Kurt Warner
Ron Wolf

Kevin Greene

Bill Pollian

Junior Seau

Charles Hailey

Kurt Warner

Jimmy Johnson

Those are my picks !! :thumbsup::thumbsup: 2 thumbs up ...

Jimmy Johnson coached in the league for less than 10 years. Sure he got two rings and you can credit him with the Herschel Walker trade that helped build that Dallas team I guess, but even with that are his accomplishments really deserving of the Hall of Fame? Didn't Barry Switzer prove pretty much anyone could win with that team?

Edited by Pondslider

Jimmy Johnson coached in the league for less than 10 years. Sure he got two rings and you can credit him with the Herschel Walker trade that helped build that Dallas team I guess, but even with that are his accomplishments really deserving of the Hall of Fame? Didn't Barry Switzer prove pretty much anyone could win with that team?

It sure seemed like longer. Ugh! I definately get your point, but I have to give Jimmy J. a lot of credit for building the team as well as coaching them. History has proven Jerry Jones wasn't the brains behind the operation! How long has Orlando Pace been eligible? He seems like a lock to be for an early entrance. A lot of other good names on there.

List announced today on NFL Network

Morten Anderson
Jerome Bettis
Tim Brown
Don Coryell
Terrell Davis
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Jimmy Johnson
John Lynch
Orlando Pace
Bill Polian
Junior Seau
Will Shields
Mick Tingelhoff
Kurt Warner
Ron Wolf

I'm going to say:

Don Coryell

Orlando Pace

Charles Haley

Marvin Harrison

Bill Polian

Jerome Bettis

Side note: I have no idea how Terrell Davs--a guy with a total of 4 good years, is a HOF nominee. If he makes it, then so too should Jamal Lewis, who's name will never be brought up in the discussion.

As I've observed with Howie Long, a constant presence on the TV post-retirement helps out a cause tremendously.

Side note: I have no idea how Terrell Davs--a guy with a total of 4 good years, is a HOF nominee. If he makes it, then so too should Jamal Lewis, who's name will never be brought up in the discussion.

I agree he shouldn't make it into the Hall due to not having the longevity, but its easy to see why he is on the list of nominees. He was the premier running back of his era, an era where RB was still a coveted position, and a huge anchor to two Super Bowl teams. Dude was a beast and my favorite non-Bill player back in that era

Tasker revolutionized his position and what he accomplished as a gunner is still the ideal sought after by today's ST. players. The fact that STers are on the field less than offensive and defensive players is irrelevant to the discussion of HOF worthiness.

Evidently, the Ray Guy selection was an anomaly and not the ushering in of a new era of voter enlightenment.

As for Polien, I'd love to go see him enshrined, but the trip to Canton is a bit of a heavy lift. :)

Didn't keep Gale Sayers out. Actually Sayers had 5 good years. But he also topped out at 1200 yds in his best good season....not 2000.

Doesn't Switzer make a stronger case for Johnson, considering it was basically Johnson's team?

I'm going to say:

Don Coryell

Orlando Pace

Charles Haley

Marvin Harrison

Bill Polian

Jerome Bettis

The most deserving person on that list is Don Coryell. He was a trail blazer and a genius in designing offenses, especially in the passing game. With respect to the offensive side of the game he was a transformative figure. He deservs an overwhelming vote for his induction.

Takser was an important player during the Bills' SB run. However, he doesn't deserve to be on a candidate list for the HOF. He would be the first person to say so.

Edited by JohnC

Until Tasker makes the HOF, then all we hear about the importance of special teams and needing to execute in "all three phrases" is just lip service from the media. Coaches and players know how important STs play is, but the writers don't seem to have a clue. Instead they need to quantify the number of plays on the field as a barometer of a player's impact. I think it's very shortsighted. Perhaps because most haven't seen the direct impact Tasker had in so many games in his career, in spite of the limited number of opportunities in those games.

Steve Tasker: game changer.

GO BILLS!!!

Way too many guys make the NFL HOF. That is how. It is a watered-down achievement.

People complain, but MLB has it pretty correct. If nobody that year is deserving, nobody gets in. This year, cant argue with any of the 4 choices. All rock solid.

It was a different era for one, and for another, he was an outstanding kick returner and receiver as well.

yeah a different era where they ran more!

Their career receiving numbers are almost identical. You don't think Davis might have taken a couple to the house if he had returned punts and kicks?

yeah a different era where they ran more!

Their career receiving numbers are almost identical. You don't think Davis might have taken a couple to the house if he had returned punts and kicks?

