Shad Khan criticizes the Bills game day experience??? WTF???

Beerball

He owns the Jags ferchrissakes and he's bragging about his game day experience in Jacksonville? Doesn't the NFL understand that there are two ingredients and only two ingredients necessary for an outstanding game day experience. They are a team and real, committed football fans. If you're going to a game to see the huge video boards or watch whales swim in the sideline pool then you aren't a fan.

Does Buffalo need a new stadium? Meh. The Ralph for its age has never bothered me one iota & I feel it's a great place to watch a football game. If a new stadium is built I'm OK with that too because everybody wants something new and shiny, but it's not a must have for me.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/a-new-bills-stadium-seen-as-important-20141007?two-bills-drive

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“We played in Buffalo last year, and I got to experience the stadium firsthand,” Khan said. “Just like anything else, to bring the fans, they need a different venue. And they will, I am sure, address it at the right time. You’ve got to have a competitive game-day experience."

Said the guy whose team has had less fans attend games than Buffalo for 4 out of the past 5 years. And the one year that JAX had better attendance, the difference was negligible.

And they have one more home game than Buffalo every year.

*** Buffalo was actually in the top 10 in 2009 - with 7 home games.

I totally agree with Beerball. When you go to RW Stadium, you're there to do one thing: watch football. As it should be.

He owns the Jags ferchrissakes and he's bragging about his game day experience in Jacksonville? Doesn't the NFL understand that there are two ingredients and only two ingredients necessary for an outstanding game day experience. They are a team and real, committed football fans. If you're going to a game to see the huge video boards or watch whales swim in the sideline pool then you aren't a fan.

Does Buffalo need a new stadium? Meh. The Ralph for its age has never bothered me one iota & I feel it's a great place to watch a football game. If a new stadium is built I'm OK with that too because everybody wants something new and shiny, but it's not a must have for me.

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

Hmmm, what are the per game attendence figures in Jax vs the Ralph?

Build a good team, Pegula, and the fans will pack the place.

Let's be real: this isn't about filling the stadium with fans, it's about having more high-priced luxury suites for high-rollers to watch on big screens, as if they were in their living rooms.

Hmmm, what are the per game attendence figures in Jax vs the Ralph?

Build a good team, Pegula, and the fans will pack the place.

Let's be real: this isn't about filling the stadium with fans, it's about having more high-priced luxury suites for high-rollers to watch on big screens, as if they were in their living rooms.

It's Buffalo, not Dallas (worst game day experience I've ever had was at Jerrah World). The buyers for those suites is much more limited.

I'd be interested to find out (but, I'm not willing to do the work myself :D ) how many suites there are per stadium. How does GB compare?

And, now the truth about the pressure for a new stadium with bells and whistles becomes clear. It's all about the game day experience for visiting owners and has nothing to do with the fans.

As a season ticket holder from New Jersey, I look forward to game day at THE RALPH. It's all about the energy of the stadium ... the tailgating (Versus spending exhorbitant amounts of money on in stadium food) and watching the game on the field. I do not need more (I do admit that I love the renovations at THE RALPH but did the old RALPH get me stomping my feet about a new stadium? No.).

We all know that even in or worst losing seasons Bills fans do not vanish from GAME DAY. The Bills have never had to cover large sections of seats with tarps to pretend that a greater percentage of the stadium was filled with fans.

I also own property in WNY so I am impacted by property taxes. I do not want to see one dollar of my property taxes going to build some glitter palace for the owners as long as THE RALPH remains a safe place to watch a game. Someone will really have to explain why a new stadium will make football better because 70000 are still coming to THE RALPH and singing the SHOUT SONG.

ummm the Jags didn't play in Buffalo last year. The Bills played them in Jacksonville -- I was at the game...maybe he's confusing us with another team. By the way-- nothing really outstanding about the Jax game experience in my book and there were as many Bills fans in attendance as Jags fans.

Im kind of split. I love Ralph Wilson Stadium. Im proud it has become a bit of a relic. I love how outdoors give games unique characteristics (the game in the dome in Detroit just seems all the same/similar/stale and thats how I feel about Indy, Dallas, St Louis, Atlanta, etc. all the same venue).

I hope Pegula does it right and does proper evaluations of the fan wants and the corporate demand/capacity.

I do think in 5-10 years I may be ready for a more "tame" game day where I dont get there at 8AM and stay for 10 hours drinking heavily, eating grillfood, and braving the elements. Maybe by then a few beers at Pearl Street then walking to the indoor game will be fine?

Edited by May Day 10

Here's Khan's professional sport's team portfolio...

Jacksonville: The most irrelevant, sh#t franchise in the league.

Fulham: Formerly of the EPL, relegated last year to the Championship, in the relegation zone again to be demoted to League 1.

Don't take it personally Bills fans, consider the source.

http://sports.yahoo....DVUmekAqz9XNyoA

just sayin

The stadium left the Clevelander Deck open for two hours after the end of the Steelers game, and the organization is considering new ways to take advantage of the crowds. Johnson says there's been talk of opening the deck on Saturdays so fans could come watch college football on the televisions. And although the seats will return for this year's Florida-Georgia game, the deck might be available for those games in the future if the schools are open to it. "We’re literally going through the evaluations now," Johnson said. "We're looking at options." That doesn't mean EverBank will become Spring Break: Duval County. The Jags still want the product on the field to dominate, and without distractions. "If we see it’s starting to lean too edgy," Johnson said, "we will take steps to pull that back." So far, the cheers have drowned out the concerns.

