Spiller sounds like he is likely to come back

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if it was posted here, but I read somewhere that CJ's stats in 3 & 4 wide sets have been consistently strong, even under Marrone. I'm not certain of this, but if true it would seem to indicate that he is a dangerous weapon and Marrone really was misusing him.

2012: In 3 WR sets - 101 carries for 6.9 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 60 carries for 5.5 YPC (62% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

2013: In 3 WR sets - 63 carries for 5.3 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 128 carries for 5.5 YPC (32% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

2014: In 3 WR sets - 36 carries for 6.4 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 36 carries for 1.4 YPC (50% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

Interestingly, running up the middle this year was the weakest part of the Bills running game (particularly in 2 TE sets), which is not surprising, given the play of the guards. Spiller averaged less than 2 YPC running up the middle and about 5 YPC outside the guards, yet, 30% of his runs were up the middle in 2 TE sets.

Another interesting point, Spiller's YPC up the middle drastically improves in spread formations and was the case in 2012. 2013, and 2014. In fact, Spiller ran up the middle in almost 40% (82 carries) of the plays in 2012. However, most of that was out of 3 WR sets and he averaged 6.5 YPC - the highest average in the NFL up the middle in 2012.

Edited by billsfan1959

Good. When the running game has been successful, he - and not Fred - has been the biggest contributor. I know that no one likes to hear that, but it is, indeed, the truth. He may not be an every down back (we don't know, because he's always shared carries) but he has always been the common denominator to a good running game on this team.

Myth busters: Most of his high YPC carries were between the tackles,

Over the last 3 years, only Adrian Peterson has had more +20 and +40 yard runs.

I hope he stays.

I am so glad WEO is not the GM of this football team, is all I can say. Talk about a broken weathervane...

They've done worse!

But no thanks anyway. I've got a steady job.

Good. When the running game has been successful, he - and not Fred - has been the biggest contributor. I know that no one likes to hear that, but it is, indeed, the truth. He may not be an every down back (we don't know, because he's always shared carries) but he has always been the common denominator to a good running game on this team.

Myth busters: Most of his high YPC carries were between the tackles,

Over the last 3 years, only Adrian Peterson has had more +20 and +40 yard runs.

I hope he stays.

Fred has a higher percentage of runs for 1st downs.

Spiller is one of the worst RBs the Bills have ever drafted. He doesn't know how to block, follow a block or hold on to the ball. He doesn't know how to fall forward after contact and that is after playing with one of the best yards after contact RBs in NFL history. Just, No.We can find some UDFA RB that can dance in the hole and fumble to replace Spiller.

two seasons ago he was the 2nd best runner in football. He won us games. He averaged 6 freakin yards a carry. Teams were setting up their entire gameplan around the guy.

1700 all purpose yards and 8td's behind a mediocre O line. The last time he touched the ball he went for 50+.

Dont judge him by what Hackett did with him. And remember PFF graded our run blocking as the worst in the NFL last year. Dead last. (nice job fixing that doug and dumber)

They've done worse!

But no thanks anyway. I've got a steady job.

Fred has a higher percentage of runs for 1st downs.

And I'm very proud of him.

It's both of them that have made the running game successful (back when it was successful). I want them both back. More importantly, when Fred finally hits the wall, the last thing I want is for Bryce Brown and Boobie Dixon to be the running game.

two seasons ago he was the 2nd best runner in football. He won us games. He averaged 6 freakin yards a carry. Teams were setting up their entire gameplan around the guy.

1700 all purpose yards and 8td's behind a mediocre O line. The last time he touched the ball he went for 50+.

Dont judge him by what Hackett did with him. And remember PFF graded our run blocking as the worst in the NFL last year. Dead last. (nice job fixing that doug and dumber)

We won 6 games.

Spiller doesn't know how to block, follow blocks or hold on to the ball.

He could be replaced so easily.

He is a nice guy that is true. My mailman is nice a guy, I don't want him playing RB for the Bills. Although if he can follow blocks and fall forward after contact without fumbling he could be an upgrade over Spiller.

2012: In 3 WR sets - 101 carries for 6.9 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 60 carries for 5.5 YPC (62% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

2013: In 3 WR sets - 63 carries for 5.3 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 128 carries for 5.5 YPC (32% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

2014: In 3 WR sets - 36 carries for 6.4 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 36 carries for 1.4 YPC (50% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

Interestingly, running up the middle this year was the weakest part of the Bills running game (particularly in 2 TE sets), which is not surprising, given the play of the guards. Spiller averaged less than 2 YPC running up the middle and about 5 YPC outside the guards, yet, 30% of his runs were up the middle in 2 TE sets.

Another interesting point, Spiller's YPC up the middle drastically improves in spread formations and was the case in 2012. 2013, and 2014. In fact, Spiller ran up the middle in almost 40% (82 carries) of the plays in 2012. However, most of that was out of 3 WR sets and he averaged 6.5 YPC - the highest average in the NFL up the middle in 2012.

That makes sense, spread em out and let Spiller pin ball around a Nickle or Dime defense. Because Spiller can't follow a block.

Spread em out is pretty much the opposite of what Roman did in San Fran.

We won 6 games.

Spiller doesn't know how to block, follow blocks or hold on to the ball.

He could be replaced so easily.

He is a nice guy that is true. My mailman is nice a guy, I don't want him playing RB for the Bills. Although if he can follow blocks and fall forward after contact without fumbling he could be an upgrade over Spiller.

That makes sense, spread em out and let Spiller pin ball around a Nickle or Dime defense. Because Spiller can't follow a block.

Spread em out is pretty much the opposite of what Roman did in San Fran.

Spiller doesn't have a fumbling issue at all. (Fumbled on 2% of all touches in his career (Fred is at 1.5%))

Not every decent running back is a decent blocker.

Most of his yards during his best seasons were between the tackles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000457269/article/cj-spiller-excited-about-rex-ryan-leading-bills

That sounds like a guy that thinks or knows he is going to re-sign with the Bills. Who knows. Maybe he has spoken to Rex and Roman and Whaley, maybe not.

This is just me, but he sounds to me like a guy who would like to come back ...

... if they pay him the big money.

Pretty much like everyone else in the league excepting guys who get contracts that will pay them even if they leave.

Except Spiller can't run into anything but his own blockers and can never seem to find the holes.

I've said it a million times: CJ Spiller needs to be used in a Darren Sproles / Brian Westbrook type role. Out of the backfield in space. If Roman wont use him properly, I can live with Freddy and Boobie if it's gonna be a "ground and pound" type philosophy. Otherwise I let Spiller walk if I'm Rex.

Spiller's own cheerleader Gailey took him out for Tashard Choice half the time.

He's not insanely good. He's a one trick pony, who isn't all that great at his one trick, and his one trick isn't all that helpful to winning football games.

I would put $10 grand on Spiller not finishing his career with a 5.0+ YPC. average. You're basically talking up Andre Ellington with Bills blinders on.

Never forget.

https://vine.co/v/OqB9YQxv31M

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000449924/Kyle-Orton-fumbles-Patriots-recover

That's just not true.

Yes he did. Spiller was having his great year, and he was getting spelled for Tashard.

Well, was he getting taken out "half the time" like you previously said or just getting "spelled" like you say above. Getting yanked for Choice is one thing, getting a rest is another.

Well, was he getting taken out "half the time" like you previously said or just getting "spelled" like you say above. Getting yanked for Choice is one thing, getting a rest is another.

The intention of that sentence was even in Spiller's best year, even with his biggest fan as HC, he wasn't carrying the load as much as everyone believed he could.