Possibly, but they were much different style players IMO. Sayers, from what I've seen, was an open-field threat; a guy that was a home-run hitter. Davis was, to me, more of a workhorse style back.

The player who is most deserving in my opinion is Terrell Davis. He is the greatest running back in NFL postseason history, and it's not even close.

In 8 games, here's what he did:

204 carries

1,150 yards

13 TDs

1 Super Bowl MVP

5.64 ypc

144 ypg

1.6 TDs per game

Averaged over a 16 game season, it adds up to 2,300 yards and 26 TDs. And he did it against the highest level of competition in the highest stakes games.

He didn't play long, but neither did Gale Sayers. Sayers is deserving, and Davis is certainly no less deserving than Sayers.

Edited by dave mcbride

Tasker is more deserving then 80% of the players/ people on that list.........What a rip off.

These players are all a lot more deserving than Tasker. Contrary to Marv's claim about ST representing a third of the game, it's a much more minor part than that. Tasker was a great ST player, but his contribution pales in comparison to what these guys did.
Terrell Davis
Jerome Bettis
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Orlando Pace
Junior Seau
Will Shields
Kurt Warner

These players are all a lot more deserving than Tasker. Contrary to Marv's claim about ST representing a third of the game, it's a much more minor part than that. Tasker was a great ST player, but his contribution pales in comparison to what these guys did.

Terrell Davis

Jerome Bettis

Kevin Greene

Charles Haley

Marvin Harrison

Orlando Pace

Junior Seau

Will Shields

Kurt Warner

I think it's apples and oranges. Feel free to discount special teams all you want, the fact remains that great special teams players can have huge impacts on games, especially at critical times and Tasker is the best ST player that ever played. It's not like his election to the HOF is gonna open the flood gates for anyone else nor does it water down or rob somebody else of a spot. Like Ray Guy, it may take a while, but his contributions to a key element of the game deserve to recognized, regardless of the amount of plays he had in games.

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't keep Gale Sayers out. Actually Sayers had 5 good years. But he also topped out at 1200 yds in his best good season....not 2000.

It was a different era for one, and for another, he was an outstanding kick returner and receiver as well.

Sayers' era was so different that they only had 14 games in a season.

kj

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was whoever engineered the trade with Vikings desserves credit. They simply had the most talent. JJ didn't do squat in miami

This.

That trade should not have been allowed by the league. I think they let it through because Jerry Jones was a big shot new owner, throwing money around, and the league wanted to re-establish it's most popular franchise ("America's Team") that had been struggling for a long time.

The Walker trade was the key to all of it. It threw off the natural competitive balance of the league. And Jerry Jones bought it.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I would select any player in the Hall of Fame to play on my team before selecting Steve Tasker- Special Teams Ace.

(Except I would rather have Tasker than Ray Guy)

Until Tasker makes the HOF, then all we hear about the importance of special teams and needing to execute in "all three phrases" is just lip service from the media. Coaches and players know how important STs play is, but the writers don't seem to have a clue. Instead they need to quantify the number of plays on the field as a barometer of a player's impact. I think it's very shortsighted. Perhaps because most haven't seen the direct impact Tasker had in so many games in his career, in spite of the limited number of opportunities in those games.

Steve Tasker: game changer.

GO BILLS!!

Yeah, well that's pretty much what it is. It's coach speak.

Of course "execute" doesn't necessarily mean you need to excel either. I think most coaches would be happy with consistent, mistake free special teams. Just don't screw up, good plays are gravy, and big plays can't really be counted on.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The most deserving person on that list is Don Coryell. He was a trail blazer and a genius in designing offenses, especially in the passing game. With respect to the offensive side of the game he was a transformative figure. He deservs an overwhelming vote for his induction.

Takser was an important player during the Bills' SB run. However, he doesn't deserve to be on a candidate list for the HOF. He would be the first person to say so.

Agreed on Coryell. He was brilliant and his coaching tree is legendary. He changed the game.

Do not agree on Tasker. He was phenomenal. If he says he doesn't deserve to be on the list, it's because he's a humble man.

He changed the game.

Seau is a lock

As much as any player.

Edited by Nanker

Agreed on Coryell. He was brilliant and his coaching tree is legendary. He changed the game.

Do not agree on Tasker. He was phenomenal. If he says he doesn't deserve to be on the list, it's because he's a humble man.

He changed the game.

As much as any player.

So who in the HoF do you feel is less deserving than Tasker?