Name all the backup QBs you would rather have than Kyle Orton

Kelly the Dog

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should be the GM, because in your world everything nicely and easily falls into place. Every deal you want to make, the guy on the other end of the phone gives you exactly what you asked for immediately. Every free agent you call tells you they've been waiting to hear from you. It must be great to have the whole world bend to your will. I wish we had a GM that had such abilities. Clearly you do.

Thanks, because the morons running this team for 15 years have clearly not got anyone they wanted immediately or otherwise. Without overpaying. Even Mario's deal still stands years later as the highest paid defensive player. An anomaly known only to OBD.

There is a certain amount of skill to get the job done.Look at the perennial playoff teams in a league designed for parity. You think they are there every because of dumb luck? name any other GM catfished other than Nix. if you think for a second that some free agents or signed players won't restructure to meet the GM demands to have a chance at a ring. Then you are only watching Bills football.

Orton will be the starter soon, that is the only reason he signed with us. Our starting QB will be the guy Tim Tebow beat out at QB. Great

Tebow didn't beat out Orton. Elway made the switch because he knew Orton wasn't the future and gave Tebow his chance. Tebows run was a fluke. The season before he got benched Orton threw for 3800 yards and 20 tds.

Another reason I like orton as a backup for this team is, as I mentioned in another thread, he is fresh off of preparing for 8 of the teams we face this season as he faced the AFC west and NFC north just last year. He didn't play in the games but he was in the film room and practice and prepared just the same. The only one of those 8 that will have a different defensive scheme to prepare for is Minn.

I think he can contribute some experience and knowledge to that effect.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Tebow didn't beat out Orton. Elway made the switch because he knew Orton wasn't the future and gave Tebow his chance. Tebows run was a fluke. The season before he got benched Orton threw for 3800 yards and 20 tds.

Agreed. That season was a perfect storm for Tebow. Orton is far from elite, but he has always been serviceable IMO.

Signing Orton is not a head scratching move. It's a terrific move. Should he have got a veteran back up earlier? Sure. I was calling for it, too. But he wouldn't have got Orton and he wouldn't have been as good as Orton. The 5m means nothing to the bills. They are not in danger of the cap, 7m overall is not anything for the QB position. Would we want him in camp a little earlier? Sure. But he is not going to play in the first couple games, and even if he does, he will know the play book and be ready. These guys game plan and throw 20-30 plays in a week.

Given the choice of all the available backups from the winter until now, if we could have got someone earlier, I still probably would have wanted it to play out like this, and get the better guy with less time. The only two who were decent were Vick and McCown, and both wanted chances to start and wouldn't have chosen the Bills over the Bucs or jets.

Rex Grossman for a couple extra months or Orton? I'll take Orton.

And I don't even think Orton is very good. Wouldn't want him as my starter. But a veteran backup, as the thread is about, it's a great move by Whaley not a head scratcher. Ultimately, before the season started, he made the right play. If he would have gone into the season with Jeff Tuel as the backup, he could have been committed to an insane asylum.

I guess the head scratching move comment is referring to me when I said it. Look, Whaley knew LAST season the backup position was unsettled. And I am being kind there the backups were not good. Was Orton playing possum and waiting for for best deal? Absolutely. But to buy into the rumor that they had been pursuing him since when July 16 when the cowgirls released him, and to think they even knew he would be released is giving Whaley way too much credit. i and others firmly believe these guys are playing for their jobs now. Was signing Orton smart. Well yes there is no better QB backup out there. is it a head scratching move? yes. Why wait and gamble to the very last second to have a decent backup? When they knew in January they had problems. What would have happened if Orton went to the rams? this conversation would not be happening. So yea they got a QB and overpaid. better than nothing but far from a well thought out planned move. maybe this is all brandon meddling who knows. it seems like business as usual on OBD though IMO.

Now maybe they can sign a serviceable offensive guard before Sunday.

I guess the head scratching move comment is referring to me when I said it. Look, Whaley knew LAST season the backup position was unsettled. And I am being kind there the backups were not good. Was Orton playing possum and waiting for for best deal? Absolutely. But to buy into the rumor that they had been pursuing him since when July 16 when the cowgirls released him, and to think they even knew he would be released is giving Whaley way too much credit. i and others firmly believe these guys are playing for their jobs now. Was signing Orton smart. Well yes there is no better QB backup out there. is it a head scratching move? yes. Why wait and gamble to the very last second to have a decent backup? When they knew in January they had problems. What would have happened if Orton went to the rams? this conversation would not be happening. So yea they got a QB and overpaid. better than nothing but far from a well thought out planned move. maybe this is all brandon meddling who knows. it seems like business as usual on OBD though IMO.

