LSJ OL La'el Collins has a meeting scheduled with the Bills

Don't blame taxes for Collins not coming to Buffalo, I highly doubt that's a factor. Miami is my least favorite city in the United States, going there would make me believe he did it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect he will eventually meet with many of not all 32 teams and make an informed decision. There aren't any teams who wouldn't want a free 21 yr old 1st RD talent OT. We have no idea of the timeline of his name being officially cleared. I'm glad we made our pitch first as I think it made a great first impression. Now we wait it out. Hopefully we can bring him to the facility soon. As far as weather, beaches, friends... .This kid is here to do a job and he has to depend on his next contract to make up for the money lost for not getting drafted where expected. He needs to go where he has the best chance of playing and performing well, not where he will have the most fun.

He likely wouldn't live in Bflo FT anyway. The weather is gorgeous most of the season. The players are gone for most of the winter.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Three things Miami has on us from an outsiders perspective:

South Beach > Buffalo

Money > taxes

QB > committee

Collins has many factors to contribute to his choice, these are just three that favor Miami. Let's hope he is more interested in winning, finding a for and being a career stud than hanging on the beach tax free.

Three things Buffalo has or doesn't have on Miami

Low crime and less opportunity to get in trouble.

Good schools, FLA schools sucks for raising kids money is going to support retirement community.

Less media for a guy that obviously needs to lay low for a little while in a forgiving community that will appreciate him if he does well.

Depends what he wants and that will tell everyone a lot about whether we will see this situation repeat itself or not...

Good schools, FLA schools sucks for raising kids money is going to support retirement community.

Less media for a guy that obviously needs to lay low for a little while in a forgiving community that will appreciate him if he does well.

Depends what he wants and that will tell everyone a lot about whether we will see this situation repeat itself or not...

Not all the schools suck but in general the education system here is weak. The rest is poetry & accurate.

Three things Miami has on us from an outsiders perspective:

South Beach > Buffalo

Money > taxes

QB > committee

Collins has many factors to contribute to his choice, these are just three that favor Miami. Let's hope he is more interested in winning, finding a for and being a career stud than hanging on the beach tax free.

I posted this elsewhere where there's a sampling of all NFL fans who are mostly ruling Buffalo out.

The more I talk about it, the more I feel like the Bills are still a good choice. There's a lot of opportunity here for him and the scheme fit is excellent.

- Cordy Glenn has been up and down at LT and his contract is almost up.

- Seantrel Henderson was...not very good at RT.

- Both guard spots were a tire fire last year.

- Aaron Kromer is one of the best line coaches in the league.

- Rex Ryan just signed a 5 year deal so he's got 3 seasons minimum, unlike Philbin or Fisher (or Lovie?) who could be gone if they don't improve again.

- If they do take official visits after the 9th, I'm sure Pegula will throw the whole deal at him. He's said since the day he bought the Sabres that he always ran his business by treating employees like family. He's extended that to the sports teams and it seems to really help.

- Collins agent also went to Penn State so hopefully he at least does a fellow alum/booster the favor of a visit when the time comes

You may want to check Robert Woods' twitter account for that one.

FWIW, I was listening to "tiger tag radio" yesterday which is strictly LSU sports. They said that they believed the 2 biggest factors in where Collins goes are the chance to play LT and somewhere with college teammates to provide a level of comfort.

FWIW, I was listening to "tiger tag radio" yesterday which is strictly LSU sports. They said that they believed the 2 biggest factors in where Collins goes are the chance to play LT and somewhere with college teammates to provide a level of comfort.

So Buffalo has the position but not the teammates, and Miami has the teammates but not the position.

@OmarKelly: The fear of drafting La'el Collins was all about not giving the NFL, your franchise a black eye IF he was involved with his ex-GF's murder.

@OmarKelly: I asked a league insider & he told me teams were scared because La'el Collins SUPPOSEDLY had threatening texts to the woman.

@OmarKelly: HOWEVER, I firmly believe that everyone in this world is innocent until proven guilty,& we should conduct ourselves accordingly knowing that

Edited by YoloinOhio

There doesn't seem to be an NFL where both of those conditions are met. Had Arizona not drafted DJ Humphries in round 1, they'd seem like they'd at least check the LSU teammates and chance to play tackle boxes, but not anymore.

Maybe Tennessee? They've got Mettenberger, and Lewan could probably be moved to RT.

haha. Meaningless imo but taking selfies with Aaron Hernandez's BFF while you wait to be cleared in a murder investigation doesn't rank as the smartest decision of all time, from an optics perspective.

