You pick our next OC

BmarvB

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get an OC who understands the current style of NFL offense. One who will have pass routes that go past the first down marker on 3rd down. A guy who will tell the coach, no, we will not punt. We can make this 4th and 1. A OC who tailors the plays and game plan to his players strengths. In short, everything Hackett is not.

And, because we have a HC who doesn't know this, we need a new HC more.

Bottom line is we need a veteran OC who knows WTH he's doing

You don't say?

If Marrone goes, hire Darrell Bevell. Winning pedigree, innovative offensive mind and a pupil of the best player coach in todays NFL, Pete Carrol. I'd love to see what he could do with this team.

Here is my quick fix, although I have no idea if the main component of it would want the job, and with an assist to Kirby Jackson for first putting the idea of the HC in my head.

1] Whaley tells Marrone we want you as the coach, but you must fire your OC plus OL and maybe the entire staff, and bring in a new one.

2] Marrone says not a chance, I will quit before I do that.

3] Whaley says that is your choice. We like you, we don't like how this offense performs. Marrone quits.

4] The Bills hire Gus Malzhan, the HC of Auburn who is the next big star offensive minded coach.

5] On the same day, the Bills give Schwartz a huge raise and promote him to Associate Head Coach, to help Malzahn with a lot of the duties a college coach coming to the NFL needs help with, perhaps with the caveat that Schwartz wait at least one year before interviewing for HC jobs.

I'd be all in on this. For the record, I'd be fine with Marrone staying another year, but for the first time all year I'll say Hackett has to go. He's had two years and the offense is simply uncoordinated.

Bill Callahan

Frank Reich (Asst HC job)

It's funny you say that because I'd like to see us get Scott Linehan off of Dallas for our next OC. Reunite him with Schwartz and if somehow we could get Tom Cable to get thrown into the mix as our OL Coach then I think that we would have the right coaches for the personnel that we currently have.

Ok, who would you like to see running the offense next season? There should be some pretty good offensive minds available once the firings begin.

OC is a tough call because it's hard to identify good play callers when they haven't done it.

Offense is the creative side of the ball. A good QB/RB/OL coach could easily have no feel for play calling.

Good, proven, progressive play callers are easiest found at the OC level in college and that is a huge jump from college OC to pro OC.

Defense.....there are always guys out there that can run a good defense given sound talent. Not that there isn't nuance to calling a good game defensively....and some guys like Wanny plain lose it.... but there are only so many ways to play defense and do it soundly.

It's also hard to find good proven NFL OC's on the street because they are usually directly responsible for their firing or are in demand for HC jobs.

I think Marrone is a prime example of a very well regarded offensive assistant who can't call plays. When he was an OC, Sean Peyton called plays. In Buffalo, he doesn't seem to have a better answer than what Hackett is calling.

But with all due respect to their suckitude on offense......they sure appeared to have a more progressive approach when they first arrived. IMO you have to attack the defense and keep them on their heels.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

OC is a tough call because it's hard to identify good play callers when they haven't done it.

Offense is the creative side of the ball. A good QB/RB/OL coach could easily have no feel for play calling.

Good, proven, progressive play callers are easiest found at the OC level in college and that is a huge jump from college OC to pro OC.

Defense.....there are always guys out there that can run a good defense given sound talent. Not that there isn't nuance to calling a good game defensively....and some guys like Wanny plain lose it.... but there are only so many ways to play defense and do it soundly.

It's also hard to find good proven NFL OC's on the street because they are usually directly responsible for their firing or are in demand for HC jobs.

I think Marrone is a prime example of a very well regarded offensive assistant who can't call plays. When he was an OC, Sean Peyton called plays. In Buffalo, he doesn't seem to have a better answer than what Hackett is calling.

But with all due respect to their suckitude on offense......they sure appeared to have a more progressive approach when they first arrived. IMO you have to attack the defense and keep them on their heels.

Agree with all of this.

A good OC is a combination of a lot of things but it starts at QB. The Bills don't have one.

