Spiller sounds like he is likely to come back

1.) He paid market value for the Bills. 2.) There is a salary cap in the NFL.

Huh regarding your first point?

No he didn't. I suppose you are trying to be cute and argue market value is what someone is willing to pay. Pegula paid $1.4 billion, so that is FMV, right?

Well, the key here is that no one, literally no one else, was willing to pay within several hundred million of that price.

I'm not sure that's FMV.

I mean if I am sitting at Christie's and bidding on a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO and all other bidders drop out at $28 million, I can then say "$35 million!" and watch everyone in the room gasp in surprise, but that doesn't really make $35 million the FMV of the car.

It is $28 million or whatever price bidding was at when the last competitor dropped out of the bidding.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know what Spiller brings to the table. He was terribly used by the old regime. If Rex can get him the ball in space then hes got plenty of tread left on his tires to be a dynamic playmaker on the offense. Not to mention hes been the consummate teammate and professional throughout his entire career here, including playing WR at one point.

If he wants to be back I want him back if the price is right.

I'm with you. CJ is awesome. He will light it up...somewhere...

I might even go 5 years Kirby since he's still relatively young-- and bump it to $20 million -- back end load the base salaries...

something like 5 years $21 million

$6.5 million up front

1st year base - $1 million

$1.5 million reporting bonus in year 2

2nd year base $1.5 million

3rd year base

$2.5 million

4th year base

$3.5 million

5th year base

$4.5 million

Perfect!! Where do I sign??

No he didn't. I suppose you are trying to be cute and argue market value is what someone is willing to pay. Pegula paid $1.4 billion, so that is FMV, right?

Well, the key here is that no one, literally no one else, was willing to pay within several hundred million of that price.

I'm not sure that's FMV.

I mean if I am sitting at Christie's and bidding on a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO and all other bidders drop out at $28 million, I can then say "$35 million!" and watch everyone in the room gasp in surprise, but that doesn't really make $35 million the FMV of the car.

It is $28 million or whatever price bidding was at when the last competitor dropped out of the bidding.

that is not historically Acurate.

I'm not sure that's FMV.

You're right about it not being fair market value. Plus the team was essentially sold in a highly controlled auction setting where bidders were motivated by fear. Hardly and an "arm's length sale." But like Terry said, 1.4 was the "right" price.

I didn't think that is what he was referring to, the option, but rather just that if Spiller doesn't re-sign by the time FA starts, he will become one. He doesn't mention any option, if this is the article you're referring to.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/01/12/spiller-ive-got-chemistry-with-rex/

I forgot about the Clemson connection. I remember Watson knowing him.

and there's this from Sammy...

92de080069510f76801aa376957e6e07.jpg

Edited by In-A-Gadda-Levitre

You're right about it not being fair market value. Plus the team was essentially sold in a highly controlled auction setting where bidders were motivated by fear. Hardly and an "arm's length sale." But like Terry said, 1.4 was the "right" price.

He did it because he wanted to get it over with, make a statement, and (IMO) make a huge impression on the rest of the NFL owners who instantly made $200-300 million each, overnight, for doing nothing. They love the guy now.

He could have bought it for little over 1b, and probably knew so. So he basically overspent by 400m just because he felt like it.

i agree the Spiller isn't a good fit for power/mauling aspect of Roman's running game, but i think his quickness is an advantage in the trap/counter stuff - as long as he can be coached to let it develop. so i think he might be a worthwhile back in half of his inside designs.. as far as threatening the D's edges with him running motion that might result in a sweep/pitch/pass - he give Roman a means to screw with the LBs reads, and something to design some option play off of - because he has scary speed... and from what i've read, Roman likes mis-direction to get more guys playside than you have to defend with. CJ's unique in that regard - his potential to beat you is only contained by a coach who doesn't play him because he doesn't understand his worth. i'm thinking Roman will find a way to incorporate him into whatever he builds. our QB situation is iffy, but we have diverse skill position players to attack with. why some of you are anxious to remove one, is baffling.

