FA SS Dawan Landry visiting Bills

I think Landry and Spikes can get the Defense up and running to Rexs/Thurmans full speed rather quickly. a worthwhile investment IMHO.

Screw the O line. let them figure it out. They all suck anyways.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which part?

How are Rex Ryan's defenses predicated on a strong secondary? I assume by that you mean that his defenses rely on the secondary more so than most defensive schemes. What is unique in the way Rex uses the secondary?

Edited by Rocky Landing

How are Rex Ryan's defenses predicated on a strong secondary? I assume by that you mean that his defenses rely on the secondary more so than most defensive schemes. What is unique in the way Res uses the secondary?

Ryan puts his corners in a lot of man coverage without much safety and linebacker coverage. He basically dials up the pressure with very exotic blitzes and then has his corners lock down one on one. It's why Revis and Chromartie were so important to his defenses.

good article on Landry from last September.. sounds like a solid player and mentor

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-dawan-landry-rex-ryan-safety-net-article-1.1946766

and as limited as he is in coverage, i would still love to see Spikes back

Spikes has upside still due to his age i would think. He does a nice job of reading the O almost every time. Stacks and sheds very well, and or gets enough leverage to move to the gap.

He can shut down the hash marks by himself. and he hits hard. Runners get tired of that pounding.

Landry offers a similar skill set with tons more wisdom. and experience on some fierce defenses. Ravens and the Jets. a brief stint with Jags or something i think ?

gettin these two is more and more appealing everytime i think about it.

Lets move some money around Jim Overdorf !!

With these two guys on board..

Some one try to tell me Bills dont have the best defense on paper that we may have ever seen. And maybe the best in the NFL.

Screw next years budget!!

Now can Landry or Spikes sub at OG now and again ?

I cant believe the off season is still a riot to watch. I did not care much for Landry when talking about him when Rex was just hired, But now after Searcy, it makes perfect sense. Box defender who hits and is a great Vet option for Rex.

Stack Spikes and Landry up vertically , you dont even need a nose guard !!

Go Bills

Ryan puts his corners in a lot of man coverage without much safety and linebacker coverage. He basically dials up the pressure with very exotic blitzes and then has his corners lock down one on one. It's why Revis and Chromartie were so important to his defenses.

Revis and Cromartie did a nice job for him for sure and let him get a bit wild up front : )

I think we have that availalble in Gilmore, and then McKelvin and Graham.

I hope we have some good play recognition and great angles in Duke Williams. he has the wheels to get to the sidelines to help . A Williams does already.

Thats a strong secondary with some good young depth.

Draft a corner to upgrade Brooks?

Agreed although I see us waiting until after May 12th for any players that would count against our draft compensatory picks. Right now we are netting a pick. Spikes would count against us - not sure about Landry

I see what you are saying. Its not a bad idea especially if you can shake on it now. But, how does resigning Spikes count against us? Edited by Manther

Spikes has upside still due to his age i would think. He does a nice job of reading the O almost every time. Stacks and sheds very well, and or gets enough leverage to move to the gap.

He can shut down the hash marks by himself. and he hits hard. Runners get tired of that pounding.

Landry offers a similar skill set with tons more wisdom. and experience on some fierce defenses. Ravens and the Jets. a brief stint with Jags or something i think ?

gettin these two is more and more appealing everytime i think about it.

Lets move some money around Jim Overdorf !!

With these two guys on board..

Some one try to tell me Bills dont have the best defense on paper that we may have ever seen. And maybe the best in the NFL.

Screw next years budget!!

Now can Landry or Spikes sub at OG now and again ?

I cant believe the off season is still a riot to watch. I did not care much for Landry when talking about him when Rex was just hired, But now after Searcy, it makes perfect sense. Box defender who hits and is a great Vet option for Rex.

Stack Spikes and Landry up vertically , you dont even need a nose guard !!

Go Bills

Revis and Cromartie did a nice job for him for sure and let him get a bit wild up front : )

I think we have that availalble in Gilmore, and then McKelvin and Graham.

