Pet Peeve Friday -- Broadcasters

eball

Here's something to sink your teeth into. Let's hear your pet peeves regarding broadcasters and announcers. I'll start.

#1 -- the continual, inaccurate use of the phrase "unanswered points." Drives me batty. It will be the 2nd quarter of a game and invariably some announcer will say, "so-and-so have scored 14 unanswered points." The only time that phrase means anything is at the end of the game. Sloppy use of the English language. What's wrong with saying "consecutive" or "straight?"

A tradition started, I believe, by Troy Aikman, and now repeated by many... "He defensed that pass as well as you could have". It should be "defended that pass"...my dad, an old english teacher, used to go nuts on this one...it has now become accepted, even though it is not correct, at all....

Here's something to sink your teeth into. Let's hear your pet peeves regarding broadcasters and announcers. I'll start.

#1 -- the continual, inaccurate use of the phrase "unanswered points." Drives me batty. It will be the 2nd quarter of a game and invariably some announcer will say, "so-and-so have scored 14 unanswered points." The only time that phrase means anything is at the end of the game. Sloppy use of the English language. What's wrong with saying "consecutive" or "straight?"

They should let Goodell police that. First offense, warning. Second offense, four game ban. Third offense, season ban.

There is nothing "wrong" or "inaccurate" about that, as per your own example.

Unanswered, as of the time of the statement, is not inaccurate at all.

You need to define what you mean exactly more clearly.

You start a post to B word about this!? You must be particularly miserable today.

Don't worry; being a Bills fan will do that to you, I know.

Also, bitching about anything Troy Aikman, or any ex professional athlete says incorrectly from a grammatical perspective is rather misplaced in my opinion. Has it occurred to people that pro athletes, as a rule, are not a bright group of people?

If they were, they wouldn't be pro athletes, as a general rule.

There's always room for a bit of statistical deviation in life, of course.

Edited by Stopthepain

There is nothing "wrong" or "inaccurate" about that, as per your own example.

Unanswered, as of the time of the statement, is not inaccurate at all.

You need to define what you mean exactly more clearly.

You start a post to B word about this!? You must be particularly miserable today.

Don't worry; being a Bills fan will do that to you, I know.

It's context...those points will always be answered at some point in the game, unless it ends that way. There's absolutely no need to say "unanswered" points when you have perfectly good words that more accurately reflect the situation.

"The Colts scored 24 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter, and then the Texans scored 14 unanswered points in the 3rd, before the Colts scored in the 4th to pull it out."

I've heard similar statements during many games, and recaps of games. It's ridiculous.

Edited by eball

Overused - Poise (Tasker) & Physicality

X amount of points in X amount of time always irritates me. such as a TD, followed by a fumbled kickoff and then a TD by one team. Yes, it's 2 TD's in 20 seconds or whatever, but it's just really sounds dumb if they point that out.

Also, any female announcer broadcasting a men's game. There are a lot of women that are knowledgeable in sports and I don't mind if they are sideline reporters or part of the pre and/or post game. Just not play by play or color commentating. The best is probably Doris Burke, but she still annoys me and I change the channel. Maybe just me being a caveman, but I don't think I will ever get used to it.

Edited by ricojes

A tradition started, I believe, by Troy Aikman, and now repeated by many... "He defensed that pass as well as you could have". It should be "defended that pass"...my dad, an old english teacher, used to go nuts on this one...it has now become accepted, even though it is not correct, at all....

Similar to the phrase "flied out" in baseball.

My biggest pet peeve with announcers is the incessant use of adjectives as adverbs:

"He got there quick" instead of quickly.

"He threw that perfect" instead of perfectly.

Like nails on a chalkboard...

