Per Adam Shefter: Bears may have to trade draft pick to get rid of Cut

Tipster19

As far as I know Schefter has been reliable and if this is anywheres accurate then this would be a first in trading a player.

This was reported on Bleacher Report and I'm not allowed to paste the link but here is what was said.

1 hr ·

Several NFL executives believe that it’s possible for Bears QB Jay Cutler to go from being benched to becoming a first-scenario, test-case trade. Never before has a team trading a player also had to give up drat-pick compensation to get rid of him. But some NFL executives believe that with any team having to absorb $25.5 million worth of guarantees in Cutler’s contract, the Bears might have to package a decent draft pick to get another team to take him. NFL rules dictate that nominal compensation must be exchanged between teams, but it could mean another team surrendering a late-round pick to Chicago for Cutler and a better pick. Such a scenario could enrage Bears fans, but to get a team to take on so much guaranteed money that could be used on valuable free agents and contract extensions, the Bears just might have to compensate a team with more than Cutler to do it.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know Schefter has been reliable and if this is anywheres accurate then this would be a first in trading a player.

This was reported on Bleacher Report and I'm not allowed to paste the link but here is what was said.

1 hr ·

Several NFL executives believe that it's possible for Bears QB Jay Cutler to go from being benched to becoming a first-scenario, test-case trade. Never before has a team trading a player also had to give up drat-pick compensation to get rid of him. But some NFL executives believe that with any team having to absorb $25.5 million worth of guarantees in Cutler's contract, the Bears might have to package a decent draft pick to get another team to take him. NFL rules dictate that nominal compensation must be exchanged between teams, but it could mean another team surrendering a late-round pick to Chicago for Cutler and a better pick. Such a scenario could enrage Bears fans, but to get a team to take on so much guaranteed money that could be used on valuable free agents and contract extensions, the Bears just might have to compensate a team with more than Cutler to do it.

Very interesting….But I definitely don't want him here.

Very interesting….But I definitely don't want him here.

hes better than any QB we've had since #12. He would instantly make is better on offense.

With that said, I would rather have many other QBs that may be available. But add in maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick and it's intriguing.

Send a 4th for their second for him! Do it!

If they are that willing to get rid of him, I would in a heartbeat...on press coverage today, they said he needs to go to a team with a good defense (✅) good special team (✅) and is in a smaller market (✅) but lacks a good QB (✅) jay cutler on this team is the difference between 9-7 and 11-5...imho, getting an additional 2nd round picks means 2 quality OL prospects or possible Hughes replacement.

Send a 4th for their second for him! Do it!

We don't have a 4th Rounder to give. Personally I think Cutler ends up in Tennessee due to his Vandy ties. I think we stick with the Orton and Manuel show but we add another guy this year but also shore up other holes this offseason. That other guy is going to be a low risk vet (I know people don't like TJ Yates but think he is the type of QB we should look at) or a low draft pick that could develop. As this team to me is not simply a QB away from stepping up. I think we also lack good TEs and of course everyone knows our OGs stink.

Edited by The Jokeman

you want a blockbuster deal? Trade hughes, manuel and a 3rd for the bears first and cutler. The bears pick will be a top ten one so I think its pretty far fetched but if there are two qb's gone by their pick maybe they bite.

they would need to sign Hughes before they can trade him, I think. They could only trade him before the October deadline or after the season, he won't be signed at that point.

you want a blockbuster deal? Trade hughes, manuel and a 3rd for the bears first and cutler. The bears pick will be a top ten one so I think its pretty far fetched but if there are two qb's gone by their pick maybe they bite.

How can the Bills trade a guy not under contract? Or are you thinking of a sign and trade deal with Hughes? Yet I can't see it happening as the Bears already have some good DEs in Allen and Young on their roster and of course have an injured Lamarr Houston that coming back to them next year.

Edited by The Jokeman

We don't have a 4th Rounder to give. Personally I think Cutler ends up in Tennessee due to his Vandy ties. I think we stick with the Orton and Manuel show but we add another guy this year but also shore up other holes this offseason. That other guy is going to be a low risk vet (I know people don't like TJ Yates but think he is the type of QB we should look at) or a low draft pick that could develop.

we have the niners 4 th rounder

We don't have a 4th Rounder to give. Personally I think Cutler ends up in Tennessee due to his Vandy ties. I think we stick with the Orton and Manuel show but we add another guy this year but also shore up other holes this offseason. That other guy is going to be a low risk vet (I know people don't like TJ Yates but think he is the type of QB we should look at) or a low draft pick that could develop.

we do have a 4th rounder. Unless brown meets his production qualifiers (doubt it but we don't know what they are), the pick we gave Philly for him goes to 2016. Actually if Stevie hits his, it's a 3rd rounder this year. Edited by YoloinOhio

hes better than any QB we've had since #12. He would instantly make is better on offense.

With that said, I would rather have many other QBs that may be available. But add in maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick and it's intriguing.

You think so? He's so good that the Bears have to bribe teams to take him off their hands. Try this. Imagine Cutler as a Bills QB and look at his record. How do you feel about him now?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

we do have a 4th rounder. Unless brown meets his production qualifiers (doubt it but we don't know what they are), the pick we gave Philly for him goes to 2016. Actually if Stevie hits his, it's a 3rd rounder this year.

I still can't wrap my head around the SJ13 and Brown trades but have a feeling that in the end whatever pick we were going to get for Stevie ends up in Philly next year.