I hope we have some good play recognition and great angles in Duke Williams. he has the wheels to get to the sidelines to help . A Williams does already.

Thats a strong secondary with some good young depth.

Draft a corner to upgrade Brooks?

I wouldn't mind drafting a corner in round 5. The team goes 4 deep at corner with Gilmore, Graham, McKelvin, and Robey which is good but teams do need a 5th corner to achieve maximum depth (With how often teams play 3 and 4 corner sets). Brooks isn't a bad 5th corner but I think drafting on late isn't a bad way to spend a pick.

I wouldn't mind drafting a corner in round 5. The team goes 4 deep at corner with Gilmore, Graham, McKelvin, and Robey which is good but teams do need a 5th corner to achieve maximum depth (With how often teams play 3 and 4 corner sets). Brooks isn't a bad 5th corner but I think drafting on late isn't a bad way to spend a pick.

5th CB???? we have 2 more you didn't even think of plus some fodder.

Ron Brooks - banged up a lot but has shown flashes of decency. enough to let him slide in a roster spot.

Russ Cockrell - dude is only in his second year, highly regarded for being a mid rounder. Smart out of Duke, like most he'll take a few seasons to really come out.

Ron Brooks - banged up a lot but has shown flashes of decency. enough to let him slide in a roster spot.

Russ Cockrell - dude is only in his second year, highly regarded for being a mid rounder. Smart out of Duke, like most he'll take a few seasons to really come out.

Ron Brooks is still a question mark for me.

If either Leodis or Gilmore are down again i will start to have cold sweats. Robey does what Robey does very very well but he has limitations.

Bills dont pick up Landry they probably need another safety ? In cased Graham needs to move to boundary corner due to injury.

Cockrell from Duke. was highly touted

Ron Brooks is still a question mark for me.

If either Leodis or Gilmore are down again i will start to have cold sweats. Robey does what Robey does very very well but he has limitations.

Bills dont pick up Landry they probably need another safety ? In cased Graham needs to move to boundary corner due to injury.

Cockrell from Duke. was highly touted

Hopefully Gilmore and McLovin stay healthy, but if something happens I am more than confident in Corey Graham to fill in. I actually thought he played better than Leodis last season.

This guy has a source somewhere at OBD

@jchenelly: Mutual, strong interest between Dawan Landry & #Bills. Money is a sticking point today, but there is optimism from both sides.

Not surprising, we can't/don't want to give up much more money at this point.

Would be a solid move if it happens. Landry would fill lb/ss hybrid role which is a need at this point. Rex's d puts the SS in the box at the snap with a single safety over the top (AW) leaving the corners in man coverage. The SS in rex's d are responsible for cleaning up the strong side in the running game, occasionally dropping back into coverage, and frequent blitzing, which is one of the biggest differences in this D.

Edited by Cold Front

Hopefully Gilmore and McLovin stay healthy, but if something happens I am more than confident in Corey Graham to fill in. I actually thought he played better than Leodis last season.

Agreed. Throw in Robey, and Brooks who's no All-Pro but does belong in the league, plus Cockrell, I don't think I've ever seen the Bills so deep at corner.

@mikerodak: Considering compensatory draft picks and salary-cap space with Bills pursuit of Dawan Landry & Brandon Spikes: http://t.co/WGEB7o4Yyz

this is what is wrong with the NFL. The Bills are doing the right thing but its bad foe the league and players.

They need a cutoff. A simple after such date, say a week before the draft, that all players are 100% free agents. No comp pick ramifications, etc. This would go a long way to keep talent in the league and reduce some of the fodder that starts and plays at a piss poor level for a year or two

this is what is wrong with the NFL. The Bills are doing the right thing but its bad foe the league and players.

