What change would you make if you were commissioner?

I would get rid of the division format and go with just two conferences.

Top 6 teams from each conference make it to the playoffs. All teams play each other equally over a two year schedule. No playing another team twice in the same year.

I hate that the Bills are almost never out west or at Lambeau.

I especially hate good teams missing out on the playoffs because an average or bad team wins a weak division. Travel is no longer a big deal.

I would change the draft . First night is the Quaterback draft , only qb's it forces bad team to take one. No tanking the worse 10 teams go into a lottery . A team can't pick in the top 3 two years in a row If f you pick first the next year you don't get a pick. You can't trade the picks but you can pass

What does this accomplish? It allows the worst teams to gamble on a qb without ruining their draft.

I know some teams may have guys they like a little so they would not normally take a qb high but this is the reason the same teams never have qb's . You really need to take one every year until you have a sure thing . As we have seen you can have a very good roster and play 500 without solid qb play .

Remove pot from the banned substance list. No one cares if a guy smokes pot, all it does is force the league to punish the player.

this

Have a draft lottery so there is no guaranteed payoff for tanking a season like the Colts did to get Andrew Luck, I have to admit I would have been on board if the Bills had tanked a season to get Andrew Luck.

Stop players from leaving their feet to make a tackle. A DB is going to kill a WR one of these days.

Stop the clock to move the chains after a first down like in college. Makes the final minutes more exciting.

Centralize coaches challenges in the main office for review, just like hockey does. Quicker, smoother process, easier to do.

Change the name of the Washington football team, this is beyond ridiculous.

Hate the pass interference fouls as a spot foul! So much advantage to offense for a very judgmental call most of the time.

So, if your a defender and get beat by the WR 50 yards down field all you have to do is tackle him before the ball gets there and get penalized 15 yards? I believe that would be a huge advantage to the defense. Can't see this working in the NFL, defense would take advantage of the rule far too much. I like the NFL lottery system idea. No sure reward just for tanking.

Imo

I'd like to see more kick returns. The current rate of TBs on KOs makes the whole process a waste of time. Someone taking one to the house is one of the most exciting plays in FB. We don't see those anymore. Better field position is another positive with potentially increased scoring. Move KOs back 5 yrds. I also like the idea of longer PATs. Automatic PAT is again a waste of time. No one is going for two anyway.

#1- would change the rule where if the offense fumbles the ball out of the end zone it would NOT be ruled a "touchback" and given to the defense. the offense should maintain possession, with the ball spotted at either the 2 or 20.

#2- FULL TIME referees, that meet all together in one location every week to review all controversial calls and work on their craft. Centralized Replay on gameday.

#3- less ticky tack pass interference calls and with the penalty being only 15 yards.

#4- eliminate the chain gangs and use laser technology. more accurate and speeds up game.

1) the city of the team that wins the super bowl gets to host the next one. Reward the cities that add the most value to the league.

2) all PI calls are 15-yard penalties (no spot fouls)

3) personal conduct policy: only criminal convictions result in punishment by NFL. Teams can do whatever they want re additional punishment. Any proceedings are by a 3-member panel, not commish.

4) instant replay: change "clear and indisputable" standard. Call can be changed so long as it looks "more likely than not" that error was made. We should defer to the video over live action calls.

#4- eliminate the chain gangs and use laser technology. more accurate and speeds up game.

I would get rid of the division format and go with just two conferences.

Top 6 teams from each conference make it to the playoffs. All teams play each other equally over a two year schedule. No playing another team twice in the same year.

I hate that the Bills are almost never out west or at Lambeau.

I especially hate good teams missing out on the playoffs because an average or bad team wins a weak division. Travel is no longer a big deal.

Increase the game day roster to 50

Edited by ALF

Move the extra point back.

Increase the roster size & game day rosters.

Move the pro-bowl to 2 weeks after the Super Bowl & make it AFC vz NFC again.

Clean up the officiating, no more favoritism for the Patcheats, and high profile players.

Start the regular season earlier (labor day weekend).

Have the league supply the game balls via the zebras with the teams getting no chance to inspect them before the game.

Remove the specialty balls for kicks and field goals.

Change the extra point to what they experimented with last preseason.

Edited by CodeMonkey

ban pot- its privilege to play in the NFL and be paid very well to do it. If you can't obey the law shows a ton about you as a person - by ban it I mean test positive gone for the season.

bring in younger referees - all those over the age of 65 gotta go - to pretend they can run, react, and see like they are 30 is the biggest joke on the league

Edited by CardinalScotts

ban pot- its privilege to play in the NFL and be paid very well to do it. If you can't obey the law shows a ton about you as a person - by ban it I mean test positive gone for the season.

bring in younger referees - all those over the age of 65 gotta go - to pretend they can run, react, and see like they are 30 is the biggest joke on the league

What about places where it is legal for pain relief or even recreational purposes? You would need to test for and ban alcohol, caffeine, and a whole host of other drugs as well.

