Spiller sounds like he is likely to come back

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it that he gets negative or one yard pretty much every carry, never hits homeruns, and yet his career average rivals the very best RBs of all time?

Look at his last 2 seasons. I posted a few weeks ago..It is what it is.

He had one year with a 6 ypc avg. That's how. He had one great year. Where are the home runs?

Edited by Mr. WEO

How is it that he gets negative or one yard pretty much every carry, never hits homeruns, and yet his career average rivals the very best RBs of all time?

He hits homeruns on 5% of carries brotha.

Spiller has more fumbles than rushing TD's. Does that rival the best RBs?

He had one year with a 6 ypc avg. That's how. He had one great year. Where are the home runs?

One great year and 4 where he was either hurt, benched, or a back up. Simple statistics. The more Spiller plays, that average drops.

Edited by FireChan

So he was absolutely terrible in 2011 and averaged 5.2 yards a carry for the whole season never hitting homeruns and always getting no gains? He was brutally awful in 2013 and averaged 4.6 yards a carry never hitting homeruns and always getting stuffed? You guys are insane. ;)

Fred Jackson is the third best RB the Bills have ever had, behind two Hall of Famers, always falls forward, breaks tremendous tackles and gets the very most out of every carry. Oh, and on the exact same teams, CJ gets more yards a carry.

He hits homeruns on 5% of carries brotha.

Spiller has more fumbles than rushing TD's. Does that rival the best RBs?

One great year and 4 where he was either hurt, benched, or a back up. Simple statistics. The more Spiller plays, that average drops.

Since he never hits homeruns it's even more remarkable that his career average is in a group that only includes Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, Adrien Peterson and Jamaal Charles. The only ones.

So he was absolutely terrible in 2011 and averaged 5.2 yards a carry for the whole season never hitting homeruns and always getting no gains? He was brutally awful in 2013 and averaged 4.6 yards a carry never hitting homeruns and always getting stuffed? You guys are insane. ;)

Fred Jackson is the third best RB the Bills have ever had, behind two Hall of Famers, always falls forward, breaks tremendous tackles and gets the very most out of every carry. Oh, and on the exact same teams, CJ gets more yards a carry.

Since he never hits homeruns it's even more remarkable that his career average is in a group that only includes Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, Adrien Peterson and Jamaal Charles. The only ones.

Let me know when career average correlates to W/L.

I swear, you'd argue that Losman is a dynamic QB because his completion percentage on 80 yard passes is the same as Montana.

Edited by FireChan

Let me know when career average correlates to W/L.

It doesn't. It proves without question except to clinically insane people that he's pretty good.

And this is while often hurt, not having a good line, little passing game, and crappy coaching for the majority of his career.

Otherwise there would be other guys who average 5.0 yards a carry for their career, which is insanely good, who also suck like CJ. Except there is ZERO.

I forget-- does he have a player option he can exercise? If so, would be a no-brainer-- gives him a chance to make a huge splash and then try FA.

He will thrive under Roman.

Roman is more power running, i thought. he might do ok, but if Roman IS more power focused, CJ will continue to be a bust.

It doesn't. It proves without question except to clinically insane people that he's pretty good.

And this is while often hurt, not having a good line, little passing game, and crappy coaching for the majority of his career.

Otherwise there would be other guys who average 5.0 yards a carry for their career, which is insanely good, who also suck like CJ. Except there is ZERO.

Spiller's own cheerleader Gailey took him out for Tashard Choice half the time.

He's not insanely good. He's a one trick pony, who isn't all that great at his one trick, and his one trick isn't all that helpful to winning football games.

I would put $10 grand on Spiller not finishing his career with a 5.0+ YPC. average. You're basically talking up Andre Ellington with Bills blinders on.

Never forget.

https://vine.co/v/OqB9YQxv31M

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000449924/Kyle-Orton-fumbles-Patriots-recover

Here you go..

He only has 2 runs over 25 all year.

So far this year, 16% of his carries went for negative yardage.

19% were for 1 yard.

17% went for 2 yards

19% went for 3-4 yards.

8.6% went for 10 or more yards.

In total, 52% of his carries were for 2 or fewer yards.

Don't like those numbers? How about last season? 25% of his runs were for 0 or less yards. 10% were for 1 yard. 15% were for 2 yards.

