what do we need to do to get to Pats level?

We now know who the best team. We face them 2x/year and know how we match up. So what specifically do we need to do to consistently beat them? (That should be the goal). I'll start with:

1. Adjustments: both during the game and at half time. They do a better job here than others and pull away when it counts most.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Brady really all the instrumental yeaterday? He threw 2 picks and LOB we're seriously depleted by injury...lane was out after the pick, sherman will require surgery, Thomas probably will, and chancellor may

Even with the picks Brady completed over 70% of his passes, threw 4 TDs had over 300 yards with next to no running game to aid him. Brady might not have the strongest of arms but demonstrates you don't need a rocket arm to be an NFL QB just accurate. It's fitting that his hero is Joe Montana as both share these traits but Joe was a better athlete.

Edited by The Jokeman

Even with the picks Brady completed over 70% of his passes, threw 4 TDs had over 300 yards with next to no running game to aid him. Brady might not have the strongest of arms but demonstrates you don't need a rocket arm to be an NFL QB just accurate. It's fitting that his hero is Joe Montana as both share these traits but Joe was a better athlete.

A lof of that was dinky dunk stuff, and be did have 2 bad picks against a secondary that was seriously hurting.

I just know we have to take the "elite qb" thing off the table because unless we're willing to do an irsay and tank the season we're not getting one.

How about elite TE instead? Seems a lot more achievable and gronk is a big part of their success across the board on offense

Edited by JTSP

A lof of that was dinky dunk stuff, and be did have 2 bad picks against a secondary that was seriously hurting.

I just know we have to take the "elite qb" thing off the table because unless we're willing to do an irsay and tank the season we're not getting one.

How about elite TE instead? Seems a lot more achievable and gronk is a big part of their success across the board on offense

I've been calling for us to sign Jordan Cameron as an UFA as the second biggest priority this offseason after re-signing Hughes.

You can just continue to refuse to acknowledge how great the guy is.

Dinky dunk isn't good if it wins you a Super Bowl, I'm confused. So the only way that is acceptable to win a SB as a QB is throwing it deep all night?

I see you working... if you say the backfield, full of the most cocksure MFers in the league right not was injured, you thereby minimize Brady's role in the win. Got it.

Keep building the case against the guy but everyone around him is better because of him, including Gronk, who I loved out of college (U of A homer). I said it before the game and I'll say it again, give me that guy as my QB in a must win game. At 37 he won a Super Bowl. At 37 the beloved Jim Kelly was retired.

Outside of your obvious emotional inability to give the guy credit, an improved OL is a must. A TE would be a huge improvement. My line is, we don't have one and can't stop one since Ben Coates was eating our lunch. They are major weapons and a necessary for younger QBs. You can get to the playoffs with this D and a mediocre QB. Need to get lucky and find one or have EJ develop. Get the OL, which gets you the running and takes pressure off the QB to do it all. Get that TE and it becomes better for the QB as well.

Coincidence how guys like Kaepernick and Wilson did well right away... behind great OLs with great running games, and in SF's case, a great TE.

We now know who the best team. We face them 2x/year and know how we match up. So what specifically do we need to do to consistently beat them? (That should be the goal). I'll start with:

1. Adjustments: both during the game and at half time. They do a better job here than others and pull away when it counts most.

Seriously? Get a great QB and cheat.

Dinky dunk isn't good if it wins you a Super Bowl, I'm confused. So the only way that is acceptable to win a SB as a QB is throwing it deep all night?

I see you working... if you say the backfield, full of the most cocksure MFers in the league right not was injured, you thereby minimize Brady's role in the win. Got it.

Keep building the case against the guy but everyone around him is better because of him, including Gronk, who I loved out of college (U of A homer). I said it before the game and I'll say it again, give me that guy as my QB in a must win game. At 37 he won a Super Bowl. At 37 the beloved Jim Kelly was retired.

Outside of your obvious emotional inability to give the guy credit, an improved OL is a must. A TE would be a huge improvement. My line is, we don't have one and can't stop one since Ben Coates was eating our lunch. They are major weapons and a necessary for younger QBs. You can get to the playoffs with this D and a mediocre QB. Need to get lucky and find one or have EJ develop. Get the OL, which gets you the running and takes pressure off the QB to do it all. Get that TE and it becomes better for the QB as well.

Coincidence how guys like Kaepernick and Wilson did well right away... behind great OLs with great running games, and in SF's case, a great TE.

and let's not forget Chandler lead the Bills in receiving yards in EJ's rookie year. Imagine if we got a starting caliber TE in here (as I admit I'm not sold on Chandler as a starter).

To beat the Pats 2x a season? Get an even better D than we have now. Get in Brady's face all game long. Knock him down. Hit him during the anthem. He panics a bit under pressure. Take away the dink and dunk passing game. I'd suggest we sign Revis. Get a QB and a TE. Adjustments: change all the calls/signals/snap counts at halftime. I'd bet they still tape teams. Buy off the refs. Over inflate their footballs. Take cheap shots. Cheat, lie and steal. Whatever it takes.

