Ralph' Foundation, Buffalo News reporting

HOF4LOU

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None of this is true!! Ralph did not care for WNY, didn't care what happened to the Bills after he died and does not care about the fans. He was a cheap, senile, old coot that was going to sell the team to the highest bidder with no regard to the loyal fan base that supported his team for generations.

None of this is true!! Ralph did not care for WNY, didn't care what happened to the Bills after he died and does not care about the fans. He was a cheap, senile, old coot that was going to sell the team to the highest bidder with no regard to the loyal fan base that supported his team for generations.

Amazing how so many could have been so wrong about everything, including reporters.

I think the coolest part about all of this is that Ralph may very well have had to keep his intentions of the Bills being permanent Buffalo residents quiet. If he was loud about it, it could have given the money grabbing owners a chance to "modify" rules in order to help duplicitous ownership groups like Jon Bon Jersey's.

For everything he has given with these millions, and by seemingly setting up the team to be purchased by a known Buffalo advocate such as Terry Pegula, the fact that he did all of this while keeping quiet is the most humble and astounding aspect to it all.

He KNEW people were worried about the team staying in Buffalo. He KNEW people doubted his intentions. Did he say something reassuring so we could all heap praise on him while he was still alive? No. He thought keeping the team at home and the emotional lift it provided and the money his foundation can contribute were more important than getting praise for himself while he was still here. How many people would eschew that praise? One in a ten thousand? I'm not even sure that many would. The man had great honor and it never disappeared. That is a pretty fine example.

I always liked Ralph and was never too critical but I owe an apology to Jeffrey Littman who was likely Ralph's right hand man in all of this.

All of the behind the scenes stuff that must have had to happen for all of this would probably make for a GREAT movie if done right.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Color me "Not Surprised"

I understand - to some extent - those who questioned Ralph's leadership. While I never bought into the Ralph-is-cheap POV, it is true that the Bills have won less than half their games with Ralph as owner. Something wasn't quite right.

But I never understood those who questioned Ralph's - or Mary's - motivations. Bill Polian, John Butler, Buddy Nix, Jim Kelly and many others have attested to Ralph's opportunities to move the club and his dedication to Buffalo. The lease he signed, the instructions he left, et al., made it difficult - if not impossible - for an out-of-towner to buy and move the Bills. Ralph's restrictions drove the price of the club down to the detriment of his family, but to the benefit of Buffalo.

And now the Wilsons are donating hundreds of millions to charity.

I'm sure Ralph and Mary lived, and Mary continues to live, a comfortable lifestyle. But they were always about far more than just money.

I hope some of the malicious posters who bad-mouthed Ralph and Mary on this board in the past reflect a little about their generosity.

And let us all try to cultivate more generous spirits.

Why is Schumer quoted in this article? What's he got to do with anything? It's like he has someone on his payroll at BN to get his name attached to any positive story/

Schumer played a big role in the background of the sale, essentially letting the NFL know that not supporting the Bills in Buffalo would bring unwelcome government attention to the league. Don't kid yourself. The Bills sale was as much a political thing as a financial one.

My thought has been that Ralph valued loyalty above most any other human trait. It is an explanation that fits the evidence. It expalins his generosity, management style and decision making -- often times what were some of his worst football decisions.

You are so right about how much he valued loyalty. He was genuinely hurt when he felt that loyalty wasn't returned. And he was always the first person to admit that often times it got in the way of making better decisions; he was very self-deprecating when it came to his prowess as an owner.

As to his charitable generosity, what we learned today isn't a surprise in the least, even if it's just the tip of the iceberg. People will never know how much he's given over the years and that's just how he wanted it. He was very old-school in that regard. God bless, Mr. Wilson.

GO BILLS!!!

My thought has been that Ralph valued loyalty above most any other human trait. It is an explanation that fits the evidence. It expalins his generosity, management style and decision making -- often times what were some of his worst football decisions.

This is an excellent and well made point.

Ralph Wilson Stadium has to remain....... exactly that... RALPH WILSON STADIUM. Complicates naming rights a bit, but they can work around that if they feel the need. That was one point I took issue with, but now I'm over it. Completely.

Edited by Augie

Bravo to you, Ralph Wilson! I salute you. RWR

You are so right about how much he valued loyalty. He was genuinely hurt when he felt that loyalty wasn't returned. And he was always the first person to admit that often times it got in the way of making better decisions; he was very self-deprecating when it came to his prowess as an owner.

As to his charitable generosity, what we learned today isn't a surprise in the least, even if it's just the tip of the iceberg. People will never know how much he's given over the years and that's just how he wanted it. He was very old-school in that regard. God bless, Mr. Wilson.

GO BILLS!!!

Well done, K9.