I'd also add that offensive HC hire foot soldiers to run their Offense. Payton does it. Reid does it. McCarthy does it. And I believe Marrone does it. Hacketts a foot soldier running Marrones scheme.

lets pick an OC with a solid to good or even great veteran quarterback, those guys always seem to be good offensive coordinators. Don't take the coordinator with the bad quarterbacks they don't seem to be as good. :flirt:

most importantly can they bring that good qb with them ?

Edited by CardinalScotts

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say hire Chan Gailey. He does well with noodle-armed QBs and Linemen who can't block their way out of a paper bag.

he made Spiller, Urbick, Pears and others look good so it could work

Go get Scott Frost from Oregon as your OC. Let him install that up-tempo run-first offense. It would be a perfect fit for Buffalo winters and EJ Manuel.

is that the same Scott Frost who was a Nebraska QB ?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Broadly speaking, I would say the candidates are:

1.) Coaches (likely to be) fired after this season with offensive experience:

a.) Tony Sparano (HC-Raiders)

b.) Marc Trestman (HC-Bears)

2.) OCs working for coaches (likely to be) fired after this season:

a.) Marty Mohrninweg (OC-Jets)

b.) Greg Olson (OC-Raiders)

c.) Ben McAdoo (OC-Giants)

d.) Aaron Kromer (OC-Bears) Note - worked with Marrone in NO.

e.) Dirk Koetter (OC-Falcons)

f.) Greg Roman (OC-49ers)

3.) Offensive Coaches fired after last season not working as OCs:

a.) Rob Chudzinski (Former HC-Browns, now "Special Assistant" in Indy.

b.) Mike Munchak (Former HC-Titans, now OL coach in Pittsburgh, never been an OC)

just curious as to why a run first coach would be risky. IMO teams now are built to stop the pass and rush the passer I think a strong running team would do well against this type of defense. A strong running team would keep the time of possession in our favor the opposing qb off the field and our defense well rested. it is much easier to build a strong o-line and find a good running back than it is finding a quarterback. it also takes the pressure off of a young QB. We are built to be a running team with our strong defense. if we had a decent run game and not throw the ball 40+ times a game we would be in the playoffs.

just curious as to why a run first coach would be risky. IMO teams now are built to stop the pass and rush the passer I think a strong running team would do well against this type of defense. A strong running team would keep the time of possession in our favor the opposing qb off the field and our defense well rested. it is much easier to build a strong o-line and find a good running back than it is finding a quarterback. it also takes the pressure off of a young QB. We are built to be a running team with our strong defense. if we had a decent run game and not throw the ball 40+ times a game we would be in the playoffs.

What you are talking about is what the Bills tried to do this season.

Didn't work.

Not saying it can't work with better personnel but in the interest of playoffs or bust Marrone and Hackett abandoned their up-tempo 2013 attack for a slow-down.

They wanted to run the ball more in 2014 but down and distance is what kept them from running more....not a lack of commitment to it.

When you are one dimensional any defense can adapt to what you do. Teams took away the run and rushed the passer on their way to the backfield because the Bills interior OL was a turnstyle.

The more aggressive hurry-up approach of 2013 actually better served the young QB's.

Broadly speaking, I would say the candidates are:

1.) Coaches (likely to be) fired after this season with offensive experience:

a.) Tony Sparano (HC-Raiders)

b.) Marc Trestman (HC-Bears)

2.) OCs working for coaches (likely to be) fired after this season:

a.) Marty Mohrninweg (OC-Jets)

b.) Greg Olson (OC-Raiders)

c.) Ben McAdoo (OC-Giants)

d.) Aaron Kromer (OC-Bears) Note - worked with Marrone in NO.

e.) Dirk Koetter (OC-Falcons)

f.) Greg Roman (OC-49ers)

3.) Offensive Coaches fired after last season not working as OCs:

a.) Rob Chudzinski (Former HC-Browns, now "Special Assistant" in Indy.

b.) Mike Munchak (Former HC-Titans, now OL coach in Pittsburgh, never been an OC)

would love to see Tony Sparano on our sideline! dude fired up one of the most depressing locker room of the NFL's last decade.

Guys, you realize that you're likely getting none of these guys that would be better than what we have, as we have, at best, a "middling" HC, on a team that, ownership change aside, has a history of 3-and-outing their head coaches after not showing much. What top college name or established/intriguing up-and-coming position coach would leave their current position that made them look so competent and attractive when they might be thrown out with the bath water after the 2015 season, then be looking for another job as a now 1-time failed OC.