Seems much ado about nothing in particular. Why is this inaccurate? If team A scores 3 TDs in a span where team B scores 0 points, " twenty one unanswered points" is accurate. " Unanswered is just preferred TV jargon. That is because they are broadcasting a contest, where new viewers could be just joining in at any time. Unanswered tells the story while putting some onus on the opposition, where straight or consecutive describe only the action of the team scoring. The more compelling term is chosen as football is a game of momentum, and a team scoring " unanswered points" clearly has it. This may be enough to keep viewers around ( the name of the game for broadcasters) . If the team scoring them is behind, they clearly have momentum on their side to pull it out. If they are ahead it's " wow, what a clinic Manning is putting on right now" or " what a tire fire the Jets are". Their job is to keep people watching, not bore them with grammar lessons. Just dont get me started about announcers saying " he needed more heighth on that pass" or " He really got upfield quick, Johnson did" ... Err , never mind.

None of this bothers me.

If I had to pick something...

It's when a bad bad call that is obviously a bad call, they stay a little silent or throw it under the rug quickly.

Like, call it like it is. A blown call. A WRONG penalty. Just call it. Show your frustration. Dont just say, "Oh" or stay silent. I have seen this recently.

Chuckie calls it like it is. That's why I like him. My only knock on Chuckie is he is super duper hot for Brady.

It's probably more of a coach thing, but I hate any time they use compete as a noun. "I wasn't happy with our compete out there today".

That sounds pretty stupid. It's more funny than annoying. Who says this by the way? Doesnt make sense.

different sport, but the worst ever is, "he has a high level of compete."

Yes, I was going to bring this up. WTF is with hockey people. First, they made desperation sound like a good thing, and now this ridiculous phrase.

None of this bothers me.

If I had to pick something...

It's when a bad bad call that is obviously a bad call, they stay a little silent or throw it under the rug quickly.

Like, call it like it is. A blown call. A WRONG penalty. Just call it. Show your frustration. Dont just say, "Oh" or stay silent. I have seen this recently.

Chuckie calls it like it is. That's why I like him. My only knock on Chuckie is he is super duper hot for Brady.

That sounds pretty stupid. It's more funny than annoying. Who says this by the way? Doesnt make sense.

Everybody involved in hockey now - the coaches, the analysts, etc.

Mine would be announcers that try to tell you what the player is thinking or feeling, for example, when a player does a slant route and drops a poorly thrown ball that was still able to be caught and the announcer says "Well, you see, there he heard the footsteps and was thinking about the hit he was about to receive" or "In this situation the quarterback is feeling the pressure to do something on this drive" when it's the second quarter and a one score game.

I understand some may have played the game before but I don't like trying to assume a players mindset and trying to portray it to millions of people with no factual basis to point to. The main culprit that I hear do this the most is Chris Collinsworth. It's hard to watch any of his broadcasts for me. Just not my style.

Did anyone listen closely to Phil Simms Thursday night? How does this guy have a job as an analyst and rated No.1? One of the worst and dumbest ever.

One of his comments was that Peyton Manning is a very accurate passer and doesn't get enough credit. Manning doesn't get enough credit? Really?

Said before the game the Broncos may change things up and pick up the pace. They already run a fast paced no-huddle offense. Idiot.

Edited by nucci

Did anyone listen closely to Phil Simms Thursday night? How does this guy have a job as an analyst and rated No.1? One of the worst and dumbest ever.

One of his comments was that Peyton Manning is a very accurate passer and doesn't get enough credit. Manning doesn't get enough credit? Really?

that simms/nantz team is brutal (although in fairness, most announcers suck).

i thought moose did a decent job calling the bills/pats game, but at one point he called tom brady underrated. huh?

