Per Adam Shefter: Bears may have to trade draft pick to get rid of Cut

Tipster19

This. The only reason people rate him is because of the mediocrity around the league that makes him look better by comparison.

his stats are misleading as well. He throws for a lot of yards because his defense is abysmal and they are always playing from behind. Yet when the Bears had a top 5 a few years ago he still didn't make the playoffs. He has made the playoffs once in his nine year career! Why would we think he will make us a playoff team? Also he has 24 turnovers in 15 games. 24! Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a ton of money to eat. It's essentially a two year deal right? You bring him in with the right oc who can handle him and not make him do much. If they are offering a 2nd rounder I'd bite on that to grab a qb there or some o line help or a te. It's a crazy idea but something crazy is going to happen with this deal. We have the offensive weapons and the defense

You might be right-- I didn't realize the 2015 cap hit to them would be like $19 mill, if they cut him!

I think the only way this would work out for the Bears is if they traded him and agreed to take on at least half of that salary. Or, I wonder if Cutler would be amenable to restructuring upon execution of a trade.

his stats are misleading as well. He throws for a lot of yards because his defense is abysmal and they are always playing from behind. Yet when the Bears had a top 5 a few years ago he still didn't make the playoffs. He has made the playoffs once in his nine year career! Why would we think he will make us a playoff team? Also he has 24 turnovers in 15 games. 24!

You don't think he racks up turn overs because he plays from behind as well. And he went to the NFC Chip game with a top 5 D. That's probably why.

I misread your post. But you need to explain your leap of logic on "how we feel" about Cutler if we were 5-9. Makes little sense to me, mostly because, like you said, we aren't 5-9.

What I was saying is if Cutler had the season he just had as a Bill we would run him out of town. But inexplicably some here see him as an upgrade. Don't understand that at all. Just like I don't understand the love for Sam Bradford, who I see as a huge bust.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

we do have a 4th rounder. Unless brown meets his production qualifiers (doubt it but we don't know what they are), the pick we gave Philly for him goes to 2016. Actually if Stevie hits his, it's a 3rd rounder this year.

I suspect that the reason Johnson has been phased out of the Niners offense lately is because a) they aren't going anywhere and b) they don't want to give up a 3rd.

What I was saying is if Cutler had the season he just had as a Bill we would run him out of town. But inexplicably some here see him as an upgrade. Don't understand that at all. Just like I don't understand the love for Sam Bradford, who I see as a huge bust.

But that's just it he's not 5-9 with us, but he is with them and they are a terrible team. You don't understand at all why folks would think Cutler is an upgrade over Orton - just comparing the two QB's?

Jay Cutler is a loser. He's lost everywhere he's been. Now, why, exactly, would you trade for him?

Because the QBs on our roster now are much bigger losers! That's why.

And because a slightly better than average QB like Cutler is the difference between being in the playoffs and not.

If you can come up with someone better, I'm all ears. Barring that, I'd take Cutler and a 2nd round draft pick in a heartbeat.

So what? Explain to me what the "masses" has to do with what I am saying?

Also explain to me how the Bills franchise and the Bears are similar. Do they both have similar needs? Are they both about to undergo a total rebuild? Are they both about to fire their HC?

The situations, needs, and outcomes are completely different. Trying to fan-blame, as always, is ridiculous.

Do agree on Bradford though, the extrapolation argument holds no water with me.

It's because people are desperate.

no I think he fails to elevate those around him. They had a good D for longer than just that one year.

And that's why firing Lovie was a huge mistake. Because they thought that Cutler was Brady.

Anyway, Cutler had 3 winning seasons out of 5 with Lovie. Two of them were 10-6. One playoff appearance, which was an NFC Chip. So he's proven he can go to a playoff with a good D. Has Orton?

I know he can't elevate, which is why he's available. But Orton is throwing picks on check-downs. I'll take Jay throwing picks on 50/50 jump balls over that. Also, IMO, he's a better passer and has more guts than KO.

You think so? He's so good that the Bears have to bribe teams to take him off their hands. Try this. Imagine Cutler as a Bills QB and look at his record. How do you feel about him now?

It isn't about him being an elite QB, it is that he is a clear upgrade to what we have.

The reason they have to bribe teams to take him off their hands is because of the heavy contract. He just isn't worth the contract. That doesn't mean he isn't an NFL QB.

That said, unless his contract changes dramatically, I say no.

And that's why firing Lovie was a huge mistake. Because they thought that Cutler was Brady.

Anyway, Cutler had 3 winning seasons out of 5 with Lovie. Two of them were 10-6. One playoff appearance, which was an NFC Chip. So he's proven he can go to a playoff with a good D. Has Orton?

I know he can't elevate, which is why he's available. But Orton is throwing picks on check-downs. I'll take Jay throwing picks on 50/50 jump balls over that. Also, IMO, he's a better passer and has more guts than KO.

i want to aim higher than no playoffs. 10-6 and no playoffs isn't good enough for that contract. no use comparing him to Orton, at least for me. I don't want him either. And don't ask who I want, because I really don't know who the best guy is for this team who is obtainable. I'll leave that to the pro scouting dept. I just know I hope it's not Cutler.

i want to aim higher than no playoffs. 10-6 and no playoffs isn't good enough for that contract. no use comparing him to Orton, at least for me. I don't want him either. And don't ask who I want, because I really don't know who the best guy is for this team who is obtainable. I'll leave that to the pro scouting dept. I just know I hope it's not Cutler.

I think Cutler is the best QB available, and it's not even close. But the contract does throw a wrench in the works.

It isn't about him being an elite QB, it is that he is a clear upgrade to what we have.

The reason they have to bribe teams to take him off their hands is because of the heavy contract. He just isn't worth the contract. That doesn't mean he isn't an NFL QB.

That said, unless his contract changes dramatically, I say no.

wondering why the Bears don't just fire the DC (should have done that last year) bring in a new DC, and revamp the D in FA and the draft and hang onto Cutler then? They have some decent talent on the DL in Paea and Young and a great young CB in Fuller. Vereen was a decent pick at FS but Conte sucks. Go get a safety in FA and another CB.