It was head scratching to me, too, that Whaley did not address the backup QB situation, and I said it here a few dozen times. Everyone has different likes and wants and hatreds at that position. I for one, don't think Tuel belongs in the league. Others do.

It's understandable to have believed that Thad was a serviceable backup after his season last year. I did. I didnt think he was great or he was the answer. But he was not a disaster as a 2 or 3. There was no reason whatsoever to believe that he would regress, but he did. It happens to players. Maybe he thought he had it made.

The pickings were also ridiculously slim for vet backups as FA. IMO, there were only two with any worth, Vick and McCown, and neither had any realistic chance of signing here.

Marrone flat out said today that Orton was always on their radar and part of their contingency plan. I will badmouth them forever for waiting so long to pull the trigger on Tuel, and they had to with Thad. But the fact is, the season hasn't started yet, and they have a very good backup QB. If they did it earlier, they would have had in all likelihood, a lesser player.

It could be luck. IMO, they just misjudged two guys, which happens all the time, and waited too long to fix the leaks, but before the real bullets are flying, they did the right thing. And they may have known more than we know. They also could very well have been trying to trade for guys. I would bet on it. We didn't hear a word about Orton until it happened.

Orton is near or at the top of the list, IMO. I remember thinking, when he temporarily "retired" from the Cowgirls, that I would love Buffalo to bring him in for QB insurance.

The FO has been taking a lot of heat around here lately, but I believe this is one of many great moves by Whaley and company.

Those wishing for Whaley to be fired when new ownership comes in. Be careful. You might get what you wish for. Whaley, IMO, is a rising star in this league.

Sorry for the soapbox tangent...

I totally agree on Whaley......the majority of his moves AND his drafts have been solid......

We really should not want this guy gone....young....aggressive.......and most of the time.....right......

Orton is, by far, my favorite pick from the QBs realistically available.

In 2009 and 2010, when Orton started for Denver and had some talent around him, he completed about 60% of his passes for a QB rating of about 87. His more recent stats with Dallas are even better, though in very limited action.

Having started 70 games for 4 different teams, he's a perfect mentor for EJ.

Regards to comparisons to Fitz: I really have trouble understanding how anyone who witnessed both them play could rate them as equals. I really like Fitz but his arm is neither as strong nor as accurate as Orton's.

As for Orton's pay, I have to guess that we paid what we had to pay. I'm glad Whaley and company anted up instead of going the season with Tuel as the backup.

If EJ fails, Orton will take over and do reasonably well. Then next year we'll draft another QB with an early pick.

If EJ succeeds, he'll be aided by Orton's experience.

This was a very good signing.

It was head scratching to me, too, that Whaley did not address the backup QB situation, and I said it here a few dozen times. Everyone has different likes and wants and hatreds at that position. I for one, don't think Tuel belongs in the league. Others do.

It's understandable to have believed that Thad was a serviceable backup after his season last year. I did. I didnt think he was great or he was the answer. But he was not a disaster as a 2 or 3. There was no reason whatsoever to believe that he would regress, but he did. It happens to players. Maybe he thought he had it made.

The pickings were also ridiculously slim for vet backups as FA. IMO, there were only two with any worth, Vick and McCown, and neither had any realistic chance of signing here.

Marrone flat out said today that Orton was always on their radar and part of their contingency plan. I will badmouth them forever for waiting so long to pull the trigger on Tuel, and they had to with Thad. But the fact is, the season hasn't started yet, and they have a very good backup QB. If they did it earlier, they would have had in all likelihood, a lesser player.

It could be luck. IMO, they just misjudged two guys, which happens all the time, and waited too long to fix the leaks, but before the real bullets are flying, they did the right thing. And they may have known more than we know. They also could very well have been trying to trade for guys. I would bet on it. We didn't hear a word about Orton until it happened.

Good post. Scary method of getting where the team is today, but the best available guy is here.

The question is JUST FOR THIS SEASON. Just as a player. This does not count potential, like Blake Bortles, or salary, or who the starter is, or how much he knows the play book, or any of that. Just what players in the league who are official #2's and not starting the season would you prefer to have if EJ got hurt.