Seems much ado about nothing in particular. Why is this inaccurate? If team A scores 3 TDs in a span where team B scores 0 points, " twenty one unanswered points" is accurate. " Unanswered is just preferred TV jargon. That is because they are broadcasting a contest, where new viewers could be just joining in at any time. Unanswered tells the story while putting some onus on the opposition, where straight or consecutive describe only the action of the team scoring. The more compelling term is chosen as football is a game of momentum, and a team scoring " unanswered points" clearly has it. This may be enough to keep viewers around ( the name of the game for broadcasters) . If the team scoring them is behind, they clearly have momentum on their side to pull it out. If they are ahead it's " wow, what a clinic Manning is putting on right now" or " what a tire fire the Jets are". Their job is to keep people watching, not bore them with grammar lessons. Just dont get me started about announcers saying " he needed more heighth on that pass" or " He really got upfield quick, Johnson did" ... Err , never mind.

And why would the statement "the Broncos have scored the last 21 points" not be compelling enough? I stand by my earlier statements -- it may be much ado about nothing, but as someone who appreciates the English language I find it sloppy.

Yes, I was going to bring this up. WTF is with hockey people. First, they made desperation sound like a good thing, and now this ridiculous phrase.

Everybody involved in hockey now - the coaches, the analysts, etc.

Really? Wow. I watch a little hockey during playoffs, maybe that's why I have not noticed it.

That is just incorrect english. Wow. I'm surprised by this one.

When judging if the play results in a first down or not -- "it depends on the spot" - no kidding.

It's live so they have to say something. Or else it would be silent.

If I was an announcer I would probably say something to that effect. Most likely you guys would bash me here. But some would like me since I'm not hot for Brady like Gruden.

Since it's live they will say what's on their mind. The correct thing would probably be something like,"Let's see where they will spot the ball...." But it's live so layman stuff like that will come out.

Really? Wow. I watch a little hockey during playoffs, maybe that's why I have not noticed it.

That is just incorrect english. Wow. I'm surprised by this one.

It's live so they have to say something. Or else it would be silent.

If I was an announcer I would probably say something to that effect. Most likely you guys would bash me here. But some would like me since I'm not hot for Brady like Gruden.

Since it's live they will say what's on their mind. The correct thing would probably be something like,"Let's see where they will spot the ball...." But it's live so layman stuff like that will come out.

I think you should expect more from them. They probably get paid quite well to do this job. I personally don't care all that much how bad they are, but I would think they would try to stop saying stupid things. Announcers that say obvious things are pretty useless in my opinion. Sometimes they just don't think and end up saying stupid things. Looking at another sport - my brothers favorite pet peeve. When a basketball player throws the ball overhand down court, they call it a baseball pass.... they don't pass the ball in baseball. Why don't they call it a basketball pass, since that is exactly what it is.

This is why they are called pet peeves, stupid stuff, but not at all serious.

I think you should expect more from them. They probably get paid quite well to do this job. I personally don't care all that much how bad they are, but I would think they would try to stop saying stupid things. Announcers that say obvious things are pretty useless in my opinion. Sometimes they just don't think and end up saying stupid things. Looking at another sport - my brothers favorite pet peeve. When a basketball player throws the ball overhand down court, they call it a baseball pass.... they don't pass the ball in baseball. Why don't they call it a basketball pass, since that is exactly what it is.

This is why they are called pet peeves, stupid stuff, but not at all serious.

I hear what you're saying. depends on the spot doesnt bug me. heck what do i know i like beer sex and sports, so not too many things bug me to begin with.

Phil Simms How does this guy have a job as an analyst and rated No.1? One of the worst and dumbest ever.

I've got to believe he helps radio ratings quite a bit. Radio call for me when he's on. By far the most annoying announcer IMHO. He regularly states the obvious too.

My pet peeve is when announcers are flummoxed any time a team goes for it on 4th down, regardless of the situation. Or the opposite--like during the Oregon-Cal game the other night, Cal punts on 4th and 1 from their own 40, down by 17 in the 4th quarter to an offense they have barely slowed down all night. Announcers: "Absolutely the right decision, here. They have to punt."

A new pet peeve - watching the end of the Lions- Falcons, the announcers didn't pick up on what I think the Falcons were saying. Shouldn't there have been a 10 second run off after the penalty, like we had last week?

Or at least be mentioned by them why not?