We need a few people. A guy with a cellphone cam to video offensive and defensive signals for immediate analysis during the game so we can intercept the 2nd half play calls. We need a guy on the sidelines to deflate balls in wet sloppy weather. We need a radio expert who can keep the radio on after the cutoff and tell our QB where the open guys are. He can also jam the opposing team's signals so they can't relay their calls. Lastly, we need a coach to read the rulebook front and back to figure out gray areas we can take advantage of. They'll close this latest loophole of reporting as eligible/ineligible two seconds before the snap, so we need to be diligently looking for the next loophole.

errrr settle down man, Ive been saying TB is the GOAT for a long time on this board, well before he got to 4. I am questioning if his contribution in the SB was so great that no one else could have done it. hes been a starter for 14 years, and won 4 ... so it's not like he wins every year. Surely there must be other teams and build constructs that can win it too. sure hope so because i dont see any chance theres an elite QB on the horizon soon we can get a hold of

Edited by JTSP

errrr settle down man, Ive been saying TB is the GOAT for a long time on this board, well before he got to 4. I am questioning if his contribution in the SB was so great that no one else could have done it. hes been a starter for 14 years, and won 4 ... so it's not like he wins every year. Surely there must be other teams and build constructs that can win it too. sure hope so because i dont see any chance theres an elite QB on the horizon soon we can get a hold of

Go back and watch his performance in the 4th Q. Or read about it. Or maybe ask someone about it.

To beat them consistently, you have to be Better than them. "Just as good" wont get it, because they out-coach you.

Maybe its scheme. Maybe its 6 DBs on the field every play, with our stout D-line.

Also, its being able to do 2 things very well on Offense, since they are about taking what you do best. That 2nd best thing needs to score a lot of points.

Go back and watch his performance in the 4th Q. Or read about it. Or maybe ask someone about it.

i watch the game as a whole, 1Q does not determine the outcome solely. Theres no way you can tell me hes the only QB that could have won the game yesterday ESPECIALLY since they were a play away from losing. We do have a test case for how Pats do when Brady isnt the starter in the Brady era --- Matt Cassell. Pats were 11-5, QBR 89.4, 2/1 TD/INT ratio (21/11), + 2 rushing TDs. ahem, no it's not all Brady

Edited by JTSP

i watch the game as a whole, 1Q does not determine the outcome solely. Theres no way you can tell me hes the only QB that could have won the game yesterday ESPECIALLY since they were a play away from losing. We do have a test case for how Pats do when Brady isnt the starter in the Brady era --- Matt Cassell. Pats were 11-5, QBR 89.4, 2/1 TD/INT ratio (21/11), + 2 rushing TDs. ahem, no it's not all Brady

The 4th Q determined the outcome for NE yesterday.

Matt Cassell, good point. Make sure you mention that to the HOF committee some day. They probably don't know any better.

Matt Cassell, good point. Make sure you mention that to the HOF committee some day. They probably don't know any better.

MATHEMATICALLY FALSE

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, TURN TO SARCASM

I was going to write in OP odds are we're not going to have an elite QB any time soon. If that's the only option to get to their level, I'm afraid we won't. Have to other things we can start doing better

That and cheat... What answer did you expect the QB is what makes the Pats them.

The year before they went 18-1 (people love to leave that out heh) so without Brady they were -7 so yea it's all Brady. Edited by Beef Jerky

That and cheat... What answer did you expect the QB is what makes the Pats them.

but we cant have their QB so that answer doesnt work.

Jets nearly swept them last year with inferior talent to ours, so at least "Head Coach" as an answer is one thing we may have addressed

Edited by JTSP

Jets nearly swept them last year with inferior talent to ours, so at least "Head Coach" as an answer is one thing we've addressed

You asked what it takes to be on the Patriots level and that is your answer. Sorry you don't like it but that is what it is. You just have to beat them without being on their level.

Too say tom brady was just dinking and dunking yesterday and did nothing special is ignorant too be honest. Seattle's weakness in there defence is the short passing game therefore that was the patriots gameplan. Brady is so much more than just a passer as well and I think that's where you are really missing the point. He's the smartest player on the field at all times and knows where the ball should go on every play. He threw 2 picks yesterday but look what seattles defence has done to every qb this year. I hate praising new England and tom brady but come on sir, gotta give credit where credit is due

NE is a great team, but it is a little fishy how they manage to stink up a first half and then dominate in the second. Yeah they make good adjustments, but I wouldn't be surprised that there were other advantages not sanctioned by the league.

Tom Brady will win more than just about any NFL quarterback, but he will be hard to remember because 1) he has no personality and 2) his strenght is threading the short passes to great TE's. My grandson will ask me if I remember watching Tom Brady. I'll say, "not really".

MATHEMATICALLY FALSE

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, TURN TO SARCASM

Check your math. NE down by 10, score 14 unanswered points in the 4th Q.

Jets nearly swept them last year with inferior talent to ours, so at least "Head Coach" as an answer is one thing we may have addressed

The Jets were 0-2 v NE.

NE is a great team, but it is a little fishy how they manage to stink up a first half and then dominate in the second. Yeah they make good adjustments, but I wouldn't be surprised that there were other advantages not sanctioned by the league.

Tom Brady will win more than just about any NFL quarterback, but he will be hard to remember because 1) he has no personality and 2) his strenght is threading the short passes to great TE's. My grandson will ask me if I remember watching Tom Brady. I'll say, "not really".

In all the years before Gronk, who were the "great" TE's he was threading short passes to?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Check your math. NE down by 10, score 14 unanswered points in the 4th Q.

The Jets were 0-2 v NE.

In all the years before Gronk, who were the "great" TE's he was threading short passes to?

Super bowl: score was 28-24, not 14-0. By your logic if hawks had scored from the 1, they would have won game although being outscored 14-7

Jets: Hence the qualifier "nearly"

TE's: Watson was a good players, and welker though not a TE was probably best short yardage WR all time. No one is saying Brady isn't good (heck, I've been saying he's goat for a while), however its not true that a) he's had no talent around him, and b) he's the only QB pats can win with.

Edited by JTSP