I'm trying to think of all of them.

Mike Vick maybe.

I think Matt Shaub stinks.

Matt Moore is a pretty good back up but I think Orton is probably better.

Definitely not Cousins. Not for me anyway.

Glennon or Osweiler or Mallet? Hell, no.

The rookies, Johnny Football, Bridgewater, Garrapollo and Bortles? Not yet. Much prefer Orton. Bortles looks good. Would love to see JF play on this team but if I had to win a game this season, no.

The Vets? Sanchez, Stanton, Hasselback, Tarvaris? No, no, no, no.

I could be forgetting a couple decent ones. Washed up vets or mediocre talent it seems like.

The rest suck worse than those guys. I'm surprised just looking around the league how slim the pickings are.

I'm not saying this like it is a fact. I'm just curious how others would rate these guys. Some fans like Cousins. I understand that. I think he's very, very average. Some people like Shaub. I think he's shot.

Orton could really be the best of the bunch. For me, for a couple games we had to win to keep in the hunt, maybe I would take Vick. But Orton would be in the top 2-3.

Much better late than never.

thank you for not an ej thread

If I get to pick from any QB in the NFL for just this season, I pick EJ Manuel as back up and Tom Brady as starter, this would leap frog us up and over the Patriots.

I think Peyton and Brady as the backup would do the trick.

They could've just kept Fitz, avoided the dead money hit and signed Byrd with the difference. Instead we've come full circle from Fitz with Marrone declaring "this is what we've been looking for" after his bosses paid hurricane prices on the eve of the season. These guys are really chasing right now, but ironically it's their own tails.

pretty much

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

thank you for not an ej thread

So if EJ goes down in the Bears game, you are publicly going to go on record as saying you would prefer Brock Osweiler, Ryan Mallet or Jimmy Garrapollo, right now, to run onto the field in a Bills uniform instead of Kyle Orton?

Not that we need to know anything more about your ability to judge quarterbacking but we may have to notify the authorities.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

There are plenty of guys with greater ceilings, but Orton has to be top 3 in terms of this season alone.

Strangely enough, I would've picked Shaun Hill as the top backup, but now he's forced into the starter role. Dude has a 41/23 touchdown to interception rate for his career and an 86 QB rating. Orton's is 79.9. However, Orton has more experience as a starter.

Always liked Hill, definitely has the moxie for QB

I'm not entirely convinced Whaley didn't attempt to sign another vet before they ended up signing Orton. After all, it seems as though they had been pursuing Orton for some time.

I agree they believed ( and I believed) Thad was a serviceable backup based on his play last year. Dunno what happened to the guy this year.Though to be fair, we really can't say how he would have performed with the 1st string. But Marrone apparently didn't see what he needed to see in TC/preseason so I have to trust that.

We disagree on Cousins. I think he may end up being a pretty good QB (backup likely) but he obviously doesn't have the gameday experience of Orton. Orton is the safe bet here.

They could've just kept Fitz, avoided the dead money hit and signed Byrd with the difference.

How do you figure that?

Fitz was on a $10M/year contract. His dead money hit was $10M. After the 2013 season it became a wash(save $10M for salary, spend $10M for dead money). Entering the 2014 season we become $5M better off(save $10M for salary, spend $5M for Orton).

Assuming we retain Orton in the future for $5M/year into 2015 & 2016.......that means a further saving of $5M/year. Now that the NFL usess cap rollover rules, it literally means that we will have $15M more cap room in 2016(includes having Orton) than had we kept Fitz.

The reality is the opposite of what you proposed.

If he really believed that he would have drafted somebody or brought somebody in. I think they thought that Tuel and Thad played well enough for backups and would continue to progress this year, unfortunately that didn't happen.

If he really believed that he would have drafted somebody or brought somebody in. I think they thought that Tuel and Thad played well enough for backups and would continue to progress this year, unfortunately that didn't happen.

The draft probably wouldn't have helped with a proven backup QB. The problem with drafting a QB every year (as suggested by some) is there are only some may reps to go around. And there is only so much (required) attention you can give to a developing QB. When Washington drafted both RG3 and Cousins, I wondered how they expected to develop two young QBs at once., That's very hard to do.

But don't assume Whaley wasn't looking for an experienced backup until last week. He may have attempted to sign someone else sooner (we are now fairly sure he's been trying to sigh Orton for awhile), I think some here think he should have just signed anyone, just to sign them. That's a crazy idea, IMO, If it isn't a guy you like, why bring him in?