"I was a little freaked out at first," Rohe said. "You know what people do in the water. But the energy here is like Vegas in Jacksonville, with the NFL."

All the stadium needs now is a winning team.

Edited by bowery4

Game day experience : puke, drunks,violence and ..... OH did I say drunks. I will watch at home .

I think this is so overstated by people who don't go to games.

I've had season tickets since 2001 and have seen someone throw up once, in the parking lot before the game.

Drunks - yes, there are drunks. Most are harmless. Once a season, one of them really gets on my nerves. But, a quick wave to the usher and problems are solved.

Violence? I don't recall seeing a fight at a Bills game in a few years. Some arguing and shoving and such, but no actual violence.

it's kinda amusing to watch the nfl attempt to get the "new stadium in buffalo" drumbeat going. i'm curious how goodell, frank luntz and the owners will frame their argument for fleecing taxpayers without having the threat of relocation to scare everyone.

This is about the league enforcing expectations about what a team is supposed to get from its community. If Buffalo gets away without a new stadium every 30 years, and comfy suites for the visitors, other teams and cities won't feel like they have to provide them either.

$1.4B provides a lot of grace period, and I don't get the feeling the Pegulas are doing this to make money. They have more than they know what to do with and want to help the community. God bless 'em. A lot of the other owners are out to make a buck.

I think this is so overstated by people who don't go to games.

I've had season tickets since 2001 and have seen someone throw up once, in the parking lot before the game.

Drunks - yes, there are drunks. Most are harmless. Once a season, one of them really gets on my nerves. But, a quick wave to the usher and problems are solved.

Violence? I don't recall seeing a fight at a Bills game in a few years. Some arguing and shoving and such, but no actual violence.

Going back to the Chuck Knox days in the early 80's, the atmosphere today has changed quite a bit. Back then, a Bill's game at Rich stadium was just as wild as any concert I went to there, sometimes worse, since more alcohol is consumed at a Bills game than a concert.

Nonetheless, the parking lot after an 80's Bills game was littered with; falling down drunks, throwing up, passed out, fighting, openly pissing on tires, wild make-outs/sex, and general mayhem. I read quite a few letters to the editor from guys taking their kids to the game and having a terrible experience due to the alcohol induced bad behavior. Can't say I blamed them.

Since, then the Bill's have "cleaned" things up and have tried to gear the experience for a more family friendly atmosphere. However, the norm still seems to be, arrive early, drink heavily, wolf down some food, go to the game and scream. I have often felt that a Bill's pregame parking lot experience is similar to a tribe preparing for battle with the fires burning, the sloshing down of mead, the eating of partially roasted meat, the load roars of the tribes and the donning of their tribal gear before marching off to war.

Gotta love it.

I live in the Jacksonville area, and I am a huge Bills fan. I have attended every game the Bills have played here. I will say, that in terms of amenities, comfort, ease of getting in and out, and parking, the Jags do a nice job. No doubt. However, the key to a Gameday experience is none of the above. A jacked up crowd and winning team do more than any pool, parking shuttle, or big screen can ever do.

ummm the Jags didn't play in Buffalo last year. The Bills played them in Jacksonville -- I was at the game...maybe he's confusing us with another team. By the way-- nothing really outstanding about the Jax game experience in my book and there were as many Bills fans in attendance as Jags fans.

LOL, Khan was in his own stadium and thought it sucked.

Maybe he should worry about putting a team on the field that can actually win more than 3ish out of 16 games.

Did you just come out of a coma?

I think it's a given there will be a new stadium in Pegulaville downtown, so enjoy the Ralph now.

Well, you can see the Jags score board lit up from almost 10 miles away at night...... And can watch games on it from the interstate like you're on the couch..... And the pools........

Really thought, I think he's just talking about amenities. The up graded Ever Bank field is nice, now if they could just do something about the ridiculous heat in the seats.

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

Stupidity at it's finest. He should be kicking himself in the n*** for the FO, staff, and team he has put together not worrying about another team's (a team with a winning record none the less) "gameday experience".

upgraded the game day experience this last off season.

Stupidity at it's finest. He should be kicking himself in the n*** for the FO, staff, and team he has put together not worrying about another team's (a team with a winning record none the less) "gameday experience".

I don't know, they look to be a year or two behind us talent wise, and they DO have their QB of the future.

upgraded the game day experience this last off season.

I don't know, they look to be a year or two behind us talent wise, and they DO have their QB of the future.

He has only played 2 games, and won 0, correct? He looks pretty good early on but.... have you learned nothing from being a Bills fan?! lol

Im kind of split. I love Ralph Wilson Stadium. Im proud it has become a bit of a relic. I love how outdoors give games unique characteristics (the game in the dome in Detroit just seems all the same/similar/stale and thats how I feel about Indy, Dallas, St Louis, Atlanta, etc. all the same venue).

I hope Pegula does it right and does proper evaluations of the fan wants and the corporate demand/capacity.

I do think in 5-10 years I may be ready for a more "tame" game day where I dont get there at 8AM and stay for 10 hours drinking heavily, eating grillfood, and braving the elements. Maybe by then a few beers at Pearl Street then walking to the indoor game will be fine?

Come on man getting there at 8am cracking a beer as soon as you get up is what makes the gameday at the Ralph so special. If they do build a new stadium, there is no doubt in mind that it will be downtown by the waterfront. Tailgating as we know it will never be the same.