I didn't know he wanted to play LT, that's a problem unless Glenn has another preference.

the Bills have publically stated all spots on the OL are open to competition. Whether that is actually true is irrelevant as they can stick to that when talking to Collins. If he beats out Glenn, then that is a good thing from a team perspective as we move Glenn to G. It's not good for signing Glenn down the road, but it would be a win for the Bills from a $$ perspective.

I didn't know he wanted to play LT, that's a problem unless Glenn has another preference.

It's an easy pitch for Rex. "We're currently shuffling our line every practice to see what works best for our team. You will get reps at LT with us and if you preform the best you will stay there."

There doesn't seem to be an NFL where both of those conditions are met. Had Arizona not drafted DJ Humphries in round 1, they'd seem like they'd at least check the LSU teammates and chance to play tackle boxes, but not anymore.

Maybe Tennessee? They've got Mettenberger, and Lewan could probably be moved to RT.

Carolina he can play next to a college teammate in Turner and they've got a wide open spot at LT (currently occupied by Michael Oher, who hasn't played well at the position since Sandra Bullock was involved.)

Im not sure he cared when he was going to be a 1st rounder. Now, if he is kicked in to guard immediately and is just pretty good over the next few years he's looking at a 4 year $16M deal (or something like that). If he is a pretty op tackle that someone thinks can be a Pro Bowl guard he is probably looking at 4 years $25+M.

Because he said he would not sign for low round money and would renter the draft next year...

That's a good threat but sitting out a full year and not playing football wouldn't help him get drafted the following year

I doubt any team signs this cat until the police clear him. Anyone have an idea as to when the police will have finished conducting their investigation

Doubt all you want, but don't put money on it. He'll be signed within a week.

That's a good threat but sitting out a full year and not playing football wouldn't help him get drafted the following year

Worked out OK for Dorial Green-Beckham, picked in the 2nd round this year 40th overall after sitting out the entire 2014 season. He was one of the highest rated receivers after not playing football for a year and it could be argued he only dropped to the 2nd round because of off the field issues.

Worked out OK for Dorial Green-Beckham, picked in the 2nd round this year 40th overall after sitting out the entire 2014 season. He was one of the highest rated receivers after not playing football for a year and it could be argued he only dropped to the 2nd round because of off the field issues.

No one wanted to be the team to give him a free ticket into the 2016 Draft AND not be eligible to select him in that draft.

I don't think DGB was drafted in 2014 and then stiffed his team to re-enter the draft, but I could be wrong.

I don't think DGB was drafted in 2014 and then stiffed his team to re-enter the draft, but I could be wrong.

That is correct but if you are the team that drafted Collins this year and he didn't sign you are not eligible to take him next year.

It also worked out for Robert Quinn who I believe sat the whole year before becoming a top 15 pick.

That is correct but if you are the team that drafted Collins this year and he didn't sign you are not eligible to take him next year.

It also worked out for Robert Quinn who I believe sat the whole year before becoming a top 15 pick.

Right, I think that is the risk people were not willing to take in the 7th more than anything

No one wanted to be the team to give him a free ticket into the 2016 Draft AND not be eligible to select him in that draft.

That's correct, my point was more to the fact that the original poster said sitting out a year wouldn't help him get drafted. To that point, it didn't really hurt Robert Quinn or Dorial Green-Beckham, they were both drafted. Collins if he would have been drafted and sat out wouldn't have hurt his draft stock as much as some would have you believe. Yea the team who drafted him wouldn't have the opportunity to draft him but another team would.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

My two kids go to public school in Miami (the Palmetto schools in Pinecrest). Both my kids are in the gifted program, which is tremendous. I cannot imagine paying for a better education. I have nothing against private schools (I went to Nichols), but I have to tell you that there are some pretty darn good public schools in Miami. I also have to say that the current superintendent of the Miami-Dade public school system (Alberto Carvalho) is outstanding.

That is not to say that all public schools in Miami are great. Indeed, there are some schools that I would never send my kids to, but there also are some schools in Buffalo and Erie County that I would never want my kids to attend.

Just my two cents.

My two kids go to public school in Miami (the Palmetto schools in Pinecrest). Both my kids are in the gifted program, which is tremendous. I cannot imagine paying for a better education. I have nothing against private schools (I went to Nichols), but I have to tell you that there are some pretty darn good public schools in Miami. I also have to say that the current superintendent of the Miami-Dade public school system (Alberto Carvalho) is outstanding.

That is not to say that all public schools in Miami are great. Indeed, there are some schools that I would never send my kids to, but there also are some schools in Buffalo and Erie County that I would never want my kids to attend.

Just my two cents.

Another Nichols guy?!?

would be quite a coup of we were to pick up collins. Heard polian on nfl radio describe him as a guard. So we could have glenn collins wood richie henderson with miller, urbik and cyrus pushing them. Cyrus being the wild card with his off season training regimen