They need a cutoff. A simple after such date, say a week before the draft, that all players are 100% free agents. No comp pick ramifications, etc. This would go a long way to keep talent in the league and reduce some of the fodder that starts and plays at a piss poor level for a year or two

the date is May 12th for comp pick calculations

I forgot about Cockrell, I was mainly thinking of bringing in a corner in the late rounds to compete with Brooks but Brooks and Cockrell should be plenty of competition

@mikerodak: Considering compensatory draft picks and salary-cap space with Bills pursuit of Dawan Landry & Brandon Spikes: http://t.co/WGEB7o4Yyz

The NFL's compensatory picks calculation is horrendously retarded. The fact that the Lions losing a player like Suh carries the same weight as them signing a player to a 1 year 4 million dollar deal shows what's wrong with the system. There is no context in the NFL's system. They need to switch to a system that factors in size of contracts, more so money in money out. The Bills front office should lobby to change the system as the Pats*, Steelers, and Ravens all seem to know how to benefit from the system.

The NFL's compensatory picks calculation is horrendously retarded. The fact that the Lions losing a player like Suh carries the same weight as them signing a player to a 1 year 4 million dollar deal shows what's wrong with the system. There is no context in the NFL's system. They need to switch to a system that factors in size of contracts, more so money in money out. The Bills front office should lobby to change the system as the Pats*, Steelers, and Ravens all seem to know how to benefit from the system.

The number of picks is determined by the number lost minus the number gained. The round depends on contract, awards, etc. So Suh isn't equal to a 1-year $4M player, unless that player turns out to be an all-pro. And even then probably not.

The number of picks is determined by the number lost minus the number gained. The round depends on contract, awards, etc. So Suh isn't equal to a 1-year $4M player, unless that player turns out to be an all-pro. And even then probably not.

once youve cancelled out contracts there is no weighing guys against each other, its just slotting the remaining deals. and when it comes to awards and such - dont bank on seeing much movement. you will pretty reliably be able to predict next years picks on may 13th of this year. its essentially just slotting by average salary with a small bump in the cutoffs each year.

Yes but if you lose Suh and 3 other players and you sign 4 players to much smaller contracts then you don't get any compensatory picks. The Bills got nothing for losing Byrd because of the amount of players we signed to smaller contracts.

The system has no context, it's a stupid numbers game that factors nothing else than players in players out.

Yes but if you lose Suh and 3 other players and you sign 4 players to much smaller contracts then you don't get any compensatory picks. The Bills got nothing for losing Byrd because of the amount of players we signed to smaller contracts.

The system has no context, it's a stupid numbers game that factors nothing else than players in players out.

Seems to me its slanted toward keeping your best players. And the total strength of your roster plays into it as well. So it allows the teams good at drafting to keep up better if they can replace players through the draft. It does not help teams that can't sign their own and can't draft.

Yea, I wasn't sure which one it was but it sure was a whooping he put on

which exemplifies the importance of a good cast around an average to above average SS - which is all LaRon Landry has ever been. A top 6 SS in Rex's system with a solid D cast around him and DB's who can cover islands with RB's paving the road - you'll get yourself a SS plowing the field.

which exemplifies the importance of a good cast around an average to above average SS - which is all LaRon Landry has ever been. A top 6 SS in Rex's system with a solid D cast around him and DB's who can cover islands with RB's paving the road - you'll get yourself a SS plowing the field.

yep, Laron went to PB in 2013 and then signed a big contract with indy in FA, cut a year later. He did have the PED issue but he wasn't that good on field either for colts. They should have kept Antoine Bethea. Rex made Laron look better than he was.

Our favorite reporter Road-dick says the Bills risk losing a 6th rd comp pick in next year's draft if they sign either Spikes or Landry, and likely could only afford one of them.

Now that the Bucs signed Larry Dean we're at -2 so we can sign one without fear

Rex's system was perfect for LaRon Landry. Two shut down corners made is so that Landry could roam free having to do much less in coverage. Landry flourished in that role because it maximized his free roam ability and minimized how inconsistent he can be in coverage.

Rex's system was perfect for LaRon Landry. Two shut down corners made is so that Landry could roam free having to do much less in coverage. Landry flourished in that role because it maximized his free roam ability and minimized how inconsistent he can be in coverage.

Dwan "don't call me LaRon" Landry