Game Ball: Doug Whaley

Alphadawg7

How huge have the 3 guys he's picked up the last few weeks been? I mean really they have made major plays to get us 2 wins in the last few weeks.

Whaley may be the most under rated and under appreciated Bill...hes done a fabulous job IMO since he's been here.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Whaley's done a lot of things right this year. He whiffed on Kwonjoe (not even going to try), but look at all the hits. Preston Brown, should be a DROY candidate, but he plays in Buffalo. Picked up Thiggy and Rambo out of a dumpster. Corey Graham. Seantrel Henderson, steal of the draft. Sammy. I probably missed a few. But when was the last time we had 2 starting safeties go down and had a reliable sub left? Whaley is a witch, and while I'd like to see Maroon gone, DW stays.

hear, hear !!!

Marcus Easley is among the best in the business.

So many on TBD want him gone in favor of whoever, every training camp. But an NFL GM should (and ours does) recognize that you dont cut players who are at the top of the league at important positions.

How huge have the 3 guys he's picked up the last few weeks been? I mean really they have made major plays to get us 2 wins in the last few weeks.

Whaley may be the most under rated and under appreciated Bill...hes done a fabulous job IMO since he's been here.

Couldn't agree more! These pick ups have kept us alive and he was the one that made the Sammy trade saying that we are a playoff caliber team. Sammy hasn't been great but he's also been injured and that first round pick is dropping like a rock!

Whaley has done a fantastic job. Now if we only had a QB to get the ball to Sammy more consistently. The pickups of the last few weeks have been great. And the draft was great w/ the exception of taking a guy with knee problems in the 2nd round. Henderson pick, and even trading for M. Williams were great moves. (my view is the M. Williams never played due to Marrone).

How is it possible to think that Whaley is not making this roster a much, much deeper and better roster than we have had this millienium. Rambo was after Byrd left, Meeks went down, Searcy went down, DWilliams went down. That's your fifth guy. Fourth if you don't want to count Byrd.

Both Spiller andMcLuvin are out for the season, which were the main return men, and Thigpen goes 70 for a TD (although he also made some bonehead plays).

How is it possible to think that Whaley is not making this roster a much, much deeper and better roster than we have had this millienium. Rambo was after Byrd left, Meeks went down, Searcy went down, DWilliams went down. That's your fifth guy. Fourth if you don't want to count Byrd.

Both Spiller andMcLuvin are out for the season, which were the main return men, and Thigpen goes 70 for a TD (although he also made some bonehead plays).

Spiller can come back next week and if somewhat healthy gives the Bills a threat in the backfield to at least defenses honest. Edited by Mike in Horseheads

GMs aren't rewarded or recognized for individual games. Their success or failure is measured over a season or even more given their job description.

I temper this because DW was hampered (although he was Asst GM) by a bumbling predecessor and having not been the decider on the HC.

Get into the playoffs in 2014 and get a QB this off season and then he earns praise. That is, if the Pegula's keep him on. Winning the last two games should ensure that.

We are missing Alonso, McKelvin, Searcy and lose Duke Williams in the game. We let Mike Williams run the gambit to IR and replace him with ? And then really!ize Goodwin is glass and get Thigpen.

We are at risk of losing Searcy and Hughes. I say offer Searcy now. Work on Hughes.

Anyway, if you told me that Duke Williams, Barcardi Rambo, some guy named Thigpen would be key players in a game against green bay where Mario Williams is in a stretch as the best DE in the game? I'd have had some doubts.

We are missing Alonso, McKelvin, Searcy and lose Duke Williams in the game. We let Mike Williams run the gambit to IR and replace him with ? And then really!ize Goodwin is glass and get Thigpen.

We are at risk of losing Searcy and Hughes. I say offer Searcy now. Work on Hughes.

Anyway, if you told me that Duke Williams, Barcardi Rambo, some guy named Thigpen would be key players in a game against green bay where Mario Williams is in a stretch as the best DE in the game? I'd have had some doubts.

No kidding right. Too bad we missed our window on trading Mario for Skelton lol

Get into the playoffs in 2014 and get a QB this off season and then he earns praise. That is, if the Pegula's keep him on. Winning the last two games should ensure that.

Even if the Bills tank the next two, which I doubt, I don't think Whaley goes anywhere. He's dug this team out of not just one inept front office job, but two (Marv and Brandon) -- in less than two years. That's impressive even if the QB situation is still up in the air.

Whaley is a great young football mind and we should be thanking our lucky stars he's in Buffalo. IMO

Even if the Bills tank the next two, which I doubt, I don't think Whaley goes anywhere. He's dug this team out of not just one inept front office job, but two (Marv and Brandon) -- in less than two years. That's impressive even if the QB situation is still up in the air.

Whaley is a great young football mind and we should be thanking our lucky stars he's in Buffalo. IMO

+1

You're not alone in that thought. I never quite understand some of the anti-Whaley stuff on here. He seems to be a very solid GM right now.... with 'superstar' potential. Young, gutsy and has conviction.

The guy is MONEY !! If it wasn't for him this team wouldn't be where it is !! It is surviving by the Defensive coaching staff & by the Talent on the offensive side of the ball .

If only the coaching staff had half the clue that the defensive coaches have this team would be great !!

Whaley is extremely good and will get better! He has had some misses, but, all GMs do. The hits he has made are great and the roster...overall...is getting strong!

Aside from finding a QB, building an OL that can move people, and having one of the more unathletic TE's in the league he's done fine replacing blundering Buddy Nix.

