Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love you Deano but that line of thinking is outdated IMO. Malzahn already make like $1.5M more a year than Marrone so he isn't leaving for a coordinator job. The Bills would have to give Schwartz a hefty raise and the defensive staff would remain.

The college game is influencing the pro game now not the other way around. That's why you have seen Harbaugh, Carroll and Kelly all have success recently. Jim Mora Jr. will do the same. I don't care about where they coached I care about their philosophy. Malzahn's ability to control pace, personnel and space will be spectacular in the NFL IMO.

You are one of my most respected posters, but we will continue to disagree on this. Harbaugh and Carrol had previous NFL coaching experience, which means they had experience coaching men---men who made big salaries. They also build good NFL networks with position coaches. Kelly remains the ONLY HC in the league with no previous NFL experience. While the college game may "influence" the pro game, it isn't a slam dunk for a guy who has been good in one, to be good in the other. Too much failed history here to suggest otherwise.

And while Gus offense may be brilliant, he doesn't get to "recruit" for that offense in the NFL. Maybe, after a few offseason and a few drafts, he gets the kind of players he needs to make it work. Can he adjust in the meantime? Seriously, if he is offered big money to enter the NFL at a coordinator position and that is "beneath" him, I'm not sure the NFL is the place for him. You can be a successful NFL coach one year, and a coordinator for a year or two, until you get hired as a HC again. Happens all the time. If he really wants to be in the NFL he should be open to taking a coordinator job---of course, if the money is right.

Nobody who hasn't been an NFL head coach is a "sure thing" to be a good one. However a guy who has a good track record as a good NFL coach has already proven he can be, and might be the safer bet, IMO.

Marrone is probably going to poach either Henderson or Pepper Johnson to run his defense I will assume. I hope it's not Henderson. We don't have to let them go unless they get a promotion, which would be to DC. One of the good things Marrone did last year, a very good thing but a no brainer, was to not let Henderson interview with the Browns so we got to keep him. He's very, very good.

This is easy to fix, somehow, there is a lot of wiggle room. Block the interviews, for one. If I am the Bills I deny any interview chances Marrone asks for, he can go !@#$ himself.

If necessary just give Pepper Johnson more money, and Henderson Assistant HC label.

Which is more likely to have changed the culture of the Bills, Marrone and his attitude and his conservative style, or guys like Hughes and Graham and Dixon and Kiko and Spikes that Whaley brought in, along with Pettine/and Schwartz the defensive coaches?

Asked another way, how many wins came largely on the back of the offense?

This is easy to fix, somehow, there is a lot of wiggle room. Block the interviews, for one. If I am the Bills I deny any interview chances Marrone asks for, he can go !@#$ himself.

If necessary just give Pepper Johnson more money, and Henderson Assistant HC label.

I think Pepper and Donnie would rather stay with Schwartz, if we choose to keep him in whatever capacity.

You cant block them if they are promotions. It would be a promotion. He can get one but not the other.

AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!

National media had no idea how bad our offense was and are shocked at what happened. What happened was Doug Marrone cared more about his failed choice of an OC more than he did to stay in Buffalo and fix the situation on offense. This team can't wait on Hackett to come around, he was ridiculously horrible and this team needs a LOT better than that!

Edited by 1billsfan

Well damn, I was wrong about Marrone! Sonofa...

Im shocked, pissed, and exhausted from all this restarting.

One thing is for sure, I cant wait to chant "QUIIIIIT-EERRRRR" when Marrone returns to coach against Buffalo.

If he goes to the Jets, this D will CRUSH him.

You cant block them if they are promotions. It would be a promotion. He can get one but not the other.

understood.

however, if we went with schwartz as HC, Henderson as DC and Johnson remained at DL then just label him assistant HC, too. Sure, it sounds funny and may even take a lot of clever work, but you really can't just upgrade a guy past assistant HC by simply making him DC.

Amazing that marrone has a double dip option now. that's one bad contract the bills gave him. Maybe those brandon to the raiders rumors are true.

Did they have a choice with uncertain ownership situation? Marrone could have declined and they'd have hired someone who was not smart enough to ask for a change in control provision?

Just because Schwartz is under contract doesn't mean he stays. The new HC (assuming it's not Schwartz) may want his own guy.

I hope the Bills hire an offensive minded HC who keeps Schwartz.

Then again, if the Bills hire Cowher or Dungy, I'll be thrilled.

Why? Cowher and Dungy are now TV fat cats who likely won't want to put in the long hours and endure the stress that being an NFL coach brings after being coddled on TV for years.

Those who wanted him gone and celebrating his departure - careful what you wish for. IMHO, Marrone was not the problem with this organization. OC and OL coach both were far bigger issues and now the baby has decided to jump before the bath water was readying for being thrown out.

Schwartz should NOT be the HC.

The HC who specializes in OL play is a far lesser issue than the OL coach...

Not the dumbest thing I've heard in 2014 but you only have 4.5 hours to beat it.

Edited by BuffOrange

I hope whoever replaces him is a legitimate coach instead of the recycled bottom of the barrel that we've had to endure. The parallels between Marrone and Mike Mularkey are pretty amazing. Hopefully what follows this time is with a better result.

THIS x1000. Good riddance.

I hope whoever replaces him is a legitimate coach instead of the recycled bottom of the barrel that we've had to endure. The parallels between Marrone and Mike Mularkey are pretty amazing. Hopefully what follows this time is with a better result.

THIS x1000. Good riddance.

Thats why we have you as advisor !

Its war for one thing. and thats fine. how it should be. Schwartzes program is solid now. He has the guys in place.

Fix the O

Edited by 3rdand12

I think he knew they were going to ask him to fire Hackett so he asked for an extension for him. They said screw you so he said screw you. I think it was all about protecting hackett. IMO, the best part of this whole thing is that Hackett is gone. I just hope schwartz stays with the team.

Best record in 10 years, and the QB and HC get run out of town.... Weird place. All we needed was a couple relatively easy improvements on offense, and instead we will be starting over again, it seems. Oh well... Life as a Bills fan.

Hope Schwartz sticks around as either DC or HC, at least.

they didn't get run out, Orton is a puss and st doug didn't get his way so he bolted

Pat Kirwan on NFLN speculated that whoever let that clause in the contract would be fired.

Fired? How about a hefty raise.

Seriously though I would think that clause would be fairly normal. It was no secret that Ralph was old and it seems like a fair clause for a newly hired coach. I don't think Marrone was doing anything wrong trying to leverage it; he just didn't have the juice....it would take a lot to get an extension for Hackett. Not sure if Marrone made a smart move but if he can get paid twice inn 2015 and get a 3 year contract from a new team, it's not a dumb thing for him to do. If he goes somewhere and decides to rely on his coordinators and hire good ones, he could succeed.

For the Bills I think it is almost lucky. It would have been judged harshly if they fired a 9-7 coach even with new ownership but at the same time there were some obvious shortcomings on the offensive side. Now they have a shot at correcting things and still have the horses on defense with Schwartz in place.....even if Schwartz leaves, can you name one prospective DC that wouldn't salivate at this roster.