Inside Info Brandon Spikes at the Lafayette

jletha

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Percy Harvin is coming in tomorrow to get things wrapped up with contract and such early next week. Spikes is probably here to show him some things to do and where to live. They are boys.

That makes sense because of Florida.

Percy Harvin is coming in tomorrow to get things wrapped up with contract and such early next week. Spikes is probably here to show him some things to do and where to live. They are boys.

...because Spikes, in one year of service has set roots in Buffalo and would be expected to be hanging around in March?

...because Spikes, in one year of service has set roots in Buffalo and would be expected to be hanging around in March?

Knows more about city than Percy. Clay is coming in tonight (flight from Boca around 8:30) and Percy should be in sometime tomorrow.

It wouldn't be the craziest thing if a close friends going to buffalo that he may come up to join the party for a couple days

Or perhaps, less cynically, he has a common bond with another Gator and just wants to make his homey feel welcome?

I would love to have Spikes back as well. Maybe Harvin will crash at Spikes pad for a year and he is just giving him the house tour?

Joking aside, I'd love to concentrate OL in the draft but we may need to consider an early (relatively speaking ) LB pick.

A lot of people want Spikes back. The Team has a need for MLB's and Spikes played well last year in a 1-2 down role. Early downs run stuffing MLB who brings an element of physicality is a good thing to have esp at a modest price.

And I think if they find the modest price it will happen.

I would love to have Spikes back as well. Maybe Harvin will crash at Spikes pad for a year and he is just giving him the house tour?

Joking aside, I'd love to concentrate OL in the draft but we may need to consider an early (relatively speaking ) LB pick.

With Spikes, you can wait until the 3rd or 4th round. Without, I think they'll take a hard look for an ILB at 50

I'm getting tired of reading about how Spikes is just a 'two-down LB', his pass coverage is a liability. I say bull butter! If he is so bad in pass coverage, then why do all of our opponents try running the ball when he's on the field? You'd think they would not only throw it everytime when he's playing but also throw it at the guy he is trying to cover. I believe if Rex is as good as his reputation on creating a D that enhances a player's skills and hides their weaknesses, then Spikes seems the obvious choice as MLB. Git'er done, Whaley.

Spikes can be the Bart Scott (leadership wise) of this defense. Rex loves LB's with attitude

Part of Scott was that he knew the system and staff completely. Spikes would not provide that aspect of what Scott was to the jets

I'm getting tired of reading about how Spikes is just a 'two-down LB', his pass coverage is a liability. I say bull butter! If he is so bad in pass coverage, then why do all of our opponents try running the ball when he's on the field? You'd think they would not only throw it everytime when he's playing but also throw it at the guy he is trying to cover. I believe if Rex is as good as his reputation on creating a D that enhances a player's skills and hides their weaknesses, then Spikes seems the obvious choice as MLB. Git'er done, Whaley.

If he was more than a two down LB he would've already re-signed with the Bills or some other team would've snatched him up. It hasn't happened because when he's on the field in passing situations he's been exposed. I love spikes and hope we bring him back, but there's a reason he's still sitting as a FA.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember Spikes having any major contributions last season.

Off the field it sounds like he's an awesome teammate and hard worker, I guess its because he had some monster hits against us a patriot I expected the same

Early on he was used in some passing coverage schemes. I was horrified at the first site of him dropping back. A couple of times against SD, a couple of times against the Pats and I think it was against the Vikes in the red zone he was there for a key break up or something that lead to that turnover on downs or to the 4th down. He actually surprised me as not totally sucking in coverage. He held his own for the average MLB. He is not Keuchly, but Keuchly can't get downhill the same was Spikes can, nor can he bring the wood like Spikes can. Keuchly is faster and draws a lot more penalties in coverage (and even more no calls). But Spikes at MLB was consistently a factor for keeping the middle together.

You do not remember him because he:

a) had to be accounted for by a lead blocker, trap block or other OL on run plays up the middle, which freed up Bradham or Brown to make the tackle

b) closed the hole and caused the runner to bounce to the outside or get to another tackler

3) was in on a bunch of tackles

He had 3 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble and 32 tackles. Bradham and Brown both had 66 tackles, while Graham, mostly playing nickel had 65. Hughes, Mario had 36 and Dareus each had 35 while KWilliams had 31.

Here is list:

Brown 66

Bradham 66

Graham 65

A Williams 50

McKelvin 45

Searcy 44

D Williams 39

Robey 38

Gilmore 38

Hughes 36

Dareus 36

M Williams 35

Spikes 32

K Williams 31

Brooks 31

Lawson 16

Charles 12

Rivers 11

Wynn 10

Powell 10

Many years you see MLB's get about 80+ tackles. They're usually a 43 D with a true MLB, but if you remember and stats support it, we did not allow for big runs. The reason for the DB's having high tackle rates were that a lot of teams passed on us a lot with short pop passes and that our entire D swarmed to the ball and the DL and box players consumed all bodies there leaving the DB's to come in and take what was left in the middle or to take what couldn't be gotten as they bounced outside.

Spikes played very well for us. Don't ever doubt that.

Is there any place i can get a "Spikes" Name tag made ? I have a old POZ jersey & i would like to have Spikes name put on it !!

Bring him back !! And it's a done deal !! With a little info help forms my friends ...