Name all the backup QBs you would rather have than Kyle Orton

Kelly the Dog

Every bit of that has been dissected ad nauseum in 100 threads.

Please name all the backups you would rather have rather than Orton for JUST THIS SEASON to win games if called upon. If you would prefer a rookie in there please say who and why. This is not about potential down the road.

Marrone and Whaley were really not responsible for Fitz.

That can't be right. Marrone was hired two months before Fitz was released. Of course he was consulted.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am happy Orton is here.Lets not get overly excited. he is 31 a failed starter on his what 4th team? he just fleeced the Bills for 5 million to hold a clipboard. Five Million the highest paid back up in the league. What does that tell us. For one you get paid a premium to come to Buffalo. That is the reason he's here. Not the "opprotunity" like he said to help EJ and Jeff Tuel. Give me a break Kyle. Does he make the team just by being here a franchise poised to make a playoff run? Doubtful. he ended up Being Tebows back up. But he is by far the best #2 on the team in awhile. What does that say though? Can he beat the fish twice this year if called to start?

is he a OK although very expensive insurance policy? absolutely. They overpaid very late in the pre season for OBD incompetence. Funny for a few mil more they would have had a 4 time pro bowl safety instead. And drafted their #2 in the second round. Sometimes Whaley makes good moves other times he makes head scratching moves. This one is the latter.

As for backups Again I would have grabbed one of the rookies in the draft. So there was real competition regarding the franchises future at the position. let the best man win.

Ok so your answer to the OP's question is another rookie? Got it.

Every bit of that has been dissected ad nauseum in 100 threads.

Please name all the backups you would rather have rather than Orton for JUST THIS SEASON to win games if called upon. If you would prefer a rookie in there please say who and why. This is not about potential down the road.

Marrone and Whaley were really not responsible for Fitz.

I'll give you the answer but not being a GM and myself liking to plan further then a single season at the most valuable position in the game. i would take Cousins, unless you're asking strictly for which player that was available. Then I would take Campbell if just for the savings to sign a dam good safety. I'd like to just get on the soapbox for a second to remind some that " we like to develop our own talent" rings pretty darn hollow right now. But Orton is okay and makes the game this Sunday a little less scary should EJ go down

That can't be right. Marrone was hired two months before Fitz was released. Of course he was consulted.

Of course. But he wasn't responsible for Fitz leaving. Granted, he wasn't going to award Fitz the starting job, like no new coach they hired was going to award Fitz the starting job. I agree with you, we could have and should have kept him and said we are drafting a rookie QB that you will have to beat out. But he would probably have to take a pay cut. Nix's handling of it is what made them lose Fitz. But he may not have wanted to stay here as a backup anyway. He may have still turned the payout down and been released.

Marrone and Whaley I'm sure put their two cents in. But no one at that time wanted Fitz to be the starter or pay him starter money to be the backup to a rookie #1 which was already the foregone conclusion.

I'll give you the answer but not being a GM and myself liking to plan further then a single season at the most valuable position in the game. i would take Cousins, unless you're asking strictly for which player that was available. Then I would take Campbell if just for the savings to sign a dam good safety. I'd like to just get on the soapbox for a second to remind some that " we like to develop our own talent" rings pretty darn hollow right now. But Orton is okay and makes the game this Sunday a little less scary should EJ go down

Thanks for the answer. But I did specifically say without regard to salary or availability. Just who would you want there for one season. Campbell is a very legitimate backup. But again, I wanted posters to disregard salary. Just who would you want to see running into the field if we needed him.

The last time I saw Orton play he looked pretty good, but that was about 2 1/2 years ago. He's getting up there in age, I hope his skills haven't

diminished too much.

Yeah, we really do not know what kind of shape he is in, or whether he is losing some of his skills. 31, however, (maybe 32) soon, is not terribly old for a QB, especially if he didn't start or play much in half of his eight seasons in the league.

Yeah, we really do not know what kind of shape he is in, or whether he is losing some of his skills. 31, however, (maybe 32) soon, is not terribly old for a QB, especially if he didn't start or play much in half of his eight seasons in the league.

Rich Gannon played 12 seasons before signing on with the Raiders. He played lights out his first 4 seasons there.

The last time I saw Orton play he looked pretty good, but that was about 2 1/2 years ago. He's getting up there in age, I hope his skills haven't

diminished too much.

he played at the end of last year when romo got hurt. He threw a pick at the end of the game at Philly. Otherwise he was 30-46 for 358 and 2 TDs in that game. He isn't that old, only 31 I believe.

is he a OK although very expensive insurance policy? absolutely. They overpaid very late in the pre season for OBD incompetence. Funny for a few mil more they would have had a 4 time pro bowl safety instead. And drafted their #2 in the second round. Sometimes Whaley makes good moves other times he makes head scratching moves. This one is the latter.

I think you should be the GM, because in your world everything nicely and easily falls into place. Every deal you want to make, the guy on the other end of the phone gives you exactly what you asked for immediately. Every free agent you call tells you they've been waiting to hear from you. It must be great to have the whole world bend to your will. I wish we had a GM that had such abilities. Clearly you do.

I think you should be the GM, because in your world everything nicely and easily falls into place. Every deal you want to make, the guy on the other end of the phone gives you exactly what you asked for immediately. Every free agent you call tells you they've been waiting to hear from you. It must be great to have the whole world bend to your will. I wish we had a GM that had such abilities. Clearly you do.

Nothing he said was wrong.

Nothing he said was wrong.

Signing Orton is not a head scratching move. It's a terrific move. Should he have got a veteran back up earlier? Sure. I was calling for it, too. But he wouldn't have got Orton and he wouldn't have been as good as Orton. The 5m means nothing to the bills. They are not in danger of the cap, 7m overall is not anything for the QB position. Would we want him in camp a little earlier? Sure. But he is not going to play in the first couple games, and even if he does, he will know the play book and be ready. These guys game plan and throw 20-30 plays in a week.

Given the choice of all the available backups from the winter until now, if we could have got someone earlier, I still probably would have wanted it to play out like this, and get the better guy with less time. The only two who were decent were Vick and McCown, and both wanted chances to start and wouldn't have chosen the Bills over the Bucs or jets.

Rex Grossman for a couple extra months or Orton? I'll take Orton.

And I don't even think Orton is very good. Wouldn't want him as my starter. But a veteran backup, as the thread is about, it's a great move by Whaley not a head scratcher. Ultimately, before the season started, he made the right play. If he would have gone into the season with Jeff Tuel as the backup, he could have been committed to an insane asylum.