So if EJ goes down in the Bears game, you are publicly going to go on record as saying you would prefer Brock Osweiler, Ryan Mallet or Jimmy Garrapollo, right now, to run onto the field in a Bills uniform instead of Kyle Orton?

Not that we need to know anything more about your ability to judge quarterbacking but we may have to notify the authorities.

They aren't as good as Orton now but I'd rather have a guy on the team that can developed than a guy who is only good for a backup.

I like Luck, Kaepernick, Tannehill, Bortles and Manziel so I like my odds.

Skelton was an aberration and Gabbert was drinking the kool aid, I wanted Kaepernick before him. I disowned everybody in EJs class before that college season was over.

The question is JUST FOR THIS SEASON. Just as a player. This does not count potential, like Blake Bortles, or salary, or who the starter is, or how much he knows the play book, or any of that. Just what players in the league who are official #2's and not starting the season would you prefer to have if EJ got hurt.

Mike Vick maybe.

The rookies, Johnny Football, Bridgewater, Garrapollo and Bortles? Not yet. Much prefer Orton. Bortles looks good. Would love to see JF play on this team but if I had to win a game this season, no.

I could be forgetting a couple decent ones. Washed up vets or mediocre talent it seems like.

The rest suck worse than those guys. I'm surprised just looking around the league how slim the pickings are.

I'm not saying this like it is a fact. I'm just curious how others would rate these guys. Some fans like Cousins. I understand that. I think he's very, very average. Some people like Shaub. I think he's shot.

Orton could really be the best of the bunch. For me, for a couple games we had to win to keep in the hunt, maybe I would take Vick. But Orton would be in the top 2-3.

Vick, Sanchez, Campbell, Hill (hes a backup, but starting due to injury), Moore, Cousins and Mallet. Would also consider guys with tons of upside like Bortles, Glennon, Bridgewater, Garopolo, and even Manziel.

All of those are more attractive than Orton. Some barely, but still I would prefer them over Orton. That being said, I MUCH prefer Orton over Thad and Tuel.

Perhaps the argument last week at practice was Marrone complaining that when Whaley told him he would get a veteran backup, Marrone was expecting more than Palmer. But bringing a qualified veteran in earlier who may have outplayed EJ in the preseason would have looked bad if they insisted that EJ still start the season. They've never wanted a real competition.

The draft probably wouldn't have helped with a proven backup QB. The problem with drafting a QB every year (as suggested by some) is there are only some may reps to go around. And there is only so much (required) attention you can give to a developing QB. When Washington drafted both RG3 and Cousins, I wondered how they expected to develop two young QBs at once., That's very hard to do.

But don't assume Whaley wasn't looking for an experienced backup until last week. He may have attempted to sign someone else sooner (we are now fairly sure he's been trying to sigh Orton for awhile), I think some here think he should have just signed anyone, just to sign them. That's a crazy idea, IMO, If it isn't a guy you like, why bring him in?

Obviously a rookie won't be a proven backup and if he really wanted someone he would done something about it. I thought Shaun Hill was a good option last spring.

They aren't as good as Orton now but I'd rather have a guy on the team that can developed than a guy who is only good for a backup.

I like Luck, Kaepernick, Tannehill, Bortles and Manziel so I like my odds.

Skelton was an aberration and Gabbert was drinking the kool aid, I wanted Kaepernick before him. I disowned everybody in EJs class before that college season was over.

Fair enough but that didnt answer my question.

I understand what you're saying though.

Perhaps the argument last week at practice was Marrone complaining that when Whaley told him he would get a veteran backup, Marrone was expecting more than Palmer. But bringing a qualified veteran in earlier who may have outplayed EJ in the preseason would have looked bad if they insisted that EJ still start the season. They've never wanted a real competition.

What "available" QB was likely to challenge for EJ as a starter? Even if you can think of some, what would it cost (I suspect a trade would have been necessary)? I don't think they were protecting EJ as much as giving their 1st round pick a legitimate chance and without weakening the team in the long term.

Was Orton playing possum and waiting for for best deal? Absolutely. But to buy into the rumor that they had been pursuing him since when July 16 when the cowgirls released him, and to think they even knew he would be released is giving Whaley way too much credit. i and others firmly believe these guys are playing for their jobs now. Was signing Orton smart. Well yes there is no better QB backup out there. is it a head scratching move? yes. Why wait and gamble to the very last second to have a decent backup?

