Per Adam Shefter: Bears may have to trade draft pick to get rid of Cut

Tipster19

wondering why the Bears don't just fire the DC (should have done that last year) bring in a new DC, and revamp the D in FA and the draft and hang onto Cutler then? They have some decent talent on the DL in Paea and Young and a great young CB in Fuller. Vereen was a decent pick at FS but Conte sucks. Go get a safety in FA and another CB.

They did a lot of that last season. Virtually their entire offseason was defense oriented and they got worse. That's why the coaching staff is gone and a rebuild is in order. And the FO realizes they overpaid for Cutty and he'll hinder them trying to start over.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wondering why the Bears don't just fire the DC (should have done that last year) bring in a new DC, and revamp the D in FA and the draft and hang onto Cutler then? They have some decent talent on the DL in Paea and Young and a great young CB in Fuller. Vereen was a decent pick at FS but Conte sucks. Go get a safety in FA and another CB.

which is why he will probably stay there next year and trestman is gone. they can keep their top ten pick and get help on defense and bring in a new coach

Send a 4th for their second for him! Do it!

and what give up 1/2 of the defensive line for it.

Only so much salary cap room and he'll chew up 15% of it. We need to try to resign Porter and Darius. Can't afford Culter and he's a turnover machine in case you haven't noticed.

You think so? He's so good that the Bears have to bribe teams to take him off their hands. Try this. Imagine Cutler as a Bills QB and look at his record. How do you feel about him now?

Everything is predicated on the level our D plays on next year.

If we had Cutler this year, we beat KC,Miami,and Houston and we'd be in the playoffs.

You think so? He's so good that the Bears have to bribe teams to take him off their hands. Try this. Imagine Cutler as a Bills QB and look at his record. How do you feel about him now?

id feel better going into New England in a week with the playoffs on the line than I do about Kyle Freaking Orton playing that game. Over the last 4 weeks, if defenders just look at Orton, he falls down on his own.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure I'd rather have Cutler and an extra 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

Oh, and I'll still keep Kyle Orton as a backup schmuck to dust off EJs balls once a week.

If we had Cutler this year, we beat KC,Miami,and Houston and we'd be in the playoffs.

If you had Cutler we would be worse . There is no overcoming nearly 30 turnovers by one player

I don't even want to think about all the interceptions per game that Jay Cutler would throw with Hackett as his OC. Trestman is calling about an equal amount of passing plays this year, and the difference is that the Bears are running a WCO with precise timed passing plays. The Bills are running a variation of the Saints passing offense, as near as I can tell, and Orton is far more careful with the ball.

Both Cutler, and Orton need to play QB as a complementary piece in an offense built around the running game, and with a team with a top defense. So they can be used as a play-action passer / game manager in the Alex Smith miold, and not put the whole offense on their shoulders. This would have also worked for EJ too.

Franchise tags only apply to fre agents which he is not, so that does no good here.

I suppose the other option for the Bears would be work out a trade, the get Cutler to agree to redo the contract to convert say $10 mil of the $15 mil into a signing bonus. Chicago would have a $1o mil salary cap hit, but the new team would only cost them $5mil in salary. Maybe as part of the contract redo, he reduces his 2016 salary. What's in it for Cutler, $10 mil upfront and still gets $5 mil in salary

Though I thought there's something out there that prevents a team from re-doing a contract after only one season??

franchise tag and trade him

maybe, but I don't know. He played Miami at home and lost, and only put up 5 more Pts than we did at Miami on a Thursday night.

This is all media BS speculation. Te Bears are not going to give away a high pick to get rid of Cutler in a QB starved league. They might pay a portion of his salary but that's it. Some team will bite for him. I think he'll end up in Houston.

I'm not sure the media said anything about a high pick. That seemed to have just come from fans speculating. I would imagine if they had to trade picks, it would maybe be a 4th for a 5th.

And that's why firing Lovie was a huge mistake. Because they thought that Cutler was Brady.

Anyway, Cutler had 3 winning seasons out of 5 with Lovie. Two of them were 10-6. One playoff appearance, which was an NFC Chip. So he's proven he can go to a playoff with a good D. Has Orton?

I know he can't elevate, which is why he's available. But Orton is throwing picks on check-downs. I'll take Jay throwing picks on 50/50 jump balls over that. Also, IMO, he's a better passer and has more guts than KO.

Who was jays playmakers on O when they went 10-6? I don't know. Did they have Marshall yet?