Sunday Ticket. Regardless of whether or not you get the email, in a few days you can call back, go to Retention, and mention to them you got an email wanting you back and they should be ready to wheel and deal.

Doing this I got: $45 off a month for 12 months. Sunday Ticket Max for free. All movie channels free for 3 months. $200 gift card. YMMV

5th year getting Sunday ticket for free.

Edited by Gavin in Va Beach

You've gotten it free since '09 and now you're disgusted? I agree with DirecTV on this one....I've had it free twice over the years with discounts other years. Some good some not so great.

I understand & yes in the grand scheme of things I really don't have a leg to stand on. It still hurts though. I am actually more disgusted in my brother in law & his ahole wife.

Here's what I did this year so try this: Call back and tell them you are canceling. Get transferred to Retention and tell them you want to cancel but schedule the cancellation for two weeks out. If you talk to a different rep in Retention you may get some better offers, for some reason different reps seem to offer different discounts, but if you don't get what you want then stick to setting up a cancellation date around the end of the month. Once they put you in their system as definitely cancelling the service, then more discounts magically open up for you. You may or may not get and email within a few days saying something to the effect 'We heard you are canceling, we want you back' and listing some discounts including Sunday Ticket. Regardless of whether or not you get the email, in a few days you can call back, go to Retention, and mention to them you got an email wanting you back and they should be ready to wheel and deal.

Doing this I got: $45 off a month for 12 months. Sunday Ticket Max for free. All movie channels free for 3 months. $200 gift card. YMMV

Thanks for the advice. I will try this. I appreciate it. ONe question if they don't do I just call & say I don't want to cancel before the 2 weeks is up?

I understand & yes in the grand scheme of things I really don't have a leg to stand on. It still hurts though. I am actually more disgusted in my brother in law & his ahole wife.

Thanks for the advice. I will try this. I appreciate it. ONe question if they don't budge do I just call & say I don't want to cancel before the 2 weeks is up? I really have no intention of going back to cable.

ONe question if they don't do I just call & say I don't want to cancel before the 2 weeks is up?

Yes you can always cancel your cancellation.

Just be prepared for all of the snickering on the other end of the phone call. ;)

These are great stories but wouldn't you think Direct TV knows that people do this and would have some way to counter-act it?

Or do they just not care?

The number of customers who will actually call in to request reductions is so small in comparison to the total number of subscribers that I believe the answer to your second question is "yes."

wow play the system big time. Maybe next time they will see through it.

These are great stories but wouldn't you think Direct TV knows that people do this and would have some way to counter-act it?

Or do they just not care?

They care about keeping customers. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned their prices are so high that a few calling for discounts doesn't hurt them.

They care about keeping customers. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned their prices are so high that a few calling for discounts doesn't hurt them.

And yet still usually less than cable. Every time I entertain the idea of going back to cable I call Cox up and get a quote. After 20 line items of various charges, even with their new customer pricing, it's usually significantly more than DirecTV.

Edited by Gavin in Va Beach

And yet still usually less than cable. Every time I entertain the idea of going back to cable I call Cox up and get a quote. After 20 line items of various charges, even with their new customer pricing, it's usually significantly less than DirecTV.

I think you mean more?

Got a new job after working 8 1/2 years every Sunday. SUNDAYS OFF NOW! WOOT. I'm a cord cutter stream only set up and not willing to budge on that. When I saw DTV started offering streaming packages for non DTV subscribers it got me very excited. That was until I read the disclaimer regarding only having this option available if you cant get DTV service. I don't know how strict they follow this but I did get denied on the basis that the previous owner of my home had DTV installed. I called back a few days later and told them I lived at my brothers house (he has an apartment). They signed me up no problem. So for those looking to go the streaming route if you get blocked on account of location think of any potential family members who might apply to the "can't get direct TV rules" and use that address for your service location. It's all streaming anyway so the billing address and where it's being streamed from mean nothing in relation to each other. I use my mom's Comcast account for HBO GO and Watch ESPN. My brothers NETFLIX account. Kick them both 5 bucks a month. My brother in law has several thousand movies on his PLEX server. I have more TV options than I could ever think of using and just pay 49.99 a month, plus the additional 10 bucks to my brother and mom.

I'm completely off of all contracts this July, so for the first time I have some leverage as I can easily totally walk. Will see what I can get.

