Matthew Fairburn - Syracuse Post Standard writer

Casey D

This guy writing for the Syracuse Post-Standard is a bit of fresh air in the coverage of the Bills. He actually talks to people and gets sourced quotes. Not all this "unnamed but special people around the league--trust me I know these kind of people-- are laughing at the Bills stupidity" crap that is the general style of the BN. He appears to actually get off his ass and talk to people -- like John Wawrow-- and not just take a couple of quotes from press conference and make up a story around some plucked out quotes. I mean it's not Pulitzer stuff, but it's informative, which is a lot better than I usually read with respect to the Bills... CD

Edited by Casey D

Is this the guy who was chosen to start covering the bills recently?

Back in the beginning of summer some guy from that paper came around and asked people to submit resumes and samples of writing and such...just wondering if he was the guy that was chosen.....

Is this the guy who was chosen to start covering the bills recently?

Back in the beginning of summer some guy from that paper came around and asked people to submit resumes and samples of writing and such...just wondering if he was the guy that was chosen.....

Yes. I saw the ad for that position too. It's not even a full time job. Just the chance to cover an NFL team. The Syracuse Post-Standard expected you to move to Buffalo and write on a one year trial basis.

That said it's an amazing opportunity for a young journalist looking to get a break and Fairburn is doing a terrific job.

It's funny someone stated this thread because I was telling my wife about MF and what a good job he was doing too.

I think the reason is access. The BN has literally burned every bridge with the Bills and Sabres with their endlessly negative slants. That's why they brought Vic Carucci back. They needed someone who still had some cred with the local teams. The BN was getting burned by outside media. If anyone is laughing at anyone, it's the Buffalo News.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Yes. I saw the ad for that position too. It's not even a full time job. Just the chance to cover an NFL team. The Syracuse Post-Standard expected you to move to Buffalo and write on a one year trial basis.

That said it's an amazing opportunity for a young journalist looking to get a break and Fairburn is doing a terrific job.

It's funny someone stated this thread because I was telling my wife about MF and what a good job he was doing too.

I think the reason is access. The BN has literally burned every bridge with the Bills and Sabres with their endlessly negative slants. That's why they brought Vic Carucci back. They needed someone who still had some cred with the local teams. The BN was getting burned by outside media. If anyone is laughing at anyone, it's the Buffalo News.

Good call - thanks for clarifying

And I agree about the BN bit - I'll have to go read some of MF's coverage and see what he's all about

I thought I read that he came to WNY from somewhere in the midwest like Kansas or Missouri.

But yeah, he seems a lot more level headed and does a great job. I hope he stick around for a while.

The Buffalo News devolved from legendary writers like Larry Felser and Jim Kelley to Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason. Anyone old enough to remember those old guys must just shake their head and wonder at how far the BN sports department has fallen.

I've enjoyed his coverage. He's a good writer and brings a fresh, younger perspective. It's a nice contrast to the bitter, jaded old cranks we all know (but who shall remain nameless) from the Buffalo and Rochester rags.

The Buffalo News devolved from legendary writers like Larry Felser and Jim Kelley to Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason. Anyone old enough to remember those old guys must just shake their head and wonder at how far the BN sports department has fallen.

Yeah when I was a kid, the Buffalo News was amazing. Vic Carucci and Allen Wilson were also really good. Now we got reporters who try to start conflicts and make themselves part of the story. I still love the newspaper but rarely read the Buffalo News anymore.

Damn-kids-GET-OFF-MY-LAWN.jpg

I brought this thread to his attention. His reply was "Wow. Thanks for pointing that out. Glad people are enjoying the coverage as much as I'm enjoying the beat."

That's good. Information is good, and I like the job he is doing.

Damn-kids-GET-OFF-MY-LAWN.jpg

In a nutshell, you just summarized most of Sully's columns.

Every day. I am just glad that they brought Vic back.

