Ranking TE's

VIPP

Where does Charles Clay rank?

I love the fact that our owners have directed management to do whatever it takes to makes the Bills a contender again, but when I look at the offer for Charles Clay (5yr 38M with 20M of that guaranteed).

Just to put things in perspective, Julius Thomas signed a 5yr 46M (with 24M guaranteed).

I appreciate the fact that Clay will be a good fit for the system that Rex wants to implement, but I scratch my head wondering if we might be mortgaging our future on a guy who probably isn't even a top 10 tight end in the league today. I get that he blocks, can line up a number of places, and has good hands etc...but he aint no 8M a year TE.

I think a more conservative and better approach would have been to sign a guy like Jermain Gresham. He can probably do everything we need from Clay and comes in at a fraction of the cost.

Is Clay even a top 10 TE, because he'll sure as hell be paid like one if the Phins don't match (God i hope they do)

Where does he fit?

Gronk

Graham

Julius Thomas

Martellus Bennet

Greg Olsen

Vernon Davis

Antonio Gates

Jason Witten

Kyle Rudolph

Fleener

Jordan Cameron

Dwayne Allen

Dennis Pitta

Larry Donnel

Zach Ertz

Travis Kelce

If Clay is on the list, he's definitely near the bottom end. He's not worth the money and we will pay for this in the long run. What are your thoughts on where he fits in that list?

I don't think you're taking into consideration what kind of offense they plan to run. As far as stats, no he isn't top 10 but he has a unique skill set that not many TE's have

Edited by CNY315

More conservative to sign Greshem?? I suppose if we want him to wave a towel on the sidelines in street clothes, sure. He may not be ready after BACK SURGERY

I just read about the back surgery, i take that back LOL..

Not worth the money? He isn't costing the Bills that much...

8M a year for a TE that isn't top 10.. i woulda brought back Chandler and taken someone in the draft.

I just read about the back surgery, i take that back LOL..

8M a year for a TE that isn't top 10.. i woulda brought back Chandler and taken someone in the draft.

The Bills have the Cap space. It's a well thought out deal structure wisely. Would you rather them not spend the money they have and just sign a lesser player to save a penny?

Who cares?

As long as we get who the FO wants, I dont care. In Doug I trust. In Pegula I trust.

(and by the way, its "TEs" and not "TE's." There is no apostrophe in correct English to make something plural.

Even the Oakland A's, when going for their trademark, debated heavily about registering something grammatically incorrect, but decided that "A's" had become their brand instead of "As," like it or not. Methinks it has something to do with the difference between American and English. Because the apostrophe can properly be used to take the place of missing letters, and "Athletics" does end in an "s," or something).

https://thegrammarvandal.wordpress.com/2007/07/27/apostrophe-for-the-oakland-as/

Now that we have Clay, I think we're pretty much done here.

Edited by maddenboy

Didn't Whaley say Clay is "special"?

I haven't watched Miami that closely but I don't recall a TE so special that he deserves $38 million. What am I missing?

The Playoffs and SuperBowl.

Buckle up you chin strap... we're going back to The Game!

As a casual fan of other team's players and not confident about my own scouting abilities, I can understand why there are many people who look at Clay's stats and wonder why there is so much interest in him.

I remember doing the same thing when the Pats signed Welker and again when the Seahawks aquired Harvin. Both players had been less than impressive statistically, but were being uniformly spoken about as if they had upper echelon talent.

Clay seems to be another one of these statistically hidden stars. A player who was considered to be in the top 100 players in the league by his peers and who is resoundingly rated as a top talent......but doesn't have the stats to back it up. Time will of course tell, but for now I am more than happy to go along with the experts' opinion of Clay.

Edited by Dibs

I had posted this in another thread: According to PFF metrics, Clay ranked 14th overall among tight ends, 9th in pass receiving, and 11th in run blocking. For reference, Julius Thomas was 13th, 10th, and 33rd respectively and Scott Chandler was 47th, 63rd, and 40th respectively

Where does Charles Clay rank?

I love the fact that our owners have directed management to do whatever it takes to makes the Bills a contender again, but when I look at the offer for Charles Clay (5yr 38M with 20M of that guaranteed).

Just to put things in perspective, Julius Thomas signed a 5yr 46M (with 24M guaranteed).

I appreciate the fact that Clay will be a good fit for the system that Rex wants to implement, but I scratch my head wondering if we might be mortgaging our future on a guy who probably isn't even a top 10 tight end in the league today. I get that he blocks, can line up a number of places, and has good hands etc...but he aint no 8M a year TE.

If you are going to compare Clay vs Julius Thomas then you have to consider all of the facts. Julius Thomas played with Peyton Manning in a pass happy offense and rarely faced more then single coverage. Clay played with Tannehill in an offense with nowhere near the same talent.

How is signing anyone to a 5 year 38 mil contract anywhere close to mortgaging the future? The cap is 143 mil and continues to rise at a fast pace.

Edited by Max997

Julius may be the most overrated guy in the entire league, a guy who can't block or stay healthy is not the third best TE in the league.

I agree and think Julius ends up as the free agent bust for this year. Peyton can make just about any TE look good.

What you have to take into consideration is how the TE will actually be USED in a offense when determining value of the TE (I frankly dont care how they are ranked because often players are not used to their max strengths)

Clay is Romans new Vernon Davis.......

- He blocks

- He can bust the seem

- He makes big catches

- He is a mismatch on the field

- Taking him directly hurts a AFC East rival......and we need to win the East to make the playoffs

He is right for us.....

The other thing to keep in mind is that Clay is entering the prime of his career. The Bills will get his best years of production and he fits their offense. See his plays on Utube - he is matchup problem for defenses.

What you have to take into consideration is how the TE will actually be USED in a offense when determining value of the TE (I frankly dont care how they are ranked because often players are not used to their max strengths)

Clay is Romans new Vernon Davis.......

- He blocks

- He can bust the seem

- He makes big catches

- He is a mismatch on the field

- Taking him directly hurts a AFC East rival......and we need to win the East to make the playoffs

He is right for us.....

I agree with everything except the comparison to Vernon Davis. Comparing Clay to Davis is an insult to Clay. Clay is a self made 6th round pick from the Univ. of Tulsa. The nicest thing Roman could say about Davis last year was how great his blocking was. Davis had his worst year statistically (to be fair, he was hurt as well) in 2014 and Roman was basically using him as a decoy and a blocker. Let's hope Roman does not forget to use Clay.

He is not supposed to be good...because he is not stage diving or trying to be a WR to get more cash...and is often forgotten when people publish "rankings". You don;t hear anything about Charles Clay except on game day. That's a good thing.

He is right for the Bills...for sure. And his financial hit will basically be for this year. I love the fact that the team is fully utilizing the cap and sometimes you have to seemingly overpay to get a guy to move from South Florida to Frozen Tundra East.

Edited by 217014170

1. Rob Gronkowski

2. Greg Olsen

3. Jimmy Graham

4. Antonio Gates

5. Martellus Bennett

6. Jason Witten

7. Charles Clay

8. Julius Thomas

9. Vernon Davis

I truly think Greg Olsen is the most underrated, and most underappreciated player in the NFL. Not just TE, but player because he does so much for that offense, it's ridiculous. He's one of the best overall, TE in the NFL in my opinion.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

I think it's great that people are complaining that the Bills are spending too much!!!! What a concept!!!

This. I have never seen an off season like this...EVER.

This is a new team. We can worry about management blowing cash??

If this is why they raised ticket prices can I pay extra?

We are all going to get more product on the field for our ticket price than ever before...