My contract was up and that is indeed great leverage. Cutting to the chase $48 a month free Sunday ticket for first year of two year contract and the second best channel package (no premium channel "remember to cancel" BS. I took a hard line approach and it paid off.

Called today. I talked to the first retention guy and asked if he had any deals for long time members that were willing to agree to a contract. He said that all he had available was half off showtime for 4 months lol. I asked when my contract was up and he was not able to pull that info transferred me to a senior retention specialist.

The 2nd guy was great. I was honest and said that I was willing to sign a contract if they could offer me a discount. He immediately offered free Sunday Ticket and 15 bucks a month off my bill for a 12 month contract. I asked him how much it would be to upgrade to genie and he was able to get me upgraded to a genie for no cost as long as I was willing to extend the contract to two years. I agreed and he also threw in free showtime for 4 months.

While things were loading up on his computer we talked about football, kids etc. Overall I could not be happier with the deal and I appreciate that they make it a point to take care of long time customers.

For some reason, my annual pilgrimage to get ST free was much easier this year. I went on the website and was greeted by a "Chat" invite... to which I responded. After a few friendly volleys I cut to the chase and stated I wanted to be rewarded with something for my 15 years of loyalty. My "chat" friend gave me an 800 number, plus a PIN where my information would be available to a rep waiting on me. The PIN was good for 5 days, but I called immediately. Damned if it wasn't true. A short 15 min. later and I got enough credits to ensure ST for free... then some, plus all the movie channels that I need to remember to cancel in August. My conversation with the rep was much different this year. She was incredibly honest... said she had the power to make stuff happen... wouldn't waste my time... and she produced and was gracious. She also said that many people don't even ask for deals, which essentially pays for the deals those whom ask get. Go figure. I like the new, honest DTV. Here's to the next 15 years :thumbsup:

Please share your experiences.

GO BILLS!!!!!!

When all they can offer as a package is DSL for internet they better make something happen. Might as well be using dial-up, lol...

Especially considering DSL/phone lines are not being maintained or repaired anymore, DSL "speed", if you could ever call it that, is going straight down the crapper...within the next 2 years phone lines/DSL will not exist at all. Charging almost $40 for speeds that are well under 3 MBPS these days, in the last 5 houses I've tested them in, they ranged from 0.31 MBPS-1.5 MBPS is an absolute joke.

Edited by matter2003

When all they can offer as a package is DSL for internet they better make something happen. Might as well be using dial-up, lol...

Especially considering DSL/phone lines are not being maintained or repaired anymore, DSL "speed", if you could ever call it that, is going straight down the crapper...within the next 2 years phone lines/DSL will not exist at all. Charging almost $40 for speeds that are well under 3 MBPS these days, in the last 5 houses I've tested them in, they ranged from 0.31 MBPS-1.5 MBPS is an absolute joke.

I have a 25MB DSL and have clocked nearly 40MB on it. They tie two lines together and use a special modem/router to get the higher speeds and I don't share the bandwidth with my neighbors like cable does.

On the DTV side, I got my annual discount last that makes it almost free for the Sunday Ticket Max package. The trick is to ask for a discount on ST and when they say they can't, ask for what they can do with your programming package to reward your loyalty (15 year customer here). The discounts they gave me would have given me normal ST for about nothing, but I like the Max package which also includes online streaming.

The number of customers who will actually call in to request reductions is so small in comparison to the total number of subscribers that I believe the answer to your second question is "yes."

You're probably right about this, but I will say this. I work at a sports complex. Our whole sports staff is located here. We have six full time employees up here. 2 Bills fans, 1 Cowboy Fan, 1 Redskin fan (who doesn't have Sunday Ticket because we are in VA), 1 Bears fan, and one dude who I guess just loves football. 5 out of 6 of us all have called and bargained to get the ticket cheaper. Every fan site has a thread about getting discounts off of the Sunday Ticket.

I got some newbie person in retention who was very nice but said she couldn't find any decent discounts for Sunday ticket Max. She finally got a supervisor to come over and that person reiterated that I should call back closer to the season and they will have better discounts to offer. In the meantime, the newbie lady gave me $120 credit immediately for being a loyal customer (15 years) and another loyalty credit of $10/mo. for 6 months. So that's $180 credit for doing nothing and i will call back in a couple weeks and have another conversation specifically about ST Max.