Orton did not want to do training camp and wanted to spend time with his family.

What "available" QB was likely to challenge for EJ as a starter? Even if you can think of some, what would it cost (I suspect a trade would have been necessary)? I don't think they were protecting EJ as much as giving their 1st round pick a legitimate chance and without weakening the team in the long term.

When I speak of a QB to challenge EJ, I'm talking about when free agency opened, and the obvious choice for me was Vick. They could have also brought in Sanchez. They didn't even give Tavares Jackson a chance when he was here. But in the short term, they should have got Orton signed earlier so he could have played a couple of preseason games.

Mike Vick maybe.

I agree.

I think Orton is the best backup QB available

CBF

Orton did not want to do training camp and wanted to spend time with his family.

Well that and wait for the market to develop. It's doubtful he told his wife in late July

The bIlls got a one year 5 mil offer on the table, but I want to hang with the kid and you, until

8 days before the regular season. Most GM's would not like that attitude.

I for some reason do not think Buffalo was his first choice for a variety

Of reasons.

Well that and wait for the market to develop. It's doubtful he told his wife in late July

The bIlls got a one year 5 mil offer on the table, but I want to hang with the kid and you, until

8 days before the regular season. Most GM's would not like that attitude.

I for some reason do not think Buffalo was his first choice for a variety

Of reasons.

Which is it? For some reason or for a variety of reasons?

Just messing with you. I don't really buy into the "players don't want to come to Buffalo" stuff you occasionally hear. I think it was a combination of taking a "year off" from training camp and also seeing which teams express interest.

Mike Vick maybe.

Seriously, why on earth would you mention Michael Vick? What has that man ever done with regard to throwing a forward pass to make anyone think he'd be a better option at running an offense than literally anyone else in the league at any point in time? He's an extremely athletic runner that was never any good at the QB position. vick rant over....

I'd love to have drafted Matt Barkley as one of the young QBs, and Matt Shaub as a veteran option. Other than that Orton is no better or worse than anyone else.

How do you figure that?

Fitz was on a $10M/year contract. His dead money hit was $10M. After the 2013 season it became a wash(save $10M for salary, spend $10M for dead money). Entering the 2014 season we become $5M better off(save $10M for salary, spend $5M for Orton).

Assuming we retain Orton in the future for $5M/year into 2015 & 2016.......that means a further saving of $5M/year. Now that the NFL usess cap rollover rules, it literally means that we will have $15M more cap room in 2016(includes having Orton) than had we kept Fitz.

The reality is the opposite of what you proposed.

no matter how many times the facts and circumstances of this are laid out on this board, people still don't get it for some reason. I've given up explaining it. Plus the part where Fitz didn't want to be the backup here or restructure. But that gets ignored too. People believe what fits their narrative. Edited by YoloinOhio

When I speak of a QB to challenge EJ, I'm talking about when free agency opened, and the obvious choice for me was Vick. They could have also brought in Sanchez. They didn't even give Tavares Jackson a chance when he was here. But in the short term, they should have got Orton signed earlier so he could have played a couple of preseason games.

So you think Vick would have chosen Buffalo over NYC? No thanks to Sanchez

Fair enough point. But even 1st round QBs have a fairly low success rate in the NFL. Given the importance of the position, I was among those advocating for the Bills to draft another QB this year.

If Manuel crashes and burns this year, Orton will suffice as a caretaker. But we'll have to wait until next year to roll the dice in the draft again.

Good question: answer is no-one. I flamed the FO repeatedly for not getting a veteran backup. They went out and got the best one available. I think they deserve a lot of credit for their relentlessness pursuit of Orton. Perhaps I'm nuts, but I think the plan is to put him in if EJ stumbles, let EJ learn from a Vet, and this team wins at least 10 games this year now. (either by EJ showing up, or learning behind Orton). I love it.

no matter how many times the facts and circumstances of this are laid out on this board, people still don't get it for some reason. I've given up explaining it. Plus the part where Fitz didn't want to be the backup here or restructure. But that gets ignored too. People believe what fits their narrative.

I'm always happy to explain things like the cap. I figure that individuals are not always here(on the forum) &/or miss the explanations. The only times I get annoyed with it is when I know a person has seen the explanations yet still insist on perpetuating certain myths.