Edited by BackInDaDay

i agree the Spiller isn't a good fit for power/mauling aspect of Roman's running game, but i think his quickness is an advantage in the trap/counter stuff - as long as he can be coached to let it develop. so i think he might be a worthwhile back in half of his inside designs.. as far as threatening the D's edges with him running motion that might result in a sweep/pitch/pass - he give Roman a means to screw with the LBs reads, and something to design some option play off of - because he has scary speed... and from what i've read, Roman likes mis-direction to get more guys playside than you have to defend with. CJ's unique in that regard - his potential to beat you is only contained by a coach who doesn't play him because he doesn't understand his worth. i'm thinking Roman will find a way to incorporate him into whatever he builds. our QB situation is iffy, but we have diverse skill position players to attack with. why some of you are anxious to remove one, is baffling.

It's all good in theory but the money used to retain him would be better spent elsewhere. We have many holes, depth areas that could be upgraded. I'd rather resign Spikes than Spiller. If he were under contract, this whole thread is having a way different conversation

It's all good in theory but the money used to retain him would be better spent elsewhere. We have many holes, depth areas that could be upgraded. I'd rather resign Spikes than Spiller. If he were under contract, this whole thread is having a way different conversation

can't argue about the money part - that's always a juggling act, and is usually the tie-breaker at the pro level.. but that's not to say that Spiller may not be worth more as an offensive weapon tfor the right OC, than Spikes is to our D. you have to remember that he's easily exposed in pass coverages.. everybody's got their strengths and weaknesses.. if you want to run a speedster into the A gap with no second level blocking - yeah.. release /don't sign him

Edited by BackInDaDay

can't argue about the money part - that's always a juggling act, and is usually the tie-breaker at the pro level

It just makes sense to draft young legs that for the system at RB. You can get a mid round pick to be a back by committee with Fred. Spend that money locking down a position harder to fill (LB leadership Spikes/Harris form NY)

He did it because he wanted to get it over with, make a statement, and (IMO) make a huge impression on the rest of the NFL owners who instantly made $200-300 million each, overnight, for doing nothing. They love the guy now.

He could have bought it for little over 1b, and probably knew so. So he basically overspent by 400m just because he felt like it.

Agree with everything you say. It was a statement buy, no doubt. Certainly not debating that. He basically inflated the value of just abut every team in the league.

Yes, I think this is entirely true. He also wanted to make 100% sure he got the team, and he did.

The year-to-year operating profits made by the owners of these NFL franchises are chump change compared to the big picture.

They want the FMV of an NFL franchise to keep going up in large numbers ALL THE TIME. That's where the money is to be made....when you cash out and sell an asset for hundreds of millions more than you paid for it.

Pegula played ball very nicely for all the other boys in the club, and they appreciate it.

So if the bills do resign CJ, are we going to watch him running backwards all the time now? Hopefully, they fix this oline

Roman will get those guys going down hill, no doubt. He's done great work with the running game. We aren't totally bare at OL. I think Marrone was a huge reason for their regression

I am as high on the coach signings as anyone.....but please tell me how he would thrive under a OC who is known for a power running attack.

Yeah, the Niners had LaMichael James and hardly used him. They have another small back in Lindsey Hunter but he wasn't used as a scatback. It was up-the-middle or off-tackle like CJ has been used. Gore was the guy and now they also have Carlos Hyde.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

Spiller mention in this article about the backs being excited for Ryan:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/12/bills-running-backs-ecstatic-rex-ryan-hire/

"I'm still letting it play out," Spiller said. "It's an exciting time for the Bills Mafia to get a guy like Rex, a guy who will bring a lot of intensity and a lot of fun to work.

"But I'm just taking it one step at a time and will let the due process play out."

I'm not sure if it was posted here, but I read somewhere that CJ's stats in 3 & 4 wide sets have been consistently strong, even under Marrone. I'm not certain of this, but if true it would seem to indicate that he is a dangerous weapon and Marrone really was misusing him.

I'm not sure if it was posted here, but I read somewhere that CJ's stats in 3 & 4 wide sets have been consistently strong, even under Marrone. I'm not certain of this, but if true it would seem to indicate that he is a dangerous weapon and Marrone really was misusing him.

How dare you, sir. Where do you get off questioning a saint?!

I think there are a couple things people agree on:

1) spiller can be a weapon

2) Marrone misused him

I don't see him being are weapon in 2015 for much of the same reason as this year. He doesn't fit the mold

Many of us were yelling to do that the entire season.

He will get a mid-sized contract, wherever he goes. The numbers don't lie - Spiller has had good years and lean years, and he will probably get a small premium for his natural ability and first-rounderness.

You sir have have captured phrase we should i keep in mind. I must say you have a talent,

First- rounderness.

This is my new favorite term.

Thank you.