So....a year ago 50% of his runs were for 2 yards or less. Sound familiar?

Here you go..

19% were for 1 yard.

17% went for 2 yards

19% went for 3-4 yards.

Don't like those numbers? How about last season? 25% of his runs were for 0 or less yards. 10% were for 1 yard. 15% were for 2 yards.

Barry Sanders

Barry Sanders

Now this is the best part of this silly argument.

Spiller's best season was only better than Sanders's worst season. Sanders had to carry the ball over 300 times nearly every year. Spiller pops in every now and then for zero gain the majority of his carries. Also, Sanders scored TDs. He wasn't benched when the Lions needed a run score on goal to go.

This is like back a few years ago when posters here were going on and on about Roscoe being the "best punt returner in NFL history" because he avg'g 16 yards one year---yet he only returned 27 punts all season!

Edited by Mr. WEO

Here you go..

19% were for 1 yard.

17% went for 2 yards

19% went for 3-4 yards.

I watch the games. I see him getting nowhere as many times as you. I see him missing holes at times. I see him trying to bust it outside and failing. I see him going down easily. I see him impatient. We watch the same plays.

I also see the gains he gets, and tackles he breaks and 5 and 8 and 11 and 18 yard runs, which makes him average 5 yards a carry for his career, which is historic. And no crappy runner gets.

And you and FireChan just ignore all those plays.

Now this is the best part of this silly argument.

Spiller's best season was only better than Sanders's worst season. Sanders had to carry the ball over 300 times nearly every year. Spiller pops in every now and then for zero gain the majority of his carries. Also, Sanders scored TDs. He wasn't benched when the Lions needed a run score on goal to go.

This is like back a few years ago when posters here were going on and on about Roscoe being the "best punt returner in NFL history" because he avg'g 16 yards one year---yet he only returned 27 punts all season!

I have never compared Spiller to Barry Sanders as being half the player Sanders was. I have never said Spiller is great.

I'm only pointing out facts.

I watch the games. I see him getting nowhere as many times as you. I see him missing holes at times. I see him trying to bust it outside and failing. I see him going down easily. I see him impatient. We watch the same plays.

I also see the gains he gets, and tackles he breaks and 5 and 8 and 11 and 18 yard runs, which makes him average 5 yards a carry for his career, which is historic. And no crappy runner gets.

I see Spiller's good plays, I just see his bad ones more. I'd rather have an RB run for 2-3 yards every play than be boom or bust like Spiller. That's just a personal preference. He's a shiny gadget player.

Spiller's own cheerleader Gailey took him out for Tashard Choice half the time.

He's not insanely good. He's a one trick pony, who isn't all that great at his one trick, and his one trick isn't all that helpful to winning football games.

I would put $10 grand on Spiller not finishing his career with a 5.0+ YPC. average. You're basically talking up Andre Ellington with Bills blinders on.

Never forget.

https://vine.co/v/OqB9YQxv31M

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000449924/Kyle-Orton-fumbles-Patriots-recover

Never said Spiller was insanely good. I said his career average is insanely good, and it's a fact. Over five years. It's an irrefutable fact. He doesn't get a ton of carries. He couldn't. He's not an every down back. He's not a three down back. He's a crappy blocker. But he averages five yards a carry. That is insanely good.

I have never compared Spiller to Barry Sanders as being half the player Sanders was. I have never said Spiller is great.

I'm only pointing out facts.

The facts are as they have been listed. If you now want to describe 5, 8 and 11 yard runs as "home runs", then I guess you got me.

I didn't say he was "crappy". He is (in your mind) living off that one season 3 years ago.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Never said Spiller was insanely good. I said his career average is insanely good, and it's a fact. Over five years. It's an irrefutable fact. He doesn't get a ton of carries. He couldn't. He's not an every down back. He's not a three down back. He's a crappy blocker. But he averages five yards a carry. That is insanely good.

Final question. Do you think CJ Spiller will average 5 YPC once he's retired?

1 or 1.5 out of 5 is not sustainable. It's a misrepresentation IMO. A fluke that is skewing the data. With Barry and everyone else on your list, you could wipe out their best season, and their numbers are still great. With Spiller, he becomes pedestrian. It's just that simple.