This guy writing for the Syracuse Post-Standard is a bit of fresh air in the coverage of the Bills. He actually talks to people and gets sourced quotes. Not all this "unnamed but special people around the league--trust me I know these kind of people-- are laughing at the Bills stupidity" crap that is the general style of the BN. He appears to actually get off his ass and talk to people -- like John Wawrow-- and not just take a couple of quotes from press conference and make up a story around some plucked out quotes. I mean it's not Pulitzer stuff, but it's informative, which is a lot better than I usually read with respect to the Bills... CD

I noticed him as well. I now follow him on twitter as well. Very enterprising of him to do what he is doing.

• 2 months later...

I've noticed aside from stories written from information gained from NFL insiders, Matthew Fairburn seems privy to pro-Marrone information or steers his columns in that direction. For example, his recent articles on Spikes happiness in Buffalo and Marrone's courtesy call to Hughes. Fairburn was pretty quick to post on article about the players reluctance to change and support for Marrone. His article on Marrone changing culture and Russ Brandon addressing in speculation.

I get theses are all hot topics and all seem very pro-Marrone. Coincidence it's the Syracuse writer taking this position? This guy owe something to Marrone? Marrone (and/or) select FO folks have this guy on speed dial? Heck, this guy even got a interview with Hackett about his opinion on EJ's progress. Hackett has a Marrone shield in front of him.

Check it out for yourself and watch out for this guy's kool-aid.

http://connect.syracuse.com/staff/mfairburn/posts.html

The guy only just came from the U of Missouri journalism school. He didn't know Marrone from Adam before he took the job at Syracuse.com. Maybe you just aren't used to seeing Bills coverage not written with a jaundiced eye?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have enjoyed his coverage as well. It is fair and balanced, which is probably why people connected with the team will actually talk with him. It has become my primary source for daily Bills news as I rarely read the TBN articles anymore.

I've noticed aside from stories written from information gained from NFL insiders, Matthew Fairburn seems privy to pro-Marrone information or steers his columns in that direction. For example, his recent articles on Spikes happiness in Buffalo and Marrone's courtesy call to Hughes. Fairburn was pretty quick to post on article about the players reluctance to change and support for Marrone. His article on Marrone changing culture and Russ Brandon addressing in speculation.

I get theses are all hot topics and all seem very pro-Marrone. Coincidence it's the Syracuse writer taking this position? This guy owe something to Marrone? Marrone (and/or) select FO folks have this guy on speed dial? Heck, this guy even got a interview with Hackett about his opinion on EJ's progress. Hackett has a Marrone shield in front of him.

which article has the mention of the call to Hughes? I couldn't find it.

The guy only just came from the U of Missouri journalism school. He didn't know Marrone from Adam before he took the job at Syracuse.com. Maybe you just aren't used to seeing Bills coverage not written with a jaundiced eye?

Of course I am not. Are you, and where do you get it? :D

Most of the reporters that cover the bills daily are very smug, yet for what ? When is the last time they broke a story or had a interesting slant or a creative idea ?

He's not very popular here but Tim Graham's work is pretty good.

And to answer your question, the Talley story he broke should earn him Pulitzer consideration.

I liked the way he immediately labeled the outcome yesterday as nothing more than an empty win. Shows he gets it at the end of the day. A Marrone-head would turn the pats game into a puff piece about first winning record in a decade. He may throw in extra Marrone copy because of his audience but at the same time he isn't afraid to slam Marrone for his failures.

Yes, I have let him know what a good job he is doing. The Syracuse paper sucks, in general, in NFL coverage and in Bills coverage specifically, mainly because Polian is not a fan of the NFL. So, great this year to have actual, specific coverage of our local NFL team.

Fairburn is good also because he tries different formats and structures in his columns, so is not afraid to think outside of the box. Hopefully they make him a full time employee now!

Yeah, I've been reading his stuff since preseason. His articles are interesting, the analysis is pretty good and I like his writing. Miles, lightyear ahead of Bucky Gleason.

I understand the job he took was a new one, on an audition basis for the Cuse paper. I hope they decide to keep him on. Analysis aside, he's just a far better writer than some of the yokels here in ROC.

I didn't know he came from UMissouri. That's a high power J-school for sure.

Edited by jimmy10