Whaley's done a lot of things right this year. He whiffed on Kwonjoe (not even going to try), but look at all the hits. Preston Brown, should be a DROY candidate, but he plays in Buffalo. Picked up Thiggy and Rambo out of a dumpster. Corey Graham. Seantrel Henderson, steal of the draft. Sammy. I probably missed a few. But when was the last time we had 2 starting safeties go down and had a reliable sub left? Whaley is a witch, and while I'd like to see Maroon gone, DW stays.

Why do you think negatively. In fact, Kiko who plays for the Bills was the leading candidate for DROY before the DT from the Jets took it away. If you play well enough, you will get noticed

amazing. win a couple games and its all peaches and cream. fans. hold your powder for a couple more weeks, champ, and see how this 4 game mini season turns out. but yes, Buddy/Whaley have upgraded the roster. Nix's straight up trade for Hughes and tradedown to get both Woods and Kiko in Rd 2 are probably the crown jewels of the bunch. Nix replaced the entire scouting group (including Ralph's daughter(thank goodness) and Whaley is benefitting now. All good. Happy trails BNix.

Edited by 8and8Forever

amazing. win a couple games and its all peaches and cream. fans. hold your powder for a couple more weeks, champ, and see how this 4 game mini season turns out. but yes, Buddy/Whaley have upgraded the roster. Nix's straight up trade for Hughes and tradedown to get both Woods and Kiko in Rd 2 are probably the crown jewels of the bunch. Nix replaced the entire scouting group (including Ralph's daughter(thank goodness) and Whaley is benefitting now. All good. Happy trails BNix.

Whaley traded for Hughes. And I would argue the 2013 draft was Whaley's, owing to the decision to trade down as Nix said in previous years he essentially let the draft come to him. I can't recall Buddy making a trade, at least on day 1, on the 2010-12 drafts. Besides, Buddy was known for taking southern players in 2010-12, whereas Woods and Alonso were PAC-12 guys in 2013.

And Ralph's daughter had already passed by the time Buddy took over as GM on 12/31/09. That said, Whaley did make changes to the personnel department upon taking over from Nix, hiring Monos and Kelvin Fisher.

But the point is that they're not a finished product and things change from year to year. This isn't a slam dunk they'll be a perennial power in the AFCE now.

It won't happen but if I was Whaley, I'd be talking to Briles or Sumlin privately to gage their interest. He has constucted a SB caliber team that has been held back by one group, offense. An upgrade there could take this team to another level.

Whaley, with a few misses, has done an amazing job here. We are lucky to have him.

Your facts are wildly incorrect... but it's you, so I guess that's to be expected. :nana:

Whaley, with a few misses, has done an amazing job here. We are lucky to have him.

I agree.

I think that the single most important thing a team needs to get right over the long run is its ability to evaluate talent. I think Whaley is exceptionally good at that. And I hope he is a really long term employee of this organization. Of all the things I have seen from the Bills these last couple years, my faith in Whaley is the strongest out of anything. I really think he is that good. He will build a Superbowl caliber team very soon if he is allowed to continue this opportunity. He is at the top of his game right now. Let's keep it going.

I agree.

I think that the single most important thing a team needs to get right over the long run is its ability to evaluate talent. I think Whaley is exceptionally good at that. And I hope he is a really long term employee of this organization. Of all the things I have seen from the Bills these last couple years, my faith in Whaley is the strongest out of anything. I really think he is that good. He will build a Superbowl caliber team very soon if he is allowed to continue this opportunity. He is at the top of his game right now. Let's keep it going.

Well said.

So so good to have a proper GM again. Look at the roster we're building. I thought losing Byrd would really hurt and it has, hurt the Saints that is :-)

Whaley has an done an incredible job. They will get the missing pieces for the Offense. Lets Go Buffalo.

And he found a Rambo Too!!!

It won't happen but if I was Whaley, I'd be talking to Briles or Sumlin privately to gage their interest. He has constucted a SB caliber team that has been held back by one group, offense position, QB. An upgrade there could take this team to another level.

Get this team Joe Flacco and hire a guy to polish the trophy

Why is it that Marrone get all the blame for the things that are wrong but none of the credit for what's going well? Our Defense was pretty good last year and Schwartz wasn't here. I don't understand the lack of credit that he gets for being the head coach of a team that is in playoff contention in late December.

Why is it that Marrone get all the blame for the things that are wrong but none of the credit for what's going well? Our Defense was pretty good last year and Schwartz wasn't here. I don't understand the lack of credit that he gets for being the head coach of a team that is in playoff contention in late December.

Why does a thread to praise Whaley mean Marrone isn't getting credit? Just because I started a thread for Whaley doesn't mean know one else gets any credit. It's just time Whaley got some strong praise, the guy has assembled a talented roster for Marrone to coach and done so using all 3 ways to get players...trade, draft, FA signings.

Marrone has made some really stupid calls and some questionable decisions, but he's also done a great job getting this team to where it's at now. Honestly, even if we win out we are still likely to miss playoffs because of games like the KC game where he made some calls that lost us that game. So he's made some mistakes, but he's also getting better and changing the culture and should be here next year.

Hackett needs to be fired though. And as far as Marrone goes, hard for him to get more credit because this team is only where it's at because of the D and Schwartz has made a big impact on it, even without Kiko and Byrd. But you are right, he deserves praise too to have us where we are and he's won me back since he started losing me after the KC game.

Without seeing the replies, I cannot believe that is a majority view. I think he's been flat out terrible in the major decisions he's had to make. I would love to see him and Marrone both gone after this year. We'll never get even with the Patriots with these two guiding the ship.