As others have stated, no spot foul for defense PI. 15 yards. Works fine in college.

Let them smoke their weed--they simply can't stop.

No need for a lottery. "Tanking" hasn't really been a problem in the NFL. The Colts got the first pick because the sheer genius of Bill Polian was to never provide Manning with a competent backup QB all those years--especially after his first surgery. Add this to cutting Manning ahead of Luck's final year at Stanford and then rolling out his "secret weapon" Curtis ("Who Am I?") Painter, and the was no need to "tank". Nature took its course...

Eliminate offensive holding.

Bring the draft back to NYC. Leave it there.

Refs only handling the balls before games.

So, if your a defender and get beat by the WR 50 yards down field all you have to do is tackle him before the ball gets there and get penalized 15 yards? I believe that would be a huge advantage to the defense. Can't see this working in the NFL, defense would take advantage of the rule far too much. I like the NFL lottery system idea. No sure reward just for tanking.

Imo

Have you ever seen in college a DB tackle a WR 50 yds down field? It works in college & it would work in the NFL.

I know that it sounds silly, but I would have all Guards & Tackles wear gloves that resemble boxing gloves. This would eliminate the flagrant holding calls that slow up the game. The only holding penalties would be the obvious OLman tackling the DLman.

Have you ever seen in college a DB tackle a WR 50 yds down field? It works in college & it would work in the NFL.

Yes I have it happens quite a bit, maybe tackle is a bad way of putting it. The defender knowing it's only going to be a 15 yard penalty mugs the WR downfield when the pass comes. Why wouldn't you tackle, trip, grab a WR 40-50 yards downfield, if he has beat you, with the penalty only being 15 yards? The Pats* and others would do this all the time not caring about the quality of the game. If I'm a coach and my job is on the line I'd rather give up 15 yard penalty on purpose than 40+ yard passes.

Bring back the 2 day draft.

Stop protecting the offense so much with all those penalties (especially things like even the slightest contact to a QBs head is a 15 yard penalty and the defensive contact penalties on WRs, they should be able to do what they want short of holding before the ball is in the air). Lets bring back some D.

Change draft order. 1st team to not make playoffs drafts #1, second team to not make playoffs drafts #2, up until the worst team drafts 20th. Then follow same format as current for playoff teams. That would solve your tanking issues. Suddenly the Bills 7-9 thru 9-7 seasons start to look great. Mediocre teams get punished over and over while terrible teams get to hit on franchise QBs (and other positions) consistently.

Offensive penalties (except pre-snap penalties) are also loss of down.

Edited by Mark80

What about places where it is legal for pain relief or even recreational purposes? You would need to test for and ban alcohol, caffeine, and a whole host of other drugs as well.

It's not just that. The NFL itself more than doubled it's tolerance on pot just last year. In 10-15 years this won't be anymore an issue than alcohol.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/09/12/nflpa-approves-new-drug-policy-with-hgh-testing-marijuana-tolerance-two-game-suspension-for-dui/comment-page-1/

You are obviously clueless as to the side-effects of prescribed pain killers compared to those of marijuana. Educate yourself, you are part of the reason that such a ridiculous thing is still illegal.

You are obviously clueless as to the side-effects of prescribed pain killers compared to those of marijuana. Educate yourself, you are part of the reason that such a ridiculous thing is still illegal.

I was going to respond myself. Hmmm.... Vicodin, Percocet, or even worse and used a ton by players Toradol, which is horrible for the body, or pot seems there is one which is far less harming than the others. Also whether someone obeys a pot law is no more telling than if someone is speeding. Having preconceived notions of a person strictly because they do or don't follow the law on pot is far more telling of a person.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Remove pot from the banned substance list. No one cares if a guy smokes pot, all it does is force the league to punish the player.

Agree. Rremove pot from the banned substance list and substantially increase PED testing. Still too much cheating. Oh, and I'd be more consistient in punishments.

Speeding is against the law... :flirt:

Edited by BfloBillsFan

I would invest in some better helmet technology. Putting rigid plastic on the outside of a helmet is barbaric. There are hi-tech self-healing plastics that could make a softer exterior and could probably eliminate most concussions as well as all these dumb rules against tackling high. This would also keep talented players from retiring as early.