There is and will always be this dark cloud around Cutler. The Bills have done a really nice job bringing in specific players that fit the mold this team is looking for to take the next step. I would be shocked if we went after him. The price tag is steep and the reward isnt worth the risk. I think that is what it will boil down too. Other teams out there will pony up for him and possible be lured by a high draft pick, I say let them have him.

a possibility but very difficult, which is why you don't see it very often.

hey i'm just completely speculating but i'm sure whaley is thinking of various scenarios and will be at least in on the trade talks. Whaley can ask for the moon and the bears can say no.

I still can't wrap my head around the SJ13 and Brown trades but have a feeling that in the end whatever pick we were going to get for Stevie ends up in Philly next year.

probably not - which is why Whaley wanted brown inactive for as long as possible this season. Without knowing the production qualifiers exactly, Stevie has played all year, brown has only played 7 games and shared carries. I don't think he has any TDs. This is a good breakdown of the trade. It is confusing. But we should have 7-8 draft picks this year with Tampa's 5th and the pick for Brown moving to next yr.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/2015-nfl-draft/

hey i'm just completely speculating but i'm sure whaley is thinking of various scenarios and will be at least in on the trade talks. Whaley can ask for the moon and the bears can say no.

Whaley and this team talked about bringing in a winning culture. I don't thinking adding a guy like Cutler is going to do that. I know many fans don't want to hear it but based on what the market has available I think Orton/Manuel and a low risk guy is the best plan for 2015 as long as we keep this D together and add a veteran or two to help the offense. As to me the only 2 QBs to me worth pursing this offseason would be Sam Bradford or Eli Manning but doubt either one would truly be available and/or the cost would be too much.

Edited by The Jokeman

probably not - which is why Whaley wanted brown inactive for as long as possible this season. Without knowing the production qualifiers exactly, Stevie has played all year, brown has only played 7 games and shared carries. I don't think he has any TDs. This is a good breakdown of the trade. It is confusing. But we should have 7-8 draft picks this year with Tampa's 5th and the pick for Brown moving to next yr.

http://blogs.buffalo...2015-nfl-draft/

Thanks for the post. That makes it a little more clearer except for the stats Brown has to hit to determine what pick we ultimately give up for him.

Thanks for the post. That makes it a little more clearer except for the stats Brown has to hit to determine what pick we ultimately give up for him.

i am not sure if/when that info is released. More likely that we just find out where the picks land and come to the conclusion on who hit what qualifier.

Haha. The hype Cutler gets is unreal. The myth that Cutler will be better and more mature on his 3rd time is becoming as good as Orton becoming a franchise qb on his 5th.

Teams don't get rid of good Qbs unless there are major issues.

Cutler is a lot closer to Fitz than Brady.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Cutler is by far and away the best QB available this offseason. Even if we had a 1st rounder, it would be late teens and only QB with elite talent and has right attitude is Marriota. And even with Marriota.... Would we really want to endure a rookie QB with the D we will have???? We need basically a modern day (more pass orientared) version on Trent Dlifer was to that Ravens SB squad.

Cutler may have his question marks but if he came here and knows its his last shot at "making it" and with tough coach like Marrone (hopefully a new OC) who Jay can actually learn from. Not some doof he;s practically same age as in Hackett. Even though are skill position players are not Forte, Bennett, Jeffery and Marshall.. Not many teams do but he do have A LOT of talent outside and hopefully we add another target via FA or draft.

With our D, i'd take a guy like Cutler who when is on... is on fire. I know he's stunk this yr and hopefully he learns from it and has chip on his shoulder. If we were to get compensated as well with let's say a 3rd???? i'd take it in a second and trade that 3rd and our 4th and try and get another 2nd rounder.

This team has VERY few holes... Problem is, our biggest hole is half the battle... a darn QB! u cant be a contender with what we got and from what will be out there, Cutler is the best.

We trade for Jay, sign FA and draft OL in 2nd or 3rd and re-sign Hughes and extend Marcel (at worst, exercise team option on him even tho it may cause holdout).

You think so? He's so good that the Bears have to bribe teams to take him off their hands. Try this. Imagine Cutler as a Bills QB and look at his record. How do you feel about him now?

I totally understand what you're saying but I think we can agree our team is ready to win now. Our options our likely to be very limited to upgrade the QB position. I think most would agree that it's the QB position that's keeping us from being a playoff team (which of course we're still not out of), but i'm sure you understand what I mean. I'm not in love with Cutler but given our limited options unfortunately we have to explore this. How would you feel about Orton and EJ fighting for the job next year?

You really need to explain that leap of logic since Cutler is 5-9 and riding the pine this week. Last I checked the Bills are 8-6.

I misread your post. But you need to explain your leap of logic on "how we feel" about Cutler if we were 5-9. Makes little sense to me, mostly because, like you said, we aren't 5-9.

This won't happen. I think the more likely scenario is that they have to end up cutting him and eating the dead money.

thats a ton of money to eat. It's essentially a two year deal right? You bring him in with the right oc who can handle him and not make him do much. If they are offering a 2nd rounder I'd bite on that to grab a qb there or some o line help or a te. It's a crazy idea but something crazy is going to happen with this deal. We have the offensive weapons and the defense

I totally understand what you're saying but I think we can agree our team is ready to win now. Our options our likely to be very limited to upgrade the QB position. I think most would agree that it's the QB position that's keeping us from being a playoff team (which of course we're still not out of), but i'm sure you understand what I mean. I'm not in love with Cutler but given our limited options unfortunately we have to explore this. How would you feel about Orton and EJ fighting for the job next year?

The Bears have been ready to win now for years.