You realize he's won two championships since buffalo fired him and is currently working for a pretty descent Dallas team

I thought he retired?

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Kevin-Gilbride-announces-retirement-/39f3eaa8-3858-4d4e-8977-59fcaed839e3

He wanted a head coaching job, but didn't get any offers I guess.

Anyone mention Mike Martz? He's had success in the past and after hearing him mentioned on Sirius it got me thinking. If anything going forward bringing in Martz to work with our QB and/or our OC would help.

He's a lot like Chan Gailey.

Edited by jboyst62

Anyone mention Mike Martz? He's had success in the past and after hearing him mentioned on Sirius it got me thinking. If anything going forward bringing in Martz to work with our QB and/or our OC would help.

He's a lot like Chan Gailey.

He's been away for a while. Would also completely shut down any Cutler talk.

He's been away for a while. Would also completely shut down any Cutler talk.

Really? On Sirius they were saying Cutler would only be successful being matched with Martz again. That's where I got Martz's name from.

I know he has been away for a while but so was Gailey. In the right role I think Martz would be helpful, but I would be weary of bringing in someone who might get too far over the next guys shoulder.

Rod Chudzinski would be a big upgrade over Hackett plus he looks like Marrones little brother. Chuds can be instrumental in bringing in Cameron Jordan considering we had a career yr in his offense. Plus Chuds works great with #1 wrs Sammy would definitely be targeted heavily in his scheme.

Yes Chudzinski would be great he has experience and he's done fine with all his offenses that he's coached. Plus he's well rounded in the rushing and passing attacks

Greg Roman would be my first choice if he comes available after the season.

Greg Roman won't be an OC anymore after the season the 49ers just had on Offense. What he would be great for is Oline coach- -running gm assistant. I would love to add him in this capacity.

Really? On Sirius they were saying Cutler would only be successful being matched with Martz again. That's where I got Martz's name from.

I know he has been away for a while but so was Gailey. In the right role I think Martz would be helpful, but I would be weary of bringing in someone who might get too far over the next guys shoulder.

They clearly don't know Martz and Cutler's history. They hate each other. Martz trashed Cutler before getting hired by Chicago. It was going well but then fell apart and Cutler said that he wanted somebody to tell Martz to "go !@#$ himself."

Very interesting but very risky. A run first coach in today's NFL?

You do realize Seattle the defending Super Bowl champions are a run first team and San Fran was primarily a run first team under Harbaugh getting to 3 consecutive conference championship games and one Super Bowl losing to the Ravens who most would say were also a run first team.

I still believe that you win the game at the line of scrimmage and being able to run and stop the run is just as important now as it was 20 years ago especially when you don't have a top 5 QB

Edited by Max997

You do realize Seattle the defending Super Bowl champions are a run first team and San Fran was primarily a run first team under Harbaugh getting to 3 consecutive conference championship games and one Super Bowl losing to the Ravens who most would say were also a run first team.

I still believe that you win the game at the line of scrimmage and being able to run and stop the run is just as important now as it was 20 years ago especially when you don't have a top 5 QB

Do we have a Marshawn Lynch playing at a hall of fame level? Frank Gore in his prime? Funny how easy it is to be run first with Lynch or pass first with Manning. The players dictate the great systems.

Does it really matter who the OC is as long as Marrone is the HC? This offense is conservative and stale because that's what Marrone is. He'd rather throw a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 10 rather than risk throwing it downfield. It seems like whenever we're in FG range, the plan is to not do anything to jeopardize the FG opportunity. Instead of attacking and going for the end zone we'll play the dink and dunk game. If we get yards after the catch that lead to TDs then great but the goal appears to always at least get 3 points.

You ever wonder why it seems like we never take shots at the end zone when near or in the red zone? Or why we would trade up to draft a guy who is supposed to be 'open even when he's covered' but we don't really take shots and trust him to make a play? Our playoff hopes are on the line and our aging RB had more targets and receptions than our #1 WR. It's a problem and I attribute it to Marrone since everything goes through him.